Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2013, 17:35   #1
BHPian

My "New" Used Baleno VXI

Hello Team BHPians,
I am back again with a different story now this time its another car, since i already own a Fiat Punto Diesel i wanted to buy a good second car, but a used one only because of Budget constrains and other reasons..

My requirements were

1. Petrol One with a Good Acceleration and outright performance
2. Good FE
3. Since it’s my second car, i needed a sedan

I don’t want to go for ford, since maintenance is relatively costlier and Honda, for not having high speed manners. After going through the forum extensively i decided to go for Baleno "since its the first Maruti Suzuki luxury Car". Searched Many online Ads, almost 95% of baleno which were posted a week ago got sold when i approached them...huh!! Finally i got a call from a dealer who said there is a baleno available and its the Top end one VXI and he said its 2005 model/VIN decoded says its nov 2005 and paper says its 2006 registered.. paper Wins!

I decided to go there to take a personal look and found the car in All OE parts with the ODO reads 62k kms. Took the Buying Used Car Guide with me from our forum.

Initial Driving Experience:
1. When i took the car i immediately find that the famous RPM fluctuation is there with AC
2. Hard Clutch, seems the clutch has given up thought it to be a OE one and yes it was
3. AC is a super chiller
4. Suspensions is neither good nor Bad, i can feel the wheels going over the potholes but with no big sound
5. The engine seems to get hiccups, while putting your feet slightly on the pedal in 1 and 2nd gear...(not sure what it is)
6. The slotting of gear is a problem but one should get used to it, i guess it needs a overhaul
7. Found leaks near the engine distributor side. Referred with the mechanic and found that to be Distributor "O" ring issue and a simple task
8. Put your foot on the pedal and go pass 40 and it goes like a butter and super responsive
9. Insurance comprehensive until 2014 (seem they have just renewed the insurance in Feb)
10. Brakes gave up...
11. the Owner is already a 2nd owner but seems he bought this car some 3 months ago, since he is passionate about driving cars he changes the car every now and then, he seems to follows TeamBhp.com

All of these issues and facts for 2L but i said no and finally settled for 1.8L and brought her Home!!!!!

This seems to be like a regular 60K service said the Mechanic, so no big Holes in Pocket and spent 16k so far

now Comes the Pros and Cons...

What keeps irritating me?? Problems ******** help Required from you people to Sort this

The RPM fluctuation seems to be irritating me, sometimes i feel why i bought this car and sometime i feel i need to fix this issue to make the car super. Mechanic seems to have checked the Fuel Pump pressure in the fuel pump and commented it’s perfect and suggest me not to do anything with it. and in regular service he also cleaned the fuel filters. He now suspects on Ignition Coils for the RPM issue, this issue crops almost every time with AC ON and sometimes with AC Off (with AC Off i have not tested extensively).

Next i am not sure why the car is producing the Hiccups (keeping the car in 1 or 2 @ 1000~ 2000rpm with leg slightly tapping the pedal the car goes like a Horse!!! it jumps and jumps literally Most of the time its on 2nd gear!!!, with this way i can't drive in Bumper to Bumper traffic :( so sad.. need to find a fix for it...

What I like about the car, and what made me to buy this CAR? ***************

What is Baleno to Me?
To me it’s the first luxury car for our family and so do to Maruti Suzuki INDIA

Driving Experience so far:
To say in a simple phrase, I had never been on a GOLDEN CHARIOT but now I do. That is the luxury it gives to my parents when they stay comfortable in the rear seats. To comment on its suspension, It literally eats all the Pot holes. You will never need to come to lower gears when when you want to overtake or when you feel tired of shifting gears, you can feel it has 94bhp in all gears. Floor the pedal and you can reach 150 in No time

AC Deserves a special mention here, Swich on the AC and forget about AC. You will feel as if you are in a Merce Benz.

Other Features of the car:
1. it has all 4 Power Windows
2. Electrically operated OVRMs
3. Auto Climate AC
4. All 5 wheels Alloy
5. front/Rear Ash try, 1 12v socket, bottle Holders and 1 Light at the center of the Car.
6. a BIG Power Antenna
7. Good rattle free Glove Box
8. Hopeless Door pockets - Consider it to keep any invitation cards
9. Big Dickey Storage
10. Original Maruti Ken-wood Player - I replaced i with 2 DIN GeeSonic Deck
11. Remote keyless Entry
12. 185 tires with 14" Alloy
13. New Tires including spare One
14. rear Seat Center Armrest
15. Small half armrest or Glass Holder between the front 2 seats.
16. Tilt Steering

What i did so far after Buying? -- Immediately sticked the TeamBHP stickers and took her to the Maruti authorized service station near by my house (well known person to me)

1. Changed the Entire Clutch
2. Mechanic advised me to change the front wheel bearing hence did so
3. Changed the Brake Shoes
4. General Paid Service
5. Changed the spark plug since the RPM issue is there to see if this the issue "BUT SADLY NO"
6. Throttle Body Cleaning, IAV check and so on for the issue But nothing seems to solve the issue
7. Added 2 DIN DVD/VCD/Radio/Bluetooth/IPOD/USB/SDCARD and GPS Navigation system from GEE SONIC

What i Don't like or Needs improvement in this Car: Not Many!!!

1. RPM Fluctuation(RPM Dips and regains during Idling) and due to which Steering Vibration
2. I can feel the Body Roll in the steering sometimes or rather if i go on uneven roads i can feel the every bumps and downs in the steering(may be Steering Rack/pin dampers problems). Whereas the rear seat people have no clue about what i am talking huh!!

What i like in this car:

1. All the Above features + Sedan Feel or BIG Car Feel
2. Parents/Wife/Son comfortability and happiness
3. Power to weight ratio of the car
4. The Torquey bullet proof Engine
5. A.S.S of Maruti Suzuki
6. relatively less maintenance Cost
7. FE for this BIG torquey Car i am getting Approx 12~13kmpl in City with AC 99%
8. Space inside the Car, and all the more I can carry my Induction stove for my 1.5 years old son + entire luggage of our family in the dickey without any fuss

Hoping to Munch Miles in her..

let the Picture Speak Now..

As Usual my Grandmother seating in this car too
Attached Thumbnails
My "New" Used Baleno VXI-20130210_163125.jpg  

My "New" Used Baleno VXI-20130219_124349.jpg  

My "New" Used Baleno VXI-20130219_124406.jpg  

My "New" Used Baleno VXI-20130219_124522.jpg  

My "New" Used Baleno VXI-20130219_124615.jpg  

My "New" Used Baleno VXI-20130219_124425.jpg  

My "New" Used Baleno VXI-20130219_124513.jpg  

My "New" Used Baleno VXI-20130219_124310.jpg  

My "New" Used Baleno VXI-20130219_124335.jpg  

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 19th February 2013 at 19:45.
magnanimousdude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 18:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My New Used Baleno VXI

How much did you spend on the brake shoes (disc pads, you mean)? RPM fluctuation should not be there, the famous rpm fluctuation everyone talks about is the one time drop with AC not a regular up and down movement. Hiccups could be due to a faulty sensor. Get a MASS guy to check it fully or even maybe the O2 sensor or clutch slippage.
Old 18th February 2013, 18:42   #3
BHPian

Congratulations mag! The Baleno is a much under-rated machine! Its one of the few cars thts an absolute workhorse if you take care of the niggles(I might suggest that you get to know a MASS mechanic who knows ur baby well)!

Most things u've pointed out but above that, what stands out is the drive quality-much tighter & sturdier build than the Esteem! Driver's car, Cruises at high speeds without loosing grip & is moves effortlessly up the shifts!

things to watchout for?I've mentioned the niggles, but also keep an eye for SPEEDBREAKERS!! the ground clearance is rather Low for Indian standards so the sideways technique might help save the bottom scrapes on breakers! Also the OEM Fog Lamps wont be available so you'll have to go for aftermarket ones(if you choose to do so) with Packing! Will check with my Cousin(who owns one since 4 years).

Have fun & Happy Travels!

Last edited by parassoni : 18th February 2013 at 18:46.
Old 18th February 2013, 18:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
How much did you spend on the brake shoes (disc pads, you mean)? RPM fluctuation should not be there, the famous rpm fluctuation everyone talks about is the one time drop with AC not a regular up and down movement. Hiccups could be due to a faulty sensor. Get a MASS guy to check it fully or even maybe the O2 sensor or clutch slippage.
Yes its the drop with AC but for me its not One time, everytime i neutral (means in every signal or every stop start situation ) it drops and regains...

Brake pads i believe it cost around 2K let me have a look at the bill once

No way clutch slippage, i just replaced the entire clutch and what faulty sensors, if its O2 then i should have this hiccups with all gears but incidentally NO, just with the 1 and 2nd gear i get these..

Quote:
Originally Posted by parassoni View Post
Congratulations mag! The Baleno is a much under-rated machine! Its one of the few cars thts an absolute workhorse if you take care of the niggles(I might suggest that you get to know a MASS mechanic who knows ur baby well)!

Most things u've pointed out but above that, what stands out is the drive quality-much tighter & sturdier build than the Esteem! Driver's car, Cruises at high speeds without loosing grip & is moves effortlessly up the shifts!

things to watchout for? mentioned the niggles, but also keep an eye for SPEEDBREAKERS!! the ground clearance is rather Low for Indian standards so the sideways technique might help save the bottom scrapes on breakers!

Have fun & Happy Travels!
The drive quality is very good, but like you said its not tighter or Stiffer its much loose sometimes i feel like i am driving without wheels Sometime i feel like why can't i check the suspensions.

Yeah ground clearance is a Big Problem, i have to take a look
Old 18th February 2013, 19:26   #5
BHPian

hello magnanimousdude,

Congratulations on your latest acquisition. Wishing you many happy miles with her. The Baleno is surely an enthusiast's delight and will plaster a smile on your face everytime you redline her.

Please post some HQ pictures of her. The way you've described her seems like she's been very painstakingly been taken care of by the previous users.

As, for the hiccup thing, please ascertain if, no part of the engine wiring has cracked or been chewed upon by rats. I, once had this issue on my Esteem and this was traced to chewed wires. That might be one the causes for you as well (Just presuming).

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 18th February 2013 at 19:28.
Old 18th February 2013, 19:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check for throttle sensors then. If its only in the 1st and 2nd gears then identifying it would be very critical and time consuming. let me understand it first. The rpms drop every time you shift to neutral from 1 and 2nd gears when AC is on while they do not drop when the AC is off, Correct?

Last edited by wanderernomad : 18th February 2013 at 19:37.
Old 18th February 2013, 19:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
hello magnanimousdude,

Congratulations on your latest acquisition. Wishing you many happy miles with her. The Baleno is surely an enthusiast's delight and will plaster a smile on your face everytime you redline her.

Please post some HQ pictures of her. The way you've described her seems like she's been very painstakingly been taken care of by the previous users.

As, for the hiccup thing, please ascertain if, no part of the engine wiring has cracked or been chewed upon by rats. I, once had this issue on my Esteem and this was traced to chewed wires. That might be one the causes for you as well (Just presuming).

-Shivang Gandotra
Man, yes i saw that the previous owner tied some tobacco sticks around the engines, will have to check the wires, it never crossed my mind about the broken and cracked wring

and any comments about the suspensions, should the baleno suspensions be stiffer or loose like a hell ride??? though its somewhat loose ( loose means!!! imagine if you run over a pothole you will feel that the wheel ran over it like some 20 feet distance and not near..., if stiffer you will feel every bit of the pothole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Check for throttle sensors then. If its only in the 1st and 2nd gears then identifying it would be very critical and time consuming. let me understand it first. The rpms drop every time you shift to neutral from 1 and 2nd gears when AC is on while they do not drop when the AC is off, Correct?
Ok here it is..

1. I start the car, in the very cold start for few mins with AC the RPM does not drop or Dip!, (after driving for sometime may be after the engine is heated) lets says you wait in a signal so for the first signal What ever gear may be you are in you will come down to Neutral, after some 10 or 5 seconds in neutral the RPM dips till 700, from 800rpm to 700rom i will feel a great vibration with steering wheel shivers like HELL and again it climbs to 900 in idle. Invariably this happens in every signal for me or on every stop start where a min 1 min waiting time involves(even in some bumper to bumper traffic) All this happens with AC ON. Without AC it happens sometimes but to speak the truth i have not tested it exactly with AC OFF

The Sad Point is sometimes you will have to work hard to make the car move when the signal is green and when the rpm Drops

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 18th February 2013 at 19:56.
magnanimousdude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 10:12   #8
BHPian

Can Someone throw some light on this? Requesting fellow Baleno owners to please suggest what could be the issue??? Search results for this issue in the forum is

1. Ignition Coil Could be issue (there are 2 coils 1 for 2 spark Pulg)
2. Cam Shaft Sensor Could be issue
3. O2 Sensor Could be Issue
4. Coil Wires (leads) could be issue
5. Spark Plug - but his has been changed to DENSO by the Maruti Mechanics(so we can eliminate this)
6. Fuel Pump could be issue ( but Mechanic Checked the Pressure of the fuel and said its not issue as the pressure seems to be fine)

All these can't be changed for single issue, It must be a single part issue that makes this problem. I can't spend much money on this since each part cost not less han 3k

Expert Help is required please...
Old 19th February 2013, 11:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post

The RPM fluctuation seems to be irritating me, sometimes i feel why i bought this car and sometime i feel i need to fix this issue to make the car super. Mechanic seems to have checked the Fuel Pump pressure in the fuel pump and commented it’s perfect and suggest me not to do anything with it. and in regular service he also cleaned the fuel filters. He now suspects on Ignition Coils for the RPM issue, this issue crops almost every time with AC ON and sometimes with AC Off (with AC Off i have not tested extensively).
From what I know could be a clogged cat or even a MAF sensor which has gone bad. Take it to a MASS and get them to connect the OBD scanner and check the error codes. Ignition coil could also be the culprit. Take it one by one.

Anything more than momentary such as surging will need to be checked out and most likely involves the throttle body. Get the TB cleaned and check if it sorts the problem.

Quote:
Can Someone throw some light on this? Requesting fellow Baleno owners to please suggest what could be the issue??? Search results for this issue in the forum is

3. O2 Sensor Could be Issue
4. Coil Wires (leads) could be issue
5. Spark Plug - but his has been changed to DENSO by the Maruti Mechanics(so we can eliminate this)
6. Fuel Pump could be issue ( but Mechanic Checked the Pressure of the fuel and said its not issue as the pressure seems to be fine)

All these can't be changed for single issue, It must be a single part issue that makes this problem. I can't spend much money on this since each part cost not less han 3k

Expert Help is required please...
Check them one by one and do take the car to a MASS and connect the OBD scanner. It will rule out any sensor failures in the first place.
Then get the TB cleaned and if still the problem persists then look at the ignition coil and go in that order.

Quote:
Next i am not sure why the car is producing the Hiccups (keeping the car in 1 or 2 @ 1000~ 2000rpm with leg slightly tapping the pedal the car goes like a Horse!!! it jumps and jumps literally Most of the time its on 2nd gear!!!, with this way i can't drive in Bumper to Bumper traffic :( so sad.. need to find a fix for it...
I have been through this, get used to the 2nd and 3rd gear of the car is torquey, it a hoot to drive around in the mad traffic. You can coast with these gears easily.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 19th February 2013 at 11:14.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 11:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
From what I know could be a clogged cat or even a MAF sensor which has gone bad. Take it to a MASS and get them to connect the OBD scanner and check the error codes. Ignition coil could also be the culprit. Take it one by one.

Anything more than momentary such as surging will need to be checked out and most likely involves the throttle body. Get the TB cleaned and check if it sorts the problem.

Check them one by one and do take the car to a MASS and connect the OBD scanner. It will rule out any sensor failures in the first place.
Then get the TB cleaned and if still the problem persists then look at the ignition coil and go in that order.

I have been through this, get used to the 2nd and 3rd gear of the car is torquey, it a hoot to drive around in the mad traffic. You coast with these gears easily.
TB is already cleaned by the MASS, Spark Plug Changed. MASS suspects the Ignition COILs but till Now Car has not been connected ODB scanner. Will request them to do so.

My Senario seems to be Unique at cold start this issue is not occuring, means there is No RPM drop till what i have examined so far, only after driving through some kms i get this when i stop keeping in neutral...

Anyways i will have it checked. Moreover I have already requested MASS to Order the Ignition COILs, they says its around 2.2K per Coil. :(

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 19th February 2013 at 11:14.
Old 20th February 2013, 11:09   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My "New" Used Baleno VXI

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 20th February 2013, 11:32   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase! The car looks beautiful in silver. Though there aren't many fans for its styling, I really like the clean, understated elegance it exudes. It is the ideal car for someone who wants to travel in comfort and yet does not want to "make a statement".
We have a 2006 Vxi purchased in 2009, and the past four years of ownership have been wonderful. We drove from Ahmedabad to Goa (1000Km) in one night, and surprisingly, no one complained of travel fatigue, thanks to its super comfortable seats. The kind of comfort that the back seat provides is not available today in any Sedan costing <8 lakhs.
It is really sad that the car did not do well in India- it is a very comfortable workhorse and the replacement that Maruti brought in (SX4) does not do justice to its qualities. Go for long drives to truly appreciate how capable the car really is. I wish you many happy miles with her

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 20th February 2013 at 11:35.
Old 20th February 2013, 14:33   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on one of the best petrol purchases out there. As for your problem

it pretty much looks like one of the above two. My Baleno devoloped an ignition coil issue too just before i sold it off. And in case it is, make sure you buy an 'original' coil. I ended up buying from a regular spares shop and it ended up being a reject. I think the coil is the same that is used in the Swift.
Old 20th February 2013, 15:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations !

My car has similar issues.

The rpm drops when the AC compressor starts/stops. And when it drops, dash/etc panels vibrate. Possibly due to resonance. I've had IAC, TB, Fuel filter, ignition coils, mounts etc checked. No solution yet.

Over rough roads, the steering may feel a bit loose/'rattley'. This could be partly due to bad lower arms and partly due to some issue in the steering column.

Oh and btw, the variant you have got is exactly what I have. It's got 3hp less. That's 91bhp

ps: Ford may be expensive to maintain, but the Baleno upkeep ain't cheap either . It could be more expensive than an Ikon/Fiesta.
Old 20th February 2013, 15:34   #15
BHPian

Hi magnanimousdude,

I think I spotted your car on the Pallavaram, Velachery road last sunday. I flashed and honked but you did not notice.I was in the Figo. I did post it on the relevant thread but did not get a response.

Please always wear a seat belt. You did not when I saw you. Drive Safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks