Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2013, 02:41   #16
BHPian

Re: My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)

Congratulations!! Both on the car and the excellent review you have conjured.

I am at the same place you were probably a year ago. Taking test drives of the same cars as you did and getting more and more confused. You excellent comparo leaves me with much more visual information than I had a few minutes ago. At this point in time, looking at the pictures side by side, my heart is now tilting towards Vento (well, whom am I kidding! It always was).

I am more interested in your comment that the much lamented handbrake position does not bother you at all. Is it because you do not use the handrest?
Maverift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 12:56   #17
BHPian

Excellent review!!! 5-star material!

I recently drove my friend's new Vento TDI HL and i must say that i was mighty impressed. The quality of materials used inside is top rate and gave a truly premium feel. While i do not mind having extra gizmos in my car, i somehow found the features in the Vento, useful and sufficient. I always thought the Verna had nice interiors but this was a notch better in terms of touch and feel!The steering wheel with the mounted controls was good to hold and the gear stick (which my friend told me, was borrowed from the Jetta!I'm not sure though cuz i've never sat in one!) was brilliant.You do have to stretch quite a bit if not use the other hand to work the horn .The Garmin GPS device is a good to have. The Rapid is a good buy in itself but these are some of the features which i thought will urge you to go for the Vento.But i did miss the auto folding mirrors which is a must have especially in the Bangalore chaos!!!

On the engine front though,i have mixed feelings. Enough has been said about the 'rocket' engine that is. There was very less/no turbo lag whatsoever which is a good thing. But i did not get that "push you back into the seat and hit you hard" kind of feeling when the turbo kicks in,as in the Swift/Dzire.I know that the Vento has a more linear power delivery and by no means it was slow but i did expect some rush once you cross 2000rpm.Could this be because it was a new car and would open up as you clock miles?Or is it the way it is as i've described?

All in all,a brilliant review and an awesome car.

Happy mile munching!
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 09:11   #18
BHPian

Congrats on your Vento TDI HL.
I loved the comparison with Skoda which is rather unappealing inspite of being a Vento mostly.
First of all I have the same exact seat covers on my ride and they have been quite comfy and nice. I have two kids so the light colored VW upholstery is very risky as far as I am concerned. Also I don't very much like leather to sit on so "Elegant" seat covers are good. Intially I too had a problem with the stock headlights which if I remember right are rated at 55 or 60W per lamp. I upgraded to 110 W but for that had to use a "current amp" known as "cutout". I got it done without any wiring or headlamp cuts. The bulbs are very easy to replace but the cutout you probably need to take help from a reliable accessory vendor. Philips / OSRAM are the good brands and have normal looking "yellow" lights of higher wattage.
I am blown away by the FE I get on diesel especially at highways where if you drive at a steady speed of around 80 or 90 I think the car can touch 20+ kpl for a TDI which is awesome for a sedan. I have done this but I am a bit of a spirited driver on the new 4 lane / 6 lane highways and my Black KNight is steady as a rock munching miles.
I have done 2 servicings so far and the average cost was around 10K which I feel is comparable to a petrol sedan which goes for servicing usually at 5000 kms or 6 months. Service experience was good and also I need some support when the underwarranty fuel line started leaking some fuel when I was in Hyd. Called the VW support who promptly send a flatbed and took the car to VW Hyd workshop did the work and send it back charging me only labor charges. Anyway the A.S.S experience so far has been good and I am amazed by this product.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 13:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Many Congratulations DieselDon for the VW Vento TDI HL.
I think this is the best diesel car in India.
Wish you many happy mile munching with your Vento.
Enjoy your ride and drive safe.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 19:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
@ ~ 1
Dislikes :-
  • Low speed behavior over speed humps/road imperfections & the 'thud' effect.
  • Headlights are poor for highways. (Need to see what I can do without risking warranty)
  • Under-thigh Support could have been better.
  • Poor Rear Visibility (or I need to get accustomed)
  • The most 'refreshed' model. (The next version is already out before my ownership thread)
  • Personally the steering could have been better.
  • Could have had the 'trapezoidal' VW Passat type foglamps.
This thread would not be complete without mentioning my sincere heartfelt THANKS to team-bhp.
I am indebted to the forum & various members who helped/guided me through my thought process.
Which refresh model are you referring to.....
What extra does it have?
Old 20th February 2013, 13:02   #21
BHPian

That's one helluva review mate! neat stuff! and congrats on your new buy!

What's this fascination with the yellow boards for people in AP??

Your friend seems to have made a proper fiber plate with the temp registration number!! Don't you guys ever get caught with the police???
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 18:16   #22
BHPian

Thanks a Ton to everyone for the nice words !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You did change your preference quite a bit from the last conversations we had.
I cannot agree more. Manza > Rapid > Duster > Ertiga > (finally) Vento - Over 2 years. As I went for more and more test drives, at a point I just wanted a new Indica. But sense prevailed. Thanks to TBHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
I see the Rapid sitting slightly lower than the Vento in the above pictures. Is that the reason the Rapid feels better planted?
It might be that way. But frankly, I did not notice any marked change between the drives in both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I feel you have placed the GPS unit way too distant. I personally would have placed it closer to the driver, mounted on the dash than the windshield.
I was not able to mount it on the Dash. Due to the non-plain surface, the suction cup is not working.
I prefered the current position, since I do not need shift my eyes too much from the road, while looking for directions/reversing (using camera feed/rear view mirror)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
So could you figure out what those welding spots are? I would also like to know if someone has more detail about them.
Nope. I did not investigate too much on the weld spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Those fabric seat covers look completely out of place. Please reconsider.
The home minister has all the cards on color/fabric/etc. Only the vehicle choice is mine(as per our agreement. LOL).
Moreover, my second kid is on the way (infact anytime now). With 2 kids, these spill-proof seat covers were realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
do update on the headlights issue if and when you change them.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverift View Post
I am more interested in your comment that the much lamented handbrake position does not bother you at all. Is it because you do not use the handrest?
Over time, I now am able to use the handbrake & handrest without any issues. Just need to perfect the technique (pull up with fingers rather than the palm of the hand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
You do have to stretch quite a bit if not use the other hand to work the horn .
Horn is not as accessible as my Indica for starters. As a result, I am honking lesser now. My contribution to reduce noise pollution.
Quote:
But i did miss the auto folding mirrors which is a must have especially in the Bangalore chaos!!!
I would rather leave the side mirrors in open position in busy traffic. There is a faint chance that the traffic notices the mirrors open & keeps a safe distance.
Quote:
There was very less/no turbo lag whatsoever which is a good thing. But i did not get that "push you back into the seat and hit you hard" kind of feeling when the turbo kicks in,as in the Swift/Dzire.I know that the Vento has a more linear power delivery and by no means it was slow but i did expect some rush once you cross 2000rpm.Could this be because it was a new car and would open up as you clock miles?Or is it the way it is as i've described?
In my 1600 odd kms experience, no feeling yet of the turbo-under-the-hood. The turbo raises its head at times & not always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I upgraded to 110 W but for that had to use a "current amp" known as "cutout". I got it done without any wiring or headlamp cuts. The bulbs are very easy to replace but the cutout you probably need to take help from a reliable accessory vendor. Philips / OSRAM are the good brands and have normal looking "yellow" lights of higher wattage.
Given that your service triops have been smooth, I guess I can upgrade before the highway trip season. No warranty issues - Right ? or Not ?. Beyond a point, I may have to just ignore the 'warranty' part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I am blown away by the FE I get on diesel especially at highways where if you drive at a steady speed of around 80 or 90 I think the car can touch 20+ kpl for a TDI which is awesome for a sedan.
True, the good FE range is inbetween 80-100 kmpl in 5th gear. or if inside city @ 1100 RPM (preferably in 3/4/5 gears).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
What's this fascination with the yellow boards for people in AP??
Your friend seems to have made a proper fiber plate with the temp registration number!! Don't you guys ever get caught with the police???
The vehicles were fresh of the mint when the pictures were taken. As soon as we got the Registration Numbers, the yellow boards were gone.
Skoda Hyd gave a fibre plate with temp registration number. VW Hyd put stickers. Booo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
Which refresh model are you referring to.....What extra does it have?
Frankly, I have actually lost track of the versions.

Based on initial feedback, the Vento got the 3W3 Noise Suppression & L54 Suspension (as on Rapid specs). Later came the Steering Mounted Controls, Reverse Parking Sensors, Leatherette Seats, USB, GPS/Reverse Camera Integration & now Mobile Bluetooth integration in various versions. Meanwhile, the alloy wheels also went for a change (as I hear - were downgraded).

My version, does not have the latest 2013 mobile bluetooth integration (newer HU).
Old 20th February 2013, 21:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats !! Wish you a great ownership experience. Nice coverage of all aspects with those prolific pictures.

I especially like the alloys of the new Vento. Those 5 spokes look great.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 20:13   #24
BHPian

Congrats on the new car DD, a very well balanced and unbiased report. Wow, 11 test drives. As we already have 3 blue cars in the family, we may consider the same color as your. I am yet to see it in person though. Blue and White look really classy.

Your report and a couple of others helped me confirm my decision of Vento over the Rapid at the same price range. 2 dealers over the monopoly from Skoda. Where are you planning to get it serviced, Gachibowli one? Looks like you stay some where close to Hitech City.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 17:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Congrats on the new car DD, a very well balanced and unbiased report. Wow, 11 test drives.
Thanks @indian21r. 11 test drives over 2 yrs. & VW did itz bit to increase the test drives by upgrading the vehicle bit by bit.

Quote:
Your report and a couple of others helped me confirm my decision of Vento over the Rapid at the same price range. 2 dealers over the monopoly from Skoda.
Congratulations. Deciding is the hard part.

Quote:
Where are you planning to get it serviced, Gachibowli one? Looks like you stay some where close to Hitech City.
Yes. Am put up at Kondapur. Would be visiting the Gachibowli one.
Old 26th March 2013, 21:53   #26
BHPian

Great thread. The car is an absolute stunner. Hope to see more long term FE figures coming our way. Enjoy every mile in your VW.

Quote:
Need to slim down I guess.
Hehe! A car that pampers you as well as your health! A true well-wisher.

Quote:
And the beloved Nokia E72 with voice guided maps can take a rest & do the duty outside India.
My dad's Lumia does the same duty in our December 2012 Rapid.

Quote:
On locking, the confirmation honk/light blinks do not come up if any of the doors(including boot)/glasses are open. Super Nice.

If you use the key to unlock the driver door, the honk is missing & other doors do not open automatically. Neat.
My Rapid does not have a confirmation honk. Could you please tell me any way to activate the same?

Quote:
The battery is maintenance free. No touching it till it conks. Any downsides?
There IS a catch. My dad enquired about the battery costs. The dealer said that Exide(if I remember it correctly) has a monopoly over the manufacture of such concealed terminal batteries. He quoted a hefty sum of ~ INR 9600. In comparison the cost of similarly sized batteries in the TATA Indica (such as your old one) are ~ INR 2500-3000.

Cheers!
Batfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 08:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreak View Post
Great thread. The car is an absolute stunner. Hope to see more long term FE figures coming our way. Enjoy every mile in your VW.
Thank You @Batfreak & Wish you the same on your Rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreak View Post
My Rapid does not have a confirmation honk. Could you please tell me any way to activate the same?
I guess a visit to the workshop could clear this for you. There are several other options that you could enable/disable.
Check vw_vento_2011_12_vas_featurelist.pdf. The Rapid would have exactly the same options I guess.
Old 1st May 2013, 18:57   #28
BHPian

Just crossed 5.5 K kms. Attached Fuel Log till last refill.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-capture.jpg

To Do List :- (Please suggest)
  • Tyre Rotation and Realignment
  • Engine Oil Check (Replace/Topup as necessary)
  • All other consumables check

Need to write up my 5 K experience. Too busy now. Err... Am I not lazy.

Cheers !

Last edited by DieselDon : 1st May 2013 at 18:59.
Old 1st May 2013, 19:37   #29
BHPian

Those are pretty decent FE figures you got. Tracking manually or you using some app to check the FE ? Also, did you get your engine oil level checked at least once till now?

ps: think of all those people who keep thinking about starting an ownership thread and are lazy not to do (that includes me )
Old 1st May 2013, 23:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Those are pretty decent FE figures you got. Tracking manually or you using some app to check the FE ?
Itz Manual. Tried some apps, but they were'nt good enough to last long.
By the way - Am using Google Docs. Does that qualify as an App ? LOL

Quote:
Also, did you get your engine oil level checked at least once till now?
Nope. Too lazy..Err..Busy. Work & Travel keeping me busy.

Quote:
ps: think of all those people who keep thinking about starting an ownership thread and are lazy not to do (that includes me )
Naah.. That is not acceptable. You should write up one. Or atleast 'narrate' on another thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks