Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Storme - 'Chauffeur driven perspective'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I think its slightly lower for the Storme (i.e. where steam starts building up). I cannot be sure, and maybe more Storme owners should also chip in, but I think its around 1400 rpm or thereabouts (pus/minus 100 rpm). But yes, what I mentioned before, steam builds faster in 3rd than in 2nd for some reason. Should it not be the opposite?

[/ATTACH]
Actually you can make progress even if rpm is >1100 and above, post 1500rpm its quite good and great above 1700rpm
In my Dicor i get 80kmph at about 1500rpm btw its got the aria/storme gearbox the g76 mk2, may be why it helps. It was the 2013 first batch, which has most of the stuff compliant with the new gear you have.

Overtaking on highways is a breeze as long as you are above 1700rpm and extremely eager between 2000-4000rpm.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited. Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices which increases the chances of putting yourself and other road users at risk.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th April 2013 at 10:42. Reason: Refrain from mentioning high speeds on the forum.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Actually you can make progress even if rpm is >1100 and above, post 1500rpm its quite good and great above 1700rpm
In my Dicor i get 80kmph at about 1500rpm btw its got the aria/storme gearbox the g76 mk2, may be why it helps. It was the 2013 first batch, which has most of the stuff compliant with the new gear you have.

Overtaking on highways is a breeze as long as you are above 1700rpm and extremely eager between 2000-4000rpm.
I am shuddering and shaking at the thought of driving at high speeds. I do not think I have ever gone above 3000 rpm yet - and that too just as spikes just before upshifting or on high speed downshifts to scrub speed. How many kms have you done? Please give me the link of your ownership thread!

Obvious question: Why Safari if you bought it this year?

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th April 2013 at 10:40. Reason: Edited high speed mentions on the forum.
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am shuddering and shaking at the thought. I do not think I have ever gone above 3000 rpm yet - and that too just as spikes just before upshifting or on high speed downshifts to scrub speed. How many kms have you done? Please give me the link of your ownership thread!

Obvious question: Why Safari if you bought it this year?
No thread, will plan to start something, but a bit late now. Why Safari? Because I liked what I saw when I test drove it, plus in the gx everything was good, and I dont mean 'for the price', I looked at the Force1 (pathetic build but excellent nvh and engine), and XUV (too cramped and small IMO). And Doc, nothing to be worried about higher speeds, the car sticks like a leech, no surprises, no noises, yes corners need to be taken more sedately between 80-100 but that is same for most SUVs
Best thing in the Safari is you dont realise the speed especially if you keep upshifting at 2000rpm thats what makes this car a cross continental tourer.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices which increases the chances of putting yourself and other road users at risk.

Last edited by navin : 13th April 2013 at 09:40. Reason: See note in post.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Sorry OT

Do you mean to say Dicor manufactured in post 2013 share Strome/Aria G76 mk2 gear box?
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:58   #35
BHPian

Very well described opinion for Storme Lovers!

Quote:
Right now there are 6 Storme repports here on Team BHP (may the tribe grow!):

3 VX 4x4s and 3 EXs

2 Blacks, 2 Urban Bronzes, 1 White, and 1 (yours) not known (white? - from the first photo).
You can add my Storme to your List! It is VX 2x4 Arctic Silver.

Here are links to some pictures which I posted in Official Storme Review:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3050626

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3065521

I hope you guys will like the pictures.
Navsangeet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 19:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navsangeet View Post
Very well described opinion for Storme Lovers!

You can add my Storme to your List! It is VX 2x4 Arctic Silver.

Here are links to some pictures which I posted in Official Storme Review:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3050626

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3065521

I hope you guys will like the pictures.
Thanks bro! Why don't you start a thread fo your own? Yours is the oldest (senior most ) Storme and I recall you having done a lot of kms as well. So your feedback and tips will be great!
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 19:46   #37
BHPian

Second filling - again mileage was exactly 10 kmpl.

Also mean while I've noticed that while being driven, the front seat is MUCH more comfortable than the back both because of the angle of the backrest anger lumbar support as well as the suspension.

The engine seems to have either become more powerful, or maybe I'm just used to getting all my power at 1800-2000 rpm. The key is getting used to not revving it up to get more power as I used to do in my gasoline cars.

The AC is holding up well and it seems like it will be able to handle Delhi summers well.

On a side note I've realized that the sound system is a write off and I never end up using it because it's stupid. Also I'm finding lack of a sunglass compartment annoying.

The'unlock ' button doesn't always work on the remote. Occasionally I have to manually unlock with the key and then quickly hit the'unlock' button when the alarm starts to silence it. Very weird.
Old 13th April 2013, 19:02   #38
BHPian

1000 KM Update

I completed 1000 KM in my Storme this past week. Plan to send it for servicing early next week for a quick check up:

Issues:
1. There is a rattle now in the rear AC overhead vent. There is a loose screw or nut in there that rattles everytime I take a sharp turn, or go on very bad roads which make the car wobble

2. Tailgate rattle fixed. Tightened the offending bolt myself.

3. 'Unlock' button doesnt work all the time. You really need to keep playing with the remote - hit the headlight key, hit the lock key, hit the unlock key etc several times, before the unlock button on the key responds. However, when you manually unlock it, and once the alarm is going off, the key responds immediately if you hit the 'unlock' button and silences the alarm. What is going on!?

4. Rear passenger side window is not properly sealed. I can feel wind coming in, and also some noise

5. Noticable wobble in the steering wheel when approaching triple digit speeds

Usability Notes:
1. I have noticed that the best seat to sit in the Storme is the navigator seat. Now, whenever my driver drives, I still sit in the navigators seat, unless it is mid-day. It is *bright* in that seat with the huge windows and wind-screen. When Im driving, I love the visibiliity. When I am riding along, I dont like it as much.

2. Still hating the audio system, but as advised by lots of Tata owners, am not messing with the warranty of the car. Frustrating. The part that I hate the most is not really the sub-standard sound quality -- it is the lack of connectivity. I am really missing A2DP. The audio cable input is useless as I mentioned earlier, because any cable coming out of that thing (or a large USB drive for that matter) hits your hand when you are shifting, particularly to third or fifth. Also, the usability of the HU is appalling, particularly when driving.

3. I used to earlier prefer driving my Civic because I felt that it was a rocket - but now I am realizing that driving the Storme is more fun

4. Gear shifting has been identified by a lot of users as problematic, especially in the city. However, I am not finding a problem in city driving. Second gear goes all the way from near-standstill up to about 30-40 KMPH. So when I am driving in bad traffic, I just use the 2nd all the way through

5. This one is minor. When I go into hotels where they need to check the boot - the guys at the gate always take a minute or two to figure out how to open the damn thing. There is a small arrow pointing where to press which you can see in the day - at night, you cant at all.

Also, long overdue - I had been requested for pictures of the road that I drive on every day. Attached some pictures of it. Of course, it looks reasonably harmless when its dry - but when it rains.. oh, when it rains....

Also, I had been requested for a comparison picture with other SUVs/MUVs. Attaching a picture of my Storme next to a Yeti. Will keep posting updated 'perspective' pictures as time goes by and I see myself parked to another SUV. You really cant tell what a beast the Storme is -- unless you see it parked next to another vehicle. The driving position is very Tata 407-like (which I have also driven in the past)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Storme - 'Chauffeur driven perspective'-road.jpg  

Tata Storme - 'Chauffeur driven perspective'-road2.jpg  

Tata Storme - 'Chauffeur driven perspective'-road4.jpg  

Tata Storme - 'Chauffeur driven perspective'-stormeyeti.jpg  

Last edited by torquing_points : 13th April 2013 at 19:04.
torquing_points is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 19:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Bro do you know that to unlock the other doors you have to press the unlock button twice?

Just asking!
Old 22nd April 2013, 08:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Bro do you know that to unlock the other doors you have to press the unlock button twice?

Just asking!
Haha yes I tried that too. No luck. Are you not facing this issue?

Meanwhile had my first service. Sub standard experience as expected. Car came back with grease marks everywhere including the floor mats. They have one of those 'thank you' paper mats on the passenger side - but didn't use it on the drivers side.

A lot of other grease marks all over the car as well around the handles both inside and outside.

I had mentioned that there was poor insulation and there was a draft and external noise in the rear left window. Turns out this draft also exists on the rear right window. Also apparently it is not covered by warranty and I was asked for rs. 1200 to inspect and check it out. Doesn't make much sense to me but whatever.

Also the driver door is getting worse - it really requires a huge tug to shut properly so much so that I'm worried that the handle on the inside of the door will become loose.

Meanwhile I have given up on the back seat completely. The front passenger seat is much more comfortable. I just can't sit in the back seat on moderately bad roads in the storme.
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Haha yes I tried that too. No luck. Are you not facing this issue?
No my key is working perfectly bro. Maybe battery?

Quote:
Car came back with grease marks everywhere including the floor mats.
They did that in the few days between me inspecting the truck fresh from the yard to the day it was to be delivered to me. Marks on the driver seat fabric (still there in spite of them using some spray soution to clean it), carpets, etc. Raise a stink and most of them were cleaned. But the marks on the driver seat fabric seem to have set.

P.S. Btw, at how many kms did you get the 1st service done. My 1 month is already over and the service is overdue, but I have just completed 1300 kms yet.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd April 2013 at 12:18.
Old 22nd April 2013, 21:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:

No my key is working perfectly bro. Maybe battery?
P.S. Btw, at how many kms did you get the 1st service done. My 1 month is already over and the service is overdue, but I have just completed 1300 kms yet.
It's definitely not the battery - the red light comes on when I click but the car just doesn't respond to any command from the remote unless the alarm I'd triggered - then it detects it immediately. I'll try to post a video of this.

I got my service done at about 1800 km. Less than one month though.

About the stains - I just thought forget it who has the time to negotiate and fight with TML about this... Just got it cleaned with industrial solvent but the grease marks on the mat are very stubborn.
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post

Issues:
1. There is a rattle now in the rear AC overhead vent. There is a loose screw or nut in there that rattles everytime I take a sharp turn, or go on very bad roads which make the car wobble

3. 'Unlock' button doesnt work all the time. You really need to keep playing with the remote - hit the headlight key, hit the lock key, hit the unlock key etc several times, before the unlock button on the key responds. However, when you manually unlock it, and once the alarm is going off, the key responds immediately if you hit the 'unlock' button and silences the alarm. What is going on!?
1. I got my rear AC grill changed in warranty. It was also have same issue as yours. Dhingra Motors, Gurgaon guys are quite helpful.

3. Got my complete Remote locking system changed in warranty including locks as it was giving exact problem as yours. Now it's fixed and working perfectly. Never used to get unlock in first attempt, it was going into some kind of sleep mode.

Over and above these I got below things done on my Storme at 15000 Kms service:

1. Left rear view mirror replaced in warranty at it was vibrating at highway speeds a lot.

2. Replaced Brake pads in warranty as they were worn out early. Actually service advisor was telling me that pads wear out at around 16-17k for Storme (I don't know how much true this is). When I said its not possible so early, so they got them replaced in warranty.
Can anyone throw some light on how much km does the Brake pads actually works? Mine is 90% highway driving with speeds 100-120.

3. Got replaced top dash utility box lock replaced as it was rattling a lot.

Need small input on Synthetic Oil thing. Actually Storme comes with normal engine oil, but service guys insist on Synthetic. But what is the benefit if synthetic oil also needs to be replaced every 15k Kms just like normal engine oil! I don't see so much of benefits against paying extra 4.5k Rs.
In some cars it is actually mandatory like my Punto MJD. But it's not mandatory in Storme.
Navsangeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:33   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need small input on Synthetic Oil thing. Actually Storme comes with normal engine oil, but service guys insist on Synthetic. .
SA is just trying to reach his revenue target. Please stick to regular.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:11   #45
BANNED

Quote:
2.Can anyone throw some light on how much km does the Brake pads actually works? Mine is 90% highway driving with speeds 100-120.
Even with regular highway cruising at speeds that you have mentioned, the brake pads should last around 30k kms to the minimum unless the vehicle is used like this: Accelerate>Brake Hard>Accelerate all the time.

While Synthetic oil is certainly good for the engine, the cost benefit analysis doesn't work in its favor. Most of us have been happy with normal semi syth oils for lacs of kms now.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks