Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 20:13   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review

Hello all,
Happy new year to all BHPians.
Also a very happy birthday to team-bhp which was on "14th Feb". What a resourceful community it has been. Kudos to all mods and BHPians, who maintained top quality ownership reviews, technical discussions and unbiased official reviews.
Yes, we newbies are attracted by such stuff and that's how today I am here in this community. Passion for cars, passion for bikes and most importantly my passion towards driving these motors makes me "Live to Drive".
I eagerly wait for 2 events every year. One is air show and another is auto show. Air show happens at Bangalore every 2 years once. I haven’t missed from 2007.
Since this time auto show was held at Delhi, I missed it. I'm so much overwhelmed by the top class cars from in and around the world, that every night I dream of driving Honda cars, Chevvy Adra, BMW i8 and not to forget the most stunning Suzuki Ciaz.Of course most of the BHPians are also eagerly waiting to hold the steering of such cars. Isn’t it?

Here we go for unbiased ownership review
Team bhp Hyundai grand i10 preview is available at the following link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...0-preview.html

Official review of Grand i10 is available at this link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

Note: -
This is my first ownership review and it's more of my perspective. Please go easy on me.
The observations below do not intend to offend anyone who owns cars of those brands rejected by us.
This thread is influenced by various ownership reviews which are shared in team bhp. Thanks to all owners for their excellent survey.

Prologue: -
Our family didn’t own any car all these years. This is my first car and the dream of owning a car dated back 3 years ago. I currently own a 2 wheeler Honda Unicorn for my office use and other daily purposes.
My mom had undergone an operation and was unable to use public transport anymore and moreover nowadays public buses are hectic to travel in Bangalore. I had planned to buy a small compact car in 2010, but things weren't happening in my favor.
Days are gone where we were supposed to select the cars from only few brands. Today's wide market provides plenty of options in different segments. From starting of the year (2013), we started seriously to decide on a car which we thought would suit our family requirements. The reason to for hatchback is simple. Today’s hatchback market provides customers with more options. If hatchbacks can do your job then why sedan?

I am sedate driver and I considered below mentioned points before selecting the car.
• Decent mileage (about 15-17 kmpl in city or highway)
• Good after sales service and network
• Better Interiors with modern touch
• Budget of max 6-7 lakhs
• Good dealer/service network
• Decent cabin/luggage space
• Occasional 5 Seater
• Fresh hatch back. (Was my personal wish)
• Delivery of a car should not exceed more than a month.

The contenders were
: -
Swift
Chevrolet diesel
Hyundai grand i10 (which was included later)

Swift: -
Talked much about this car in many threads and guess what, it is worth talking more. The awesome handling, power and performance characteristic of this car has won my heart. But things which didn’t impress me are poor quality interiors, boot space and rear leg room of the car. The space is severely compromised in the name of styling. Also I felt swift was more likely shooting up my budget compared to competitors.
In my perspective, Suzuki should use their most sold vehicle by launching new editions with loaded features and new sizing and of course with competitive pricing. Just like Honda city which has undergone various design changes from the time of launch in India.
Looks like Suzuki is on their way to launch updated swift. Here is the link of updated swift scoop.
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour-...aunch?model=Mg==
I rejected this car from my list because, it was too outdated for the current market, pricey compared to competitors, and Interiors didn’t impress me.

Chevrolet Beat Diesel: -
A close friend of mine owns a beat diesel from past two years. We generally go for long drives on weekends. Few things which impressed me were funky style of the car which makes it unique compared to its competitors. The low ride quality of this car is too good, doesn't feel bumpy on roads. In city, this car is awesome to drive.
The thing which didn’t impress me is boot space and lack of after sales service around my area. This was enough to remove beat from contender’s list.

Hyundai Grand i10: -
I heard and seen a lot about grand i10 in various websites and also read first impression and previews about this car in team bhp.
As soon as I got the news that grand i10 has launched, I rushed to nearest trident Hyundai showroom which is located in KR Puram, Whitefield road, Bangalore to have a look at the car.
Firstly, it impressed me with exterior design, especially rear. Front design shares similarities with EON. Step inside the car, you will be blown away with the list of interiors grand i10 has. To name few parking sensors, rear ac vents, and engine push start/stop, auto mirrors folding, smart key and many more. The fit and finish of the interiors are of high quality. I was saying thanks to Hyundai in my mind for launching at right time.
This is the 5th hatchback in its line-up. The Grand looks like a more grown up and bolder Hyundai, further justifying it’s positioning, it’s got a new diesel engine under the hood. This 70bhp, 1,120cc engine is the first to be manufactured here in India at Hyundai’s plant in Chennai.

Specifications: -

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-specifications1.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-specifications2.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-specifications3.jpg

Test Drive Section: -

Petrol Engine
Now it was time to test the car engine. My friend accompanied me in this. We first tried petrol version. We switched on ignition and for a second we didn’t know that car has started. It was such a silent engine. Excellent noise reduction technology. The petrol engine specification is 82 BHP @ 6000 rpm. The engine was revv happy and effortless to drive in the city limits.
I need not talk much about the kappa2 petrol engine, as they are already proven in market.

Diesel Engine
This engine is essentially 1.4-litre unit compared to the i20 with one cylinder less.
This time Hyundai is playing safe game by deploying 3 cylinder diesel engine at B2 segment. Hyundai claims mileage of 24 kmpl for this car. Drive the Grand i10 and you’ll notice that the three-cylinder diesel flutters and vibrates a bit at low engine speeds. This car is 2nd generation 1120 cc 3 cylinder CRDi engine which produces 70 BHP @ 4000 rpm and 160 Nm of torque @ 1500-2500 rpm. This engine is built for mileage, not for top end punch on highways. The noises of engine are in acceptable levels. With all rolled up window glasses and when engine is running on sweet spots around 2500rpm, hardly one can hear the engine noise. The drive-ability of diesel engine is too good. The mid-range feels peppy, the super-slick gearbox is easily the best in the class, and the Grand i10 settles into an effortless cruise when driven in a relaxed manner.

Misconception
After taking test drives, from next day onwards I was discussing with my friends about the new launched car. Clearly, there is a still misconception in people that the new grand i10 is just the update of older i10. These words may spread as rumors and especially who haven't seen the car yet, may believe it. Out of 10, 7 people were under misunderstanding about the grand i10 and older i10. This car can be neither compared to i10 nor i20. This car is built on completely new platform and stands unique from the other Hyundai car's list. This Grand i10 is 10cm longer than the European one and this addition has been made considering the Indian conditions.
This car is designed smartly and styled with new design appeal; it comes with lots of cabin space and the features. Like most other Hyundai cars today, the Grand i10 too comes with partial Fluidic design theme. Swept-back headlamps and a big hexagonal grille with chunky fog lamps make front view of the car awesome. I love the rear part of the car; styling feels neat and fresh in segment.

What I like: -
  • Fresh design from Hyundai, it was looking neither i10 nor i20.
  • My personal wish was to buy fresh hatchback and I got it. Though the grand i10 has shared some design from eon, i10 or i20, it is hardly noticeable. The fresh feel of the car just catches the immediate attention from public. A definite head turn I should say. Hyundai has released the car with eight colors; I still prefer royal blue which is in i20 and eon. May be, this color would be launched in facelift version in future.
  • Fuel Efficient Diesel Engine. As I mentioned earlier, U2 1.1, CRDi diesel engine is built strictly for mileage. At the end of the day, mileage matters for aam aadmi. Driving the car is too easy. Sedate driving style is most suited for this engine. One can experience bit vibration when engine is started but once car gets moving all the vibrations are well dampened. I still prefer 4 cylinders in place of 3 cylinders engine here. To throw competitive price in market, Hyundai has placed safe game here.
  • Rear leg room and Rear AC vents. Rear leg room is best in segment and can be compared to sedan cars. The inclined rear seats gives good support to your back and you can stretch your legs all the way under the front seat. On recent ban on sun films, rear AC vents of this car is a welcome move. I think upcoming new cars may come with installed rear AC vents in coming years as we see in new Honda city.
  • Smooth Gearbox Transmission. The engine is married to 5 speed manual gearbox transmission. The gears are short throw and come quite handy in city traffic conditions. The reverse gear for diesel car is located on extreme left (next to 1st gear) which has to be operated by pressing the bottom lever. Petrol car comes with conventional reverse gear which is located near 5th gear.
  • Interior Quality. Nothing can be commented on Hyundai's interior quality. I always rank high Hyundai in interiors. Beige and black colors are used. Usage of beige color is limited in this car. Maintaining the car interiors won't be hectic. Beige is used on few areas of dashboard, doors and seats. The overall fit and finish and the plastic quality is pretty good, and is one of the best in the segment. Brilliant interior packaging, Kudos to Hyundai.
  • Good Boot Space. The boot is around 256 liters which sounds good compared to competitors. My weekend trips will easily fit in. Spare tyre, jack and Hyundai tool kit are nicely organized.
What I Don’t Like: -
• No rear defogger up-to sportz variant. I think Hyundai should consider standardizing the defogger across all variants.
• Safety equipment’s such as ABS, Airbags and defoggers are available only in Asta (optional) variants.
• Well-built 5th Occupant may find difficulty to sit during long drives. Some more “mm” of increase in cabin width would have been most welcome move. Complains from 5th occupant are for sure. Four are preferred for this car on long drives.
• No average fuel consumption indicator but there is two trip meters.

Final Decision: -
Final decision was made on Ganesha festival. I booked the car on this auspicious day by paying 3 lakhs down payment. Salesman told me that he will deliver the car by 3 weeks. Color of the car was selected by home minister. Yes! My wife.

Now the question is which variant?
My earlier plan was to go for "Grand i10 Petrol asta". The On road price of the petrol asta was 6.85 lakhs approx. I was okay with that. But after changing my decision to diesel, I was in a dilemma, whether to go for diesel asta or sportz. The diesel asta was around 7.85 lakhs approx. But I needed a safety feature, at the least defogger. The sportz variant in both petrol and diesel are not equipped with defogger. I couldn't stretch my budget more than 7 lakhs. So I decided for sportz diesel by compromising safety features.

My personal questions to Hyundai?
• Why not, at the least defoggers should be standard across all variants? Not only defogger, most of the safety features should be kept as top priority from magna variants onwards. Hyundai has not compromised in interior and exterior quality of the car then why in safety?
• Hyundai would have eliminated the push start button, roof rails (as per my view) up-to sportz variant and added a defogger in same variant. Features such as push start button, auto mirror folding should have been made standard for asta variant.
• The difference in on road price from sportz to asta is around 71400 Rs. in Bangalore.
• In 71400 Rs. nearly 9000 Rs. is gone for road tax. Remaining is 62400 Rs.
For rest 62400 Rs. here is the lists which are available only in asta variant.
• Driver and passenger airbags are optional.
• ABS is optional.
• Diamond cut alloys are optional.
• Rear defoggers are standard.
• Rear spoilers are standard.
• Alloy wheels "clean silver" is standard.
• Leather wrapped steering wheel is standard.
• Bluetooth Connectivity and 1GB internal memory is standard.
• Rear wash and Wiper is standard.
• Driver seat height adjuster and adjustable rear seat headrests are standard.

The question I have here is can Hyundai play a safe game by swapping some features from sportz to asta variants and vice versa. I understand the severe competition in market which makes more difficult them to swap the features, but can Hyundai take initiative in standardizing the safety features at-least from magna variant onwards?

Delivery day: -
The D-day (delivery day) was finally arrived. I took the delivery of car on 11th October-2013.
Here are few snaps taken at showroom. I couldn’t get more as new car had a huge scratch on bonnet. Isn’t it heart breaking? It broke my heart more than when I lost my first love.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-img_0214.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-img_0218.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-img_0220.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-img_0222.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-img_0223.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-img_0226.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-img_0252.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-img_0257.jpg  

Last edited by GRAND23 : 19th February 2014 at 17:49.
GRAND23 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 14:10   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review

Buying Process: -
Dealer: - Trident Hyundai, Whitefield Road, Bangalore
On road price: - 7, 19,000/-
Accessories: - Chassis under coat and up modulator
Finance: - 3 lakhs down payment and rest took car loan with SBH (State bank of Hyderabad) for floating interest of 10.25%.
Freebies: - None (Since it was new car), Anyway I have bargained for car cover at the least. But the standard accessories for grand has not released. Dealer said that me that once it reaches them, they will contact me.
Discounts: - No discounts for new car.

About Trident Hyundai dealers, Whitefield: -
Overall the process went smooth. But definitely requires an improvement in many areas. I rate the dealer "3" out of "5" as an average.
On delivery day, I was waiting for long time. I informed them the timings of delivery but still the salesman was not at showroom on time. I kept waiting for nearly 2 hours.
Moreover car had huge 2 to 3 scratches on the bonnet. This incident took my frustration level to extreme extent.
Thanks to PDI (Pre delivery inspection) checklist of team bhp which helped me to identify such things. Day light delivery is must according to me. Anyway, I dodn't loose my temper and discussed about incident with sales manager, he quickly agreed to change the bonnet and they provided me the slip which says that. He changed the bonnet after a week of delivery.
But still, this should not happen on delivery day. I could not digest this incident for many days.

Observations after covering nearly 7000 kms: -
I have covered around 7000 kms, and enjoyed every drive.
B2 segment car sale has fierce competition. Highest percentage of cars sold in India falls in this category. So making sales at this segment is crucial for auto manufacturers to survive the competition here. Well, I should say that Hyundai has managed to capture the Indian market in larger segments. The way Hyundai is setting its own standards in market is really awesome. When someone talks about Hyundai, the very first words which come to my mind are Quality, premium feel and creative products in market.
Hyundai i10 and i20 are best selling cars in India. The gap between these cars were to be filled. I found in few showrooms displaying swift vs i20. I feel i20 is not competetitor for swift and neither swift with i20. Being aware of this gap, Hyundai should have introduced grand i10 bit earlier according to me. May be they would earned them more sales.
Well, driving has been pleasure in this car. Start the engine; you will experience surprisingly less noise diesel engine. There is a bit vibration when you start the engine and then noise levels settles down nicely as car moves. You won't even know that you have ignited the 3 cylinder engine. Shift the gear to first and light pressure on accelerator, car gets moving. The gearbox design is impressive and it’s quite handy in Bangalore traffic conditions. At second gear, you can almost move the car from zero. Car hits the sweet spots at 5th gear, 2500 rpm. At this point of time, you can hardly hear the engine noise. I felt as if I am driving some petrol engine.
But there are negative sides also. Try to revv the car beyond 3500 rpm; you feel the motor is running out of breath. Down shifting the gear is crucial while overtaking in highways. Well planned overtaking is very much preferred.
AC is powerful, cools the cabin quickly you can imagine. Rear AC vents are becoming very useful during hot days. If the car is fully loaded with passengers and AC is on, you will experience very less power at low speeds. Power delivery drops quickly you can imagine, even when you are at second gear. Shifting the gear to third soon is good option which I found.
Coming to interiors, as GTO stated in his official review Interiors are nowhere compared to swift. Grand i10 interiors rule at this segment. One can see any flaw in the interiors. Fits are great, plastic quality feels premium and durable. There are several manufacturers who keep their costs high with low interior quality. I think the trend is changing now and I hope there will be some improvements in the coming days in the area of interiors across all manufacturers.
Interiors come with black and beige combination colours. Black dominates most of the interiors; beige is used beautifully as lining on dashboard. This combination goes good with me. Maintaining the interiors is not hectic. The front row seats have integrated neck restraints which is evidence of cost cutting. Rear seats get adjustable neck restraints only in asta variant. I feel front seats would have come with bit extended neck restraints, because my head reaches bit beyond the existing seat height. Front seats adjustment range is excellent.
Visibility is excellent. Front and rear views are clear to driver. Rear hatch glass gives excellent view from driver angle. You can catch all action going behind. Headroom is great at both front and rear seats. Good ergonomics overall by Hyundai.
Music system is factory fitted. Well integrated in dashboard. Speakers are not so powerful, music lovers may don't like this. No Bluetooth connectivity or storage options in sportz variant. Music system is very user friendly and easily accessible. There are no button options on steering for music control. All you have is trip and reset button on steering. Steering is chunky and feels durable. No steering vibration at high speeds and response from steering is impressive. The horn pad on steering doesn't extend wider; you need to stretch your hands very frequently in traffic conditions. I was not satisfied with ingress and egress. Bit stressful egress and several adjustments required after ingress. My height is 5 feet 10 inches.

Mileage: -
Hyundai claims Grand i10 diesel mileage as 24 kmpl.
In city, mileage what I am getting now is approx. 17-18 kmpl. Yes, mileage is totally dependent on how you drive and road condition also. After first service I found good improvement in mileage.
I was able to get mileage around 21-22 kmpl on highways. I am extremely delighted.

Exterior styling & design: -
Observe the rear styling. I love it. It is a head turning style.
No rear defoggers.
4 parking sensors which are very useful while taking reverse, alerts you with single beep sound and then when car is very near to object a continuous beep in cabin will make you to change your decision.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-201312292009_11_31.jpg

My favourite one. May be some more such quotes from team bhp.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-09.11.52.jpg

Rear end styling is impressive. Good wrapping at corners.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-09.12.26.jpg
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-09.12.54.jpg

Side Skirts comes from sportz variant onwards.
Chrome door handles and sensor located at front doors only.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-09.13.38.jpg

Headlights are powerful and I think design resembels with EON.
Hexagonal front grill.
Chunky fog lamps.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-201312292009_14_46.jpg

Antenna location over the roof.
Smooth surface on roof. No corrugated sheet design, which is genrally done for stiffening over roof.
Length is almost same as TATA vista which parks behind my car.
Roof rails.
Looks compact and neatly designed body.
Quality looks great for me. Paint quality is too good. The styling of this car appeals more to youth. There are certain angles such as if you observe the head lights from side, you feel you are seeing Eon car. Of Course this car is designed by taking better designs from Eon, i10, i20. It's a good move according to me since all these cars are liked and welcomed by customers. No where I can see huge gaps in door panels. Fit and Finish are precise.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.28.17.jpg

Interiors: -
Dashboard comes with little beige and more black. Observe the AC vents which are either sides of the music system.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.18.30.jpg

Music system is very handy to use. Sound clarity from speakers wouldn't be much appreciated from music lovers, but does well for others who won't give much interest in music clarity.
AC is powerful. Cabin gets cooled surprisingly quickly.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131201-16.13.23.jpg

There is a trip meter and reset button mounted on steering. You can toggle between trip A and trip B by using the trip button and reset to zero using reset button.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131201-16.12.24.jpg

Power mirror folding button. Works only when car electrical accessories are on.
Mirror Adjustment.
No auto lock option in grand, hence only manual locking option available. Don't forget to lock the door before you start to drive.
Auto down available.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131201-16.13.07.jpg

Glove box is small; it was difficult to fit in A4 folder file.
Yes, there is cooling vent at the corner of glovebox.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131201-16.13.49.jpg

Gear Knob. Observe the reverse gear location which is located on left corner. Once you lock the gear in reverse, a beep sound assures that the gear has been locked.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131201-16.14.28.jpg

Beautiful Ganesha idol on dashboard and my Honda unicorn turning it's face as nowadays I take more about my car.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.18.55.jpg

Accelerator, Brakes and Clutches
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.19.15.jpg

There is no boot opening lever. Just make sure that you are opening the boot when remote key is in your pocket. Press the button which is tucked under "H" logo to open the rear hatch door. Also observe the floor mats are not seating at the hook position because the grand floor mats were still not available, so sales man gave me i10 floor mats until he receives new one.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.20.02.jpg

Blue Illumination. Looks nice.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131101-20.03.24.jpg

Speedometer and displays.
When I took the snap of odometer it was 4000 kms and now its 7000+
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.21.42.jpg

Engine Start/Stop Button.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.22.02.jpg

Passenger Vanity mirror and Cabin lamp.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.22.39.jpg

Handle at all 4 sides of door
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.23.22.jpg

Fuse box near driving seat.
Advice from Hyundai service centre is to switch the fuse to off position, if you are not using the car more than one day or else battery may get drain out soon.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.24.16.jpg

Cool storage cubicles.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-10.25.44.jpg

Suspension & ride quality: -
Suspension feels better and low ride quality is good. Hyundai’s Grand i10 is exceptionally light to drive for a diesel car. The super-light clutch pedal, electric power steering and gearshifts make this car a breeze to drive in the city. Its soft suspension does a good job of dispatching speed breakers and potholes, but it does thump over big, sharp bumps.
Comments on the steering, braking, high speed stability: -
Steering responsive is good. Braking is also effective but sometimes I experienced sudden jerks.

165/65 R14 Goodyear tubeless tyres.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131229-09.13.59.jpg

Incident occurred after few months of delivery: -
A crack started on front shield after some days. I started this discussion in team bhp but got very few responses.
Here is the link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3299436
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-20131119-13.23.18.jpg

This was my first car; I had less idea about cracks. I took car to one of the service centre in ITPL. The service manager said that crack is developed by some external force or object. But there were no such impressions on glass; I was not convinced with this answer. Manager said that new installation of front wind shield would cost around 8500 Rs.

I took the car to the showroom from where I got it. I explained them everything and they took the snap and sent to Hyundai. After 2 days, technical expert came from Saint Gobain to inspect my car. He took lot of time to investigate and told me that it was not due to any external force or any foreign object impact. Indeed crack has developed by itself because of unevenness assembling of bonnet.
If you remember I told you about scratch on bonnet and exchange of new bonnet. While service team installing new bonnet, they assembled it uneven way which was causing bit eccentric loading. This caused crack to initiate from bottom and travel all over the glass.
He says it’s a very rare case. Anyway, I got it replaced with free of cost.

Investigation been conducted from Technical Expert.
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review-201312052012_25_32.jpg

To conclude, one can go for this car if his/her priorities are mileage, interiors quality, sedate driving style, comfort and space.

So far so good. I will keep posting more as I get to know more about the car. I haven't uploaded many snaps as every detail is captured in official review. If anyone requires any specific snap please let me know, I can upload the same.
Special thanks to my colleague Sachin for assisting me in editing pictures and texts.

Last edited by GRAND23 : 20th February 2014 at 07:30.
GRAND23 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 15:37   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 19:02   #4
BHPian

Let me be the first to congratulate you for your first car.

It is indeed a nice car for city drives and occasional highways. The straight line stability is best by Hyundai standards! Have a trouble free and happy mile munching!

Cheers!
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 12:59   #5
BHPian

Congrats on your car mate, i10 is undoubtly a VFM car.
Enjoy your drives and keep on updating the thread. Cheers.
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:57   #6
BHPian

Thanks Sudeep and mobix.
It is undoubtly a VFM car.
Old 25th February 2014, 10:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your grand acquisition and a very well written first report with all the details included in. Also sad to hear that there was a damage at the time of delivery itself and further resultant damage due to replacement done to the bonnet.

Have been hearing such stories of indifferent sale experiences by others especially a colleague who recently bought a grand i10 petrol as to how the showroom folks were all enthusiastic till the sale process and their interest downed at the delivery process itself!

Also fully agree on the safety features that should not be skimped by companies such as ABS and defogger especially in the diesel car (exception of Ertiga on that) as they generally tend to visit the highways much more requiring such safety packs.

Enjoy your ride and keep us posted often.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 11:19   #8
BHPian

Nice review there. Glad you got your windshield issue sorted out for free. Clearly these service centers first instinct is to take you for a ride. I had a bad encounter with Hyundai once.

I have heard rumors about grand i10 not starting up and switching off the fuse box is one of their solutions. Can't really believe that for modern cars so not believing those rumors but reading your review has got me wondering again.
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 15:48   #9
ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
I have heard rumors about grand i10 not starting up and switching off the fuse box is one of their solutions. Can't really believe that for modern cars so not believing those rumors but reading your review has got me wondering again.
Software! They fixed it with a firmware update in December last year. The newer batches don't have that problem.
ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 19:04   #10
BHPian

Congratulations GRAND23, for your acquisition. It is a lovely car. What really surprised me was how Hyundai was able to squeeze in another hatchback in their already crowded portfolio (Santro, i10 and i20), and still be able to distinguish the offering in terms of pricing.

And, pardon me if I missed it in your post, but any reason that you did not have Brio in your list of cars to select from?
Old 25th February 2014, 19:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Have been hearing such stories of indifferent sale experiences by others especially a colleague who recently bought a grand i10 petrol as to how the showroom folks were all enthusiastic till the sale process and their interest downed at the delivery process itself!
You are right! Irrespective of manufacturer, all sales and post sales experiences are same. It happens only in India. Not only in car sales, pick any sales situation is same. After payment, customer is expected to go and knock their doors for each and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash View Post
Software! They fixed it with a firmware update in December last year. The newer batches don't have that problem.
Yes!
New car models have been fixed. My car model was OCT-13, service team called me up and updated a software. That day I could see one customer fighting with service team as car was not starting. He parked the car for a week, after his return he could not start the car. His model was grand i10 petrol asta.
Actually we can avoid this happening by switching off fuse box if you are parking for more than a day. This avoids battery to drain out.
GRAND23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 20:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
And, pardon me if I missed it in your post, but any reason that you did not have Brio in your list of cars to select from?
Oh yeah! To be very honest, initially I made up my mind to go for Brio. I love this car very much. That was when I was thinking about buying petrol car. After changing my decision to go for diesel, Brio was dropped from my list.
However, my friend is in process of buying Brio.
I am going to drive her on weekends.
Why he should have all the fun?
Old 25th February 2014, 20:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Great Buy! Wish you comfortable and safe driving. Thanks for sharing the ownership report.

Your experience with the windshield glass really surprised me - I had never heard of this type of issue arising before...

You mentioned that the mileage improved after first service - could you comment what it was before and after ?
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 07:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Your experience with the windshield glass really surprised me - I had never heard of this type of issue arising before...
You mentioned that the mileage improved after first service - could you comment what it was before and after ?
Yes, this is rare issue. One more issue what I faced was car got locked with key inside and no passengers in Tirupati.
Actually my car is fitted with "up modulator" device. One of my friend took the car outside at 2am and parked it on mid road. He was waiting for us. He parked the car, switched off the engine, left the key inside and came out of the car. He saw glasses were not rolled up, so he just pressed manual lock of the door from outside. What happened next was shocking. All the glasses got rolled up and car got centrally locked. At 2am, whom do we expect to help. First thing what we did was contacting Hyundai customer care, but they told help would arrive only after 7am. We tried to search for local mechanic, we got few guys at 5.30am. But they were unable to unlock the doors. Finally at 6.30 Hyundai technician arrived. He tried to unlock it by thin steel wire. But he was unsuccessful and said he has unlocked many cars but couldn't do it for grand i10. Again one more technician arrived at 9.15 and he unlocked the car by 9.30. He just shorted the electric system, doors got unlocked easily.
This is also a very rare incident. If up modulator wasn't there, then glasses would have been open. But taking this incident in positive way, this car security system is strong and built for safety.

To answer your question on mileage, I was able to get mileage in city 15-16 kmpl and in highways 20 kmpl.
Old 27th February 2014, 12:24   #15

Hi Grand23,

Congratulations on your new car and wishing a many a miles of happy motoring . I was interested to know how much is the difference in OTR for Petrol and Diesel Gi10. Also when you say Optional, Your final OTR figures includes all the Optional or excluding them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks