Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 13:40   #46
BHPian

re: 2013 Mahindra Bolero - Rumble Tumble Tank comes home! (More Pics on Pg 5)

Got my VIN number today. It's a June 2013 manufactured Bolero. Nice and fresh in the stockyard. Hopefully will get to meet her in person tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan View Post
You will absolutely love the Bolero. It is an amazing vehicle and it makes u really calm behind the wheel. Here is a pic of my Bolero with Geolanders and alloys.
I'm hoping so too. Your jeep looks awesome. The Geolanders look quite impressive and add quite a bit of body on the car. What spec tires did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milu2fast View Post
Congrats. My cousin has one and I too find it a bit expensive. Did you by a any chance look at the new sumo as an option? My friend had a storm but the brakes on it made us drive it slower than a breeze. Wishing you lots of trouble free miles and I can vouch for its toughness in imperfect surfaces. Thumps up
I generally developed a slight mental block against Tata due to the plastics and build quality. Not to mention poor servicing experience (personal exp). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Congrats ByDesign,
The love for your car will keep you smiling for a long time. Happy driving.
I was and am a big big fan of Bolero and almost bought one, my only concern was lack of safty features. Now I drive a Punto Sports and smiling just like you .
I did think about the lack of safety features, but it wasn't a deciding factor in a jeep haha! I've been driving a no-abs, no-ebd, no-airbag for the past 3 years now and it's the best drive ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
You are not a jeeper , so better stay away from these breeds, as this is meant for serious nuts.
Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
No sidewall 75 for 235 tyre pls... It will foul with the fenders when taking hump fully loaded. best upsize is 235/70/R15 which is available in yoko geos with white lettering which looks awesome.....

Again warning you all, pls do not go beyond 70 side wall when upsizing to 235's.

Highwaypatrol
Thanks for the tip. I'll get the 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Congrats on the booking, did you look at the Sumo Gold as an option (it has better specs), I strongly feel with the rear wheel mounted, it is the closest thing on offering in India to the G63 (would not add the AMG part here ).
See above reply about Tatas. I've seen it on the road and no doubt, it's decent looking, but Tata just doesn't cut it for me. I was so close to booking a Storme, but the amount of negative feedback I got about Tata online just scared me away.
Old 11th July 2013, 13:53   #47
BHPian

ByDesign Congratulations !!! May the JEEP bring lots of happiness in your life. Waiting for the PICS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
It is indeed poor quality.
I wonder what would you call a German sedan with amazing fit and finish whose DSG gearbox packs up after two months of use. Poor quality ???

Quote:
As for the hatch back on stilts, name one hatchback which can officially fjord through 550mm of water and has 200 mm ground clearance yet handles beautifully and is good to drive.
Just look under the hood of an eco sport. Front wheel drive transaxle. Mac pherson struts up front. It is more Figo then Endevaour. I have nothing against Eco-sport. Its a fine vehicle. But i thing you are taking the SUV marketing hype by Ford too seriously.

Quote:
To clarify, these are just my opinions and are in no way meant to offend anyone. As you said to each one its own. Peace.
Caution non Jeeper detected. . I rest my case.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 15:23   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Got my VIN number today. It's a June 2013 manufactured Bolero. Nice and fresh in the stockyard. Hopefully will get to meet her in person tomorrow.
Congrats! And with the numbers Bolero does month after month, rest assured you will never get an old piece!

When you visited the stockyard, did you see any 'Rocky Beige' Bolero? Never seen one in this color, looks like they introduced it recently.
Old 11th July 2013, 16:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Congrats! And with the numbers Bolero does month after month, rest assured you will never get an old piece!

When you visited the stockyard, did you see any 'Rocky Beige' Bolero? Never seen one in this color, looks like they introduced it recently.
Rocky beige is more of a military green. And no, there were none in the stockyard. The only colors there were Diamond White, Fiery Black, and a couple of Mist Silvers. The missing colors were Toreador Red, Java Brown, and Rocky Beige.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 13:46   #50
BHPian

Note to Mod* - Please merge if necessary.

Payments for the car are now complete. Interestingly enough, the car whose VIN number was communicated to me was erroneously sold to someone else. Another black ZLX was sent to the showroom for me, and during inspection, I noted that according to the VIN number, this new one was made AFTER the previous one. The previous one had a serial number of 097 and the new one was 104, the rest of the code was identical.

The problem was, this piece was a showroom one, and had a lot of optional accessories already mounted on it. I had the alloys and bull guard removed, but they couldn't remove the rain visors and chrome scuff plates due to the adhesive/breaking off of the parts etc. I managed to get the visors thrown in for free (they actually pretty awesome on a black bolero), and paid almost landing price for the scuff plates. I liked the scuff plates a lot.

Waiting for registration now, hopefully will take deliver in the next few days.
Old 14th July 2013, 14:42   #51
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase, ByDesign.

Like milu2fast and Torquedo, I too would like to understand why you preferred the Bolero over the Sumo Gold.

I completely understand your initial response i.e. mental block against TATA on account of previous service experiences.

However, on the product side, I don't.

If it all possible, could you please check out the Sumo Gold at a local dealer and revert with your observations ?

I have recently had an opportunity to look at and drive / be driven in both these vehicles (both were BS4 variants) together over a few days on varying terrain ... and I was quite surprised by how differently the 2 vehicles performed.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 15:00   #52
BHPian

I don't think he can check out the sumo but I am looking forward to get info regarding sumo gold because I can't seem to get much in T-bhp. Has anybody had any experience??? From what I see I expect it to be much better than the older version.
Old 14th July 2013, 17:02   #53
BANNED

Quote:
From what I see I expect it to be much better than the older version.
The Sumo Gold is a vastly improved Sumo now and apart from the absence of a 4WD and the taxi image, is a much more comfortable, spacious and smooth vehicle compared to the Bolero.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 22:12   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Congratulations on your purchase, ByDesign.

Like milu2fast and Torquedo, I too would like to understand why you preferred the Bolero over the Sumo Gold.

I completely understand your initial response i.e. mental block against TATA on account of previous service experiences.

However, on the product side, I don't.

If it all possible, could you please check out the Sumo Gold at a local dealer and revert with your observations ?

I have recently had an opportunity to look at and drive / be driven in both these vehicles (both were BS4 variants) together over a few days on varying terrain ... and I was quite surprised by how differently the 2 vehicles performed.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Well it's a tad late now. I've already paid the full down payment on my car, so I'm going to have to give this one a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Sumo Gold is a vastly improved Sumo now and apart from the absence of a 4WD and the taxi image, is a much more comfortable, spacious and smooth vehicle compared to the Bolero.
So I've heard too. Maybe it was time I went with Mahindra. Tata can be my next car
Old 14th July 2013, 22:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I'm hoping so too. Your jeep looks awesome. The Geolanders look quite impressive and add quite a bit of body on the car. What spec tires did you get?
Thanks! the specs are the same as you have mentioned about getting, tires are good and they sure look great after a wash. The white lettering makes it very attractive.
And don't worry this jeep will not give you any trouble. It will happily go anywhere and is rock stable even at speeds of 130kmph(Speedo reading).
Old 16th July 2013, 22:16   #56
BHPian

That is my Bolero easily wading the floods of Kerala, June 2013. For the last 72,000 kms , it has never let me down -whether it be road or slime. And I don't think more sales in urban area is a compliment to any vehicle
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Mahindra Bolero - Rumble Tumble Tank comes home! EDIT: 14,000 Kms Update-photo0009.jpg  

2013 Mahindra Bolero - Rumble Tumble Tank comes home! EDIT: 14,000 Kms Update-photo0073.jpg  

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 16th July 2013 at 22:20.
Ashley Nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 22:37   #57
BHPian

One more thing I forgot to mention about these geolanders is that they splash a lot of water onto the windscreen, which can be blinding at times on the highway. And the next is they make you car really really dirty after the rains. Muck can sometimes reach inside the cabin if windows are open. Have to put a mud flap along the wheel well to stop this, but I have not done it yet.
ankan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 22:48   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think he can check out the sumo but I am looking forward to get info regarding sumo gold because I can't seem to get much in T-bhp. Has anybody had any experience??? From what I see I expect it to be much better than the older version.
Its much improved.ive TD riven the çr4 variant. It was in the city and i loved the low end torque in traffic.low NVH. Good driving position with excellent visibility. Seats are better than bolero.switches are shared with indigo. The all black interiors look better than bolero.

The bolero came across as tacky. I didnt TD the bolero cause it was too cramped for me.i banged my head and i could not see the rear windscreen through the orvm.

You should take a TD. And add your perspective to the scant SUMO presence on the forum.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 06:04   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I wonder what would you call a German sedan with amazing fit and finish whose DSG gearbox packs up after two months of use. Poor quality ???
Poorly engineered.

Quote:
Just look under the hood of an eco sport. Front wheel drive transaxle. Mac pherson struts up front. It is more Figo then Endevaour. I have nothing against Eco-sport. Its a fine vehicle. But i thing you are taking the SUV marketing hype by Ford too seriously.
On the contrary, I was replying to your comment on EcoSport being a hatchback on stilts. Its more than that and I know for a fact that its not a hardcore offroader and it never will be.

Quote:
Caution non Jeeper detected. . I rest my case.
And how's Bolero a Jeep?
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 11:21   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
That is my Bolero easily wading the floods of Kerala, June 2013. For the last 72,000 kms , it has never let me down -whether it be road or slime. And I don't think more sales in urban area is a compliment to any vehicle
Looks good! I really like the second pic. Are those stock tires? Has it had any tire changes/upgrades? How is the ride comfort and performance?

What are those fitted on the front grill? Are they extra lights? How much do they cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan
One more thing I forgot to mention about these geolanders is that they splash a lot of water onto the windscreen, which can be blinding at times on the highway. And the next is they make you car really really dirty after the rains. Muck can sometimes reach inside the cabin if windows are open. Have to put a mud flap along the wheel well to stop this, but I have not done it yet.
Why would water from the tires splash onto the windscreen? I don't understand this point. Those points that you have mentioned cause me to seriously rethink upsizing the tires.

If Ashley's tank has done 72000 kms without a tire upgrade, then I might just go with stock too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks