Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2014, 20:00   #1
BHPian

Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red

First of all my sincere thanks to respective authors of beautiful ownership threads of XUV500 and Honda City.

To name a few...
XUV500: J.Ravi, Muthalaipatti, SDP, dhanushmenon, raj_5004 and debuda
Honda City 2014: Harry10, RavenAvi, Geo, aditto, vsrivatsa and //M
(sorry if I forget to name some).

In the process of sharing the ownership review I have controlled my self in not going over board by giving

too much of information I have (You may think it as garbage. Sorry if you feel so )
Thanks to some BHPians for inspiring me to name my car 'Red Bull'. The name was coined after seeing

names like White Unicorn, Duma, etc. in the Ownership reviews.

My Previous Car
This is my second ownership review. First was the Mahindra Renault Logan DLX 1.5 DCI. The engine was

wonderful to say the least. Never gave me one issue till date. I did service it in 6 months intervals with out

fail. In all these years A/C ditched me twice. Replaced clutch cable recently. Attended to brake drum issue

recently. It served me very well for about 6 1/2 years (73000 KMS) and is now ready to part of from us.

The Family Work Horse that carried us from April 2008:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-100_2845.jpg

The History - How did we come to Honda City
Once our association with Logan reached 5 years we (Me and my daughter Kirthika who is an ardant fan of automobiles) started discussing about our next requirement. I was having Diesel vehicle only in my mind as I have been driving them from 1995. First one being Tata Sumo (1995 to 2000). Then Tata Indica (2000 to 2008) and finally Logan (2008 to 2014). Many cars were discussed and based on our budget of 10 to 12 Lakhs the list shrunk to...

1. Ford New Fiesta
2. Hyundai Verna (2013 and then 2014)
3. Renault Duster
4. Nissan Terrano
5. Mahindra XUV500
6. Honda City Diesel.
I was heavily inclined in buying SUVs as had not possessed one so far. We also had some basic demands

like...

1. Minimum capacity to seat 5 adults to travel for a minimum of 5 hours.
2. Should have a dead Pedal (My left leg is not so strong as the right one)
3. Good boot space to accommodate our holiday luggage.
4. Light Clutch and reasonable fuel efficiency
5. Dual Head Lamps to enhance highway driving requirements
6. Automatic Climate Control (Just to have some thing better than what I had)
7. Fog Lamps
8. Very good leg space in front and rear.
9. Decent riding comfort for both front and rear occupants
10. Under thigh support.

Ford New Fiesta:
Even though we loved the New fiesta for its features, we could not accommodate it as its rear bench could not hold 3 normal adults comfortably for long.

Hyundai Verna (2013 and then 2014):
I was not in favour of 2013 Verna due to the feedback by fellow BHPians in their ownership reviews and wanted to Test Drive 2014 version only. Went to the near by Showroom and had a look at the 2014 Verna in the showroom. The back seat leg space was very less and there was virtually no under thigh support at rear seat. Could not get a 2014 version for Test Drive and the 2013 that I drove version did not impress me at all except for the silent engine.

Renault Duster:
Oh, I had an eye for it from the day it was launched. Same engine as what I already had (Logan Diesel) and so I knew how reliable it was. I test drove it and loved the road view it presented and the quality of ride. I wanted to go the 85PS Option (Media Nav) Version. It ticked many boxes except, Automatic Climate Control, Dead Pedal (not a very serious setback), Leg Space in Rear. My family had a ride in Duster only after they had in City and so they were not happy about the rear leg room in Duster and so I had to strike it off the list.

Nissan Terrano:
Had a detailed look of Terrano at a show room in OMR. Terrano had a better look than duster though it missed the audio controls in steering and the Media Nav features of Duster. The show room guys told me that it could be integrated at extra cost. It was priced about 30K more than duster even though some features were missing. The dealership in locality could not arrange a test drive in 2 months, though they kept on calling me and assuring me that it will be arranged soon. Terrano also was removed from the list due to the lesser rear seat leg room demand by the family could not be met with.

Mahindra XUV500:
I simply loved XUV500 for its looks. It ticked all boxes except that the mileage was a bit low for my liking. But at my age the niggles thread was very disturbing and I did not have the energy or time to visit ASSC even for minor niggles except for routine service. Other issue is that even minor niggles disturb me and I will try to sort them ASAP. May be up the time line it will come to me one day after it proves to be a more niggles free than what it is and may be by that time I will have more time at my disposal to visit ASSCs even otherwise. I still have XUV500 in my heart.

And finally the Honda City iDTEC:
It ticked boxes I thought are essential but the rear seat leg room and under thigh support impressed my family a lot. They started slowly getting biased towards City. My daughter was very much in favour of a Honda Car as we did not own any previously. I liked it except for the above average NVH levels in side the cabin.

When I test drove the TD Vehicle of Capital Honda OMR with my friend who also is an Engineer, We compared the NVH levels by driving the TD vehicle, My Logan and friend's Classic Fiesta through the same root one after another. The order of NVH from Low to high was Classic Fiesta, Honda City and Logan. This kept me away from finalising Honda City. Then I happened to meet a relative of mine Mr Paramasivam owning a Honda City iDTEC V purchased in 2014 February. He was very much favouring me going for it and left his iDTEC V with me for 2 days to help me evaluate it further. I test drove it and to my surprise the NVH levels in that vehicle was lower as compared to the TD vehicle and at par with Classic Fiesta. I had a night drive and felt that the head light throw and illumination were very good in low and high beams.

The minor compromises I had to make were...

Accept the so called dead Pedal of City
Slightly lesser ride quality as compared to Duster.

My mind said accept it and go ahead. I checked the difference in features between Models iDTEC V and SV and made a list. Removed small things that I thought are of less importance like chrome plated handles and things like that.

Then the major misses were:

Road Tax was 15% for Model V and 10% for SV (as the Ex Showroom price was less than 10 Lakhs) so I would loose 50000 plus in the form of taxes if I go for iDTEC V.

Alloy Wheels were missing in SV - I was not unduly worried (May I can add them later if needed)

Fog Lamps missed - I loved them but had very less need as I have virtually no fog in Chennai

Rear View Camera: Yes I badly needed them as the rear view was not good, especially any obstacle with in 1 to 1 1/2 meters range will not show up if they are less than 2 feet from Ground. So I needed either RP Sensors or Camera badly

No Tweeters in SV - I did not really miss them.

Outer Door Handles in Body colour in SV - In fact I loved them more than Chrome plated ones

Inner Door Handles in Black - I felt it to match with the interior better

Door Switch Panel in Black - Same as above

No Accessory Socket in Rear for SV - I missed them, so will have to make some arrangement

Speed Volume compensation missed - No issues Honda I can live with out it.

Electrically Folding OVRM - I really have folded my OVRMs only a had full of times in all these years. So I will not miss them.

Map Lights: I got my self fooled here. I never thought they would place a light in the top upholstery in centre like Ambassador. Every car now has a light or two in the front for the convenience of Driver and passenger next to him and nothing for the passengers in the rear in base variants. Honda has messed it up here by placing it behind and out of reach for the driver.

So the Model decided was... Go for Honda City iDTEC SV

I checked up with Capital Honda OMR (where I had the Test Drive) for the pricing of SV and possible integration of Rear View Camera in SV. They were very courteous and offered to integrate a CASKA SYSTEM (1Yr Warranty) or BLAUPUNKT SANDIEGO 530 (2Yr Warranty). They said no freebees and even for the mats I have to pay for.

In the mean time Mr Paramasivam got in touch with me and he suggested Sundaram Honda as he had purchased his iDTEC V and before I could decide, he arranged Capital Honda sales team to get in touch with me. The sales co-ordinator was Mr Naveen, a very nice gentleman. He came to my office on 17th September and asked me to give two colour choices. After consulting with my family (wife and daughter) I gave him the choice of either Carnelian Red Pearl or Urban Titanium. He said the waiting time might be 1 month or more and told me that my turn is 4th in the wait list and if any one who has chosen one of these colours changes his choice he would try to offer it to me. I was ready to wait any time as I had my Logan up and
running and I was in no hurry.

Two days later he called me and told me that if I can take the Carnelian Red Pearl he can arrange for delivery by August 1 week. I said it is fine and he came to my office on 20th I paid him the initial payment of 51K. He also offered to take my Logan for 2.1 Lakhs and politely refused the offer as I found it to be lower than the one offered by Capital Honda (2.5L).

He handed over a Welcome docket with Delivery Schedule (Pictures attached below):
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090043.jpgRed Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090044.jpg
On 23rd or so he called me and told me that the vehicle has been lifted from factory and will reach Chennai by month end (July 31st). He told me that Registration process takes about 3 days. I insisted that need to do the PDI before the vehicle moves out for registration and he accepted for that. As he said the customers are not allowed to inspect the vehicle in their yard I accepted to inspect it in the show room prior to registration.

I started processing the loan part and made payment by 31st in full including Taxes, extended warranty and Bumper to Bumper Insurance cover and asked him to remove Road Side Assistance alone.

On 2nd August I got a call from him intimating that the vehicle has come to the Yard. He said the registration formality has changed now and it takes 7 days now and that I can inspect the vehicle when it comes to the showroom for registration. I was a bit upset that I could inspect it only after they initiate registration formalities. He assured me that they will do two rounds of inspection before it comes to the showroom. Also I had not signed any papers and I will have to only after I see the vehicle. I accepted for inspection on 11th and told him that I will take delivery on 13th (Friends family felt it to be an auspicious day)

In the mean time I had planned to buy Sandiego 530 from one of the outlets I knew and get it installed by the Dealer. For Seat Covers I had two outlets in mind one Autofarm Shop and next one an accessory shop, both in GP Road, Chennai.

The Day of Registration:
I went to Sundaram Honda on 11th August for inspection. Along with me came Mr Paramasivam, my trusted mechanic Arul who maintained Logan the last 4 1/2 years (after warranty) and a person from my accounts and my daughter. As assured, the car looked great with no scratches or dents or any thing of that sort.
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080880.jpgRed Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080884.jpgRed Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080890.jpg

Arul and my self checked the NVH levels after cranking and found it to be well with in acceptable levels.
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080899.jpg

The ACC worked fine. The tyres were MRF ZVTV.
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080917.jpg

Battery was Amaron.
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080892.jpg

Mileage was well below 50 Kms (I Don't remember the exact figure).
The only negative thing was that In one or two places the beige upholstery was slightly dirty.

The handles in body colour looked to merge well and I really liked that over the Chrome plated ones in the higher end versions.Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080921.jpg

Last edited by Seran Manian : 17th August 2014 at 20:02.
Seran Manian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 20:41   #2
BHPian

re: Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red

The D Day... The 13th August 2014
We had planned to take delivery between 10-45 and 11-45 AM and reached the show room by 9-15. Naveen was there awaiting us. The vehicle was awaiting us in the delivery bay.
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-img_1680.jpg
We were explained about the features of SV iDTEC by Naveen and then I had to sign a few documents and it took about 30 minutes. . We went to the delivery bay. Lemons were placed under all the four wheels
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-img_1688.jpg

and a small pooja was conducted by a mechanic form Sundaram Honda
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-img_1692.jpg

and after that the Key was handed over to us. I as a token of good will gave the Sales Co-ordinator a memento which he really loved.
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-img_1698.jpg

A few more features were explained to us with me and my daughter seated in side and then we were all set to go back home in Red Bull. The accessory guy had already come to install the NAV system but the sad part was that I forgot to bring it from home. So he accepted to fix it at a place near my home and asked me to bring it there by 12 noon. Arul drove Red Bull home and followed him in Logan.

Price Split-up:
============
1 Ex-Showroom price : 977900.00
2. Insurance (B2B) : 32141.00
3 Road Tax : 108790.00
4 Extended Warranty & RSA : 16400.00
============
Total : 1135231.00

Have asked them to remove RSA (Road Side Assistance). They will refund the amount back. I have taken Royal Sundaram B2B insurance. Also if I submit them the NCB Certificate of my previous car, they have assured me to give that money back.

Last edited by Seran Manian : 21st August 2014 at 21:06.
Seran Manian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 21:23   #3
BHPian

NAV Integration
On reaching home we took the NAV system and reached Adyar to fix it. I was yet to procure the RP Camera as I was not able to decide about what to buy and hence I left it to the choice of Mechanic. He suggested Geesonic PS-1, a system which has 4 reverse sensors, a reverse camera and a Electronics Unit that accepts all these inputs and gives a video output that integrates both the sensor output Distance from Obstacle in meters in left as well right direction and Reverse camera output. This output can be fed to Sandiego 530 to display.

This process involved removing the existing HU from the dash and replacing it with the Sandiego fixed in a new imported HU panel. I did not want to use the Facia that came with the 530 system,
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090051.jpg

as the imported HU panel that is available in the market has a cut-out that is slightly longer than the facia and thus one will see the beading edge of the cut-out at both ends of the Sandiego Facia (As the cut out had rubber beading at end to cover the gap between the system and the cut-out edge). Also the facia was projecting about 12 mm from the HU panel. So I made a small facia from a 0.8 mm Acrylic sheet and covered it with a matt automobile sticker.
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090050.jpg

We had some issues like missing connecting kits and we had to procure them and they costed a whooping 4K (Though the system was only 25k).

This delayed the installation and finally when it was finished, the camera
alignment did not look fine. He had to arrange a replacement and he did it the next day.

As we had to move to the market to source the connecting kit, the mechanic came along with us to the market and the balance work was carried out in GP road itself. Once the installation of NAV was over, we went for Seat Cover fixing and as AutoFarm rep was not reachable we went for Dolphin Covers (6K including installation)

I checked the tyre pressure two days after Delivery and was shocked to see that to be 38 PSI (Normal is 32 in front and 30 in rear). Corrected, will have to check at some other bunk again.

Now a few pictures of NAV: NAV integrated in HU fixed in Dash...
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090045.jpg

Profile View indicates that it protrudes only by 6mm from facia:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090047.jpg

Opening view of NAV that shows the Icons touch the icon to start that function:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090020.jpg

Reverse Camera in Action (at night):
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090019.jpg

Reverse Camera in Action (at day time):
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090026.jpg

You can adjust intensity of Reverse camera Display by touching the screen:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090028.jpg

The Radio functionality supports 3 FM Groups with each supporting 6 FM stations and an AM Group with support to store 6 Stations:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090021.jpg
Seran Manian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 21:44   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
He handed over a Welcome docket with Delivery Schedule
Congratulations on getting yourself the Red Bull! And yes it'll give you 'wings'.

Enjoyed reading your ownership review. Wish you many many miles with the City.

EDIT: Go and get the 3M underbody coating treatment done, has a 5 year warranty.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th August 2014 at 21:57.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 21:47   #5
BHPian

Now the Bluetooth Phone Functionality. Some Bluetooth features are need (such as PBAP) to view contacts info and missed call, received call and dialled call information. In Android Phones one may need to use application such as 'Bluetooth Phone Book' that costs about Rs 150. Provision is available to make calls directly:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090025.jpg

View of Missed calls list (loaded from Cell Phone):
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090029.jpg

View of Received calls list:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090030.jpg

View of Dialled calls information:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090031.jpg

Contacts List from phone can be downloaded to NAV (up to 2000 contacts):
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090032.jpg

You can touch a contact to dial him/her (You need the cell in your packet ofcourse):
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090035.jpg

Screen shot of Contacts list downloading from phone:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090033.jpg
Seran Manian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 22:28   #6
BHPian

Finally Navigation Feature: It has a lot of features and I am yet to go through it fully. Just two pictures of NAV
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090023.jpgRed Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090024.jpg
I got a 12V socket installed below the rear seat AC Vents. View of open 12V Socket:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080989.jpg

View of 12V socket closed to avoid dust accumulation:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080990.jpg

Seat Covers - Dolphin make: ( The Foot mats are from my Old Logan as I am yet to receive my freebees from Sundaram Honda ) Front Seats covered:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080988.jpg

Rear Seats Covered:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080987.jpg

Packets are there at the back of Front Seats:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080991.jpg

View of front passenger seat:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1080992.jpg

Now some parting shots. View of 4 Rear parking sensors in place and the Rear Camera is in the centre:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090053.jpg

View of the Sandiego NAV above ACC:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090039.jpg

Driver side switch panel of SV iDTEC:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090040.jpg

ORVM Control of SV (No control for folding the ORVMs):
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090041.jpg

The odd placement of cabin light (View from front - you can see the front seat head rests in the picture):
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090042.jpg

For those interested in purchase of new vehicles or any service assistance in Sundaram Honda - Chennai, Mr Naveen will be pleased to assist you. He is available @ +919840433171. You may refer my name if needed (Seralathan).

My daily usage will be 15 Kms up and down (to office) and in the week ends I travel up to 100 Kms.

Yearly average use is 11000 to 12000 Kms. As of today (18 Aug 2014) I have travelled 250 Kms and so it is too early to comment about mileage. I will be keeping the Engine revolution below 2000 RPM till 1000 Kms is reached in ODO. Not planning any Highway driving till then as suggested by TBHP. The ride and handling with in city is good. Lane change feature is a welcome change for me. Only struggle is swapped Light and Wiper stacks when compared with Logan. Will need some time to get used to.

Exterior:
It sure looks lovely from front-right or front-left.I love its stance more from the rear-left than from the front. Colour choice was a bit tough for me. Black was ruled out as my family had a much negative feel about a vehicle in black colour as black is some thing that is not associated with good ceremonies. White I was a bit against as maintenance would be a real challenge. We already had a car in silver and so was not for it. The metallic Brown too dark for our liking. Then we had only two colours left. The Titanium and Carnelian Red. As my friend cum relative had Titanium I went for Carnelian Red, though I had not seen it till then. We chose it based on the view in my laptop and as person associated with Design and manufacture of Instruments, I knew very well that what we see in illuminated screen will always be different in reality. So I was a bit sceptical and really started worrying.When the sales rep came to visit me once after booking he brought a demo vehicle in carnelian red which would not have seen the washing bay for months! My anxiety
shot up. It all vanished on the day of registration when I saw it the first time. Ever since it has grown on me and really love it. Same way, the previous car being Logan I love the exterior much more.

Interior:
I have nothing much against the layout of Dash, Seating in the front or rear, as I have come up from the Logan environment. If I have any thing not to my liking I would point to the Chrome rings in the RPM, Speedo and trip Info dials. But even that is individualistic I suppose. Right side Bottom area (Front of Driver's Knee) of the dash looked a bit flimsy. May be they could have reinforced the edges better. The Driver seat height adjustment was one feature I really liked as I did not have it in my previous car.

Gadgets:
Having used Logan previously and that too not a top variant, many Gadgets present in Red Bull were new and to my liking too. To name a few:
1. Twin Trip Meters
2. Both have Odometer and Fuel efficiency info.
3. AirBags
4. ABS with EBD.
5. Economy Indicator Ring.
6. Dual Head Lamps

Engine, Ride and Handling:
I have nothing against my previous Logan's Engine as it never ever gave me any problem in the long years it served me. The Engine noise even today is ok and only because of the poor cabin sound insulation it creeps in to the cabin. So I was a bit worried about the Honda Demo car's engine noise being heard well in the cabin. But on seeing new vehicles it slowly vanished. When I saw Red bull on the day of registration the first thing I did was to start the engine close the doors rev it to 2000 rpm and assess the NVH. I was happy to say the least. I am also told that it will go further down once the engine runs in.

Gear shift with 6 gears is a boon. Logan in Second gear will not pull well at low speeds, so I used to shift to 1st gear when I reached a speed of 10 KMPH or so to avoid engine stalling. City excels in that department. I now cross Speed Breakers at second gear with ease.

Riding comfort is better than Logan but below par when compared with the Duster I test Drove. May be they could have designed the tyres a bit bigger. I sure can live with this and so no complaints.

Steering - I simply love it. The ease with which I drive now a days, especially as against the way I drove Logan, one has to experience it to appreciate.

Clutch: Oh it is very light, especially for a person with mild issues in the left leg. The only thing I miss is Dead pedal to reduce the leg strain - especially when driving in bumper to Bumper traffic. Another thing noticed is that (I don't know if all citys are like that) the clutch as well as brake pedals are placed higher as compared to Logan (May be by an Inch or more) and this makes my desire for Dead pedal more. Planning to do some thing to make a make-shift dead pedal to start with. Will post pictures once done.

Mileage:
I used get between 15 to 17 Km/h in City and above 20 Km/h with Logan. Dealer had left about 7 to 8 Litres of Diesel in the tank as a complimentary fill. After the Day of Registration in which I had a lot of purchase and Installation activities which consumed a good Odo run of not less than 120 Kms, I reset the trip meter B when I first filled Diesel. The Odo reading showing a Mileage of more than 18KMPH.
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090068.jpg

Trip meter A was reset when I first moved the Red Bull for office run. In about 60 KMs run in the four days it averages about 17KMPH in the moderate traffic.
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090067.jpg

Planning to have a highway run this week end. That will give me an Idea of what I get when I maintain a steady 80KMPH in Gear 6.

Under body Treatment
Today I had under body anti-rust coat done by 3M-OMR. The first visit did not leave a very cherish able memory though. But Jobs done were ok. I will post the details in the appropriate thread soon. They did a complimentary UV treatment done, washed the engine bay too.
The Shine in the bonnet after UV treatment reflects buildings nearby:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090072.jpg

A view of the Under body treatment done to wheel arches:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090073.jpg
I could not add the picture of total under body view as I was late and hence could not manage a snap.

And finally Team BHP sticker pasted after treatment in the rear chrome garnish above number plate:
Red Bull: Honda City i-DTEC SV, Carnelian Red-p1090077.jpg

Finally to sum up.....

* ACC is simply wonderful
* Leg Space in front and rear are very good.
* Under thigh support for Front and rear passengers (up to 5" 10") is good
* Engine Noise is very much in acceptable level.
* I had no issues with Tyre thickness or Braking (May be because I am a sedate driver)
* A very light steering - I simply love it.
* A very light clutch too.
* Gear ratios are well designed. Had no issues in city run driving a car that I am not much used to.
* Low and High beam intensity looks fine (As against some owners review) I don't know if Honda has done some thing about it.
* Auto Door locking (@ 20 KMPH) and auto unlocking once engine is switched off is a welcome change

Dislikes:

* Placement of Cabin Light (It surely is not for the Driver to access) in SV Model
* No Buttons to Lock the Foot Mats in SV version (Honda is differentiating models even in such small things!)
* Gears a bit notchy (May be after a few thousand kilo meters it might become smooth?)
* All beige interior is going to be a real challenge to maintain.
* Boot inner wall is open with few wiring exposed. Some thing needs to be done to cover it.
* Paint Quality looks a bit below par - A few Scratches in my friend's car show the primer layer.

To sum up, I will keep posting about the regular service information like what was done in the service and the cost information. Will also post about any mods I do in future (No plans as of now) and any niggles I may come across ( Even though I don't wish so) and how it was tackled. Finally Thanks for going through this long thread.

Last edited by Seran Manian : 22nd August 2014 at 08:21.
Seran Manian is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 01:09   #7
BANNED

Congratulations Seran , wishing you many happy miles with your new ride.

The H.U looks brilliantly integrated in the dash , The facia seems a perfect fit and of O.E.M quality , how much did you pay for it? I'll be getting a better H.U installed soon as the stock H.U isn't really doing justice to my upgraded speakers , what about steering mounted controls for audio and phone , is there a interface available for that too?
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 05:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congratulations on getting yourself the Red Bull! And yes it'll give you 'wings'.

Enjoyed reading your ownership review. Wish you many many miles with the City.

EDIT: Go and get the 3M underbody coating treatment done, has a 5 year warranty.

Anurag.
Thanks for your wishes Anurag. Thanks for the suggestion. I sure will the underbody 3m treatment done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Congratulations Seran , wishing you many happy miles with your new ride.

The H.U looks brilliantly integrated in the dash , The facia seems a perfect fit and of O.E.M quality , how much did you pay for it? I'll be getting a better H.U installed soon as the stock H.U isn't really doing justice to my upgraded speakers , what about steering mounted controls for audio and phone , is there a interface available for that too?
Thanks for your wishes Rocketscience. Glad that you are happy with the way it is integrated. Hu label price is 31k, got it for 25k after some bargain ( I had the right person with me). They give some patch up kit called SWC KIT. It has all the connectors needed to connect the new Unit with system connectors. There is a configuration menu in the system that helps you to configure each key in the steering wheel. Unfortunately the phone up phone down keys in mine look disconnected.
I have programmed the other 5 keys for volume up, down, station search down, up and the Source key to toggle phone up, down. Will get in touch with the mechanic and see if this is an accidental omission. I will post it soon.
Old 18th August 2014, 13:03   #9
BHPian

Congratulations Seran Manian on your fabulous new car. Looks great from all angles.
Coming to the NAV and HU itself; I have seen some cars on which this stands as an eye-sore, as if it doesn't fit in. How about your system?

Congratulations again and happy driving
Old 18th August 2014, 21:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Congratulations Seran Manian on your fabulous new car. Looks great from all angles.
Coming to the NAV and HU itself; I have seen some cars on which this stands as an eye-sore, as if it doesn't fit in. How about your system?

Congratulations again and happy driving
Thanks for your wishes. Very purpose of leaving the original bezel was to give a better look. Planing for some more enhancements in the bezel to have better visibility in day time when the sun shine is on the display. Will post pictures when done.
Old 18th August 2014, 22:41   #11
BHPian

Seran Manian, Congratulations on your red bull. May you have loads of memorable and wonderful times for a long time with him. The review made good reading with clear reasoning and good snaps.
Old 18th August 2014, 23:13   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the carnelian bull. Looks good. Hopefully the 3D mats can further enhance the interiors. The NAV seems lot of work and wish it rewards you. Its better than the non touch OE . Happy motoring. Is this bull going to chase people on the roads

Last edited by Vahanam : 18th August 2014 at 23:42. Reason: Typo
Old 18th August 2014, 23:43   #13
BHPian

Congrats! The car looks awesome! How's the accuracy of the GPS?

Did you get body colored rear parking sensors or are they black?

Wishing you many long drives and trouble-free ownership.
Old 18th August 2014, 23:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Dislikes:

* No Buttons to Lock the Foot Mats in SV version (Honda is differentiating models even in such small things!)
My V city too doesn't have the clips to lock the mats. Honda seems to have removed these from the cars produced of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
Happy motoring. Is this bull going to chase people on the roads
well, not if some cows are in the vicinity
Old 19th August 2014, 07:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Seran Manian, Congratulations on your red bull. May you have loads of memorable and wonderful times for a long time with him. The review made good reading with clear reasoning and good snaps.
Thanks Anil for your comments. Happy to find some one appreciating my reasoning .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
Congrats on the carnelian bull. Looks good. Hopefully the 3D mats can further enhance the interiors. The NAV seems lot of work and wish it rewards you. Its better than the non touch OE . Happy motoring. Is this bull going to chase people on the roads
Thanks for the suggestion Vahanam. I am also impressed by the 3D mats you have purchased. I planning to request your help if the dealers in Chennai quote high. yes NAV is still under study, learning things every day. Had a good laugh on reading your comment about bull. Being aged enough I will not allow it to chase people .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Congrats! The car looks awesome! How's the accuracy of the GPS?

Did you get body colored rear parking sensors or are they black?

Wishing you many long drives and trouble-free ownership.
Thanks Mad Max. It gets 8 satellite connections on an average and GPS is accurate to 10 Mtrs.

I tried for Red and could not get it (Only white, silver and black were available).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
My V city too doesn't have the clips to lock the mats. Honda seems to have removed these from the cars produced of late.

well, not if some cows are in the vicinity
LOL. At my age I will not allow that to happen...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks