Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 18:22   #31
BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
The Dynamic variant loses out on the practical 60:40 split folding option for the rear seats. This in addition to removal of the rear wiper and defogger, are big exclusions.
Yeah big exclusion right, nowadays that seems to be norm as you can see with Elite i20 also, they have excluded some big features across their variants. They have omitted the 60:40 split seat in all except their top end.
Old 21st August 2014, 20:32   #32
BHPian

Waiting for 90hp sport test drive review. Almost all reviews point out the body roll. Is that so prominent in the latest version 90hp also ? I have almost decided on 90hp sport and it's time to say goodbye to my old rocket Getz Crdi.
Old 21st August 2014, 21:54   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive View Post
Waiting for 90hp sport test drive review. Almost all reviews point out the body roll. Is that so prominent in the latest version 90hp also ? I have almost decided on 90hp sport and it's time to say goodbye to my old rocket Getz Crdi.
The car with raised ground clearance does have body roll but nothing alarm. The punto still rides and handles very well and does better than most in the premium hatchback segment. Can you clarify on the body roll query if you are comparing to older punto without raised ground clearance or other cars?
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 22:39   #34
BHPian

Re: Old Vs New - Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Exteriors

Front

Attachment 1275097

Attachment 1275119
Excellent review, great to highlight the difference between pre-face lift and current Punto with photographs, Punto/Linea is one car I checked along with Polo/Vento, is it just me but I felt the plastics quality in the Linea/Vento was better than their hatchbacks.

Last edited by Stratos : 22nd August 2014 at 12:50. Reason: Unnecessarily long quote.
Old 22nd August 2014, 00:14   #35
BHPian

Great review, thanks for sharing

Wonder if it is possible to retrofit the dashboard of a Punto Evo to the older versions of GP. The new dash (especially the all black one in the 90hp version) looks really good.
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:33   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevskartha View Post
Great review, thanks for sharing

Wonder if it is possible to retrofit the dashboard of a Punto Evo to the older versions of GP. The new dash (especially the all black one in the 90hp version) looks really good.
It is possible but quite difficult to retrofit the dashboard from Evo to the older Punto and it will cost a bomb. Add to it the woes of modifications such as rattling, misfit, something conking off.

Instead, take the replacement cost as the depreciation hit and replace the car with Evo if you are really hell bent on wanting the new interiors.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:52   #37
BHPian

Overall a nice review with nice sets of pics. I believe that New Punto is overall a satisfactory product to buy. Now up to the people if want to choose or crib more and look for resale value or count the service center FIAT has.
Its many time old is gold, we usually get used to the look of an old model and the new seems to be a bit odd for some time. But it’s a bold decision for FIAT to make over the all new look.
arin_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Punto Evo - 2014

Against
The Punto facelift deserved to have the 1.4 Tjet/ 1.6 MJD under the hood for the enthusiasts.

Missed opportunity to work on the gear ratios, specially the initial two gears which has been the Achilles heel for the car when it comes to 0-100 timings. Gear ratios have seen only a light change, which is rather insignificant.

The automatic headlamps and Rain sensing wipers should have carried forward from the Linea to add more to the equipment list. DRLs would have been a welcome addition in the looks department. Reverse sensors should have been standard. Competition (specially Hyundai) offers a lot more kit as a differentiating factor.
Isn't the automatic headlights available in New Punto?
This was one feature I like most in my old Punto.

Also any news on the launch of Avventura?

Last edited by JohnyBoy : 22nd August 2014 at 11:20.
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

The car was on display and available for a drive at Itpl yesterday. I did not take a drive.

The display car was the 90 version.

Speaking just on the dashboard quality and design, Excellent stuff. I liked the texture and feel of the new dashboard. Top notch quality too.

Noticed the Apollo Alnac tires. The wheels though 16inchers felt like they were smaller. Raising the car has killed the way the wheels fit within the wheel wells. If you've seen the first lot of Linea T Jet cars, it was perfect. The wheels fill the wheel arch perfect.

Front seat felt like a softer fabric compound.

I don't think there is any change in the driver ergonomics.

Loved the feel of the steering wheel grip with the white stitching.

Moving the gear stick back and forth, it very light though the age old rubber feel continues.

Not much to highlight apart from these observations. The car is still a looker.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The interiors are a massive step up on the Evo. I love the dashboard texture on the Evo Sport. The Grande Punto interiors were very low grade in quality as well as finish.

I've asked this before and want to confirm. Can you browse and playback content from the usb drive using the head unit controls or is it again stuck with just the steering mounted controls combined Blue N Me?

Audio quality?
Going by the looks (and reports) this seems to be the same unit in the New Linea. So as per my New Linea, yes you can change tracks from the HU. The buttons inside the audio dial are for folder/album (based on the blu and me preference setting) selection. The 2 small buttons on each side of volume dial are for track selection.

The HU audio quality is decent but the speakers (if they're the same cheap speakers as linea) just don't hold up. A little increase in the volume and they start crackling like hell. Speaker upgrade is highly recommended.
kaushal21fb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Can you clarify on the body roll query if you are comparing to older punto without raised ground clearance or other cars?
Yes, I'm comparing it with Grand Punto 90 hp. None of the reviews about GP 90hp that I remember mention about body roll. But with the same ground clearance ie.185mm, how do evo have the body roll ?
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:28   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Isn't the automatic headlights available in New Punto?
This was one feature I like most in my old Punto.

Also any news on the launch of Avventura?
As far as I am aware of, the prefacelift Punto did not come with the automatic headlamps or the rain the sensing wiper nor does the EVO come with these features.

Avventura is speculated to launch around the Diwali time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive View Post
Yes, I'm comparing it with Grand Punto 90 hp. None of the reviews about GP 90hp that I remember mention about body roll. But with the same ground clearance ie.185mm, how do evo have the body roll ?
The increase in ground clearance has introduced a bit of body roll, but it definitely is not a deal breaker as it still handles very well. Added advantage is of not scrapping even the humoungous speed breakers.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I am aware of, the prefacelift Punto did not come with the automatic headlamps or the rain the sensing wiper nor does the EVO come with these features.

Avventura is speculated to launch around the Diwali time frame.
If no auto headlamps, then it's a downgrade. Old Punto had this.
Rain sensing wipers was not there in old Punto also.

There is conflicting news about Avventura. Fiat website showing featuring that again with 'coming soon' banner. Few weeks ago, it was removed from the site. The dealer here is saying it will not be launched this year, may be he was trying to push EVO. One of the guys working in Fiat mentioned Diwali launch. Let us see.
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:54   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
If no auto headlamps, then it's a downgrade. Old Punto had this.
Rain sensing wipers was not there in old Punto also.
Are you talking about the follow me home headlamps? If yes, it is still available. I reconfirmed that the pre facelift Punto did not have auto headlamps like the Linea.
Old 22nd August 2014, 18:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Are you talking about the follow me home headlamps? If yes, it is still available. I reconfirmed that the pre facelift Punto did not have auto headlamps like the Linea.
I was not talking about follow-me lamps.

In my Old Punto, the headlights switches off automatically after few seconds/minutes after you switch off the car. So no worry on 'lights on' and battery draining. This is what I meant by Auto headlights. Forgive me if this is not the right name of the feature.

(And I found this as a very good feature. Had 2-3 experiences earlier of forgetting to switch off lights and ending up pushing and recharging the battery.)

Last edited by JohnyBoy : 22nd August 2014 at 18:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks