Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2014, 17:00   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 20th September 2014, 17:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Fan View Post
Totally agree -- I have a 5-year old Cedia which I hope to keep for many more years. I would upgrade to the next gen Lancer without a thought if that were an option in the future. Cedia is a fantastic car for Indian conditions, and bulletproof Japanese reliability as well. Can't believe what HM has done to it.
I agree with you 100%. I too have a 12 year old Lancer, she drives beautifully till date. Totally reliable, gave up on me only once, when the fuel pump in the tank conked out. Mitsubishi make great cars - they have an extremely low recall history.

Mitsubishi could have been a runaway success in India, sadly not so.
Old 20th September 2014, 18:21   #18
BHPian

Congrats MAV ! Jetta is an awesome choice.

It was a very interesting read. It was a nice thought to keep it under wraps and surprise your wife. I'm sure she was thrilled !

I had a similar experience with the City, although it was one of the cars I loved in its previous generations just couldn't make up my mind on the new one & ended up with the Rapid. I felt the city lacked what we enthusiasts call soul :banghead:

Anyways wish u a happy n safe ownership ! More pictures please Looks sublime in white and those alloys are awesome !!

Last edited by suhas_raj : 20th September 2014 at 18:23.
Old 20th September 2014, 19:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
After a long day at various dealerships, we finally reached the Honda dealership, where I went for a quick test drive of both the manual and auto petrol top end. I was quite happy with the car except for a few things:

1. Alloys - man they look ugly
2. Thin wheels
3. some obvious cost cutting
4. The 2 din system, which I really felt looked a bit cheap

Other than the 4 negatives I have listed out above, out of which point 2 could be sorted out, I was quite happy with the drive and general fit and finish of the car. The feature list was so long, that I was quite happy that I was getting all the stuff I ever wanted with a brand that I always admired
What I really liked about the City was the nice smooth engine, the superb gear box, all the bells and whistles that you can think of and then some more. It had a decent sounding system, nice ECO mode, touch AC, folding mirrors, sunroof and a lot more. I really liked the level of kit. And since it fell bang in the middle of my budget I went ahead and paid the booking amount for a VX manual, with a promise that I would get the delivery within 2 months at best.
First of all heartiest congratulations on you new car and wish you happy and safe motoring for years to come.

Personally I am also going through same thought process. My mind says City with changed front grill, alloys and wider tyres. But my heart is on Octavia / Yeti / Jetta. I don't know what will eventually be the result. I am for sure will be glued to your post for your experiences and updates. Keep the coming....
Old 20th September 2014, 23:05   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will keep adding to this thread as and when there are updates, so please do add your comments and questions and I will try and respond to each and every one of them. Thanks for reading..
Mav we need some more detailed pics! Looks like the Jetta comfortline has received some upgrades.

New alloys, new head unit and maybe some more. Please post detailed interiors shots.

Congrats and thanks!
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I agree with you 100%. I too have a 12 year old Lancer, she drives beautifully till date. Totally reliable, gave up on me only once, when the fuel pump in the tank conked out. Mitsubishi make great cars - they have an extremely low recall history.

Mitsubishi could have been a runaway success in India, sadly not so.
I agree with that statement completly. The Cedia and Outlander were cars that had the best of both the Germans and the Japanese. Sad that the partner they chose could not do anything with such brilliant engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Congrats MAV ! Jetta is an awesome choice.

It was a very interesting read. It was a nice thought to keep it under wraps and surprise your wife. I'm sure she was thrilled !

I had a similar experience with the City, although it was one of the cars I loved in its previous generations just couldn't make up my mind on the new one & ended up with the Rapid. I felt the city lacked what we enthusiasts call soul :banghead:

Anyways wish u a happy n safe ownership ! More pictures please Looks sublime in white and those alloys are awesome !!
Thank you good sir, and one more pic with the new LED DRL's is at the end of this post. I promise some more pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
First of all heartiest congratulations on you new car and wish you happy and safe motoring for years to come.

Personally I am also going through same thought process. My mind says City with changed front grill, alloys and wider tyres. But my heart is on Octavia / Yeti / Jetta. I don't know what will eventually be the result. I am for sure will be glued to your post for your experiences and updates. Keep the coming....
Same boat and hopefully you will be able to make the right choice for yourself. Its a difficult boat to be in no doubt. What pushed me to the jetta was the thought that I would not change the car for maybe 6-7 years. So I may as well buy something thats going to keep me excited rather than something that the mind forces me to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Mav we need some more detailed pics! Looks like the Jetta comfortline has received some upgrades.

New alloys, new head unit and maybe some more. Please post detailed interiors shots.

Congrats and thanks!
I will post some more interior shots, just give me a day or two.

Here is a pic of the DRL's. It took quite a while to get them to fit, even though it seemed like a 5 min job on youtube. Taking the original holder out the first time around is a pain. They are not very bright though and I would like to get some more feedback from guys who have already done this mod. These are the bulbs from dx.com. Took about a month to come in.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White-img_1449.jpg  

Last edited by mav2000 : 22nd September 2014 at 14:44.
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Same boat and hopefully you will be able to make the right choice for yourself. Its a difficult boat to be in no doubt. What pushed me to the jetta was the thought that I would not change the car for maybe 6-7 years. So I may as well buy something thats going to keep me excited rather than something that the mind forces me to buy.
Guess what... I just came back to office after test driving Jetta 1.4TSi when I received an email that you have been quoted. I have been quite impressed with the power of this little gem of an engine and also ride of the car. Build quality of the car is amazing. I didn't like the hump of transmission tunnel. We need a car in which 5 people can seat comfortably for a long distance. This may be a deal breaker. Leg room is not a question at all. Let us see how it works out....

Can you update about the mileage that you are getting.
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Guess what... I just came back to office after test driving Jetta 1.4TSi when I received an email that you have been quoted. I have been quite impressed with the power of this little gem of an engine and also ride of the car. Build quality of the car is amazing. I didn't like the hump of transmission tunnel. We need a car in which 5 people can seat comfortably for a long distance. This may be a deal breaker. Leg room is not a question at all. Let us see how it works out....

Can you update about the mileage that you are getting.
Hey, thanks for the good wishes. The hump is not all that bad and 5 can be seated quite comfortably, unless its a really long drive. As of now getting close to 9kmph in the city.
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White

Quote:
As of now getting close to 9kmph in the city.
We all believe in you buddy, we know you can go faster than 9 kmph. Soon you'll go into double figures.

Enough about your city speeds though, what about your mileage?

Last edited by iliketurtles : 23rd September 2014 at 19:43.
Old 24th September 2014, 10:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, I put Japanese and Korean cars in the same slot because the Honda City does not feel any better put together than the Verna. I think Honda is losing it and adding features but removing the solidity and bullet proof engineering that it once stood for.
Regretfully, I will have to agree with this statement of yours. Have had three Honda Citys - from 2003 to date and the 'Q' levels seem to have declined progressively (I don't mean to offend other Honda owners).

Congrats on the beautiful car - I hope you enjoy many happy motoring days in it!
Old 24th September 2014, 10:38   #26
BHPian

Congrats mav2000! Despite the delay, I think the VW team pulled through & have a very satisfied customer. (:

Loved how the DRLs look at night. Do post more pictures of the interiors.
Old 24th September 2014, 17:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Regretfully, I will have to agree with this statement of yours. Have had three Honda Citys - from 2003 to date and the 'Q' levels seem to have declined progressively (I don't mean to offend other Honda owners).

Congrats on the beautiful car - I hope you enjoy many happy motoring days in it!
Thanks wilful. I feel even the last gen Honda citys were better engineered as compared to the new one. The stiffness that they have added to the suspension also makes it very uncomfortable, especially in cities like Bangalore with our half done roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
Congrats mav2000! Despite the delay, I think the VW team pulled through & have a very satisfied customer. (:

Loved how the DRLs look at night. Do post more pictures of the interiors.
Thanks rohansachar. Yup, the white looks better and more premium as compared to the halogens. But sadly in the night, they are off and the main headlights take over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
We all believe in you buddy, we know you can go faster than 9 kmph. Soon you'll go into double figures.

Enough about your city speeds though, what about your mileage?
Lol, yeah but on a more serous note, sometimes my daily commute is actually reduced to an average of 10-12 kmph.
Old 24th September 2014, 23:10   #28
BHPian

Congratulations Mav2000 on your great buy. I've loved the Jetta since it's facelift and if I hadn't bought the Superb before, I would've definitely got the Jetta.

The TSi engine is a gem, even the 1.4L.
I too own a German and know the quality of the interiors and the loud satisfying thud you get when you close the door. That "tank" like build is very reassuring.

Loved the DRLs. Would love to know the procedure for the mod.

Waiting for good quality pics.

Hope you have an error free (coming from VAG cars) happy mile munching!
Old 28th September 2014, 21:33   #29
BHPian

The DRL looks cool... Get a chrome exhaust tip as well...
Old 28th September 2014, 23:04   #30
BHPian

Congrats for the beauty! Jetta IMO is a car that is COMPLETE in every aspect. It has got everything in just the right proportions. I wish it had the 1.8 tsi + dsg drivetrain.

Wish you a million miles. Waiting for more pics and updates.

Regards,
Harsh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks