Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 17:11   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Found an interesting addendum while going thru the owners manual.

Attachment 1027286

Different Track, weight, acceleration.
So it has a narrower track? Thats odd. The Acceleration looks the same to be. And 30 kg's more is probably due to the sunroof.
Old 15th December 2012, 17:39   #32
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. To know how to multi-quote, click here. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Hey prithwi, that's a COOL color on a very capable car! Congrats on your new purchase. We were looking forward to see the car during our meet last night, pity you couldn't join in...

Wish you happy mile crunching on your new possession...

PS: do you drive on mehrauli-badarpur road (essentially near qutub minar/ Saket) as I have seen this colored vRS in this area a couple of times.
Yup.. That's me... I live around there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post

Is this a 2011 car? When did the price drop? Here they are quoting 19.56 OTR Mumbai for a 2012 car. Discount of Insurance plus 25K only.
Yes It's a 2011, Dec built. There are very few 2012s and MSRP is not justified. Skodas is offering 2011s for 13.99, free insurance+skoda shield. Add corp disc of 35k. And voila. My company pays insurance+reg, so that's saving for me.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2012 at 16:52. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 15th December 2012, 20:45   #33
BHPian

Thanks for the review! Love the color. The only thing I don't like about the vRS is the 'stilts on wheels' stance.

Quote:
Spoiler on this car is just for looks. A real rear spoiler on a FWD car would spell disaster. Adds downforce on the wrong end. You want to make this care a bit more aerodynamics, add a functional front splitter, and a functional rear diffuser. None exists in the aftermarket for this car so its going to be a custom job.
Perhaps you're right about the vRS not needing the wing. But in FWD race cars to counter the inherent understeer, things are needed to induce more oversteer - larger offset front tyres, thicker rear sway bars, removing front sway bar, LSD, more aggressive negative camber..all these upset the rear balance and to regain stability, a rear wing is mandatory - a splitter by itself would create understeer. With both splitter and a spoiler, late braking and getting on the gas earlier could be possible! At least, this is what I remember seeing in a Discovery Turbo show.
Old 16th December 2012, 00:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Yes It's a 2011, Dec built. There are very few 2012s and MSRP is not justified. Skodas is offering 2011s for 13.99, free insurance+skoda shield. Add corp disc of 35k. And voila. My company pays insurance+reg, so that's saving for me.
Very surprising.

Unfortunately no such luck here, buddy. A friend of mine (quite enamored and inspired by my RS) has recently made inquiries at a couple of dealerships here in Mumbai. Thanks to my push too, now he's almost zeroed in buying one in the next few weeks. All the dealerships he's spoke with are quoting a standard corporate discount of Rs. 35-50 K on the 2011 manufactured RS. No waiver of any sort on the Skoda Shield. Even if he were to bargain some, it would still come to about Rs. 16 L ex-showroom - which I suspect will stack up to Rs. 18-18.5 L OTR.

Overall, still a difference of about Rs. 2 L even if I were to exclude insurance and registration which is taken care of in your case by your employer. Any thoughts why?
Old 16th December 2012, 19:07   #35
BHPian

Dont know why. I inquired from my Dealer and he said that the offer was still valid. 2011 models @ 13.99 Ex Showroom.

Interior Shots
Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-dsc_0746.jpg

Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-dsc_0748.jpg

Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-dsc_0752.jpg

Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-dsc_0756.jpg

A quick shot with my buddy's Punto 1.4
Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-dsc_0741.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Fabulous report and that blue is simply mindblowing and is slowly becoming popular as a few other manafacturers have started offering this color

This would have been the color I would have picked if available in a Cruze

Nice to know you experienced an STi ( my ertwhile most popular car) now its a GTR

My dream garage would be a Cruze (Blue), Laura RS (yellow) and an STi (White) and GTR (Red)

First two for daily commute and last two for weekend track days

Look forward to more pics of your car

Drive Safe !!!
Nice choice.. I'd prefer a R35 GTR and a LFA for the Track.

An Evo X MR is a good commuter car especially with the slick SST, but overkill in Indian traffic. HOW you drive ur GTR here with our roads is mindblowing....

STI's are no longer that special, especially with the new body style since 2008... Plus the car hasnt evolved as the Evo has. Its criminal for subaru to keep the engine and drivetrain same as 2003... Lets hope they can do some good with the BRZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Thanks for the review! Love the color. The only thing I don't like about the vRS is the 'stilts on wheels' stance.

Perhaps you're right about the vRS not needing the wing. But in FWD race cars to counter the inherent understeer, things are needed to induce more oversteer - larger offset front tyres, thicker rear sway bars, removing front sway bar, LSD, more aggressive negative camber..all these upset the rear balance and to regain stability, a rear wing is mandatory - a splitter by itself would create understeer. With both splitter and a spoiler, late braking and getting on the gas earlier could be possible! At least, this is what I remember seeing in a Discovery Turbo show.
All the above mentioned mods, sans splitter, and camber would be good for a FWD drag car, but for daily use.. no go...

Splitter helps reduce lift in front which inherently helps improve front grip, improve high speed stability.

Rear Spoiler is of no use.. for the simple reason its adds down force on the rear of the car. Rear wing which can generate some lift would do wonders for mid corner handling, but at high speeds it can critically de-stablize the car. A rear diffuser YES. does the same but to a much less degree than a big wing.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2012 at 16:53. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 20:58   #36
BHPian

Dear Prithwi,

Fantastic Car. Since you have very good knowledge of Laura, I would like to ask -Is it possible to replace Laura Ambient's front bumper with Vrs??

Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 21:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Dear Prithwi,

Fantastic Car. Since you have very good knowledge of Laura, I would like to ask -Is it possible to replace Laura Ambient's front bumper with Vrs??

Thanks
Yes. You will need a few extra parts, DRL LEDs, and new fogs, and some electrical work. However the ambient doesn't have the xenons, so ordering the bumper from your local Skoda dealer won't help. Get fogs n DRL from local Skoda, get non xenon+non park assist bumper from any online store that ships to India. And enjoy. Don't know if the bumper beams are the same on both cars, though I suspect it should.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 22:52   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Dear Prithwi,

Thanks
Quote:
Yes. You will need a few extra parts, DRL LEDs, and new fogs, and some electrical work. However the ambient doesn't have the xenons, so ordering the bumper from your local Skoda dealer won't help. Get fogs n DRL from local Skoda, get non xenon+non park assist bumper from any online store that ships to India. And enjoy. Don't know if the bumper beams are the same on both cars, though I suspect it should.

Its possible to get the bumper with fogs,DRLs etc. from the dealer itself. The xenons have nothing to do with the bumper, its a separate unit. Besides I dont think the VRS has front park assist like the L&K.
The whole set comes to around 45K apart from painting and installation charges. A lot of guys down south have done it. The DRL's are the most expensive part at around 24K per pair.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 09:58   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely pictures.
I just love the instrument cluster of laura - eligant and pleasing, white font on black dials...I can't stand the blue and orange and red and purple and what not colors used by other manufacturers.

The front seats of the vRS look extra special.

Enjoy!
Old 18th December 2012, 14:51   #40
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Speaking of dials, orange/red lighting is considered best on sports cars as they are on the low end of the spectrum, and dont disturb the driver much, while being easier to read..

Almost all sports cars i've driven, Honda Si's, STIs, Evos (upto 9), Audis (except for the V10 R8) have red gauges. Infact there was a huge uproar among Audi owners when they switched the R8 V10 to white gauges while keeping the V8's gauges Red.

Personally I prefer red gauges, with a permanent backlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Its possible to get the bumper with fogs,DRLs etc. from the dealer itself. The xenons have nothing to do with the bumper, its a separate unit. Besides I dont think the VRS has front park assist like the L&K.
The whole set comes to around 45K apart from painting and installation charges. A lot of guys down south have done it. The DRL's are the most expensive part at around 24K per pair.
You can do with the VRS bumpers from the Dealer as well. The only issue with this is that the India VRS comes with the Xenons, and the bumper available in India comes pre drilled for the headlight washers, which are absent in the Ambiente models. So you'd have to either glue these to the bumper or have some workaround. Plus i dont know if there will be any fitment issues. Its doable but its messy job. Personally I'd get a bumper from one of the online shops as it would avoid unwanted issues.

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th December 2012 at 14:19. Reason: back to back posts. Please refrain
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 15:15   #41
BHPian

Part List for Amibente front end conversion to VRS Front End.
Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-front-bumper-rs.jpg
Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-drl.jpg
Skoda Laura VRS - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-vrs-fogs.jpg

Total Part Cost -559.97 Euro equals 40417.63 Indian Rupee, + Shipping and Handling + Customs/Excise Duty + Installation

Is it worth it? Depends on how much free cashflow you have :-)

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 18th December 2012 at 15:19.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 15:16   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Almost all sports cars i've driven, Honda Si's, STIs, Evos (upto 9), Audis (except for the V10 R8) have red gauges. Infact there was a huge uproar among Audi owners when they switched the R8 V10 to white gauges while keeping the V8's gauges Red.

Glad that I have a Skoda and can not afford an Audi.
I have also seen some Audis with grey steering and dashboard. That rekindled my love for Skoda :-)

And special thanks for clarifying that a rear spoiler is pointless on a FWD car and infact be counterproductive. You saved me a some money there.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 18th December 2012 at 15:20.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Part List for Amibente front end conversion to VRS Front End.
Attachment 1028583
Attachment 1028584
Attachment 1028585

Total Part Cost -559.97 Euro equals 40417.63 Indian Rupee, + Shipping and Handling + Customs/Excise Duty + Installation

Is it worth it? Depends on how much free cashflow you have :-)
This is where the company lease fuel and maintenance cashflow comes in Mr P. .....now waiting for you to sell the black Ambiente to me for peanuts
Old 20th December 2012, 00:09   #44
BHPian

Barges in a little late on this thread, but an awesome review. Laura vRS seems to have struck all the right chords with you considering you went for one even after owning the Ambiente variant. I specially liked the steering wheel comparo. Thanks for sharing.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 21:54   #45
BHPian

prithwi-81 ! Something offtopic. I spotted you a few days back going from Delhi to gurgaon via Expressway, the day vintage rally was held (Sunday).
The silver fiat with team bhp sticker is yours right?

Most Viewed