Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2014, 19:47   #61
BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guyme View Post
This is what is called follow-me home headlamps. You can even set the time limit for the light to be on after you have removed the keys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Spot on. The car still has the follow me home headlamps on all variants. It would have been good to have included the Auto headlamps and rain sensing wipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Thank you gr8guyme and nkrishnap

So I think when you say auto head lamps, you mean 'light sensing' lamps which turns on automatically when it is dark. Is this right?

Though its a couple of month old, I think the headlamp question was answered incorrectly. If you turn off the car and pull the headlamp stalk for a second, then the follow me home headlamp comes on for 30 seconds. If you pull the stalk twice it turns on for a minute and so on. The question that was asked was about the feature in fiats where if you remove the key and forget to turn off any of the lights, the car turns off the light automatically after 15 minutes so you don't ever have a dead battery on that count. Hope that clarifies.
ak916 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 21:20   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
The question that was asked was about the feature in fiats where if you remove the key and forget to turn off any of the lights, the car turns off the light automatically after 15 minutes so you don't ever have a dead battery on that count. Hope that clarifies.
Err. Is this about headlights or the interior lights? In my Punto, the moment you remove the key, headlights are automatically turned off. No need to wait for 15 minutes.

The follow me home light is exactly as you explained
Old 4th October 2014, 21:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Err. Is this about headlights or the interior lights?
Any light that's left on, while the key is removed from the cylinder.
Old 5th October 2014, 06:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Any light that's left on, while the key is removed from the cylinder.
Nope. In Punto the headlights get switched off imediately.
Old 5th October 2014, 06:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Nope. In Punto the headlights get switched off imediately.
There are other lights in the car. Any light that's left on will turn off in 15 minuts.. Now all fiats have the same functionality when it comes to headlights. They won't work without the key inserted into the cylinder.
Old 15th October 2014, 09:38   #66
BHPian

I would like to know performance of 1.2 FIRE engine. Could anybody throw some light on this? I know it is not to a enthusiast's delight, but functionally is there a dearth? Say, for example can it easily manage a steepish ramp, or doesn't frustrate on a highway ride..
Old 20th October 2014, 17:48   #67
BHPian

The sales numbers on the Fiat Punto Evo will be shooting high by at least 491 units this month as a Diamond Manufacturing Company in Surat has gifted their employees 491 cars, 200 2BHK flats, jewellery etc. as Diwali bonus!

The corporate sales team at Fiat must be grinning wide on striking this deal!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/44886868.cms

http://www.eni.network24.co/india/ca...-bonus-21920_2

This will surely be a very special Diwali for the employees of that company.

Last edited by trek : 20th October 2014 at 17:49.
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 17:58   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
I would like to know performance of 1.2 FIRE engine. Could anybody throw some light on this? I know it is not to a enthusiast's delight, but functionally is there a dearth? Say, for example can it easily manage a steepish ramp, or doesn't frustrate on a highway ride..

Member Hemanth Anand's Abarth modded Punto is a 1.2 petrol. You can go through his thread for detailed reports.
Old 17th November 2014, 20:10   #69
BHPian

Still no review on evo 90hp ? There is an utter confusion between evo 90hp and Avventura 90hp. There are extensive reviews on Avvy but not many on evo 90hp. Can I expect one soon ?
Old 18th November 2014, 14:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
I would like to know performance of 1.2 FIRE engine.
I have driven a Grande Punto extensively with this engine and at various odometer reading's. What I have observed is, when the car is new, you will have a hard time dealing with the low power and torque output. The car struggles to move. Gets worse with the air conditioner running. However, as you build miles on the odo, the performance of this engine changes. There is a noticeable difference in response and you easily live with it. Yes; steepish ramps do require a little effort from the clutch and throttle regulation. Highway drives are not a problem. In fact, the engine performs very well on the highway. It does not run out of breath at 100kmph. Its slow getting there but once you are at the ton, it can sit there all day. I'd go to the extent of saying this engine does better on the highway than a Hyundai i20 1.2l petrol. The 1.2 Fire is super refined and quiet too.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 22:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

75 hp emotion vs 90 hp sport

The 75 hp emotion has all that's needed. Infact the wheels on this looks better than the ones on sport. My main grouse is the beige interiors. They look like dirt magnet. Headrests in beige, what were they thinking?
I have couple of queries queries, is 75 hp better to drive in city? And how significant is the advantage for 90 hp against 75 hp on highways?
Old 7th May 2015, 20:11   #72
Senior - BHPian

Re: 75 hp emotion vs 90 hp sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
I have couple of queries queries, is 75 hp better to drive in city?
Yes. In fact; it might end up being a shade more economical too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
And how significant is the advantage for 90 hp against 75 hp on highways?
There is a big difference when you demand for power beyond the ton. The engine is more responsive. That is not to say the 75hp is incapable.
Old 22nd July 2015, 22:52   #73
BHPian

Hi, I am trying finalize on a B2 hatch. I am a ex-Liva user, so my main concern is the new car should not feel like a Tin can, make a mechanical clatter when I hit potholes, door shouldn't feel like its made of edible wafer etc. While it should still have the bullet proof reliability and excellent road manners of the LIVA.

I tested and almost finalized a Swift ZXI, took an additional test drive for a final opinion. but the 16K kms old test drive vehicles felt battered, rattled from every nook and corner, everything thing felt as flimsy as the Liva. Further more the Steering is thin and flimsy, and the switch gear feels like its from Tata Ace(the Steering is chunky in Liva and the switch-gears are at least a level better in quality). I am 6.3, so basically, Swift becomes a 3.5 seater once I adjust my seating position. And I don't travel light, hence the boot felt useless as well. (Wonder how MSIL manages to sell so many of these)

I have always loved the Punto, but was keeping away from it for its niggles. But over the years, I have been hearing less of its issues. I was thoroughly happy with the Test drive and I loved the Drivers seat! What I wanna know from the Fiat owners here is,

* has the reliability of the vehicle improved in current year ?
* Does the car develop rattles over the period of time ?
* I wish to keep this for a long period, I know that the increase maintenance cost is directly propotional to the odo reading. But I see many Puntos being sold off by the owners once they cross the 80-90K mark, does it get very trouble some after that mark ?

@nkrishnap : could you help ?

Last edited by anand.shankar : 22nd July 2015 at 22:53.
Old 23rd July 2015, 00:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
new car should not feel like a Tin can, make a mechanical clatter when I hit potholes, door shouldn't feel like its made of edible wafer etc. While it should still have the bullet proof reliability and excellent road manners of the LIVA.
The Swift is reliable and has good road manners but the build quality is as flimsy as a Liva and the body panels are wafer thin. The switchgear for wiper/headlights are not damped well and do give a cheap, fragile feel. Wonder why you even had a test drive of it if you wanted a car which is built well, it is far away from it and Swift failed the crash tests as well with a "structurally unsafe" rating.

Quote:
I am 6.3, so basically, Swift becomes a 3.5 seater once I adjust my seating position. And I don't travel light, hence the boot felt useless as well. (Wonder how MSIL manages to sell so many of these)
It sells because it is a Maruti and it is a successful model, clicks with most of the first time buyers who want a reliable car with peace of mind. The only cars in this segment which have a solid build quality, have good ride/handling and would not become a rattle snake after few years of owning it are Volkswagen Polo and Fiat Punto Evo. The Punto feels even more solid and has a better ride/handling than Polo. You need to drive the Fiat on highways to appreciate on how good the dynamics are + the vault like build just does not let you give the feeling of speed. The service costs are also much lesser than VW and from my experience with both brands, Fiat has turned out to be much more reliable than my Vento.

Quote:
* I wish to keep this for a long period, I know that the increase maintenance cost is directly propotional to the odo reading. But I see many Puntos being sold off by the owners once they cross the 80-90K mark, does it get very trouble some after that mark ?
The car is pretty reliable, i myself own a 2009 petrol Linea which has clocked 60k+ on the odo and barring a clutch change at 50k (thanks to my dad who has a habit of riding clutch) and a blower resistor change, the car has not asked for much. 1.3 MJD is a proven, reliable engine and the car should have not have any issues even after clocking over 1 lakh kms. Our member crazy driver owns a Punto (has clocked 1 lakh kms by now), the car is going pretty good.

In my 6 year old Linea, interiors have zero squeaks/rattles, suspension has held up extremely well and it drives like a tank on highways, there is nothing that upsets the composure of this car. The handling is excellent with a brilliant ride quality coupled with it. It has aged beautifully.

Do not expect a bullet proof reliability experience like Liva with both Polo or Punto, Elite i20 is reliable but the road manners are messed up. Some mall niggle may crop up with both cars but the driving experience will let you forget it. Punto now comes with a 5 year warranty as well

Last edited by coolboy007 : 23rd July 2015 at 00:22.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 01:05   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Hi, I am trying finalize on a B2 hatch. I am a ex-Liva user, so my main concern is the new car should not feel like a Tin can, make a mechanical clatter when I hit potholes, door shouldn't feel like its made of edible wafer etc. While it should still have the bullet proof reliability and excellent road manners of the LIVA.

@nkrishnap : could you help ?
Hi,
Reposting my previous post from some other thread; i hope this will help you:

Myself and my friends love Fiat Ride and Handling and Build Quality/ robustness so much that we have 90% of our vehicles as Puntos and Palios in our group (even the non enthusiasts prefer these cars because they feel safe in them like no other hatchbacks).
so, a few more ownership details for Punto from my own and friends' cars:

My own 2012 punto emotion mjd:
Km : 58000
Maintenance costs: apart from the regular services at 15k intervals which cost less than rs 5000, i have only replaced brake pads once.
No issues with the car whatsoever even when i have pushed the car on very worsts of the roads all over Maharashtra without much care. Its built like a tank and still performs like just new or even better since the engine is now in purple patch.

My friends mjd emotion punto 2010:
Km: 92000
No work needed apart from regular service. His brake pads lasted till 70k km, suspension mounts changed under warranty. He has roamed across the country in his car without a single breakdown. Just today we returned from a holiday in Konkan in his car which still feels as good as new one. And fyi we both are into the habit of not slowing down on broken roads, we just hammer our cars through them.

My friend's punto mjd emotion 2009
Km: 100000+
Apart from regular services only changes are brake pads and clutch assembly. He is a non enthusiast and was recently looking for an upgrade and tried all sedans and muv/suvs below 20L but none could really satisfy him in terms of ride and built and upkeep costs. Finally settled for Innova V but is still holding his Punto.

With our great experiences with punto, a couple of more friends have bought them last year and are in love with their cars.

Apart from puntos we have 4 palio 1.6 and 2 palio mjds, with mileages like 50k to 100k in our group and none has ever had any breakdown or unscheduled maintenance with their cars. Although service is not Toyota good, it's good enough but there are not any cars in those price brackets which can provide so much performance, fun, quality and safety for such a little initial and upkeep costs.
46TheDoctor is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks