Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 03:23   #46
Geo
BHPian

Re: My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver

My daily drive is 10 kms one way in moderately heavy city traffic. I rarely get to drive in 4th gear during my office commute.The engine is mellowing week after week as I drive. I can feel the subtle changes to engine response and gear shift. Gear shift is becoming smoother as days go by. Probably I am getting used to my engine and my engine is getting used to me. I feel the second gear stickiness less often now.

I have been doing a running-in by keeping the RPM levels mostly in the 2k range and hardly ever over 3k range. Haven't gone for a speed/acceleration test yet. As my daily commute is in moderately heavy traffic, I rarely get to drive the vehicle in 4th gear. I took the car out for longer highway drives over the weekends and realized that the engine eases up after such drives. So I am assuming that long sedate drives through traffic free zones will do good to your engine during running-in.

Did a tank full FE check and got 9.8 kmpl. MDI was showing an FE of about 10.1 at that time.

First Service on : 8th July 2014
Vehicle purchased on : 7th June 2014
Odometer reading : 692
FE : 11.0 kmpl
FE of 13.3 over a 29.7 km recent trip B. This included a longer/traffic free drive to the dealer. FE reading was hovering around 11 to 12 before that.

Observations:
1. Gear lever stiffness occasionally when shifted to the second gear.
2. Very rare slight vibrations of gear lever.
3. Rear speaker slight squeaking noise when driver side rear power window switch is operated.
4. Stuffy smell inside the car.

The checkup included top up of all fluids, inspection of drive belts and tension and cleaning of air filter. Rs 0/- service it was.

About the observations:
1 & 2: The SA said they have done some lubrication of the gear lever. I can feel gear shifts to be smoother (Could be psychological as well )
3. They acknowledged that the issue exists in other ivtec cars as well. Explained to be because of a relay cutoff. I am not convinced how the relay cutoff can cause a slight squeaking noise form the speakers. Anyways, assured by SA that there won't be any issues because of this.
4. Explained to be an issue of the stock fabric seat cover. I don't have rear seat passengers. SA explained that the fabric has an inherent smell which wears off when the seats are used. Will check by having some rear seat passengers.

SA assured that the car is in good shape after the service. I have no complaints and enjoying the drive.

Last edited by Geo : 10th July 2014 at 03:26.
Geo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:04   #47
Geo
BHPian

Thanks turbodude, abhishek46 and MaxTorque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
May i ask you how much do they charge for the under body protection??
3390 plus 12.36% tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
By the way, does the under body protection can have any play in warranty problem? i mean is there any chance this coating can hamper performance of some component?
As far as I know, no to both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
By the way did you inquire about other options available in Bangalore for paint sealing? In my opinion there are many good options available in Bangalore for paint sealing other than 3M.
That is correct MaxTorque. I wasn't planning to get the paint sealing done. I went to 3M and they convinced me to take a combo offer I know the paint sealing won't last for long, so I am not really that worried about that.
Old 10th September 2014, 14:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase Geo

Looking at the petrol-diesel gap narrowing lately am sort of inclined towards petrol cars and in C2 segment first one that comes to mind is the CITY for the awesome 1.5 iVtec. Overall I like everything about the car except for the front grill. I kind of hate so much of chrome. *Personal opinion*

In accessory list i see this alteration available but again that's all chrome.
My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-cityaccfrontspoiler.jpg

Do we have any other subtle/slightly-less-noisy option? And what's the price for this one? Honda website doesnt mention it.
Old 13th September 2014, 07:39   #49
Geo
BHPian

Thanks SoumenD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Do we have any other subtle/slightly-less-noisy option?
I think this is the only official extra accessory. Take a look at this custom modification - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3497673

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
And what's the price for this one? Honda website doesnt mention it.
I think the price quoted was around 8000 or 9000.
Old 19th September 2014, 07:34   #50
Geo
BHPian

Second Service on : 16th September 2014
Vehicle purchased on : 7th June 2014
Odometer reading : 2100
FE : 11.3 kmpl
Gear shifts are smoother now, compared to earlier. Either I have got used to the car, or the car got used to me.

Observations:
1. Rear speaker slight squeaking noise when driver side rear power window switch is operated.
2. Stuffy smell inside the car.

The checkup included top up of all fluids, inspection of drive belts and tension and cleaning of air filter. Rs 0/- service it was.

About the observations:
1. They acknowledged that the issue exists in other ivtec cars as well. SA was trying to convince me that this wasn't a 'defect'. Gave him a piece of my mind. I was assured by SA that there won't be any issues because of this.
2. Stuffy smell issue is not fixed.

I took the car back to showroom on 18th to get the smell issue sorted out. They offered to do a thorough wash and form cleaning of the upholstery. Couldn't complete the work in a day and have asked for more time. Hoping that I can collect my car today at least.
Old 6th January 2015, 16:10   #51
Geo
BHPian

Did 3rd free service on 12/24/2014.
Total kilometers : 3863
Average FE over this 3863 kms : 11.5 kmpl
There weren't any complaints as such for 3rd service. Car is running great and the service has marginally increased the smoothness and the FE of the vehicle.

Service charge : 1400 Rs, for engine oil replacement.

I have been complaining about a stuffy smell inside the car right from the first service. Dakshin Honda Hosur road service center has not been up to the mark. They only do the standard service tasks according to their schedule and pays absolutely no attention to the customer's complaints or observations. I found the service center staff to be unprofessional and totally irresponsible. The regular staff who interacted with me were neither knowledgeable about the works of the car, not where they particularly interested in giving a great experience for the customer. I have seen much better service levels in other brand service centers in Bangalore.
Old 6th January 2015, 17:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Did 3rd free service on 12/24/2014.
Though all service centers are same you could switch to a different HASS (Honda Service station) since the i am presuming one only get's 3 free services and your 3rd free service is over.On the other hand the service was free they might not be interested much in serving you well.Either way maybe you could go for a another HASS in your locality.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:52   #53
Geo
BHPian

October 2018
Changed 4 tyres. At A1 Car Care Centre, near Lalbagh, Jayanagar.
Odometer reading - 35,100.
Upsized to Bridgstone B290. 195/60/R15.
Old 13th January 2019, 12:44   #54
Geo
BHPian

December 2018
Changed ICE unit to Pioneer AVH-Z5190BT.

Stock unit

Stock unit plucked out

Wired up

Needed precisely 2 cuts, which pained a bit

All shiny now
Attached Thumbnails
My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_2869.jpg  

My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_2872.jpg  

My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_2878.jpg  

My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_2879.jpg  

My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-73abb40f2e664c738c20f23d6de731d9.jpg  

Geo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 14:14   #55
BHPian

Quote:
December 2018
Changed ICE unit to Pioneer .
Do the steering controls still work?
Old 13th January 2019, 22:18   #56
Geo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Do the steering controls still work?
Yes, they do. My fitter managed to get it wired up. The two cuts were for this. He had a backup option of having an external mounted control unit. Luckily the direct option worked.
Old 12th March 2023, 14:38   #57
Geo
BHPian

Considering the 2 years we all lost to Covid, the car hasn't run for a lot of years so far. It has been an excellent city vehicle for me so I never had to think of moving on. As I am relatively free now, started exploring options for an upgrade to another car. SUVs are what I am interested in right now. I have checked out Jeep Compass, MG Hector, Harrier, and Safari, and have realized that all good variants of these costs upwards of 30 Lakh. What on earth is happening to new car prices?

With that awakening, I have sort of decided to continue to use my beloved Honda City for a few more years. I am still using the stock car seats. Will get a new set of leather seats done. I am keen on finding out what others have added in terms of accessories - especially related to cameras, visibility, instrument cluster, and anything else like that.

From an affordability point of view, I might as well invest a small amount in upgrading the interiors of my vehicle now, and use it for 3 to 4 years more, rather than spending 30L for a new SUV.
Old 12th March 2023, 14:52   #58
Geo
BHPian

Got my seat cushions done from Kalsson. They have done an excellent job.
Attached Thumbnails
My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_5908.jpg  

My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_5907.jpg  

My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_5911.jpg  

My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_5909.jpeg  

Old 12th March 2023, 14:54   #59
Geo
BHPian

And got the steering leather cover done too. This one is from Devraj, who has moved his shop to Middina Palaya.
Attached Thumbnails
My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_5906.jpg  

My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_5902.jpg  

My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_5901.jpg  

My '14 Honda City SV-MT Petrol, Silver-img_5905.jpg  

Old 12th March 2023, 23:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
December 2018
Changed ICE unit to Pioneer AVH-Z5190BT.
The fitment is lovely.
Can you share details of the dash kit used?

or else the contact of your installer.
Would like to source the dash kit/trim panels. The flush fit is nice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks