Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 22:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Cheap Thrills! Preowned Skoda Octavia vRS

Congrats pal... be rest assured, the vRS can give the 3'er, A4's or the C a run for their money! Drive safe and have fun!
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 23:50   #17
BHPian

Congrats on a banging deal on an Octy VRS. Great choice buddy... You will thoroughly enjoy the car for sure. Be a bit careful when pushing it in the winters right after startup, as there is a slight overboost possibility.

I'm in GGN most of the time, so will see you around there hopefully. Wave to a fellow VRS owner when u see one !!
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 15:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikhyath View Post
Cesc,

I wondered for long how experienced used car buyers decide the right price to buy a car. Please enumerate the different aspects you look at while judging the "right" price to pay which is also acceptable to the seller.

Congrats on your new buy.
I can only tell you what I feel. There is no one 'right' price in the used car market as there are expectations - both on the buyer as well as seller side. Expectations are personal so they need not be rational. IMO one should always be patient as far as buying used is concerned. Do not hurry into any deal and absolutely go over the car in detail before buying. Accident history, no. of owners, the car's brand, condition of tyres, insurance status, service history, the car's owner are all important aspects to consider. If the car satisfies you then you should quote a significant amount over dealer prices (if buying from individual). By significant I mean 5-7% over what a dealer would pay for a similar car. If the seller is sensible then you can hope to hit a common ground and close the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Speaking of which - Have you looked at some VRS essentials, considering your mileage - Please check out Ajmat's thread on the essentials.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...les-heels.html

What about updates to the clutch and the essential timing belt.

Thanks - ML.
ML - The timing belt along with tensioners was changed at A** at 72k kms in Aug'11. The clutch and DMF are stock and are fine. Am not too sure about the water pump. I have a friendly SA at A** so I will just have him check out is that has been replaced. I am not having much of a trouble with the car (touchwood). Only thing is the car is noisy for the 45-60 secs after its first start in the morning. That is the only issue so far with the car. I have a clue to what might be causing that (worn rivets on the secondary air pump) and plan to have it checked when I have some time. I also know that coil packs will hit me sooner or later. Not too bothered about those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Congrats on a banging deal on an Octy VRS. Great choice buddy... You will thoroughly enjoy the car for sure. Be a bit careful when pushing it in the winters right after startup, as there is a slight overboost possibility.

I'm in GGN most of the time, so will see you around there hopefully. Wave to a fellow VRS owner when u see one !!
Prithwi - your VRS would be hard to miss mate. All congrats to you. You have got a beauty. Let me know when the corp lease on that runs out

I NEVER thrash my car from cold and always give it 20-30 sec cool down before shutting it down. That was my first lesson for cars with a turbo.

Now that you mention overboost - a few days ago I was going outside Gurgaon at 7 in the morning. I waited for the engine temps to rise because I was in bit of ahurry but they just wouldn't (outside temp was 4 degrees). After 10 odd minutes I gave it the beans anyway and for my entire trip of 100 or so kms I consistently drove fast. Engine temp never came close to 90 degrees. It stayed in the 60-70 degrees territory. During that trip i also felt that the car was pulling much stronger than usual in the turbo zone. You reckon it could be down to overboost? Should I refrain from pushing the car too much if the engine is not up to operating temp?
Old 9th January 2013, 16:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post

Only thing is the car is noisy for the 45-60 secs after its first start in the morning. That is the only issue so far with the car. I have a clue to what might be causing that (worn rivets on the secondary air pump) and plan to have it checked when I have some time. I also know that coil packs will hit me sooner or later. Not too bothered about those.

Congrats on finding a clean vRS in the used car market.

Secondary air pump??? Hmm, what's that?

BTW, not sure I really understood what you said about the engine temperature. Throughtout the 100 km drive the coolant temperature did not rise to the optimum 90 degrees? That's strange. Should be diagnosed, IMO.
Old 9th January 2013, 21:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:

I can only tell you what I feel. There is no one 'right' price in the used car market as there are expectations - both on the buyer as well as seller side. Expectations are personal so they need not be rational. IMO one should always be patient as far as buying used is concerned. Do not hurry into any deal and absolutely go over the car in detail before buying. Accident history, no. of owners, the car's brand, condition of tyres, insurance status, service history, the car's owner are all important aspects to consider. If the car satisfies you then you should quote a significant amount over dealer prices (if buying from individual). By significant I mean 5-7% over what a dealer would pay for a similar car. If the seller is sensible then you can hope to hit a common ground and close the deal.

ML - The timing belt along with tensioners was changed at A** at 72k kms in Aug'11. The clutch and DMF are stock and are fine. Am not too sure about the water pump. I have a friendly SA at A** so I will just have him check out is that has been replaced. I am not having much of a trouble with the car (touchwood). Only thing is the car is noisy for the 45-60 secs after its first start in the morning. That is the only issue so far with the car. I have a clue to what might be causing that (worn rivets on the secondary air pump) and plan to have it checked when I have some time. I also know that coil packs will hit me sooner or later. Not too bothered about those.

Prithwi - your VRS would be hard to miss mate. All congrats to you. You have got a beauty. Let me know when the corp lease on that runs out

I NEVER thrash my car from cold and always give it 20-30 sec cool down before shutting it down. That was my first lesson for cars with a turbo.

Now that you mention overboost - a few days ago I was going outside Gurgaon at 7 in the morning. I waited for the engine temps to rise because I was in bit of ahurry but they just wouldn't (outside temp was 4 degrees). After 10 odd minutes I gave it the beans anyway and for my entire trip of 100 or so kms I consistently drove fast. Engine temp never came close to 90 degrees. It stayed in the 60-70 degrees territory. During that trip i also felt that the car was pulling much stronger than usual in the turbo zone. You reckon it could be down to overboost? Should I refrain from pushing the car too much if the engine is not up to operating temp?
That's not over boost.... that's the beauty of a turbo car. If the ambient air is cold, your cars performance picks up around 5-6hp and boost response is much stronger due to the dense air. Enjoy the extra power while the weather lasts..
Old 9th January 2013, 21:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

2.25L!! Even if you spend 1L in petrol and spares over the next 2 years before you sell it, say for 1.5-1.75L - you would have had the best 2 years of car ownership in your life!!
Old 10th January 2013, 00:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the VRS. It was always a dream to buy an octy for me and more so the VRS however Skoda stories kept me away and I settled for a Type 2 Honda Vtec.

Somewhere down I did feel that maybe I should have got the VRS but then the Vtec too has kept me happy and revving.

Drive Safe.
Desmosedici is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 13:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's not over boost.... that's the beauty of a turbo car. If the ambient air is cold, your cars performance picks up around 5-6hp and boost response is much stronger due to the dense air. Enjoy the extra power while the weather lasts..

Well, in winter all engines breath better, but regardless, the coolant temperature should reach optimum (90 degrees) within first few kilometers. I can't understand how it can remain at 60/70 even after 100 km of driving...
Old 10th January 2013, 13:58   #24
BHPian

@svsantosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Secondary air pump??? Hmm, what's that?

BTW, not sure I really understood what you said about the engine temperature. Throughtout the 100 km drive the coolant temperature did not rise to the optimum 90 degrees? That's strange. Should be diagnosed, IMO.
The secondary air pump blows hot air into cat to bring it up to temperature (or so I have read).

Yup - the coolant temp did not rise to 90 degrees even after driving for 100 kms. I was driving in very cold conditions (outside temp did not rise above 5 degrees throughout the journey) and most of the route was covered in fog and thinly populated. In 3 years of driving Octys that was the first time that the coolant temp did not rise to 90 even after driving so much.

Quote:
Well the diesel Octy also used to drive better in cold conditions but the difference on the VRS was very noticeable. I did enjoy the drive. If 5-7 extra horses can make the car feel so different then I am wondering what a good remap would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Well, in winter all engines breath better, but regardless, the coolant temperature should reach optimum (90 degrees) within first few kilometers. I can't understand how it can remain at 60/70 even after 100 km of driving...
So you reckon there is a problem? The coolant temp sensors can play truant but this was the only time this has happened on the VRS. I have driven 4k kms on the car till now.

Last edited by Cesc : 10th January 2013 at 14:00.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:16   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So you reckon there is a problem? The coolant temp sensors can play truant but this was the only time this has happened on the VRS. I have driven 4k kms on the car till now.
The coolant sensors of the vRS are failure points and cause wrong mixtures. It is a Rs 3000 + 15 min fix (engine needs to be cold though!)

Last edited by ajmat : 10th January 2013 at 14:18.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye

I really understood what you said about the engine temperature. Throughtout the 100 km drive the coolant temperature did not rise to the optimum 90 degrees? That's strange. Should be diagnosed, IMO.
I agree , mine reaches the 90 mark pretty quick and stays there, worth having a look.

Best - ML
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 15:29   #27
BHPian

Had to happen. No - nothing wrong with the car (touchwood) - but problem elsewhere. My monthly running has shot up to 3,500 kms per month. Actually I got a job offer I couldn't refuse. My new office is now 46 kms away from my home whereas my old one was just 6 kms away. So my fuel bills are mounting like anything. I am spending around 14-15k in fuel alone. My new company has pretty nice car lease option but I definitely don't want to part with the VRS as I really do love driving it. I have some decisions to make!
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:16   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had to happen. No - nothing wrong with the car (touchwood) - but problem elsewhere. My monthly running has shot up to 3,500 kms per month. Actually I got a job offer I couldn't refuse. My new office is now 46 kms away from my home whereas my old one was just 6 kms away. So my fuel bills are mounting like anything. I am spending around 14-15k in fuel alone. My new company has pretty nice car lease option but I definitely don't want to part with the VRS as I really do love driving it. I have some decisions to make!
Easy! Get a diesel from the company under the lease option, and use the vRS as a weekend/highway car.
Old 26th March 2013, 08:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
My monthly running has shot up to 3,500 kms per month. Actually I got a job offer I couldn't refuse. My new office is now 46 kms away from my home whereas my old one was just 6 kms away. So my fuel bills are mounting like anything. I am spending around 14-15k in fuel alone.
Congrats on the new job Cesc. I know this may sound away from the tested norm. if you try driving the RS in the economy mode. its actually not that bad, try this out, try to move to the 5th gear say speeds sound 60 and for drives on the open road, try to switch on the cruise control and then see the magic. I typically keep my car in the range of 80 and with cruise control. My approach keeps me happy from a wallet perspective, so on the weekends when i am the mood for some fun i change modes of driving. I am very pleased with the FE. Else try to get a diesel hatch like others have recommended already.

Best -
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 13:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Congrats on the new job Cesc. I know this may sound away from the tested norm. if you try driving the RS in the economy mode. its actually not that bad, try this out, try to move to the 5th gear say speeds sound 60 and for drives on the open road, try to switch on the cruise control and then see the magic. I typically keep my car in the range of 80 and with cruise control. My approach keeps me happy from a wallet perspective, so on the weekends when i am the mood for some fun i change modes of driving. I am very pleased with the FE. Else try to get a diesel hatch like others have recommended already.

Best -
Thanks ML. Actually I have started doing all that already. I am driving it exactly the way you have mentioned and try to use cruise control at least on the Expressway. Cruise control does make alot of difference. By the way I am commuting to Noida daily from Gurgaon. The FE I am getting is not bad. With AC on I am getting an FE of over 12 and in the evenings the FE goes above 13. In fact on ocassions when I have left office late (post 8 pm) - I have managed even 14 kmpl. So not all that bad. In fact I very much intended to get a diesel hatch initially but the FE I am getting has prompted a rethink. I do enjoy driving the VRS so am willing to spend few grands extra on fuel. I will be watching my fuel bills for a couple of months and then take a call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks