Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2014, 11:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea

I know I know even I was surprised at our decision to buy a Automatic hatch after selling a 120bhp behemoth. But life sure has ways to surprise everyone.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-keyless_ltd.jpg

So here I am once again penning down an ownership story of our new Korean companion. Most of you would remember my ownership thread on probably the best made car from the Tata stables “Tata Manza:: The Story Continues::” Well that story has just about been 2.5 years, unlike Ekta Kapoor serials that story has come to an end in this month of May.

I really loved the Manza for what it offered at a mouth watering price of 7.65 Lakhs back then in 2011. So let me dedicate a small section as a tribute to this workhorse.

Tata Manza :: Story Ends
The smiley grill will look in your face and urge you to hug it but one look at those sharp twin barrel eyes and you will realize this is a sleeping giant. We just loved our Manza so much that we also had a name ranging from Toothless to White Whale. But whatever you call it, it did serve our purpose really well all these years. It has taken to places even the Manza engineers could not have imagined while making this car, it was also the car which got home our first child in sofa like environment through its soft suspensions. Even now she tends to doze off in the car. So with so many memories its been a very sad moment to let the whale go. Let me see if I can write a small story here.

The Story Begins after a few initial hiccups

The first trip of the Manza which takes us to Goa along with my parents who were later sold out on the car

Got it self new voice

It took us to Mysore during the new years eve

Had a brain surgery to get it remapped to 120 horses, now the whale actualy flies instead of swim

A quick fire lunch run to Yercaud

It then took us to and back on the mother of all trips to LADAKH. An 8000 kms trip without a hitch

In the interim it has taken us to Ooty around 3 times and Coonoor 1 time.

Prologue:

We were happy with our Manza or “The White Whale” as we fondly call it and there was no new car buying discussions or even a thought. However, our life started to change little by little after our baby Anika came in last year June. We built a new house for her (no more small rented spaces), we were ready to shower anything on her and her needs. But as the days went by we began to feel the strain of having to carry her everywhere for all our errands and it was tough to do that in all the situations. So my wife wanted to start driving, she tried her hands with the “Whale” but somehow it did not click and she wanted an automatic car. Well with the already soaring expenses it was not prudent for us to get a 2nd car so with a heavy heart we decided to part ways with the Manza and get an automatic hatchback.

Checklist:

As usual we prepared a checklist to make it easy to decide which car to buy. Below are some of the main criteria.

1. Automatic (No compromises on this)
2. A hatch (to make parking easier for wife)
3. The budget of 7Lakhs
4. Comfortable ride (to carry the baby in relative comfort)
5. Seat height wherein wife should be comfortably seated yet able to see well

The Search:

Well to be honest in the budget that we had decided the search was pretty easy and straight forward. There were the only two cars that fit the bill and the above checklist.

a) Maruti Suzuki Celerio AMT
b) Hyundai Grand AT

Test Drives:

Well the test drives were pretty one sided as wife still did not know how to drive to so I had to test the car and make a decision for her if she will be comfortable driving it.

Maruti Celerio AMT

This was a new kid in the block and being a semi manual we knew mileage would be quite good. Though mileage was never a criteria considering the very low running the car would see in a month. Still it was good to know that we could save some money.

So we went to our nearest dealer for Maruti, Pratham Motors in HSR Layout. It is a small showroom but from the outside we did see that they had a Celerio displayed. However, once we went in, the display car was in fact a manual one. Still we did have a look and liked it. The boot space was a special mention as it could hold a pram and a car seat for the baby. The quality of plastics was on the lower grade side but it was not a deterrent. What really was a detterent and which ultimately led to choosing us the Hyundai was the high waiting period for the AMT Vxi.

When the SA said 8 months waiting if we book today, my jaw almost dropped. I just laughed at his face and told him we are in the 21st Century where a car should be readily available. Anyhow, they did not have a test drive vehicle so we went back home dejected.

In the coming week I called up various Maruti dealers in Bangalore, namely, Bimal, Mandovi, Kalyani, Sagar asking for the test drive of the Celerio, except for Kalyani the other dealers behavior was pretty lackadaisical. They would say they will call back in 30 mins or 2 hours but those callbacks have never come even to this date. I guess it stemmed from the fact that Maruti is pretty happy having such a high waiting list. So to cut the chase, I did get a test drive from Kalyani. The car that came that day was pretty dirty but the drive was good. Except for a few misses which I highlighted in the Celerio First Drive report here it was pretty good.

Hyundai Grand AT

Next we called up Hyundai and asked for the test drive of the AT Grand. They were pretty prompt in their response and they came home with the Asta variant in Golden Orange color. After having driven the Celerio I had some base experience to score the Hyundai, however, as soon as I sat inside the Grand, I felt like I am sitting inside the Verna. Though the interiors are different but the number of gizmos, grade of plastic, fit and finish was just too good. Now the Celerio felt like a Maruti 800 of the 20th century rather than a 21st century car.

This time for the test drive even my wife along with her mother were present. This was purposefully done to see how comfortable everyone would be seated when the car is loaded. But to Hyundai’s credit the car did not bat an eyelid and was merrily pottering around HSR layout. Even with a/c there was not evident lack of power and throttle input was instant. The ride quality was above average, though not in the league of our Manza but the Grand did not have the vomit inducing rocking motion of the Manza.

The Twist:

After the Hyundai test drive we were now confused, we liked the Maruti but logically the Grand was offering more features that too within our budget. But the Celerio had high waiting times. So in a desperate attempt to see if a Celerio AMT can be procured fast than 8 months, we checked with a dealer in our home state i.e. Assam through a friends connection. Surprisingly, the person there said if we are ready to cough up the entire ex-showroom price of the car then he can get us the Celerio within a month. Hearing this we were overjoyed but that was pretty short lived as after a few calculations and the hassle of registering out of state new car in KA, we realized all that effort would be a headache.

So after several attempts to coax Maruti dealers here in Bangalore to get us the car early, we gave up the chase and decided on buying the Grand AT in Sportz variant.

Last edited by motomaverick : 17th June 2014 at 10:38.
motomaverick is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 10:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Grand i10 AT

Dealer Experience

I had my doubts when it came to experience with dealers after what I had to face with Tata 3 years back. But I was pleasantly surprised right from the time they arranged for the test drive to the time I drove out with the new car, the experience was Good. It was anything Wow mainly because they at one of time when I was arranging for the funds were threatening that I make the payment fast as the prices will increase soon. Apart from that coaxing the overall experience was surprisingly good.

27th May:
Made the nominal booking amount of 5000 INR so that they try to invoice it in May and I can get the vehicle by 15th of June. Another surprise was that after couple of days I got a message saying my vehicle is ready at the factory.

In the meantime I was still trying to haggle to sell the Manza whose price was falling steeply than the initial amount that I was expecting. Nonetheless finally I was able to nail down on a deal and by 9th June I was able to get all the finance in place.

9th June:
I opted to go with HDFC from outside the showroom and it was a blessing in disguise as I was able to get the funding for the on road pricing as well as a interest rate of 10.75%, which incidently is same as what I got 3 years back. Plus I was also able to get the zero depreciation bumper to bumper insurance quote for 18000 as against the showroom quote of 21000. Thankfully the agent handling my loan application is very good with juggads and he was able to get me all these deals. But still I could not take the delivery as I had to close my previous loan before this new one could be disbruised.

12th June:
My bank agent did his magic once again and was able to get the new loan amount disbruised without needing to close the ealier loan and I could theoritically get my vehcile on Friday the 13th (incidently its an auspicious day in Hindu calendar).

However, somehow 13th was not the date I could bring the car home as the RTO formalities would not be completed in time, so I opted to wait it out till 16th June.

Delivery 16th June
Yesterday we finally brought home the Korean Oranje, yeah I think I will call it "Oranje". The final formalities was done briskly. Though I could not do a detailed check on the car before registration but did the PDI quickly, all was well with the car, no misuse and the chassis number clearly suggested its a May 2014 manufactured. The Odo was reading 23 kms, which is fair enough since Advaiths stockyard is somewhere near Rajarajeshwari nagar.

Quote:
Funny Incident
While I was doing the PDI, I knealt down near the tires and was trying the see the date of manufacture, the SA thought I was seeing which company and pressure and was informing me that it was tubeless and need 33 PSI pressure. I smiled and told him I know that was checking the date of manufacture, to which he replied he has not seen anyone check that on a new car.
Photos clicked, final documents signed, gifted the SA a Rajasthani decorated pen as a token of appreciation and we were off from the showroom.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-taking-keys.jpg

The dealer had given a minuscule 5 liters of petrol so went to the nearest bunk to fill up the tank. Big mistake as I was haggled to take some Petro card and to fill nitrogen etc etc, all this seeing the new car. Lesson learnt for future purchases, never fill up close to the showroom.

So at the time of writing this ownership, the vehicle has not been driven more than 100 kms so its just the buying experience that I have shared.

Initial Impression:
a. To be honest with everyone, the drive is uninspiring, and its more pronounced coming after having driven the Manza. The car takes its own sweet time to accelerate after the initial 1st gear, though it gains speed but its nothing fancy. I really miss the turbo kick of the Manza.

b. Steering is light and weighs up well with speed

c. Being a hatch I felt the other vehicles becoming more impatient in traffic, did not hear them honk when in the Manza

d. All the Gizmo's in the Sportz variant are pretty nifty and useful. Still have to come to terms with the keyless locking part.

e. Auto locking of the doors at speed is absent and I have probably forgotten to lock the doors on 3 instances. Its alarming as we also have kid riding with us. Planning to write to Hyundai to see if they can do something. I am sure its just a tweak in the ECU mapping or that auto lock feature turned off.

f. No engine sump guard, not even a plastic one. Plan to write to Hyundai about the same so I can fix one in the 1st service.

g. All in all the car I feel is perfect for my wife to drive around without any hassle, which actually was the sole reason to buy it. So it fits the bill to the T.

Cost Breakup

Ex-showroom: Rs. 5,76,000
RTO: Rs. 89,446
Insurance: Rs. 18,000
Handling: Rs. 6,000
Accessories: Rs. 3,000
===================
On Road: Rs. 6,92,446
===================

So thats about it for now from my side. Rest assured will be sharing more details with proper pictures very soon.

Last edited by motomaverick : 17th June 2014 at 10:23.
motomaverick is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 11:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Grand i10 AT

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-grandi10logo.jpg

So here goes a small review after a month and 600kms with the car. I will try to cover some of the features from my point of view.

600 kms over although in a very slow manner
Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-speedo-600-kms.jpg

For a more generic review please check the Official Review Here. I will try to cover most of my points with pictures so that it’s not boring to read.

EXTERIORS
  1. The car looks really good from the outside, the front straight on (aided by the large hexagonal radiator) is one of the best shots you can get as well as rear 3 quarters. Check the pictures below to know what I am speaking.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-hyundaioranje3.jpg

2. If we look straight on from the back, the car does seem to be narrow but that does not compromise on the interior space (more on that later).

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-hyundaioranje1.jpg

3. The Golden Orange color is really striking and being metallic the shade changes slightly under sun or shade. Seen below is a picture where one side is under the sun and the other in the shade.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-externalsunandshade.jpg

4. The plastic running side board adds relief to the side profile but will require some amount of maintenance as it will tend to become dull. Here you can see it shining because of the recent 3M treatment.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-runningboard.jpg

5. Chrome surrounds on the fog light actually looks nice. It would have been good if the DRL lights from the UK i10 was carried here in India, they actually fit in an upside down "L" recess around the fog light. Any pointers if we can import those DRLs. Left is the close up of the fog lamp and right is the UK i10.

6. The overhangs at the front and the rear are not so pronounced so even if you are not careful on a ramp it will not scrape.

7. The wing mirrors are pretty good, as you can see from the picture below they offer a good field of view. The only point I noticed is that since they are pretty wide I need to be careful when driving on narrow roads. The right side was hit on one occasion and folded by the impact but no damage whatsoever. Definitely proves the quality of paint is top notch. In the 2nd picture you see the area where it was hit but absolutely nothing to show, yes that’s a 3M PPF

8. To safe guard the things you put in the boot, Hyundai has been thoughtful enough to provide the cover over it.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-coverfortheboot.jpg

9. A short and power radio antenna has been provided that is fixed towards the rear part of the roof. It looks classy as well and would not hamper with any low ceiling parking lots.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-roofantenna.jpg

INTERIORS
  1. As soon as you step inside the car you will notice the engine start stop button, it is always illuminated.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-enginestartstopbutton.jpg

2. Same goes for the gear shifter, pictures below though at night is the AT gear box.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-gearbox.jpg

3. It sometimes happen that designers spend so much time and effort on the exterior that the interiors are neglected but not so in the Grand. As you can see from the wide shot below the car offers good space. The overall theme is black which is good as it’s easier to maintain than the Vanilla color of the Manza.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-interior_all.jpg

4. The front dashboard is at a perfect height wherein for person of my height (5'7") without any height adjustment can see the front without an issue.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-driver-view-front.jpg

5. As pointed out in the official review the car is loaded for the price that one pays. Though for the AT we paid at the minimum 60K more than a manual Sportz, the gizmos more than makes up for the price. One such nifty gizmo or feature is the electric wing mirrors that can be folded from inside and auto folds when the car is locked. Have a look at the video.

6. The Sportz variant also comes with a steering tilt adjustment as can be seen from the picture.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-steering-tilt-adjustment.jpg

7. The central console is plain and simple and houses the music system & manual a/c. One note on the music system ( you can also hear it in the video), I found that the OEM system is quite good. After some adjustments to the bass, treble, and midrange. The output is quite good. Though I miss the thump of the bass and the stage is somewhere near my knees, it’s still not bad as what Tata had provided.

8. First in class rear a/c vents. These are just blowers which can be turned on and off as required. The a/c itself is quite a chiller and after the initial 10 mins of drive I have usually ended up at 1. Maybe because it’s new but even then it’s quite good. The dials of the a/c are top notch and feel premium. I have somehow always got confused with these dials as only the outer circumference moves.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-ac-controls.jpg

9. The power window, door locks, wing mirror adjustment are all provided on the driver side. The only ergonomic mistake I saw was the position of the power window switches, they are a tad lower than where your hands will usually end up. I have ended look at the switches to operate the correct ones.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-driver-side-swtiches.jpg

Ergonomic mistake
    Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-ergonomic-mistake-switches.jpg

10. The internal mirror is day & night enabled and does help to provide a reasonable rear view. However, when parking its best to rely on the sensors and outer wing mirrors as the C pillar blocks its view.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-internal-rearview-mirror.jpg

11. One of most shocking omissions from Hyundai is disabling the auto lock feature. I mean a company like Tata gives this feature so how they missed it, it’s really alarming. I have in fact written to Hyundai to see if they can enable this feature from the ECU. If yes then I am sure the service center can fix that from the port.

12. Other than the above miss, the only other black sheep in the entire package is the headlamp adjusting knob, the picture below may not tell you the quality but it’s pretty flimsy, I feel it will start rolling on its own over time.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-headlight_adjustment.jpg

13. This variant of the car does not have steering controls but they have provided trip switches on the steering. This is an interesting application as it avoids the hideous looking stalks on the speedo console.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-tripadjustmentonsteering.jpg
RIDE & HANDLING

Here are some of my observations on the ride and handling of this car
  • Ride : The car rides on somewhat stiffer suspension as compared to the Manza, so the bumps of the road can be felt. This is more pronounced in the back where I have had passengers complaining that I am not slowing down on speed bumps in this car. In fact I was taking the speed bumps at more or less the same speed as the Manza, so definitely the softer suspension of the Tata aided in the passengers not feeling those jolts. However, since the interiors have been well bolted together over bad roads such as kucha ones there are no rattles and ride is pretty plaint.

With a fully loaded car these jolts are less felt. Aided by the stiffer setup even with full load the car will not scrape over bad roads.

• Handling : Ofcourse this car is not a corner carver but it’s much better in the handling department than some of the same cars in its segment. It can be flicked easily aided by the EPS steering in slow traffic without any drama as well as thrown around in the corners of Nandi Hills without an issue. Over wavy roads the car does bounce a little but it’s not as pronounced as say the Manza that used to dance like crazy. With the gear engaged in manual mode, it’s fun to drive this car uphill.
  • Braking : The brakes on this car are pretty sharp. In fact I feel they have a weird way of working. For example, you are going at 30kph and need to slow down to stop and apply the brakes, the car will slow fine but towards the end the brakes will sharply engage and you tend to stop with a jerk. This is more pronounced in stop and go traffic where even slightest of pressures will induce a sharp jerk, in a way it’s good to have sharp brakes but sometimes it’s annoying. May be this feeling stems after having driven the Manza.

PERFORMANCE

The performance if this car is nothing to write home about. Even though it might have an 80 bhp Kappa 2 engine under the hood, the torque converter transmission is a big letdown. Yes, from standstill to say about 80kph you can zoom ahead without any issues but beyond that and during roll on speeds, it’s pretty bad. How bad is it, you ask? Well, take this scenario of a 2 lane highway and you are approaching a slow moving vehicle, you slow down a little and then you need to accelerate to overtake, well the car will think for 3-4 secs before realizing what is happening and move forward, in that time you might lose the opportunity to overtake. Now this happens in the “D” mode, however, even if you are in manual mode the scenario does not improve drastically, since the transmission is only 4 gears the car feels strained when pushed upwards of 4000 rpm and you are forced to change gears.

Yes, I do agree I still need to know how to drive an automatic but even then, a 5th cog would have helped during those highway runs.

If you ask me to sum it up in one sentence, I would say “This car is the best medium to carry people from Point A to B inside the city, don’t expect anything other than that.”

SMALLER YET SIGNIFICANT THINGS FOUND OVER THE MONTH
  • In traffic signals if you have to switch off the engine but still listen to music, then shift to “N” i.e. Neutral and apply the hand brake. In this mode even if you kill the engine, the electrical don’t turn off and music plays uninterrupted.
  • With the orange color you will observe people on the road giving you a 2nd glance
  • The bag hooks in the boot is a welcome addition and has helped us in two occasions to carry things upright. Even the thoughtful addition of boot light is a nice touch
  • The convenience of automatic transmission makes you fall in love with the traffic scenario once again and not hate it.
  • Zero effect of a/c on the engine power is a boon as the car does not struggle in normal everyday drive.
  • Felt lining around the front seats is another nice touch as it makes the car look neater and hides the seat mechanicals nicely.
  • The one touchdown window operation is another good addition by Hyundai, its convenience is felt when you are at a toll booth or entering a mall.
  • The sensor based boot release from outside is a good feature with many funny incidents happening at malls. The security guards always end up asking be twice to open the boot. I always end up telling them go ahead and open, I guess they do not see me bending down to use the boot lever.
  • The cooled glove box is another useful feature that we have used more than once, we have carried ice-creams and chocolates in the glove box with the a/c preventing them from melting.
  • The keyless feature is another creature comfort that is useful as I hardly have to take the key out of my pockets. The only downside is when I have to get out of the car but the occupants want to stay back, I need to keep the key in the car for the electrical to function.

A new always requires a new set of stickers from team-bhp and here is the Oranje with the LTD sticker

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-backsidewithltdsticker.jpg

MILEAGE

Ok, so coming onto to the all important question especially so for a AT "Kitna Dayti Hai"?

Well for me the first tankful I got was around 8kpl, whereas for the last one it has increased to 10kpl, I am not hoping for more than 11kpl at the most in city. I am trying to dig deep as to why an AT with the same engine configuration gives less, so planning to drive in manual mode in the next fill of some 500 bucks and see the mileage. One theory I have is that the AT box shifts down to 1 more often than a human would and hence the overall gear changes increases, this causes less mileage.

If you ask me am I satisfied with the purchase? well Yes! I am since it ticked all boxes and serves our purpose really well.

So feel free to browse this thread as I will be updating it from time to time. Till the next update annyeonghi gaseyo (goodbye)

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th July 2014 at 14:24. Reason: Removing some extra space. Nice formatting :)
motomaverick is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 14:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line section. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 16:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Grand i10 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
. I am trying to dig deep as to why an AT with the same engine configuration gives less, so planning to drive in manual mode in the next fill of some 500 bucks and see the mileage. One theory I have is that the AT box shifts down to 1 more often than a human would and hence the overall gear changes increases, this causes less mileage.
I had Honda City AT which came with manual mode. In a bid to extract more FE, I used to drive it almost in manual mode. But it did not make too much difference. May be I got 0.2 to 0.3 kmpl more . Reason is, even when you drive in manual mode, the TC is still at work which saps the energy. AT cars are also heavier by 30-40 kgs.
Old 18th July 2014, 23:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent and a very detailed thread. Honestly if anyone asks me these days for a well rounded family hatch, my answer is just go for Grand i10. It is an excellent product from Hyundai and the feature list is just mouth watering. I have always wandered what kind of profit margins does Hyundai have on each of its cars given that they generally provide a much more luxurious interior quality and the feature list is always class leading and yet they manage to price there cars quite competitively. The only grudge with the grand i10 is the lack of safety features even as an option in the lesser variants. One is forced to only consider the Asta O but then some genius decided not to offer that with an AT box.

Wishing you many happy miles with your car.
Old 19th July 2014, 08:46   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. I became a proud owner of a Gi10 almost 3 months ago. It's a great vfm car. I have driven a friend's 2012 i10 Auto extensively. (Same engine+ gearbox combo) The convenience it offers is superb. Enjoy your new car. Drive Safe

Quote:
In traffic signals if you have to switch off the engine but still listen to music, then shift to “N” i.e. Neutral and apply the hand brake. In this mode even if you kill the engine, the electrical don’t turn off and music plays uninterrupted.
I had mentioned this as an annoying oversight in my ownership thread, to have the music stop for a few seconds if you want to kill the engine at a light and restart in acc.
Well, I tried it in my car. I think this feature is exclusive to the automatic variant.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:20   #8
BHPian

Congratulations motomaverick on your new buy. I used to follow your manza thread very closely esp. the remap etc. Sad that you had to part with it. Buying an automatic is a very sensible decision considering the ever increasing traffic conditions. Wishing you many miles of happy and ownership.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new oranjee. I really like this color on the Gi10.
One question - did you ask or have you received any response to the question of what happens if the start/stop switch fails for any reason? any way to manually crank start?
Old 19th July 2014, 12:52   #10
BHPian

@ motomaverick, Congratulations on acquisition of most wonderful hatch offering good fit and finish with all the feature rich bells & whistles.

You have perfectly penned down your whole experience from Leh'd White Whale to acquisition of Oranje. How much did your Manza fetched you ?

Your baby Anika came in last year June so it was perfect first birthday gift to your daughter

Enjoy your ride and drive safe
Old 19th July 2014, 12:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I had Honda City AT which came with manual mode. In a bid to extract more FE, I used to drive it almost in manual mode. But it did not make too much difference. May be I got 0.2 to 0.3 kmpl more . Reason is, even when you drive in manual mode, the TC is still at work which saps the energy. AT cars are also heavier by 30-40 kgs.
I think you are right, even if driven in manual mode the ECU still lowers the gear if the rpm falls below a certain level to keep the car from stalling, so we end up changing the gears the same amount of times as in D mode. Well back to the drawing board to see how to get this AT to extract class leading mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Excellent and a very detailed thread. Honestly if anyone asks me these days for a well rounded family hatch, my answer is just go for Grand i10. It is an excellent product from Hyundai and the feature list is just mouth watering. I have always wandered what kind of profit margins does Hyundai have on each of its cars given that they generally provide a much more luxurious interior quality and the feature list is always class leading and yet they manage to price there cars quite competitively. The only grudge with the grand i10 is the lack of safety features even as an option in the lesser variants. One is forced to only consider the Asta O but then some genius decided not to offer that with an AT box.

Wishing you many happy miles with your car.
Thanks

Very true Mohit, the AT deserved ABS not as an option but standard as there is no engine breaking with the AT and in the Grand the brakes are very sharp with very little or rather no play of the pedal. I have managed to lock the wheels on more than one occasion though at very low speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post

I had mentioned this as an annoying oversight in my ownership thread, to have the music stop for a few seconds if you want to kill the engine at a light and restart in acc.
Well, I tried it in my car. I think this feature is exclusive to the automatic variant.
Thanks Promit, not sure on the manual version why it switches off because in my Manza the music used to switch only when starting for a few seconds and I am guessing this is the same with other manuals as well so its interesting that Grand has a different way of handling the electrical.

At least in the AT version I have figured out how to keep the music flowing.

Another discovery (not sure if its mentioned in the manual) but the doors remain locked if we kill the engine again in "N" mode. Otherwise in "P" mode the doors always unlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Congratulations motomaverick on your new buy. I used to follow your manza thread very closely esp. the remap etc. Sad that you had to part with it. Buying an automatic is a very sensible decision considering the ever increasing traffic conditions. Wishing you many miles of happy and ownership.
Thanks and I am happy to know that you used to follow the Manza thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
One question - did you ask or have you received any response to the question of what happens if the start/stop switch fails for any reason? any way to manually crank start?
No I have not asked that question, in fact its a very good question to ask. I will shoot a mail to Hyundai immediately. By the way I still have not received any reply about my previous question from them on enabling auto locking feature.
Old 20th July 2014, 10:58   #12
D4D
BHPian

• First of all, congrats on your purchase. Living with a Getz 1.3 for 8 years, I'm very satisfied with the car and ASS
  • Can you please tell me which dealer you bought it from? And were there any discounts?
  • I'm also looking to buy an auto hatch for city drives within a year and your review helped a lot
  • Is the 4-speed good enough for city drives? And does the AT hold a gear till the redline in manual mode?
  • Any reason why Brio was not considered?
Quote:
I am trying to dig deep as to why an AT with the same engine configuration gives less, so planning to drive in manual mode in the next fill of some 500 bucks and see the mileage. One theory I have is that the AT box shifts down to 1 more often than a human would and hence the overall gear changes increases, this causes less mileage.
There are 4 types of Automatic transmissions: CVT, Automated manual, Torque converter and DCT.

Torque converter transmission is the one on your Grand i10. It's less effecient than a manual.(97% vs 88%)

So your FE will be lesser than the manual.
Old 20th July 2014, 15:57   #13
BHPian

Congratulations,awesome car and colour now may I suggest you to go for 15" wheels and low profile tyres,This will make your car stand out
Enjoy and Drive in style.

Thanks&Regards
KN
Old 20th July 2014, 19:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Promit, not sure on the manual version why it switches off because in my Manza the music used to switch only when starting for a few seconds and I am guessing this is the same with other manuals as well so its interesting that Grand has a different way of handling the electrical.

At least in the AT version I have figured out how to keep the music flowing.
No no,
Like in my old car. If I wanted to switch the car off at a long red light and keep the music running, I could- by turning the key to acc without interrupting the music. And yes, the music would go off for a a few seconds when I would restart the engine just like in your Manza.
In the Gi10, in the same situation thanks to the push button system- if I wish to shut the engine off, I need to press the start/stop button and the car shuts down,including all the electricals and I have to restart the car in accessory mode (without pressing clutch) to have my music play at a red light with the engine off.
All this is specific to the manual version of the car.

Quote:
Another discovery (not sure if its mentioned in the manual) but the doors remain locked if we kill the engine again in "N" mode. Otherwise in "P" mode the doors always unlock.
Thanks for sharing the tips and tricks you have discovered. ie.- doors not unlocking if you kill the engine in N and music not getting interrupted if you shut down in Neutral with the handbrake applied. I tried both of them yesterday, unfortunately it seems specific only to the Automatic variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This thought never crossed my mind until just now. Just got to hope like hell that nothing goes wrong. They do tell you during the demo, what to do in case the key fob fails or if the key battery is low, but nope nothing about a malfunctioning start/stop button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Congratulations,awesome car and colour now may I suggest you to go for 15" wheels and low profile tyres,This will make your car stand out
Ideally, 14 inch wheels and 185 section rubber would be the best upgrade. And yes, changing the wheels can really change the look of the car. Do check out bhpian's 'S2!!!' silver Gi10 running on aftermarket wheels and rubber.
Old 20th July 2014, 22:01   #15
BHPian

Hi moto maverick. Congrats on your new baby. Short and crisp review. Just wanted to know why you did not evaluate the Brio CVT? My father was planning to go for it as he found it the best amongst the i10 Grand AT and Ritz AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks