Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Sailing on tarmac : The Chevrolet Sail ownership report @ 20,000 kms

Yes, It sure has a good look, When I first saw the car I chased it for a Kilometer to have a better look and to know the make. It sure has better space than Maruti equivalents.
Old 23rd November 2013, 00:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
When you bought the Sail, was the Amaze available? That would have been a good option as well if available.
Nope, the Amaze came out a month or two later.
It wouldn't have made it to the list anyway, back seat comfort is a hoax in the sub 4 metre sedans.

Quote:
Also, the front seats are raised in the Sail as the fuel tank sits below the front seats and not below the rear seats. You should have some storage space below the rear seats. Similar to the Honda City.
Interesting bit of info. I really did not know this. Thanks Viddy
Yes, there is space under the rear seats, can park a bag or two when travelling with 3 passengers at the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
As you have completed 20,000 kms can you share the involved service costs?
Company pays the bill
Will surely check on the 1st+2nd service bills and post it here.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 12:49   #18
BHPian

Hi Parrys, congrats on your car! this ownership report comes of great help as there was no official review of this car on TBHP.

Also wanted to ask whether you opted for the 3 year chevrolet promise which i guess costs an additional 20K on the price, if not any reasons why??

I had bought a Spark from Nikhil automobiles in 2009, have no compliants but i advise to closely inspect your car after every service as the mechanics are prone to blunders. however the service managers are very friendly and co-operate very well.

Also how was your experience with the recall for the diesel engine problem?

I too think the car is a value proposition and was looking forward to a refreshed version
http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...year-10118.htm

thanks for the report, and happy driving!
Old 23rd November 2013, 19:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Parry congrats on your new buy. Must say it is a smart looking car and a great near 'official' review at that. Have seen a few more on the road and seemed to be impressed by the neat lines and functional proportions.

Now coming to others options agree with your take on 4m cars like Amaze in terms of cramped rear, however it is one car to give a serious thought in todays times with a well rounded package.

GM did flounder with this one as usuall with the engine recall etc and interested to know what was it in your case. Happy mile munching on a daily basis!
Old 23rd November 2013, 19:30   #20
BHPian

The car definitely suits the purpose. But if your Dad's office pays the bills, why didn't you buy a petrol instead?. If petrol would have suited, the Honda City it was! And why not the Scala? A better looking Sunny! If it were now for you to buy a car, would you have bought the Grand or perhaps the Amaze. The Sail is definitely a very staid and to the point car, no unnecessary flamboyance or style. While many may like this approach, I find it a little too boring.
Old 23rd November 2013, 20:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Also wanted to ask whether you opted for the 3 year chevrolet promise which i guess costs an additional 20K on the price, if not any reasons why??
Nope. Not sure if the car would hang around for 3 years. Dad (company) was not very willing to pay the amount in advance.

Quote:
Also how was your experience with the recall for the diesel engine problem?
It will be taken care of in the next service @ 22,500 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Now coming to others options agree with your take on 4m cars like Amaze in terms of cramped rear, however it is one car to give a serious thought in todays times with a well rounded package.
For the engine, I would surely take a test drive. But nothing beyond that. For me, the Amaze is ugly. I love the Brio, but do not like the boot-y job on the Amaze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
The car definitely suits the purpose. But if your Dad's office pays the bills, why didn't you buy a petrol instead?
The office boys insisted on a diesel sedan.

Quote:
If petrol would have suited, the Honda City it was! And why not the Scala?
Yes, the Honda city would have been perfect. Scala - NO! A different head lamp and tail lamp doesn't justify the ugly dsign to me.

Quote:
If it were now for you to buy a car, would you have bought the Grand
There is some discussion about another car, and I have already made a Grand suggestion.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
For me, the Amaze is ugly. I love the Brio, but do not like the boot-y job on the Amaze.
I guess what is sweet for someone is poison for someone else. For me, it is a sore sight to see the Brio, especially the rear end, while I really like the Amaze and its rear, especially in comparison with the Dzire and its rear.

Quote:
There is some discussion about another car, and I have already made a Grand suggestion.
The Grand Sumo, right?
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

[quote=misquitas;3301448]I guess what is sweet for someone is poison for someone else. For me, it is a sore sight to see the Brio, especially the rear end, while I really like the Amaze and its rear, especially in comparison with the Dzire and its rear.[quote]

Actually it was the ad that made me fall in love with the Brio.
+ i love that blue shade.

Yes looks are subjective. Different people, different taste.

Quote:
The Grand Sumo, right?
No no, I meant the Grand i10.
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Yes looks are subjective. Different people, different taste.
That only adds to the wonderful diversity of tastes and preferences.

Quote:
No no, I meant the Grand i10.
Isn't it obvious? Why do you think I add that smily? With a person of 'Grand' tastes, the Sumo was obviously ruled out.
Old 24th November 2013, 17:13   #25
BHPian

Congratulations Parrys for the car & an excellent review.

Sail may not be the most desirable C1 car to own but is definitely a great VFM choice. Indeed its a smart looking sedan.

I have had two products from GM, Corsa & Spark and I can vouch they make solid VFM cars.

Wish you many happy miles ahead.

Last edited by S.MJet : 24th November 2013 at 17:16.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:20   #26
BHPian

Congrats Parrys for your new buy. I am also a SAIL owner now and can say that this car is bang for the buck.

I have asked this on other thread too but want to again ask you the same since you are from Mumbai.

1. My dealer has charged me around 7500/- extra towards the registration and also given me a official receipt saying charges for RTO registration service. My question is this a standard practice across all Chevy dealers?

2. My dealer hasnt given any original PUC certificate stating that new cars dont need any PUC for first 6 months. The law is not stated very clearly on RTO website as well. Does anybody know the exact interpretation? BTW T-Bhp check list says original PUC to be given by dealer which is valid for one year.

Last edited by geekyengineer : 25th November 2013 at 11:45.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

parrys
Congrats on the new car and good that you found one car that suits all your needs.

I disagree with Sunny being ugly though. I own a Sunny in red colour and it impresses me at some angles. Sunny looks best in red and blue colours. When I bought it I felt it is good enough that I can live with it for next 5 years and it's other merits far outweighed the looks for me. And I enjoy it on a long family drive.

Enjoy your car.
Old 25th November 2013, 15:16   #28
BHPian

That's a detailed ownership thread! The Sail seems to be a good package overall. Wish you many miles and smiles with your new ride!

I too owned a bowtie badger earlier, but the lack of reliability of the vehicles, expensive repairs and the horrible service from the ASS made me NOT consider a Chevy again. I wish you a great experience with your Chevy!

Quote:
Nope, the Amaze came out a month or two later.
It wouldn't have made it to the list anyway, back seat comfort is a hoax in the sub 4 metre sedans.
Trust me, you'll be surprised!
Old 25th November 2013, 17:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Trust me, you'll be surprised!
Nah, it looks too quirky for our taste.
And you will agree that it is a notch below when it comes to rear seat legroom, compared to the Sail.
Old 26th November 2013, 09:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
1. My dealer has charged me around 7500/- extra towards the registration and also given me a official receipt saying charges for RTO registration service. My question is this a standard practice across all Chevy dealers?
Since you have an official receipt quoting that price, it seems legit. However, you must be having a fair idea of how the RTO works, right?
Did you ask for a special number though? If yes, then the price is justified. The RTO does charge a premium.

Quote:
2. My dealer hasnt given any original PUC certificate stating that new cars dont need any PUC for first 6 months. The law is not stated very clearly on RTO website as well. Does anybody know the exact interpretation? BTW T-Bhp check list says original PUC to be given by dealer which is valid for one year.
Even we do not have it. Rarely does a dealer provide this, I assume. However, if a cop asks for it, you can show your vehicle documents for the proof that your car is less than 1 year old. Best solution is just get it done after the delivery. It is better not to let the dealer guys take the car for a spin for this, once you have taken the delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
I disagree with Sunny being ugly though.
Personal choice, no offence.
I agree the Sunny has a very comfortable rear seat, and all that space. But the interiors were a big let down for me. Dad did not like the exterior design that much. He likes the conventional (read : boring) clean lines or even a flat sheet metal.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks