Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 11:19   #31
BHPian

re: 2013 Mahindra Bolero - Rumble Tumble Tank comes home! (More Pics on Pg 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@bydesign - Although matters concerning heart are difficult to refute, I will still try. The reason I would never ever opt for something like Bolero is that it is a half hearted attempt. The only redeeming feature being reliable mechanicals not because they are cutting edge or refined but because they are crude and ancient and provide little by the way of finesse or refinement. Even if we were to justify crude mechanicals for the sake of reliability, I cannot stand poor quality, poorly put together interiors which miss even the very basic feature provided by hatchback a third of the price.

What stops Mahindra from doing a Jeep Wrangler or Mercedes G-Wagon? For the same money I would buy the Ford EcoSport eyes closed.
Bolero is not a half hearted attempt. And neither is it poor quality. It is a very cleverly packaged product and it does its job very well. If you are not convinced just look at the sales chart. I hope you are not so conceited so as to conclude that so many people who made an independent choice other than yours are retards.

To every guy his own. Please go ahead and buy a hatchback with "lots of features" or hatch on stilts with a tail mounted spare ( Eco Sport ). Every vehicle has its merits/demerit. Most people know what the Bolero brings to the table when they put their hard earned money on it.
JediKnight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 11:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
I don't see Bolero 4x4 mentioned on their site. Is it discontinued or am I missing something?
M&M is a company that believes in understatement; that's why, the only indication that a 4x4 is available in the Bolero range is the last row in the specs table at the link given below, which says "4WD Option Available in DI Non AC variant"

http://www.mahindrabolero.com/models...s.aspx?model=4

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th July 2013 at 11:47.
Old 10th July 2013, 12:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Bolero is not a half hearted attempt. And neither is it poor quality. It is a very cleverly packaged product and it does its job very well.
It is indeed poor quality. Just look at those interiors and the body panel gaps. It is shoddy for car which costs 8.5 lakhs OTR. We also have to bear in mind that Mahindra's has recouped R&D investment on it long back and so it does not carry an overhead apart from manufacturing one.

Quote:
If you are not convinced just look at the sales chart. I hope you are not so conceited so as to conclude that so many people who made an independent choice other than yours are retards.
There is no doubting its sales but most of it comes from the rural market. I hardly see any of it in urban cities.

Quote:
To every guy his own. Please go ahead and buy a hatchback with "lots of features" or hatch on stilts with a tail mounted spare ( Eco Sport ). Every vehicle has its merits/demerit. Most people know what the Bolero brings to the table when they put their hard earned money on it.
No doubt but its too crude a vehicle for an urban setting never mind its toughness. On the question of toughness, its built to handle bad or no roads but it can't do off road without a proper 4 wheel drive gearbox.

Also, I dont really understand what's the issue with lots of features given they actually work and serve a utility. As for the hatch back on stilts, name one hatchback which can officially fjord through 550mm of water and has 200 mm ground clearance yet handles beautifully and is good to drive.

To clarify, these are just my opinions and are in no way meant to offend anyone. As you said to each one its own. Peace.

Last edited by theMAG : 10th July 2013 at 15:27. Reason: Typo correction
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 12:28   #34
BHPian

Congratulations ByDesign.

I was in the same boat last year when I decided to trade my trusted Indica for a Bolero ZLX.

I was actually pulled apart by my heart which was sold onto Bolero and my mind which was refusing to pay so much for that. And I did mention that dilemma in more than one thread.

The TD was done, and I pulled out due to only one factor - comfort for the family on rear bench and ergonomics for me in driving seat didn't work out.
All the very best; have a long relationship with the beast. This surely is a go anywhere vehicle and can take abuse happily. All the best.
Old 10th July 2013, 13:31   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
As of now, I don't think the dealers have received the updated price list. Off hand I was told by the salesman that my car would be available for 20,000 INR less due to a revised scheme including a cash discount. Today is my booking day, so I will enquire about the prices exactly. I think there should be a new ex showroom price.

Thanks for that. The EX version seems to be an absolute no frills/features variant. Just seats, a body, and an engine! Interesting torque band though, it's wider.
By any chance, is this change due to the reduced GC now? Had heard it would eventually be carried over to Scorpio and Bolero. If its the discounts, then great deal I would say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The bolero website shows 'prices are being updated'.

Also there is a new EX version with the same M2Dicr engine, with a different state of tune(see torque range in the attachment)
Yes, that's what prompted me to ask ByDesign if he was getting it at the old or new price. Interesting observation about EX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
I don't see Bolero 4x4 mentioned on their site. Is it discontinued or am I missing something?
Go to models, select DI, scroll right down to the bottom and you shall see what you desire!

4WD Option Available in DI Non AC variant
Old 10th July 2013, 14:12   #36
BHPian

There is a sticker on my driver's side door which recommends Tyre Pressure for the following Bolero Models: DI, Plus, SLE, SLX, LX, EX and ZLX (they put the same sticker on all Bolero variants apparantely for convenience.)

Everytime i saw the sticker I wondered- why is there a tyre pressure specified for the EX when there is no such variant as Bolero EX? Also considering that my Bolero DI was manufactured in 2012- they must have had the plans in place for manufacturing the EX more than 8 months ago (atleast).

Coming back to the topic on hand, i am sure that if they had reduced the GC of the Bolero (and the new discounted price is as a result of this GC downgrade), they would have definitely announced it somewhere like they did with the XUV 500
Old 10th July 2013, 14:57   #37
BHPian

Car booked! ZLX top variant with 2 years extended warranty and chrome handle add-ons! I'm super happy. The color will be black.

Immediate upgrade - +1 upsize 235/75 R15 Yokohama Geolanders and 15 inch alloys (deciding on style). The stock tires and rims (all five) will be purchased for 22,500 INR by a third party dealer.

Quote:
@bydesign - Although matters concerning heart are difficult to refute, I will still try. The reason I would never ever opt for something like Bolero is that it is a half hearted attempt. The only redeeming feature being reliable mechanicals not because they are cutting edge or refined but because they are crude and ancient and provide little by the way of finesse or refinement. Even if we were to justify crude mechanicals for the sake of reliability, I cannot stand poor quality, poorly put together interiors which miss even the very basic feature provided by hatchback a third of the price.

What stops Mahindra from doing a Jeep Wrangler or Mercedes G-Wagon? For the same money I would buy the Ford EcoSport eyes closed.
Haha! Good show Sir! Your views match possibly about 90% (arguably) of the Indian automobile consumer market. I fully respect your views even though I mightn't agree with it fully.
At the end of the day, for me, a car that runs well, maintains cheap, is reliable, is comfortable to drive, and most of all, is FUN to drive, is the car for me. The reasons for this may be innumerable, but the heart factor was primary for me in this car's purchase. The way the Bolero chugs along like a locomotive, the refined NVH levels of the new variants (seriously, drive it on the road, and you'll be surprised), powerful AC, and most of all that absolute jeep look, clinched the deal for me. I had such a big grin on my face when I was driving the new Bolero that inside I knew for a fact that this was the car to go for. The Scorpio was fully within reach, and yes, it is refined and more powerful but it didn't have the appeal in my eyes.
My heart was the only thing that got this deal going, and not facts on paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
So that begs the question; who exactly is the EX M2Dicr targetting? Any ideas anybody?
The showroom had no idea about any EX variant. Probably some miscommunication. They do however, have new price lists.

Quote:
Bolero is not a half hearted attempt. And neither is it poor quality. It is a very cleverly packaged product and it does its job very well. If you are not convinced just look at the sales chart. I hope you are not so conceited so as to conclude that so many people who made an independent choice other than yours are retards.

Sales figures don't talk for me when buying a car (example: I bought the Palio Stile 1.3 MJD from the showroom after it was discontinued! ). Got the Optra Magnum 2.0L under similar circumstances as well! The drive and feel of the car was superb! So you see, I'm mostly a buy from the heart kind of individual.
Old 10th July 2013, 15:56   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Car booked! ZLX top variant with 2 years extended warranty
Congrats on your buy , can you share the Ex Showroom Prices for this as well Basic version if you may have
Old 10th July 2013, 18:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congrats on your buy , can you share the Ex Showroom Prices for this as well Basic version if you may have
Thanks.

SLE - 6.81 L
SLX - 7.32 L
ZLX - 7.48 L

Prices are subject to some variation. But this is as per last months price list, which was in effect until yesterday.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 18:21   #40
BHPian

You will absolutely love the Bolero. It is an amazing vehicle and it makes u really calm behind the wheel. Here is a pic of my Bolero with Geolanders and alloys.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Mahindra Bolero - Rumble Tumble Tank comes home! EDIT: 14,000 Kms Update-382548_624397587573103_991631263_n.jpg  

ankan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 18:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Car booked! ZLX top variant with 2 years extended warranty and chrome handle add-ons! I'm super happy. The color will be black.

Immediate upgrade - +1 upsize 235/75 R15 Yokohama Geolanders and 15 inch alloys (deciding on style). The stock tires and rims (all five) will be purchased for 22,500 INR by a third party dealer.
Congrats. My cousin has one and I too find it a bit expensive. Did you by a any chance look at the new sumo as an option? My friend had a storm but the brakes on it made us drive it slower than a breeze. Wishing you lots of trouble free miles and I can vouch for its toughness in imperfect surfaces. Thumps up

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th July 2013 at 05:53. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
milu2fast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 19:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats ByDesign,
The love for your car will keep you smiling for a long time. Happy driving.
I was and am a big big fan of Bolero and almost bought one, my only concern was lack of safty features. Now I drive a Punto Sports and smiling just like you .
Old 10th July 2013, 23:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:

You are not a jeeper , so better stay away from these breeds, as this is meant for serious nuts.

I have been keenly looking for a bolero review over the last 1 year and quite happy to see one now. I have brought my bolero java brown on 2 nd of Jan 2013 from TVS cochin and costed me on road 8,05000/- (ZLX).

I have changed stock tyres 215/75/R15 to yokohama geolander 235/70/R15 and is an absolutue beuty to drive on. For all those who are planning for upsizing, pls note that the best size is 235/70/R15 tyres, and if the sidewall thickness is more than '75', it will foul with the fenders when taking on humps fully loaded. Any tyre widths more than 235 will result in tall gears which will be a pain for long drives. So my suggession is 235/70/R15 will just be a perfect upsize for boleros.

Iam a 100% satisfied customer and really feels kingsize when i drive it. I do own a figo, but after started using bolero, i hardly have any interests in my previous love Figo!!

Btw , cars will always be cars, and jeeps are a class apart! Bolero is just a jeep with a little softer exterior makeovers!! You will slowly fall in love with your bolero once you start flirting with her out in the tough terrains.

Quote:

No sidewall 75 for 235 tyre pls... It will foul with the fenders when taking hump fully loaded. best upsize is 235/70/R15 which is available in yoko geos with white lettering which looks awesome.....

Again warning you all, pls do not go beyond 70 side wall when upsizing to 235's.

Highwaypatrol

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th July 2013 at 05:55. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts + fixed broken quote tag.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 23:44   #44
BANNED

Congrats on the booking, did you look at the Sumo Gold as an option (it has better specs), I strongly feel with the rear wheel mounted, it is the closest thing on offering in India to the G63 (would not add the AMG part here ).
Old 11th July 2013, 05:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
You are not a jeeper , so better stay away from these breeds, as this is meant for serious nuts.

I have been keenly looking for a bolero review over the last 1 year and quite happy to see one now. I have brought my bolero java brown on 2 nd of Jan 2013 from TVS cochin and costed me on road 8,05000/- (ZLX).

I have changed stock tyres 215/75/R15 to yokohama geolander 235/70/R15 and is an absolutue beuty to drive on. For all those who are planning for upsizing, pls note that the best size is 235/70/R15 tyres, and if the sidewall thickness is more than '75', it will foul with the fenders when taking on humps fully loaded. Any tyre widths more than 235 will result in tall gears which will be a pain for long drives. So my suggession is 235/70/R15 will just be a perfect upsize for boleros.

Iam a 100% satisfied customer and really feels kingsize when i drive it. I do own a figo, but after started using bolero, i hardly have any interests in my previous love Figo!!

Btw , cars will always be cars, and jeeps are a class apart! Bolero is just a jeep with a little softer exterior makeovers!! You will slowly fall in love with your bolero once you start flirting with her out in the tough terrains.
Highwaypatrol
Not a jeep hater mate but I were to buy a Jeep, I would buy the real one with all the 4 wheel drive paraphernalia. I just don't see any value in Bolero, especially given the price and the competition at that price. But then again that's me. Enjoy your ride

Quote:
My heart was the only thing that got this deal going, and not facts on paper.
Says it all but I did try hard :P Guess I need to drive one. I was also once a Palio owner

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th July 2013 at 05:48. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks