Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 09:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Sailing on tarmac : The Chevrolet Sail ownership report @ 20,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk20 View Post
Hi,

Am a SAIL LS Diesel owner. Have travelled 7000 Kms. Barring panel and dashboard noise, the car has performed well so far. It is VFM. Hence the interiors are sparse and of seemingly flimsy plastic. Only hope quality holds out. GM needs to get its act together on this car, given the package of price , space, looks and performance.
Even I have a Chevrolet Sail LS ABS model, diesel variant. So far my car has done around 13K on the odometer. Till date the problem I have faced is only the squeaking noise that comes from the front panel. But only concern I have is of Economy figures, My car is giving around 19KMPL average. This figure has been consistently come up on long drives no matter how I drive. Just wanted to know what figure your car is showing with respect to economy?
pg83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 11:19   #47

On the highway it should give you around 19 kmph with 5th gear driving between 80-100 kmph. I think the average should improve if you maintain 80-90 kmph. I have travelled 1600 kms in December in the South where road conditions by and large are extremely good. Averages that I have mentioned is from this trip.

In city driving in Bangalore, I get around 14-15 kmph with intermittent use of the AC. Bangalore traffic is pretty bad and is of frequent stop/start variety.

Suggest an oil change and cleaning of air filters. I have run 9000 kms and plan to change oil by 10000. Had the air filter cleaned before going on the trip. All this plus driving , keeping in mind the gear ratios of the car should give you a decent mileage. However, 21-22 km per litre is an exaggeration (under ideal test conditions). Don't look for that.
Old 28th January 2014, 18:10   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My friend has a Brio.
I don't think there is any difference in the rear seat space between the Brio and the Amaze.

When comparing comfort for 3 passengers in the rear seat, the Amaze is very cramped. The Sail is quite comfortable.

I frequently travel with 2 child seats and an adult in the rear seat of my Sail UVA.
I just happened to come across this info, so posting it here for the benefit of the readers.

For whatever it's worth:
Sailing on tarmac : The Chevrolet Sail ownership report @ 20,000 kms-dimensions.jpg

So, the Sail is just 10 mm wider than Brio/Amaze (1690 mm vs 1680 mm). Also, between the Brio and Amaze, the Amaze has a longer wheelbase and hence has much more leg room than the Brio. I've had also checked out the Sail Sedan when I had been to the ASS for some work on my earlier Chevy. Was spacious, yes, but not significantly more than the Amaze.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th May 2014 at 10:20. Reason: Old post - but removing a corrupt image.
Old 28th January 2014, 21:25   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
So, the Sail is just 10 mm wider than Brio/Amaze (1690 mm vs 1680 mm).
Just to add a piece of note, don't go with Overall width to justify the seating space. Door thickness matters a lot in justifying it. I'm not debating on amaze space and I don't know which of these (sail / amaze) got thicket doors. Even I'm not sure about the amaze rear seat spaciousness, but IMO Sail's rear seat is more comfortable & spacious than Brio.
Old 28th January 2014, 22:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Parrys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
[*]Imperfect suspension, dad still prefers to be driven around in the 2008 Hyundai Verna.[*]Light steering can surprise you on a high speed corner, needs a firm hand.[*]Missing creature comforts like climate control, MID, steering-mounted audio controls, seat height adjustment.[*]Daewoo Cielo like centrally-placed power window switches.
Interesting to hear about your opinion on ride. The Sail has been praised for good ride and our own review of the UVA said the same. Is the UVA suspension tuned that different?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-26.html

Regarding steering, its one of the few remaining that still use hydraulic power steering. Still hasn't helped looks like.

Power window switch on the console actually requires same amount of body movement to get to. Its just a matter of getting used to and can be annoying is when you switch cars frequently

How does it compare to SX4, Etios etc. Perhaps your dad got used to the soft suspension of the Verna

Last edited by Mpower : 30th January 2014 at 22:19.
Old 28th January 2014, 22:51   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
So, the Sail is just 10 mm wider than Brio/Amaze (1690 mm vs 1680 mm). Also, between the Brio and Amaze, the Amaze has a longer wheelbase and hence has much more leg room than the Brio. I've had also checked out the Sail Sedan when I had been to the ASS for some work on my earlier Chevy. Was spacious, yes, but not significantly more than the Amaze.
From the official reviews.

Amaze
Quote:
Euro Car Guru - Moderator Ajmat (5'11") - set the driver's seat up for himself. Then, he jumped at the back:

Sail
Quote:
That's the legroom available for (5'8") Rehaan sitting behind his driving position:

Last edited by bblost : 28th January 2014 at 22:53.
Old 29th January 2014, 12:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Interesting to hear about your opinion on ride. The Sail has been praised for good ride and our own review of the UVA said the same. Is the UVA suspension tuned that different?
It is just a little stiff for our taste. Going from Hyundai soft to almost anything else in the market, you do feel the bump, if not the jump (like Hyundai's). Plus, the stiff suspension is already leading to some rattles inside the cabin, within one year of ownership.

Quote:
Power window switch on the console actually requires same amount of body movement to get to. Its just a matter of getting used to and can be annoying is when you switch cars frequently
At times I actually like it. Say while approaching the toll, where I can roll down the window with my left hand - pay the toll - and get going. For other conventionally placed controls, one has move his hand back & forth, up & down to do the same.

Yes, switching between the Verna to the Sail does create some confusion. Luckily the headlamp and wiper stalks are at the usual placement.

Quote:
How does it compared to SX4, Etios etc. Perhaps your dad got used to the soft suspension of the Verna
Dad loves the Etios (When he calls for a cab)
But then, he likes it with his eyes closed. He hates the Etios interiors. (One reason why we did not consider it, and never will)

Used to the Verna suspension - Yes.
And that suspension tune is the definition of comfort now.
It wallows on highway, but keeps us happy inside the city.
Old 30th January 2014, 13:42   #53
BHPian

Hello,

A close friend of mine bought a Chevrolet Sail sedan recently in Bangalore and is totally unhappy with the product and its service. After multiple back and forths from the dealer he has decided to take legal action and he would like to know from fellow owners / experts if anyone else is facing this and what would be the right thing to do. Unfortunately he's not on team-bhp and I would like to take the liberty of posting his message on his behalf, here. Please excuse me if I'm not allowed to do so and I am okay for the post to be removed. In his words:

Hi Everyone,

My ‘disheartening’ ownership experience of the Chevrolet Sail LS ABS.(Diesel)
After much debate between the Swift Dezire, Honda Amaze and Chevrolet Sail in May 2013 i booked the Sail.
I received the delivery on 10th May. I noticed a few quality issues as shown in below images and informed the sales person about it, he said that I could drop by will be fixed.

Name:  11.png
Views: 2331
Size:  262.1 KB
Name:  12.png
Views: 2291
Size:  214.4 KB

But I did not give too much importance to it as they were minor issues.
After 2(first time warranty person was on leave and the next time the visit was on a Saturday, so they did not take the complaint) visits to the showroom (Kropex, Bangalore) they tell me that the gear knob cover was fine and damaged by user (Me) in such a short time. After a lot of arguing at the showroom, they promised to replace it.

After the first inspection service (@1500Kms) I had complained about a squeaking noise from the wind shield and left hand side door rattle.
I was told that the wiper cowl (black cover with drain holes for water exit on the wind shield) had to be replaced and that they did not have stock.
So I was told to come back again when the stocks arrive.
None of the two issues were resolved. But I was convinced with the solution and went on with my usual work and waited for their call.
After a few weeks, the gear shift became so hard that I could not down shift from 3 to 2. That morning I received my apartment car sticker as I was sticking it I noticed a gap in the panel on the dash board. My 5th visit within 2 months of ownership. They told me that the gear cable had to be replaced and replaced the same free cost and the new Wiper cowl had come and was also replaced. They told the gap will be addressed during my next service
However, the gear cover spare had not come to Kropex till then. The Customer relationship manager said that the PCR (Whatever it stood for) was raised and that i will be informed when the part arrives..
After 15 or 20 days I got a call stating that my car has been recalled and the ‘Crank Hub Bolt’ has to be replaced and it takes us 2 days to do the same. During this period the squeaking noise was back again , and after doing my first out station trip I realized the mileage was not good either(16kmpl on highway).

Name:  21.png
Views: 2243
Size:  271.2 KB

Issue present only on the Left hand side.

Name:  22.png
Views: 2274
Size:  229.5 KB

During the visit to the showroom the recall work was complete along with another wiper cowl replacement(2nd wiper cowl). Luckily the new gear knob cover had come. They tried their best to fix the gap issue but no change. My 6th visit to the showroom within 4 months of ownership .But they gave it after 5 days.(Against earlier stated 2 days).
I had by then covered 4500kms.
After a few days of clean running, I was pleased with the overall performance. Mileage of 14 in the city with AC. Good drive, no squeaking noise.
Exactly 1 month later, squeaking noise is back and a distinct sound from the front right wheel. Back to the showroom for the 7th time. The wiper cowl is replaced again ( They told me it is a new design and it has been tested and no problem reported). Tie rod had to be replaced and was done. I had driven 6100kms or so by then.
After 20 days i was shocked by the same squeaking noise. But my first service was due @7000kms. So I had intimated them about the issue with a call with the Zonal manager telling about the quality of the product and how often as a customer I am having to come to the service center. They told me to drop it for service and will handle the issue personally. The service engineer test drove and told me fitment error we’ll replace again. Wiper cowl was replaced for the 4th time.
The mileage increased to 16kmpl after the service as the air filter was cleaned and engine tuned. All happy with my issues solved, I set out for my first long drive to Tirupati. This was towards the end of November.
After 20 days the squeaking issue is back. Right hand side (Knock-knock) sound as the tyre runs is back. Around December 27th I went to the showroom. I was told to send a mail to the Zonal Manager stating my issues. I did the same. I have been following up with them and during the same I noticed yet another panel gap. It has just been a horrific experience.
Almost a month over, no response. I have called them, emailed them with photographs etc, No response. This is the slide I sent them:

Name:  31.png
Views: 2338
Size:  363.4 KB

Within 8 months i have gone to the showroom 9 times. The car has been with them for almost 15-18 days in for repairs, recall work etc. Downtime of 8%, pathetic by any standard. These issues are not being diagnosed the right way.

To top it all, every time I go to the showroom the service engineer tells me to fix Rat protection mesh, chassis undercoat, 3M polish makes me feel they don’t really understand what a customer feels to have a product that does not do what it is suppose to do.

With all the issues unsolved in 8months, my only worry now is the warranty ends in 4 months and that they will not even listen to me after that.
I strongly feel the product has not been road tested and before reaching design and manufacturing maturity the product was launched.

This I believe is unfair to launch a sub-standard product and intend to take legal action.

I request fellow team members to help me by suggesting what I should do next.
subramanyam84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 14:43   #54
BHPian

I never noticed any such things in my Sail, will have to look into it. Although the economy of the car is same as yours. I even went to the ASS and challenged it, but when we tested it with separte fuel gauge and pump, it showed the fig of 23.15 KMPL. Also the car was driven by me only and in various stretches in Gurgaon.
Old 31st January 2014, 15:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramanyam84 View Post
Hello,

A close friend of mine bought a Chevrolet Sail sedan recently in Bangalore and is totally unhappy with the product and its service. After multiple back and forths from the dealer he has decided to take legal action and he would like to know from fellow owners / experts if anyone else is facing this and what would be the right thing to do. Unfortunately he's not on team-bhp and I would like to take the liberty of posting his message on his behalf, here. Please excuse me if I'm not allowed to do so and I am okay for the post to be removed. In his words:
I was actively considering SAIL; such a pathetic experience deters any such move on my part now.
Old 7th February 2014, 23:14   #56

Hi subramanyam,

Your friend seems to have faced the thin end of the wedge so to speak ! My sympathies are with him. GM needs to sit up and take notice of such complaints. This is not what is expected of a company that parades the brand as one with heritage. This reminds of me the fiat - ambassador days when new cars used to leak in the rains. I think there is a limit to VFM. it is not a licence to peddle substandard stuff. Though I am a satisfied owner of a SAIL LS, such reports speak very poorly about the product and the manufacturers approach.
Wake up GM ! Before you become a nonentity in this market and give ghee jitters to hose who have bought this car.
Old 8th February 2014, 07:44   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk20 View Post
Wake up GM ! Before you become a nonentity in this market and give ghee jitters to hose who have bought this car.
I agree with you on that. This is not all. When complained initially, Kroppex Bangalore, the dealer, had the cheek to say "You're noticing too much for a Rs. 8 lac car"!
And coming to the design of the steering, they said the car has plastic link rods and that's the issue. They'll replace it with steel ones next time!
Now I'm not sure if he really meant it! But if it is true, launching a product with a non-validated steering design is outright dangerous.
Old 8th February 2014, 15:32   #58

Suggest your friend takes this up directly with GM. They seem to be serious about taking customer feedback frequently. Have answered two online surveys. I do hope these surveys dont end up as a must-do CRM initiative that means anything but customer service. As I told you my experience with the car and dealer (Trident) has been very good (fingers crossed) . So there must be a silver lining somewhere. All the best !
rk20 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks