Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2015, 00:24   #76
BHPian

Re: The Baby Benz - My Mercedes B-Class

Hi all, I completed 20k so far. Car is doing fine so far. Went to Kerala few weeks ago. Had a nice run. Unfortunately not many pics taken with the car so unable to share any updates on the trip itself here. One thing I noticed on a feature on the wipers - even if the wipers are put at full speed, if the car is not moving - the speed automatically gets to the slowest mode. I always wanted that to happen in my earlier car - where the wiper doesn't start to squeak with not much water falling. But if the rain is pouring it does continue at the full speed.

Had a puncture a month ago (in the city) but the tire pressure sensor didn't warn me. Probably the puncture happened when I was nearing my home and so the sensor didn't have much time for it to kick in I guess. Anyway it was a Friday evening when I parked my car and when I went to the car on Sunday afternoon I saw it was FLAT. Please don't ask me what I did on Saturday - I had a long nap (catch up on all pending sleep - for example I am up now at 12:20am )

Well, so far so good on the experience.

Btw, did anyone try and see if the headlamp of the new CLS can be put on this B-Class? It has some neat features like auto dimming high beam, preemptive cornering lamps etc.
Old 18th February 2016, 22:42   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Little bit of rotten luck today

The car went into a pothole at about 50km/h and the tyre sidewall now has a bulge in it.
I am not sure if I should replace the tyre. Any suggestions from the forum?
Is the damage that bad to need a replacement?
Hey,

I m contemplating on an used B180 CDI 2013 done 20k on the odo. One of the cars (of 2 available) I saw had a similar bulge on both rear tyres which needs to be replaced.

I m curious to find out what could be the trigger action to cause such a bulge. I believe its not an uncommon phenomenon on the B class.

Have you managed to get any reasoning from Mercedes for this pattern with pre 2015 facelift B Class'??

Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 11:32   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath14 View Post
I m curious to find out what could be the trigger action to cause such a bulge. I believe its not an uncommon phenomenon on the B class.
The usual culprit for bulges in low profile tires is underinflation. Overloading also could be a cause. That is why many manufacturers specify tire pressures depending on the load that is being carried as well as average speed. Lower profile tires are very sensitive to the non-maintenance of correct air pressure.

Due to the lower profile, the ride becomes somewhat harsh and to compensate, owners (and sometimes the dealer) will resort to underinflating the tires. Tire does not get adequate support and in our road conditions the inner steel belts snap causing the bulge in the tire.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:40   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Hey,

I m contemplating on an used B180 CDI 2013 done 20k on the odo. One of the cars (of 2 available) I saw had a similar bulge on both rear tyres which needs to be replaced.

Have you managed to get any reasoning from Mercedes for this pattern with pre 2015 facelift B Class'??

Thanks
I guess your query has been sufficiently answered already.
It has got nothing to do with the pre-facelift model. Blame it on our roads!

There are two fixes for this problem. One is to replace the tyre with a new one or get the inner wall fixed with a strip of some sort. The latter isn't recommended however but I took my chances with it. No issues thus far. Factor in the cost of replacing those tyres if you want to buy the car. Also are these TD vehicles? TD vehicles go through a lot of abuse and should ignore the low running of 20K.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:13   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
I guess your query has been sufficiently answered already.
It has got nothing to do with the pre-facelift model. Blame it on our roads!

There are two fixes for this problem. One is to replace the tyre with a new one or get the inner wall fixed with a strip of some sort. The latter isn't recommended however but I took my chances with it. No issues thus far. Factor in the cost of replacing those tyres if you want to buy the car. Also are these TD vehicles? TD vehicles go through a lot of abuse and should ignore the low running of 20K.
If I decide on the pre-owned B Class, it would come with new tyres, serviced and certified by the Merc dealer.

These aren't TD vehicles to the best of my knowledge, but I will reconfirm with them. Thanks for that!

However, I drove the Creta AT today and found it to be satisfactory. Of course its not in the league of ZF/S tronic/ Multitronic->(maybe), that I m familiar with, and could have been a lakh cheaper but I cannot think of an alternate at that price range. I have chosen to ignore the XUV AT.

How would you rate the B Class as a self-driven city car? I have driven the CLA and found it to be on the heavier side. The B I think has lesser horses with the same transmission.
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:52   #81
BHPian

Quote:
If I decide on the pre-owned B Class, it would come with new tyres, serviced and certified by the Merc dealer.

These aren't TD vehicles to the best of my knowledge, but I will reconfirm with them. Thanks for that!

However, I drove the Creta AT today and found it to be satisfactory. Of course its not in the league of ZF/S tronic/ Multitronic->(maybe), that I m familiar with, and could have been a lakh cheaper but I cannot think of an alternate at that price range. I have chosen to ignore the XUV AT.

How would you rate the B Class as a self-driven city car? I have driven the CLA and found it to be on the heavier side. The B I think has lesser horses with the same transmission.
The pre-facelift B that you are looking at makes only 103 horses and the transmission is the same. So not the fastest out there. However in the city that doesn't really matter. As a self driven car you will have no issues at all. The semi-large boot makes the car very practical as well. The visibility is good and makes the car easier to park and manoeuvre in traffic. If you want to have a spirited drive just shift it into the Sports mode. The CLA is less practical but looks better.
Out on the highway however, this car is extremely comfortable to drive. It really is a luxury tourer as Merc used to call it earlier.
Old 23rd February 2016, 16:00   #82
BHPian

Good to know you are happy with the car. I think it should serve my purpose.
Nevertheless, I may just play it safe and get a new Creta AT.

Happy motoring!
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:43   #83
BHPian

Have run 26500 kms on my B180. So far so good. Post my encounter with a big puddle of water the plastic that covers front wheel well seems to jut out a bit. Don't remember how it was earlier but no mechanical issues. Only a small eye-catching anomaly. Consistent 4.5 to 4.8 L/100 km efficiency.
Old 13th February 2017, 22:17   #84
BHPian

Hai @srinih75, I am contemplating taking a 2012 model B180 Petrol model. Any advice on this would be helpful. It has done about 26k km and came in as a trade in at a local Mercedes dealership.
One concern I have is the ground clearance.
Regards
Old 19th March 2017, 20:38   #85
BHPian

hi thealtoman, sorry it has been a while since I logged into Teambhp or any other social media piece that I have connections to as my work was really hectic for couple of quarters now. For the question on should you go for the B180 - I will say it depends on what you are looking for. A daily use wagon with loads of practicality with that dash of luxury is what B180 can offer you. The low clearance isn't a problem as in Kochi I don't think it would be an issue at all - I have driven up to Lulu mall, not beyond that so unable to comment on how bad the roads may be there. I have driven the car in Aluva and even to my dad's village Koovappadi. It could handle itself very well. But 2012 was I think the original version that had the 17" wheels which may have a bit lower clearance than my 2014 CDI 16" wheel version. Petrol I hear doesn't have very great fuel mileage compared to the diesel one. I get over 20+ on any routine highway trip. In the city traffic at Aluva I get about 15, at Bangalore I get about 10. Petrol I think it would be very low. For a five year of car please check few things like how the suspension and wheel balancing is. I had to change my suspension as it started rattling at about 40k kms. It got covered under warranty so I was fine. Else it will set you back at 25k a piece. Ask the deal if all the various periodic services were done as per schedule. The biggest issue would be poorly maintained engine if it gives you a breakdown stop it will set you on a high cost repair journey. If the car has good maintenance records and you don't see any major wear and tear on the inside (seats, electric controls, etc) I think it will be a great value as 2012 like my 2014 is a CBU and it should last for 15+ years. Hope this helps you and good luck.
Old 27th August 2017, 09:19   #86
BHPian

After 43k of run wanted to give an update here that had to replace left rear shocks as it was rattling. Got it covered under warranty. So far so good. Have come to Goa this weekend. The car is wide and yet narrow enough to manage most of the by lanes of Goa and the ghat section roads to here. Enjoying the car every bit.
Old 4th October 2017, 15:35   #87
BHPian

The baby Benz has new shoes!

So the OEM Yokohamas for utter nonsense. One had a bulge and two had uneven wear.
I decided to swap all 4 tyres today. I chose Vredestien over Michelin Primacy 3 ST.
Maintained the stock tyre size of 205/55 R16.

What is this Vredestien you ask?
Well it's a Dutch manufacturer now owned by our very own Apollo.
I have used this same spec and make on my Jetta as well and I came out mighty impressed. The tyres are very resilient to punctures. I found them on the quieter side as well. The wear on the tyres was also pretty minimal which points towards a long life.

Cost per tyre was Rs. 8560/- inclusive of taxes.

Initial impressions are again impressive. Seems like a huge step up from the OE Yokos.
Will give more updates in due course.
veedub89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 08:23   #88
BHPian

Thanks for the update veedub89. Meanwhile one auto wala dashed me last weekend and now have the first claim to be done on mine. Need to get it fixed this week.

During Ganesh festival went to Goa and returned. Later to my home town in Kerala. Pleasant drives and no so tired wife and kids in all these 10+ hour trips.
Attached Thumbnails
The Baby Benz - My Mercedes B-Class-1508208699680.jpg  

Old 17th October 2017, 13:03   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need to get it fixed this week.
Try getting this rubbed, look for directory/ suggestions for some good painter in your city on other threads, little damages maybe left but I will suggest keeping that way instead of getting everything open and losing NCB on Insurance.
Old 17th October 2017, 14:13   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
Thanks for the update veedub89. Meanwhile one auto wala dashed me last weekend and now have the first claim to be done on mine. Need to get it fixed this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Try getting this rubbed, look for directory/ suggestions for some good painter in your city on other threads, little damages maybe left but I will suggest keeping that way instead of getting everything open and losing NCB on Insurance.
First thing: simply wiping with IPA will get most of the paint from the auto off. This will make the damage a lot less obvious and ugly. Then you can be a little more relaxed about when you spend the money to restore your car to pristine condition.

How you go about that depends on a combination of affordability and reasonability. It is so easy just to drop the car and the dealer/service and pick it up looking [hopefully] perfect. But, maybe they will fix/paint it, maybe they will start talking about replacing the bumper. Turbanator's idea may be cheaper.

The thing about dealer paintwork is that they will use exactly the right paint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks