Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2013, 18:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Storme - 'Chauffeur driven perspective'

Congrats on your Storme and great review torquing points! Can you please post some photos of the outside of your bull (I have no idea what color your car is - or have I missed it somewhere?).

Right now there are 6 Storme repports here on Team BHP (may the tribe grow!):

3 VX 4x4s and 3 EXs

2 Blacks, 2 Urban Bronzes, 1 White, and 1 (yours) not known (white? - from the first photo).

Last edited by ebonho : 30th March 2013 at 18:18.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 22:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Expectations have surely galloped. Either you meet them and stay in the game - or you go the Nokia way.

Regarding Audio System:
I have been getting really annoyed with the audio system lately. The sound quality is really below average, with highs more pronounced, and lows very muted. If you increase the bass on the audio system, then the bass is distorted. I have a set of Focal Infinity speakers (components for front + coax in the back) that I had pulled out from my other car before I sold it. But for me to run components with crossovers, I think I need an amp.

I have a feeling that an amp + those speakers should be able to resolve this issue. But amp'ing means voiding the warranty...
The power pack is a plug-in mini-amp which is supposed to increase the output of the Alpine speakers to 42w RMS, without voiding the warranty. I wonder if this upgrade will resolve my audio quality issues.
The alpine system is a decent system with 6 speakers including 2 tweeters. What you need to add is quite simple, a subwoofer, two big speakers for the boot and a amplifier. The alpine system has a facility to connect an amp and a subwoofer without any modifications. I have added 2 more speakers in the rear, a subwoofer in the boot and a lovely xplod amplifier. My car system now rocks infact I cant sit inside the car and increase volume beyond 7, and the whole locality can hear the thumps of base at volume 12.

No I have no issues with warranty by adding the components, and yes no wires have been cut or clamped.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 11:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you bargain hard, you should be able to get ~30ish off, basically taking the Storme back to the 'pre-budget' price.

9. Is this car right for you? : If you have to ask this question, then this is not the car for you. All logic points to the XUV over the Storme. You only get the Storme if you *want* the Storme. So if you find yourself in a dilemma where you are considering any 10-15L car apart from the Storme in your selection sub-set, then the Storme is not for you. It then offers poor value, and with Mahindra changing the game continuously with the Scorpio and now the XUV, Tata is going to find it hard to compete
Thanks Tq for your well balanced review. You made a valid point on the target segment for the Storme being "people who want the Storme". While this is 100% true, I doubt whether this is what TML wants. Once a prospective buyer for your car is ONLY the one who wants that particular car and no other one, you should be in a niche segment selling an extremely expensive vehicle which has huge margins which is not the case with TML. This by itself will result in very sluggish sales for the Storme and larger car buying population will continue to stay away from TML.

your point on discounts is valid. immediately after the launch in Chennai, the dealer was ready for a 5k discount which could have stretched to 10k if i had proceeded with a booking. now with a few months of sluggish sales, am quite sure 30k discount is possible BUT that may not negate the price increase because in most cities, the excise duty related increase has also taken the base model into the higher road tax category

lastly, i found your comment on NVH in Storme being better than XUV. I always felt the XUV was super silent and almost petrol like at normal RPMs compared to the Storme which I noticed to be a tad more noisier than the Dicor itself. The significant shudder in the gear level while shutting off the engine is also quite annoying.

Look forward to regular updates from your side.

thanks
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 12:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Sluggish power delivery because of the sheer weight. The Duster with less power races ahead of the Safari in normal driving

2. Acceleration: As an ex-petrol driver, I find the acceleration of the Storme to be extremely poor. On my daily commute, I find that I am rarely able to find an open enough stretch to take the car to 90 kmph. This was the same road where I could blast a Civic at considerably higher speeds. Of course - its unfair to compare a stallion to a workhorse -- but I just wanted to have this out there
I can understand your disappointment since you've graduated from a petrol car. I would like to share a few points that'll help you appreciate a diesel engine for what it is.

Diesels are more about torque than outright acceleration. Having said that, the current generation common rail diesels are nearly there if not better than petrols. It's best to take it easy in a diesel, start off in a linear fashion rather than pushing pedal to the metal. In return, the engine will reward you with good drivability hugely aided by its torque.

A new diesel engine takes time to open up (read unwind) than a petrol. During the initial 5k to 10k kms, you'll tend to find the engine extremely tight and unrelenting. When we experience that, we tend to trash the engine as powerless. No, all your engine needs is time and more miles on the clock and then see how he opens up! Diesels are built with robust components to withstand the extra pressure, thus they need time to smoothen up. Don't be surprised if you find minute metal bits in the oil filter during your first service.

A quicker way to open up your engine is to take it on a couple of long drives. That'll help the parts settle better. Diesel engines are like vintage wine - they get better with more miles and age. I would suggest to not be hard on trashing your Safari's engine as powerless. Give it some time and give it some beans. You'll be all smiles. Also, you'll have a 'different' form of appreciation for a diesel engine. Probably you've guessed it by now, but yeah, I'm a diesel fan.

Hey, BTW congrats and enjoy your Storme!
swiftdiesel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 13:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I can understand your disappointment since you've graduated from a petrol car. I would like to share a few points that'll help you appreciate a diesel engine for what it is.

Diesels are more about torque than outright acceleration. Having said that, the current generation common rail diesels are nearly there if not better than petrols. It's best to take it easy in a diesel, start off in a linear fashion rather than pushing pedal to the metal. In return, the engine will reward you with good drivability hugely aided by its torque.

A new diesel engine takes time to open up (read unwind) than a petrol. During the initial 5k to 10k kms, you'll tend to find the engine extremely tight and unrelenting. When we experience that, we tend to trash the engine as powerless. No, all your engine needs is time and more miles on the clock and then see how he opens up! Diesels are built with robust components to withstand the extra pressure, thus they need time to smoothen up. Don't be surprised if you find minute metal bits in the oil filter during your first service.

A quicker way to open up your engine is to take it on a couple of long drives. That'll help the parts settle better. Diesel engines are like vintage wine - they get better with more miles and age. I would suggest to not be hard on trashing your Safari's engine as powerless. Give it some time and give it some beans. You'll be all smiles. Also, you'll have a 'different' form of appreciation for a diesel engine. Probably you've guessed it by now, but yeah, I'm a diesel fan.

Hey, BTW congrats and enjoy your Storme!
Thanks diesel fan , that was a wonderfully helpful post for me. Would greatly appreciate more inputs on the "proper" way to break in a diesel and what to expect as "normal" that would normally freak out a petrol driver.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st March 2013 at 13:17.
Old 31st March 2013, 15:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Thanks diesel fan , that was a wonderfully helpful post for me. Would greatly appreciate more inputs on the "proper" way to break in a diesel and what to expect as "normal" that would normally freak out a petrol driver.
On a hill climb, don't freak out if your huge " powerful" beast gets overtaken easily by a puny petrol car :-)
Lukeskywalker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 19:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
On a hill climb, don't freak out if your huge " powerful" beast gets overtaken easily by a puny petrol car :-)
I am quickly learning that patience is the key. Also that the the 3rd gear is where I most often prefer to be, over the 2nd. The beast picks up better from low rpm's in 3rd than it does in 2nd, and 3rd is longer as well. 1st literally (compared to my Baleno's 1st) is just to get moving and for central locking to (just) engage.
Old 31st March 2013, 23:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just relax and take it slow. Nothing that'll really freak you out. Having come from a petrol background, bring your performance expectation bar a bit lower. But I can tell you the diesel will compensate for that with waves of low end torque. That's something I'm sure you would've realized by now.

Sometimes, the surge of torque will be massive, especially in stop-go traffic, it may surprise you. But don't be overwhelmed by it. Just dis-engage the clutch (press it) when you feel that sudden surge. Other than that, trust me, you won't find any nasty surprises. Enjoy your drive!
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 09:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post some photos of the outside of your bull (I have no idea what color your car is - or have I missed it somewhere?).

Right now there are 6 Storme repports here on Team BHP (may the tribe grow!):

3 VX 4x4s and 3 EXs

2 Blacks, 2 Urban Bronzes, 1 White, and 1 (yours) not known (white? - from the first photo).
Yep youre quite observant! It is white. I dont have any fun pictures of the Storme yet - dont want to post boring pictures of a white truck! Will be posting pictures soon - sorry to keep you waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
No I have no issues with warranty by adding the components, and yes no wires have been cut or clamped.
Thanks - im going to try to find a good installer here in NCR to do the same. May not get the extra set of speakers - but wil copy the rest of your install. What about powering the amp - are you drawing power straight from the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
lastly, i found your comment on NVH in Storme being better than XUV. I always felt the XUV was super silent and almost petrol like at normal RPMs compared to the Storme which I noticed to be a tad more noisier than the Dicor itself. The significant shudder in the gear level while shutting off the engine is also quite annoying.
To break up NVH - engine harshness is more than the XUV. But the sound insulation of the cabin and silence at low RPMs is really superior to other cars. So you are also right - the engine is noisier, and there is some shudder in the gear lever (and in the passenger seat) when starting or shutting the car - but once youre cruising on the highway, you cant hear a thing.

Quote:

A new diesel engine takes time to open up (read unwind) than a petrol. During the initial 5k to 10k kms, you'll tend to find the engine extremely tight and unrelenting.
I would suggest to not be hard on trashing your Safari's engine as powerless. Give it some time and give it some beans. You'll be all smiles. Also, you'll have a 'different' form of appreciation for a diesel engine. Probably you've guessed it by now, but yeah, I'm a diesel fan.
Thanks for your very informative post. To follow up on this, let me ask you - I havent had this issue on a 1.9 Octavia - that felt more powerful than petrols. But I guess thats also because the storme is a two-ton vehicle.

Ill wait for 5000 KMs, and report back on what I find. Meanwhile, do you have any other tips on breaking-in a diesel engine?
Old 1st April 2013, 10:41   #25
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ill wait for 5000 KMs, and report back on what I find. Meanwhile, do you have any other tips on breaking-in a diesel engine?
This thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

Covers the Run in period in detail and though this is shorter than the 5,000-10,000 kms breaking in period, most of the process of breaking in happens in the run in period itself.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 11:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes, the surge of torque will be massive, especially in stop-go traffic, it may surprise you. But don't be overwhelmed by it. Just dis-engage the clutch (press it) when you feel that sudden surge. Other than that, trust me, you won't find any nasty surprises. Enjoy your drive!
I don't know if its the same thing, but I get this "overwhelming" part in 2nd often, basically when I want to drop down from higher speeds, gears, as the traffic slows down, or a big speed breaker appears, or you need to just about move at crawling speeds, and you release the clutch (without any accelerator) and still the car lunges and bounds forward much faster than the ultra slow controlled crawl you need. I have learned to now control that by keeping the clutch pressed and slowing the car down more than before with the brake and then slowly releasing the clutch. That prevents the car from "bounding" forward and keeps the crawl in control.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I am now confused between two options:
a) Buy power-pack, dont void warranty, and put in new speakers. This way, I spend ~8K, and keep my warranty
b) Throw out the Alpine BS system, and put in a decent HU + decent amp. This way, I lose the warranty.

Sigh.
As a 'reformed' Safari owner, let me tell you that just to gain a better audio experience, no point throwing away the warranty. Just buy a nice pair of Sennheiser noice cancelling headphones and live with the rubbish ICE.

When stuff starts going wrong, as they do in Tata cars, the warranty will help you save oodles of money.

So yes, don't for heaven's sake, let that warranty lapse!
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 21:49   #28
BHPian

After first refueling, mileage calculated at just above 10 kmpl.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130401_214841.png
Views: 2385
Size:  417.0 KB
torquing_points is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 22:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, the proper way to use a Safari is to keep the revs above 1700rpm all the way, floor the throttle if you have to, to get to 1700+rpm and you will be amazed at the swift progress.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Doc, the proper way to use a Safari is to keep the revs above 1700rpm all the way, floor the throttle if you have to, to get to 1700+rpm and you will be amazed at the swift progress.
I think its slightly lower for the Storme (i.e. where steam starts building up). I cannot be sure, and maybe more Storme owners should also chip in, but I think its around 1400 rpm or thereabouts (pus/minus 100 rpm). But yes, what I mentioned before, steam builds faster in 3rd than in 2nd for some reason. Should it not be the opposite?

Quote:
After first refueling, mileage calculated at just above 10 kmpl.
Same here. This time 1000 bucks she gave around 205 kms. Around 11.

My favorite view of the Storme. Wide chested leg slightly apart evil grin Rottweiler.

Tata Storme - 'Chauffeur driven perspective'-189430.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd April 2013 at 10:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks