Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 00:09   #46
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
Sorry Sharad I was out of town for a week. Shocking to hear about the theft. It happened inside the basement parking? I always thought those were safe. I do agree that its a headache to park these cars anywhere. Moreover after such incidents you will be scared to park it outside and keep worrying about it.
I had parked in the basement that close to the lifts and where there was some activity still it got stolen. Ill never park it on the road.

Quote:
But I would suggest that don't buy the original logo. Buy the ali express or ones from ebay. That will make you feel very relaxed in the future.
Remember I told you about the side mirror thefts? Do get them etched asap. I have even thought that if I ever lose the side mirrors I might use ones from ebay. as they cost less than 2k.
I have a Michelin tyre pressure gauge which I got from abroad.
there is also another one I got from reliance auto in Gurgaon for 50 -100 rs.

your car is not too old so you can get the bsi secure tyres besides you will not forfeit the ncb through the tyre changes. But then you can get the puncture again and then go through the whole process. As far as insurance claims are concerned id take them at the 1st instance as in expensive cars bill can run very high and if you don't take the insurance claim you feel bad later.
I d sugest you take the claim for the tyre if you find a puncture and the logo and get the whole hood painted again as will be probably done. doing that will also make you immune to future accidental jobs viz a viz ncb. Remember that this job will not be done again as future scratches might not be in the same position and the insurance company wont agree to it.

Installation of the reverse camera with the garmin gps as promised. Sorry for the delay as I had to take pictures and then resize them and upload them.
Not able to find any good ones on ebay and aliexpress have minimum order qty of 10-100 pcs. I am going for the original for time being.
Pls PM me the details of the guy who sends the sticker for glass etching and also post a pic of you etched mirror.
I'm still researching on portable compressor and TPMS. Need to go to lajpat nagar to close my purchase.
I already have secure and BSI plus which I got free. Bu thankfully, since the warning light has not shown up till now, I'm assuming it was a false alarm and hence no puncture. Also, if there is no break in insurance with the same service insurer, its not difficult to get the earlier scratches/damges also covered.
Many thanks for the Garmin plus Reverse Camera DIY.

It seems from the picture that you have removed the cover of the compartment where you have kept the screen. Also, how have you routed the power cable from inside? is it after opening the DASH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Sharad, for the scratch, if you have some good small denters in GGN, you can try them out. I had a scratch on my bonnet repaired by one such outfit in Bangalore. See post #72 in the link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ngalore-5.html
Ill request the BMW showrooms guy to do it as unlike white color where shade matching is much easier, I have an orange so any line in different shade will be even more prominent

Quote:
Its correct. Dont know the reason, but the recommended pressure for the stock tyre of X1 - 225 50 R17 is 32 front and 38 rear. I maintain 33/39 every 3 weeks.
I was told 31/38 by the dealer so I'm maintaining that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
@sharadmumbai
Can feel your pain regarding the logo same happened with my 320d,but rather than the thieves the guys at BMW showroom left a little scratch near the logo area while removing the remains of the stolen logo, these guys were seriously under equipped to handle such incidents, and had the audacity to pass comments like why would anyone steal a logo from a BMW it's not a rolls, this is like any other car :o . The logo costed around 3100 INR.
Workshop: Bird automotive, ggn
I can understand your pain as well. 3k for a logo is the cost of 10k km service in my fusion.

Quote:
The rear tyres of most cars have higher recommended pressures as they take the load of the luggage compartment as well as possibly 3 people in the rear. bmw X 1 has a rear mounted battery as well. Also being a rear wheel drive might make some difference though that im not sure about.
But I personally do not use so much pressure though I did at some point of time. The rft has a warning which says do not inflate above 40 psi. And if you even go past 36 you can be assured that running on a highway for more than an hour in winters and 15 mins during the summers on a 50 celcius road will take your pressure way above 40 especially in summers.And god help you if you go on the Yamuna expressway which is concrete. so basically you are putting too much pressure on the tyre. I keep it 32-33 and 35-36 in the rear. These pressures are probably meant for western countries where it barely goes above 25 C.
Are you sure about the 40 psi as I feel that the tyres are much stronger than that. Also, the BMWs made for India come under the hot climate package and the manufacturer is well aware about the high temperatures.
However, I also feel that 31 / 36 is sufficient in summers as well as ride will be much smoother

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 4th March 2014 at 00:11.
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 14:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
I had parked in the basement that close to the lifts and where there was some activity still it got stolen. Ill never park it on the road.

Not able to find any good ones on ebay and aliexpress have minimum order qty of 10-100 pcs. I am going for the original for time being.
Pls PM me the details of the guy who sends the sticker for glass etching and also post a pic of you etched mirror.
I'm still researching on portable compressor and TPMS. Need to go to lajpat nagar to close my purchase.
I already have secure and BSI plus which I got free. Bu thankfully, since the warning light has not shown up till now, I'm assuming it was a false alarm and hence no puncture. Also, if there is no break in insurance with the same service insurer, its not difficult to get the earlier scratches/damges also covered.
Many thanks for the Garmin plus Reverse Camera DIY.

It seems from the picture that you have removed the cover of the compartment where you have kept the screen. Also, how have you routed the power cable from inside? is it after opening the DASH.

Ill request the BMW showrooms guy to do it as unlike white color where shade matching is much easier, I have an orange so any line in different shade will be even more prominent

I was told 31/38 by the dealer so I'm maintaining that.

I can understand your pain as well. 3k for a logo is the cost of 10k km service in my fusion.

Are you sure about the 40 psi as I feel that the tyres are much stronger than that. Also, the BMWs made for India come under the hot climate package and the manufacturer is well aware about the high temperatures.
However, I also feel that 31 / 36 is sufficient in summers as well as ride will be much smoother
Yes the dash was opened to route the wire. It was done at the bmw where it went for repair.
Will post the number of etching person and pictures. not sure if I can pm as I am still new here.
The claim process has nothing to do with retaining same company as the person who inspects the car has nothing to do with sales or retaining insurance. So don't bank on them taking care of scratches on the other side. I had a tough time trying to get a small scratch fixed on the other side at the BMW workshop even though it was 1st year and secure.
Just get a small cycle pump which is very reliable than the electric pump. If you do go for an electric pump then go for a good one.These things are barely used one or 2 times a year and im not sure the electric one will work being used so sparingly. All my cars have manual pumps since more than 8-9 years and they all work good. Besides you will have to put the car on and then pump.
I think you will find the logo on ebay. I hope you are using the insurance for your logo. I would suggest you do so. The side mirrors cost 65k( yes not a typo and only for the inside mirrors not the whole assembly) so id suggest use insurance for any possible damage or theft.
Don't bank on the Indian conditions as they only have certain things india specific. 99% of the car is not. The tyre clearly says 40 psi is the limit. they use the same tyres as in Germany.

Last edited by sunny1974 : 4th March 2014 at 15:07.
sunny1974 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 22:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the dash was opened to route the wire. It was done at the bmw where it went for repair.
Will post the number of etching person and pictures. not sure if I can pm as I am still new here.
The claim process has nothing to do with retaining same company as the person who inspects the car has nothing to do with sales or retaining insurance. So don't bank on them taking care of scratches on the other side. I had a tough time trying to get a small scratch fixed on the other side at the BMW workshop even though it was 1st year and secure.
Just get a small cycle pump which is very reliable than the electric pump. If you do go for an electric pump then go for a good one.These things are barely used one or 2 times a year and im not sure the electric one will work being used so sparingly. All my cars have manual pumps since more than 8-9 years and they all work good. Besides you will have to put the car on and then pump.
I think you will find the logo on ebay. I hope you are using the insurance for your logo. I would suggest you do so. The side mirrors cost 65k( yes not a typo and only for the inside mirrors not the whole assembly) so id suggest use insurance for any possible damage or theft.
Don't bank on the Indian conditions as they only have certain things india specific. 99% of the car is not. The tyre clearly says 40 psi is the limit. they use the same tyres as in Germany.
I have send you a test pm. I think its open for you now.
I'll check out the manual pumps as well on my trip to Lajpat nagar.
I'm getting the logo from BMW itself as the ones online seem to fade away or wash away quickly.
I'm not going for insurance claim now as I'll lose the NCB and with the compulsory deductible, I will probably get only 500 bucks max.
Old 5th March 2014, 16:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely. I just picked up some transparent mats to prevent the beige ones from soiling. Any pics will be welcome.
You could try out those 3M Nomad mats.

Perfect, do a great job, and can be cut to any size as well.

Cheers!
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 14:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I'm happy to announce the newest member in my family: BMW X1 in Valencia Orange colour
Congrats on the X1! Looks super in that shade.

I am contemplating on buying the X1 too and was wondering is it really worth it to go in for the BSI package?
I mean how much could the service costs be?
I have been quoted approx. 2.5 lacs for the 3years/60,000kms BSI package.
Now since is will be serviced once a year, am I looking at a service cost of 80,000 bucks for each service or will it be lesser? If it is lesser I see no point in going for the BSI.
Can you please share your views?
Old 7th March 2014, 14:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Now since is will be serviced once a year, am I looking at a service cost of 80,000 bucks for each service or will it be lesser?
My X1 is maintained by my company for 4 years, so I have not taken BSI. However, I saw the bill for my first service in December and it was Rs 26000 which included oil change, air filter change and ac filter change. I think the utility of BSI comes when surprises come up by way of accidents, premature wear of parts etc. Lot of users swear by BSI, so I'm sure they have a reason why - predominantly knowing for a fact that their maintenance expenses are capped.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 15:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
My X1 is maintained by my company for 4 years, so I have not taken BSI. However, I saw the bill for my first service in December and it was Rs 26000 which included oil change, air filter change and ac filter change. I think the utility of BSI comes when surprises come up by way of accidents, premature wear of parts etc. Lot of users swear by BSI, so I'm sure they have a reason why - predominantly knowing for a fact that their maintenance expenses are capped.
Thanks for the information.
I guess I need to find out what exactly what is included in the BSI package.
The Sales Rep told me that washing, wheel alignment and wheel balancing are the only three things which are not included in the service package.
Old 7th March 2014, 17:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
You could try out those 3M Nomad mats.

Perfect, do a great job, and can be cut to any size as well.

Cheers!
If you have some time and patience, why dont you try the DIY I did on my Verna. Will be repeating for the X1 soon.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...loor-mats.html
Old 7th March 2014, 21:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have some time and patience, why dont you try the DIY I did on my Verna. Will be repeating for the X1 soon.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...loor-mats.html
Great DIY! I see your point! However, it must bee noted that time and money do not permit this, in many cases. (Do they ever? I wonder....)

But, does it offer the feel of the 3M Mats? I mean, 3M has spent quite an amount on R&D. So, methinks, merely a lookalike will not suffice.

Cheers!
Old 7th March 2014, 22:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Great DIY! I see your point! However, it must bee noted that time and money do not permit this, in many cases. (Do they ever? I wonder....)

But, does it offer the feel of the 3M Mats? I mean, 3M has spent quite an amount on R&D. So, methinks, merely a lookalike will not suffice.

Cheers!
Try it. Frankly, after doing this, I just cannot justify the premium 3M charges. I checked out both materials but personally I dont think its very different. Its been quite a while in the Verna and still feels good. Time and Money permits - Time 2 hrs, Money Rs 1200
Old 7th March 2014, 22:40   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I carefully checked 3M material for these mats and its not very different than the usual ones we get in the market. They are surely finished a little better but then the price difference is too huge to ignore. I actually saw these noodle mats also being sold by Elegant now. And they are pretty cheap. You can probably try those if you do not have time and patience for DIY.
Old 7th March 2014, 22:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:

I am contemplating on buying the X1 too and was wondering is it really worth it to go in for the BSI package?
Now since is will be serviced once a year, am I looking at a service cost of 80,000 bucks for each service or will it be lesser? If it is lesser I see no point in going for the BSI.

Quote:

Veedub99-To make your dilemma simpler, you should be getting the 40k km/3 year BSI plus free as this was the scheme in Jan. I got 60k km/3 year free.

Coming to the point, BSI means BMS Service Inclusive. So all the servicing costs, labour, consumables are covered till 3 years and all items which fail are under warranty for 2 years. You can pay around 9-10k to convert the BSI plus to BSI Ultimate to get additional warranty for the third year.
Also, the brake pad changes around 35-40k kms are also covered. That expense itself is close to 80k. Add 3 services of totalling approx 1L. So you will anyways shell out 1.8L assuming no other visits to the workshop. So I feel that its worth it to take it.
If you now combine the zero Dep insurance + BMW secure+ BSI Ultimate = Complete peace of mind and focusing on crunching as much miles as possible without any unknown factor

Also, 2.5L for 3 years 60k Km seems wrong. It should be around 2L- pls check and maybe 2.1 for Ultimate.

Best of Luck and hope to see your ownership thread soon.

Also: I have ordered 2 BMW hood logos from Ebay for total of around 750 bucks. I am expecting a cheap bit of plastic with a sticker which I'm going to throw away in the bin as soon as i get them. Ordered them to Just rationalize to myself that spending 3k on the original logo is the only choice I have!!!

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 7th March 2014 at 22:57.
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 08:29   #58
BHPian

Quote:

welcome to theX1 family. ITs an amazing truly versatile car as you will find out soon. Have owned it since more than 2 years now. Get the BSI ultimate 5 yrs if you drive a lot. Reason being as you drive it a lot the chances of parts failing increase. Also the Service cost increases as time increases. What I saw as the 1st year service cost last year was approximately 18-20000. Which now is 26000. But do remember BSI has specific service changes and that too according to the mileage or time based on the onboard computer.The service interval is condition based so approximately 18 months.Car wash, alignment balancing are not included. neither any other wear except the 6-7 things listed.sharad not only disc pads but also discs. Other small things being wiper blades. Besides these smart people will always give you more costly service if you are not covered. example a bsi service may cost you 25k instead of 20 under bsi. Bsi service after 1.5 year and normal after 1 year.Now comes the most important thing warranty. I feel 5 year bsi is a must if you want to keep the car as faliures are much likely going to occur after 4th year than in the 3rd. You should have negotiated the bsi plus etc during your buy as now it will always cost you more.2.5 lakhs looks ok as they increase the cost of it around 1-2 times a year. In 2011 it was 195000 in 2012 it became 205000 and in august 2012 it became 218000 or something.It will keep increasing as labour costs go up. you are basically paying around 50000 or potentially less extra for a 5 year warranty. The costs of the parts in these cars is amazingly huge. Imagine the pair of dimming side mirror(only the mirrors not the assembly) costs around 65000 Rs. The service costs are different for each service.1st one is around 25k. 2nd one increases and so on. The major one is disc pads and the disc itself as told before.Although the computer says 40-45000km it usually happens much earlier depending on the driving style.So good luck making your decision.
Old 8th March 2014, 09:20   #59
BHPian

Quote:
welcome to theX1 family. ITs an amazing truly versatile car as you will find out soon. Have owned it since more than 2 years now. Get the BSI ultimate 5 yrs if you drive a lot. Reason being as you drive it a lot the chances of parts failing increase. Also the Service cost increases as time increases. What I saw as the 1st year service cost last year was approximately 18-20000. Which now is 26000. But do remember BSI has specific service changes and that too according to the mileage or time based on the onboard computer.The service interval is condition based so approximately 18 months.Car wash, alignment balancing are not included. neither any other wear except the 6-7 things listed.sharad not only disc pads but also discs. Other small things being wiper blades. Besides these smart people will always give you more costly service if you are not covered. example a bsi service may cost you 25k instead of 20 under bsi. Bsi service after 1.5 year and normal after 1 year.Now comes the most important thing warranty. I feel 5 year bsi is a must if you want to keep the car as faliures are much likely going to occur after 4th year than in the 3rd. You should have negotiated the bsi plus etc during your buy as now it will always cost you more.2.5 lakhs looks ok as they increase the cost of it around 1-2 times a year. In 2011 it was 195000 in 2012 it became 205000 and in august 2012 it became 218000 or something.It will keep increasing as labour costs go up. you are basically paying around 50000 or potentially less extra for a 5 year warranty. The costs of the parts in these cars is amazingly huge. Imagine the pair of dimming side mirror(only the mirrors not the assembly) costs around 65000 Rs. The service costs are different for each service.1st one is around 25k. 2nd one increases and so on. The major one is disc pads and the disc itself as told before.Although the computer says 40-45000km it usually happens much earlier depending on the driving style.So good luck making your decision.
Totally agree with Sunny.
Its not necessary to buy the BSI at the time of car purchase and it can be bought anytime except for Ultimate if the warranty has expired.
But the catch is that its applicable from the date of purchase of vehicle. So if you buy the 3 year package after the end of 1st year, you will have only 2 years balance. So its advisable to buy it sooner than later and inflation proof it against any price rise as mentioned above

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 8th March 2014 at 09:38.
Old 8th March 2014, 12:37   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Veedub99-To make your dilemma simpler, you should be getting the 40k km/3 year BSI plus free as this was the scheme in Jan. I got 60k km/3 year free.
Quote:
welcome to theX1 family. ITs an amazing truly versatile car as you will find out soon.
Thanks a lot guys. These inputs coming from owners is simply invaluable.

Sunny1974, just to clarify i haven't actually bought the car yet. Still in the decision phase.
You are absolutely right about the service costs with and without BSI. The dealer will probably give a higher quote to the car without BSI.

I test drove the car yesterday and I must say it is simply superb. Let's see how the finance part of it works out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks