Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2014, 10:21   #61
DWC
BHPian

Re: 2014 VW Polo 1.5L TDI: Test-Drive Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Took a test drive of the Polo 1.5 TDi yesterday -

With all these positives - I still was disappointed with the car for this one reason. The mid-range is FLAT! The car responds well till about 1500 - 1800 rpms and then goes dead. The response is so linear, turbo kick so absent that there is no fun to be had with the car. Totally disappointed with this aspect. Mind you - the car is still powerful but it's just the way that power is delivered that disappoints. The main thing I love about turbo diesels is their fantastic mid-range and the 1.5 TDi feels dead around this area - and it feels like VW has restricted the mid-range to make a clear distinction of the 1.5 TDi being a city car compared to the GT twins. I have driven the Vento 1.6 TDi and love it, so all the more disappointed with the downsized 1.5
I agree with almost everything you have said except for the bit about the mid range. IMO the mid range is very strong. The turbo kicks in around 1200-1500 rpm and can be felt all the way to the 4000 rpm mark. Agree that the power delivery is linear, but as long as you're in that rpm sweet spot, the car pulls from any gear.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 10:38   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
I agree with almost everything you have said except for the bit about the mid range. IMO the mid range is very strong. The turbo kicks in around 1200-1500 rpm and can be felt all the way to the 4000 rpm mark. Agree that the power delivery is linear, but as long as you're in that rpm sweet spot, the car pulls from any gear.
It pulls even if you are out of the sweet spot, thanks to that 1.5 torque monster thats good for the segment. It pulled up an incline in 2nd so effortlessly - the other 1.3 MJD hatches are no comparison when it comes to the torque.

But as I said - what I found lacking is not the power, but the power delivery. I didn't feel any difference post turbo kick-in, feels very flat and even though it pulls - it feels lacking in the mid-range. You see the rpm needle shooting up, you see the engine sound increasing - but you really dont get a kick/shove from the power delivery at any given point.

Compare it to the old 1.6 where the mid-range just brought a big smile on my face, may be I'm expecting wrong. Will wait for the GT TDi.

Will be taking another TD of the car next week anyways.
  • + Another point i missed to add in the earlier post - the engine is refined and is a huge improvement over the older 1.2 no doubt. Even when the sound filters into the cabin at higher rpms - its a sporty note rather than an irritating diesel clatter. I dont think enthusiasts will complain here.

PS- I don't intend to purchase any of these cars now though. No budget for an upgrade currently.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th September 2014 at 10:41.
Old 7th September 2014, 12:13   #63
BHPian

I've booked the new GT TDI. Was quite impressed with the regular TDI, so figured the GT would be even better.
I didn't feel the mid-range was flat. And I drive a car with the 1.8 TSI which is probably the engine with the best mid-range in sub 30L cars.
What you're trying to say is that since there isn't any turbo lag, the feel of the car not responding and then suddenly waking up is missing. Power delivery is linear, unlike the old swift or ritz.
holysmoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 15:55   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey CrAzY dRiVeR I think the answer is in your question !!

I believe Cross Polo is neither an alternative to a Regular Polo nor a GT TDI. Someone who is capable of going in for Polo Highline 1.5 TDI may want to stretch a tiny bit for a Cross Polo.

GT TDI for the same individual could account to a big stretch.

I may be wrong here but I think if Cross Polo is priced between Highline & GT TDi.

Cosmetic changes does have many buyers for sure. Cross Polo may not be the best choice, but surely a different one from the rest of the Pack!!
Polo 1.5 TDi Highline - 7,50, 102 /-

Cross Polo - 8,04,248 /-

Polo GT TDi - 8,13,204 /-

Frankly - the differences are minor and my pick would be the GT TDi in this scenario.

Is Cross Polo based on the Polo highline or the Polo comfortline?

* All prices ex-showroom Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
I've booked the new GT TDI. Was quite impressed with the regular TDI, so figured the GT would be even better.
I didn't feel the mid-range was flat. And I drive a car with the 1.8 TSI which is probably the engine with the best mid-range in sub 30L cars.
What you're trying to say is that since there isn't any turbo lag, the feel of the car not responding and then suddenly waking up is missing. Power delivery is linear, unlike the old swift or ritz.
Congrats!

I'll be taking another drive next week. Another dealer (Infact, another state!), another car. Let me check if its related to the particular car I drove.
Old 7th September 2014, 20:06   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Congrats!
When are you expecting to take delivery?

Just last month the sales rep at VW Chandigarh insisted that the GT would not be released anytime soon! I guess that was a ploy to push the highline instead. Sales must be down!
Old 8th September 2014, 12:52   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Congrats!

Just last month the sales rep at VW Chandigarh insisted that the GT would not be released anytime soon! I guess that was a ploy to push the highline instead. Sales must be down!

Exactly what happened in my case. I went for a test drive last Thursday in a showroom on Hosur road Bangalore expecting to get a glance of the new 1.5 GT tdi. Unfortunately they don't even have a picture of it. All the salesman was trying to convince me was that the GT is not coming anytime soon atleast until Dec and that I go for the 1.5 TDI(highline) instead. He even convinced me for a test drive. Although I liked the ride very much , I don't want to feel sorry about not buying a GT if it comes out anytime soon. They are however accepting advanced booking for price of 20,000 which will put you in a queue with other advance bookies.
Old 8th September 2014, 13:17   #67
BHPian

I just had a word with VW Whitefield. They are accepting bookings for the GT but he says delivery will take 2 3 months.
Launch is later this month.

Also, it will be available in carbon steel instead of black. Price to remain very close to the older GT
Old 8th September 2014, 13:33   #68
BHPian

VW Polo TDi 1.5 Small test drive :

+ Typical VW build quality being consistent through out. The amount of precision is definitely best in class with very little to complain about
+ ABS and Airbag being standard through out the range means one just needs to decide between luxury bits that are required in car.
+ 1.5 TDi is the biggest change which replaced the old 1.2TDi and for good. The engine is quite linear in its power delivery with a wider power band to play with. Very little amount of turbo lag ensures easy to drive in city conditions with lesser number of gear shifts. The power is built in a linear fashion and doesnt necessarily make you feel like accelerating fast although you are actually doing so. The engine actually feels at home at speeds of 120 where most of its competitors (save i20 crdi) start feeling like laboring a bit. Refinement levels are also top class and thats more to do with the fantastic cabin insulation provided. At times it is difficult to distinguish if there actually a diesel under the hood ! (very few diesel cars in this range can manage that).
+ Ride and handling as expected remain enjoyable. Ride in particular is smooth and tackles rough roads pretty well. Suspension is slightly more tilted towards comfort and hence some body roll is there while trying for some tight change in direction. Straightline stability is very good.
+ Ergonomics is very good. Seats are comfortable upfront and driving position is spot on. Changes done to the rear seat geometry has made it more comfortable,
+ Gearshift is just flawless as it is with all VW cars.

- Steering feedback is much better than what it was in Polo TSi that I last drove. But then its not as engaging at speeds as it is in some of its competition.
- Long travel clutch needs little getting used to. I wish it was little less aggressive.
- Space at rear isnt exactly large hatchback class. Seat comfort though is good.
- Cosmetic changes provided to the exterior are difficult to distinguish in isolation. Polo today doesnt look as fresh as it was 4 years back.

As a car Polo TDi 1.5 with its competitive pricing (7 lakhs otr for base variant and 8.5 lakhs for top model) makes up for the most impressive premium hatchback currently. The new Hyundai i20 elite CRDi can be a good alternative though. I hope the service provided is good and maintenance costs are under acceptable limits
Old 8th September 2014, 20:59   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Congrats!

6 Weeks

Not willing to compromise on a non-GT even though I need the car NOW.
holysmoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 22:51   #70
BHPian

Hi Folks, Found these interesting POLO GT TDI / TSI test drives
http://www.motoringworld.net/cars/re...gt-tdi-and-tsi
http://thrillofdriving.com/review/dr...olo-gt-tsi-tdi
Old 28th September 2014, 19:48   #71
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has any update regarding the GT Tdi . Will it be a DSG or a manual ?
Old 28th September 2014, 19:55   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
2014 facelift GT TDi is a 5 speed manual, same as the previous iteration.
Old 28th September 2014, 22:54   #73
BHPian

Autocar india's official review on youtube is out for GT TSI and GT TDI. both have full black interiors, black orvms, black spoiler. GT variants stick to the pre facelift alloy design. Usual GT badging in the car. 1.5 TDI with 103 bhp and 25kgm of torque is good on paper but the motor is not as free revving as the previous gen 1.6 tdi. Good for the bhpians who bought the 1.6 GT tdi.

Gt tsi has the same engine specs as before
Old 28th September 2014, 22:56   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
It will be the regular 5-speed manual transmission. No DSG expected for the TDI variant.

Anurag.
Old 29th September 2014, 00:12   #75
BHPian

Beg to differ Anurag. 5 speed for now but read that there is a possibility of the DSG in future. Unconfirmed nonetheless

Most Viewed