Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 21:34   #31
BHPian

Re: My Jet has landed : The Fiat Linea TJet+

Quick Update

TJ and me completed our first long trip this past weekend. And it was awesome! The cruising capability is simply amazing. Driving around 100-120kmph (sustained) was super-smooth and tacho was around 2-2.5k RPM which meant that even that speed there was ample grunt left to overtake without down-shift. Family was comfortable and not fatigued. TJ overtook most cars in its price-range and even went neck to neck with a 220-CDI. 'To' journey was done in 4hrs and 'Fro' was done in 4.6hrs.

Distance= ~550kms
Route= Mumbai-Surat-Mumbai
Mileage= 13.9 kmpl (on MID, Avg)
Top Speed Achived= 150kmph (for a 1-2 seconds)
Time= Started from Kandivali (Mumbai) at ~4am and reached Surat (Jampa Bazaar) at 8am. Return journey started at ~4:30pm and reached back home at 9:00pm.

No Complaints, Only Smiles of Joy and Satisfaction So Far!!
Old 21st November 2012, 14:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Quick Update

TJ and me completed our first long trip this past weekend. And it was awesome! The cruising capability is simply amazing. Driving around 100-120kmph (sustained) was super-smooth and tacho was around 2-2.5k RPM which meant that even that speed there was ample grunt left to overtake without down-shift. Family was comfortable and not fatigued. TJ overtook most cars in its price-range and even went neck to neck with a 220-CDI. 'To' journey was done in 4hrs and 'Fro' was done in 4.6hrs.

Distance= ~550kms
Time= Started from Kandivali (Mumbai) at ~4am and reached Surat (Jampa Bazaar) at 8am. Return journey started at ~4:30pm and reached back home at 9:00pm.

I too went on a highway trip recently in my TJet and can relate to what you are saying The car is very satisfying to drive on the highway and I finally found use for the armrest as well as the dead pedal.

What was the wind noise like though ?
ZBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 15:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlue View Post
I too went on a highway trip recently in my TJet and can relate to what you are saying The car is very satisfying to drive on the highway and I finally found use for the armrest as well as the dead pedal.

What was the wind noise like though ?
Satisfying indeed! And I find the armrest very handy in the city as well. I usually hold the steering with my right hand while driving with the left elbow resting on the armrest and the left palm hovering aorund the gear lever. I prefer the single handed-position untill the car gains speeds (read above 80kmph) and then shift to two-hands on the steering with thumbs on the steering grooves. So the steering, armrest, gear lever are all good in my driving position. But the hand-brake is a tricky to access for sure.

I have read a lot about the windnoise from the front quarter glass, but frankly, with music on medium volume of around 10-12 (Stock HU/Speakers) I didn't hear anything unusual.

Also, Loved the grip provided by the Yokos. At highspeed changing lanes, braking, accelerating hard were all well controlled. So from me!
Old 21st November 2012, 15:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Quick Update

Distance= ~550kms

Hi

How are the roads to surat. planning a driving trip to amdavad soon. any areas of concern where construction ect is going on.
Old 21st November 2012, 15:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi

How are the roads to surat. planning a driving trip to amdavad soon. any areas of concern where construction ect is going on.
Mumbai to Surat was no problem. The roads are good once you pass the crowded areas of Mumbai. Road open up wide once we enter Gujrat and overtaking becomes easy. You may get traffic (truck-jams) before you cross Virar depending on the time of day. After Surat towards Ahmedabad, you will find construction in-progress on the Narmada river Bridge which slows down traffic (update from a colleague who did the route last week.

I got my route details from HVK (fellow team-bhpian) as always and the information was spot on. You could find him the Travel sub-forums and PM him too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Zenster : 21st November 2012 at 15:53.
Old 21st November 2012, 15:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I find the armrest very handy in the city as well. But the hand-brake is a tricky to access for sure.
The handrest can be adjusted in three levels.
If you keep it in the lowest level, using the handbreak should not be a problem.

Try the same and see if you are comfortable.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 15:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
If you keep it in the lowest level, using the handbreak should not be a problem.

Will try this and let you know. But then with the armrest tilting too far forward, my elbow may not be comfortable . Thanks for the usefull tip though.

-------

Another tip I read online: Voice command "Stop" is the only way to switch-off the USB Media Player. If used properly the lady responds with "Stopped" confirmation. If this command is not used and HU is turned-off from the volume knob, the USB Media player is actually paused (not OFF) and it will start playing as soon as we end a call or start the car the next time.
Hope this helps Blue&Me Novices like me!

Last edited by Zenster : 21st November 2012 at 16:04.
Zenster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 16:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

Could you please explain these levels ? My observation is this : when you are facing the passenger side window , the armrest only swivels in a clockwise direction (goes down) , or anti-clockwise (goes up). When bringing it down , it first locks slightly lower than midway , and then can be brought down some more by pressing the latch - with the latch pressed , it goes down to the lowest position (closest to the handbrake).

Is there some other adjustment possible ?
Old 21st November 2012, 16:45   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will try this and let you know. But then with the armrest tilting too far forward, my elbow may not be comfortable .
the armrest just moves up and down, there is no forward/backward movement of the armrest. So all you need to do is adjust your seat height to give you the best arm rest position

by the way, not sure how I missed this thread all these days. Hearty congratulations on the t-Jet zenster!This thread made for a fantastic read. Here's wishing you loads of miles and smiles of driving pleasure with your beast.

Quote:
Could you please explain these levels ? My observation is this : when you are facing the passenger side window , the armrest only swivels in a clockwise direction (goes down) , or anti-clockwise (goes up). When bringing it down , it first locks slightly lower than midway , and then can be brought down some more by pressing the latch - with the latch pressed , it goes down to the lowest position (closest to the handbrake).

There are 3 levels available. The first one is somewhat in an angle above horizontal (facing the audio system display). Press the knob and it goes down. The second level lock will be parallel to the gear level. The third level lock will point slightly downwards. I usually use the middle one.

There is no other adjustment possible for the front armrest. If you still find difference in height and difficulty in accessing the armrest, adjust the seat height itself to match your armrest position

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st November 2012 at 16:48.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 17:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
the armrest just moves up and down, there is no forward/backward movement of the armrest. So all you need to do is adjust your seat height to give you the best arm rest position

by the way, not sure how I missed this thread all these days. Hearty congratulations on the t-Jet zenster!This thread made for a fantastic read. Here's wishing you loads of miles and smiles of driving pleasure with your beast.
Thanks Karthik, glad you enjoyed reading it

Thanks for explaining the armrest action. I too use the middle one and find it extremely usefull. may be its the seat position I need to change for accessing hand-brake. But resting my elbow properly and not reaching too far forward for the frequent in-city gear changes are far more important for my usage compared to accessing the handbrake. So will adjust and try. Thanks again.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please explain these levels ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

There is no other adjustment possible for the front armrest. If you still find difference in height and difficulty in accessing the armrest, adjust the seat height itself to match your armrest position
Hope the same is explained to your satisfaction by KarthikK.

Even at the lowest position the elbow level remains the same, only the front end is lowered.

You need to choose the position that is most comfortable for your driving style.
Old 27th November 2012, 16:19   #42
BHPian

Awright friends!! I officially need to report a Problem, a serious Problem with the 'TJ+' Ownership.

I have now owned it for exactly a month and meters read a total of 2100kms. But now after spending so much time, I didn't see this coming. I didn't know it could give me Sleepless Nights and Very Distracted Days. I really dont know how to explain this, I told my wife about it. She knows and supports my Love for TJ+ and even she thinks I'm Loosing it!

I will soon see a doctor for sleeping pills for this sudden Insomnia.

Everyone here read about how I was trying to run-in the engine and how I was baby-ing the car around town because it was so new and blah and Blah-blah! And now that the car feels nicely settled and all, I decided to start having some fun with it. I decided to open the throttle a lot more than I was doing to see how it feels. It was Tailor Made for that right?

And so I did, I started to convert my thoughts into actions and my God does it feel great! The Insomnia I am talking about is because when I leave my office at 10:30pm after a 10 hour long, tiring day and get into the TJ+ for a drive back home, I get so charged that I cant sleep once I reach home. The 30-40min drive sets my adrenaline pumping and I am wide awake for another 10hr day. And while leaving home for work, I feel lazy just like anyone else, but the drive is enough to set my mood. The drive is so addictive and so much fun that even while writing this I can hear the deep growl of the engine and surging torque in my body! My TJ+ is doing things to me and I'm loving it.

Note to Mods: The above statements do not promote rash/negligent driving or road-racing in anyway. I apologise if it seems that way and hope the post will not offend anyone.

For the more mathematically inclined:
KMs Covered: ~1800 (Mostly city drive with a 550kms trip to Surat and back)
Refuelled: 5 times (It would have been 4 if it was not for the Surat trip, but I'm not complaining) tried both IO and BP pumps and found BP pumps showing better FE figures on the MID. I refuel to a full tank once the low-fuel light comes-up.
FE in the MID: 9, 9.5, 9.5, 13.9 and 8.8 kmpl (I reset the trip meter at every refill, hence the different figures for all refuels, the higher number is the highway drive)
New Modifications: None, apart from the parking sensors that were covered in earlier posts
Issues: None with the car mechanically. Just that the Driver Seat height adjustment lever gets pressed with my leg everytime I exit the car. Will speak to the SA during first service. Also, RC Card Name correction is still pending as the Sales Rep's Team is busy with Fiat Trainings for the new Fiat Showrom in Balaji Thane. Hope he collects it soon for correction.

As always your questions, suggestions and comments are welcome!

P.S: After the details for the Armrest provided by our friends Sommos and KartikK, I found that I was using the lowest position all this while and it continues to be a great boon for my daily driving too.
Old 27th November 2012, 16:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster
Awright friends!! I officially need to report a Problem, a serious Problem with the 'TJ+' Ownership.

I have now owned it for exactly a month and meters read a total of 2100kms. But now after spending so much time, I didn't see this coming. I didn't know it could give me Sleepless Nights and Very Distracted Days. I really dont know how to explain this, I told my wife about it. She knows and supports my Love for TJ+ and even she thinks I'm Loosing it!

I will soon see a doctor for sleeping pills for this sudden Insomnia.

And so I did, I started to convert my thoughts into actions and my God does it feel great! The Insomnia I am talking about is because when I leave my office at 10:30pm after a 10 hour long, tiring day and get into the TJ+ for a drive back home, I get so charged that I cant sleep once I reach home. The 30-40min drive sets my adrenaline pumping and I am wide awake for another 10hr day. And while leaving home for work, I feel lazy just like anyone else, but the drive is enough to set my mood. The drive is so addictive and so much fun that even while writing this I can hear the deep growl of the engine and surging torque in my body! My TJ+ is doing things to me and I'm loving it.

Note to Mods: The above statements do not promote rash/negligent driving or road-racing in anyway. I apologise if it seems that way and hope the post will not offend anyone.
That's why we all are enthusiasts aren't we?
After a nice drive you should be relaxed but guess you are enjoying it too much. It's similar action to caffeine, too much is harmful.

And seriously on a longterm it isn't too good for your heart. Enjoy safely!
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 16:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
That's why we all are enthusiasts aren't we?
After a nice drive you should be relaxed but guess you are enjoying it too much. It's similar action to caffeine, too much is harmful.

And seriously on a longterm it isn't too good for your heart. Enjoy safely!
I agree mate! But we all "Live to Drive" dont we? And besides, I now know what Ayrton Senna meant when he said "If you see a gap and don't go for it, you are no longer a racing driver". I know I'm not a racing driver, but by-god TJ+ makes me feel like one
Old 27th November 2012, 22:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster

I agree mate! But we all "Live to Drive" dont we? And besides, I now know what Ayrton Senna meant when he said "If you see a gap and don't go for it, you are no longer a racing driver". I know I'm not a racing driver, but by-god TJ+ makes me feel like one
I am sure you can share your zen techniques to sleep with everyone

I was driving at night yesterday and had tough time sleeping, I can imagine those open roads everyday before you get home

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks