Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 14:06   #106
BHPian

Re: 2014 VW Polo 1.5L TDI: Test-Drive Thread

3) Refined and linear power
4) Superb pick up

I just got a new Polo Highline TDi 1.5 and somehow I don't seem to agree much with the above 2 points and I am dissapointed with my Polo for that. Coming from an Accent CRDi with a 3 pot turbo, I had expected much better performance with the Polo. This is where I am not happy!

The first and second gears just don't have enough torque to pull the car in crawling or stop start city speeds with the a/c on. My accent just flew even in the 2nd gear over the potholes and speed breakers without accelerator input. Polo on the other needs lots of accelerator push.

But hey, then again coming to the positives, its the 3rd gear where it shines, it is practically an automatic in that gear.

Has anyone else noticed the same problems as the above or is it just me?

Thanks!
Old 13th April 2015, 15:10   #107
BHPian

^^^Its a new car and you will have to allow the engine to run in. Cant believe a powerplant with 230 nm torque cannot pull a car in the initial gears.

My well run in and painfully cared for K10 can pull from standstill in 2nd gear and its a puny petrol engine. The odo is at 37k+
Old 13th April 2015, 20:28   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknight View Post

4) Superb pick up

I just got a new Polo Highline TDi 1.5 and somehow I don't seem to agree much with the above 2 points and I am dissapointed with my Polo for that. Coming from an Accent CRDi with a 3 pot turbo, I had expected much better performance with the Polo. This is where I am not happy!

The first and second gears just don't have enough torque to pull the car in crawling or stop start city speeds with the a/c on. My accent just flew even in the 2nd gear over the potholes and speed breakers without accelerator input. Polo on the other needs lots of accelerator push.

But hey, then again coming to the positives, its the 3rd gear where it shines, it is practically an automatic in that gear.

Has anyone else noticed the same problems as the above or is it just me?

Thanks!

How old is your car and how much distance have you covered till now ?
In bumper to bumper traffic, I hardly use the accelerator.
Old 13th April 2015, 23:46   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys I have a question. I have a Polo 1.5 TDi Higline 2014 (post-facelift) with the newer RCD 320. However, there is a slight problem with the placement of the bluetooth mic. It is place on the passenger side (co-driver) side of the console and when I call someone my voice is very low like I am sitting very behind.

Is there is any way to fix mic and get a better sounding one or fix up another mic somewhere else? Just fishing for solutions as it is very irritating.

Thanks in advance!
Please check in the specs of head unit if it supports an external mic or not. I am using Sony's XSP N1-bt, it came with a mic which plugs behind the head unit with 3.5mm jack and the mic is installed on the sun visor. I can select if I want to use this head unit mic or phone mic.
Old 14th April 2015, 09:21   #110
BHPian

Quote:
4) Superb pick up

Thanks!
blueknight,
I have the same car and beg to disagree. 1st gear has enormous torque. You will notice that when you dont press the accelerator and release the clutch!

However, you need to shift into second very soon, which is a pain at times.
Old 15th April 2015, 01:12   #111

My first post here.

I am in search for a all round hatchback and test drove the Polo TDI today. Wifey had some some trouble getting adjusted to the driver seat height and no amount of tinkering made her feel comfortable, unfortunately. The driver and co-driver seats were comfortable although I did feel it a bit difficult to ingress and egress. The rear passenger seats could really use some thigh support. I did not face any problem with the rear leg room.

The drive was excellent. Did notice a bit of turbo lag, but I guess it is a problem you will have to live with in every Diesel hatchback in the market today. One thing that really struck me was the long clutch travel compared to say, Swift. It surely affects the in-city driving experience. Also noticed a slight vibration in the clutch on applying the slightest pressure [A feature?]

The Polo TDI looks very appealing now that VW has some really good EMI offers in place.

I am stuck between a Swift ZXI and a POLO CL TDI for now!
Old 15th April 2015, 01:14   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srichida View Post

I am stuck between a Swift ZXI and a POLO CL TDI for now!
Any reason the Elite i20 is not on your list?
Old 15th April 2015, 02:17   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Any reason the Elite i20 is not on your list?
I felt the petrol to be underpowered, and the Diesel overpriced for what I need [ABS and Airbags] and long waiting period in Bangalore.
Old 15th April 2015, 09:07   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I felt the petrol to be underpowered, and the Diesel overpriced for what I need [ABS and Airbags] and long waiting period in Bangalore.
Hey srichida, if I were you, I would simply evaluate my options in the following order of preference, considering your budgeted search:

1. Polo 1.5 TDI Comfortline

2. Swift VDI ABS

3. Swift ZXI

If you looking at frequent highway runs and occasional spirited driving, please stay away from Elite I20 VTVT.

P.S -
I really appreciate your thought of not ignoring safety features like ABS/Airbags, which many car buyers seem to consider a luxury add-on.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 15th April 2015 at 09:10.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 22:33   #115

I really liked the Ride quality of the Swift. The only gripe I have with Polo is the long travel of the clutch and the Comfort line lacking bluetooth connectivity. Can these issues be sorted out with after market purchases?
Old 16th April 2015, 09:31   #116
BHPian

Quote:
I really liked the Ride quality of the Swift. The only gripe I have with Polo is the long travel of the clutch and the Comfort line lacking bluetooth connectivity. Can these issues be sorted out with after market purchases?
Im sure the clutch travel will not be a concern after a few days. I drive many different cars and never has that bothered me. Right now you are comparing cars, so its evident. Once you drive it for a bit it wont matter.

As for bluetooth, Iv never used it, but thats a personal choice
Old 19th April 2015, 19:19   #117

Booked the Comfortline today but I am still wondering if I should go for the Highline instead. We love the RED color and the highline variants do not have a differential pricing for Metallic and non-Metallic colors, so I feel I am spending about 15k extra just for that.

Price difference is about 60k. Really loved the feel of the steering wheel and I could really use the Bluetooth controls.

I can easily upgrade the wheels to better Alloys on the comfortline, but looks like there is no easy way to get the other perks of the Highine. :Confused:

Can somebody suggest a good place to get decent alloy upgrades for the comfortline?
Old 19th April 2015, 20:11   #118
Senior - BHPian

2014 VW Polo 1.5L TDI: Test-Drive Thread

Quote:
Booked the Comfortline today but I am still wondering if I should go for the Highline instead. We love the RED color and the highline variants do not have a differential pricing for Metallic and non-Metallic colors, so I feel I am spending about 15k extra just for that.

Price difference is about 60k. Really loved the feel of the steering wheel and I could really use the Bluetooth controls.

I can easily upgrade the wheels to better Alloys on the comfortline, but looks like there is no easy way to get the other perks of the Highine. :Confused:

Can somebody suggest a good place to get decent alloy upgrades for the comfortline?

If you like all black interiors, then stick with comfortline .
Otherwise, climate control and the steering wheel on the highline variant are good enough features to shift your booking to a highline.

Browse through Sai mag's site, you will get good alloys. They will also ship the alloys to your place .

Cheers.

Last edited by Schoudhury : 19th April 2015 at 20:15.
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 23:48   #119

Booked our Red Polo TDI Highline today. Will get delivery next week.

When I spoke to the Salesperson, he mentioned that he cannot guarantee which tyres come with the car. It's either Goodyear or Apollo Alnac. I want to upgrade my tires in any case.

I want to upgrade to something that is grippy, comfortable and doesn't make much noise. Any good recommendations?
Old 26th April 2015, 10:38   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Booked our Red Polo TDI Highline today. Will get delivery next week.

When I spoke to the Salesperson, he mentioned that he cannot guarantee which tyres come with the car. It's either Goodyear or Apollo Alnac. I want to upgrade my tires in any case.

I want to upgrade to something that is grippy, comfortable and doesn't make much noise. Any good recommendations?
Congrats !

For your requirements, i think the Primacy 3ST in 195/60 R15 is the best choice. Have it for two years and really comfortable and silent rubber. You can also go for S drives in 205/55 R15 if you value that extra bit of road grip and cornering.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks