Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2015, 00:55   #121
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Even I read that the issue was resolved after using mineral oil. However, both VW and SKODA dealers here in Pune tell me that the oil used in Vento and Rapid is synthetic and the DSG failure issue is not being faced anymore. I tried to debate the synthetic/mineral oil issue with the VW sales rep but in vain. I am really doubtful now what they actually use. Can any of the Rapid owner here confirm which oil is being used in their car? Thanks a ton!!
Synthetic oil is still used as the Engine oil and it's the transmission oil (for DSG) which is changed from synthetic to mineral.
And since the transmission oil is not changed that often, the VW rep must be arguing about the engine oil used.
abhi_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 10:32   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_d View Post
Synthetic oil is still used as the Engine oil and it's the transmission oil (for DSG) which is changed from synthetic to mineral.
And since the transmission oil is not changed that often, the VW rep must be arguing about the engine oil used.
Ok. I am going to meet the VW folks sometime later this week. I will check again. I wanted to know specifically about gear oil as the issue was with the DSG gear box. I really hope its worth spending @14 lakhs on this car and it will hold good for a long long time!
Old 6th October 2015, 17:25   #123
BHPian

Hello happy DSG owners .. i am seriously considering the Rapid DSG sometimes this year. I would like to seek your guidance specifically on few things:

1. How is the experience with the ESP (Electronic Stability Program)? IS it really worth?
2. How about the hill hold feature?
3. Any possibility to retrofit or change the ICE? ( I have a pioneer touch screen one)
4. How powerful is the projector headlamp and any possibility to upgrade the bulb? Considering lot of highway and remote area driving, what would be the possibility of getting a mechanic/DIY to help in case of any issues with the projector headlamp? (I mean changing of bulb etc.)
5. How much does the routine service cost?
6. How effective the road side assistance is (if anybody has availed it)

I currently own a Sunny dCi and would like to change.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th October 2015, 19:11   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Hello happy DSG owners .. i am seriously considering the Rapid DSG sometimes this year. I would like to seek your guidance specifically on few things:

1. How is the experience with the ESP (Electronic Stability Program)? IS it really worth?
2. How about the hill hold feature?
3. Any possibility to retrofit or change the ICE? ( I have a pioneer touch screen one)
Am a Vento TSI DSG Owner, hence can answer the above 3.

1. ESP is a safety feature, difficult to assign a worth to it. Like seat belts and airbags, can be a potential life saver in an unfortunate situation or maneuver. So in my mind definitely worth.

2. Hill Hold is a very useful feature. While in manuals it is relatively easy for an above average driver to prevent roll back on an incline, it becomes more tricky in an AT. The Hill Hold benefit is really felt in such situations -especially if you are stopped on a steep incline with cars ahead and behind you (Say the steep ramp of a mall). You have plenty of time to take the leg of the brake and begin accelerating.

3. You can. Need to see if the specific model you have is compatible, but in general there are lot of ICE units compatible/Built specifically for VW/Skoda Cars. There is a small concern about warranty issues if this is done even though there is no wire cutting/splicing involved.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 19:26   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Am a Vento TSI DSG Owner, hence can answer the above 3.

1. ESP is a safety feature, difficult to assign a worth to it. Like seat belts and airbags, can be a potential life saver in an unfortunate situation or maneuver. So in my mind definitely worth.
Yeah what I meant, if anybody has experienced it in real time during over/under steer due to turning or sudden maneuver and how it behaves actually. Feature wise good, but the problem is, it's only with DSG.

Quote:
2. Hill Hold is a very useful feature. While in manuals it is relatively easy for an above average driver to prevent roll back on an incline, it becomes more tricky in an AT. The Hill Hold benefit is really felt in such situations -especially if you are stopped on a steep incline with cars ahead and behind you (Say the steep ramp of a mall). You have plenty of time to take the leg of the brake and begin accelerating.
Agree with you as one doesn't have the luxury of controlling the clutch/accelerator in Auto mode (and hence probably it's available in AT only). Again would like to know if anybody has used/experienced this feature in actual conditions.

Quote:
3. You can. Need to see if the specific model you have is compatible, but in general there are lot of ICE units compatible/Built specifically for VW/Skoda Cars. There is a small concern about warranty issues if this is done even though there is no wire cutting/splicing involved.
If at all Rapid, I certainly need to change the ICE, due to reasons, poor audio quality in calls, no phone book through ICE, I guess it's only audio and not video capable etc.

Thanks for your quick response Rajeev.
Old 6th October 2015, 19:42   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you as one doesn't have the luxury of controlling the clutch/accelerator in Auto mode (and hence probably it's available in AT only). Again would like to know if anybody has used/experienced this feature in actual conditions.
Sure. I use Hill Hold all the time. It senses the incline and kicks in once the brake is pressed to a particular extent. Examples:

From the ramp of my apartment-which is steep and opens straight into a busy road. This means more often than not, I need to stop halfway up the ramp.

During any visit to places with basement parking.

Use case with the biggest benefit I encountered. Trip to Nandi Hills- Stuck in a major jam at the steepest point at the top. Most people struggling with the clutch and accel to prevent rollback. I calmly crawl along with the Hil Hold doing the job for me.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 20:10   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Hello happy DSG owners .. i am seriously considering the Rapid DSG sometimes this year.
4. How powerful is the projector headlamp and any possibility to upgrade the bulb? Considering lot of highway and remote area driving, what would be the possibility of getting a mechanic/DIY to help in case of any issues with the projector headlamp? (I mean changing of bulb etc.)
5. How much does the routine service cost?
6. How effective the road side assistance is (if anybody has availed it)
The Rapid DSG was the second last contender in my shortlist, and remained that way till the day I decided to pull the trigger on NEXA

Here are my impressions,

4. The projector headlamps are substantially better for night driving in comparison with the traditional bulb fitment. The best thing is Skoda even offers that as a standard accessory with warranty at the dealership level. I don't think it's something a normal multi-car service center cannot handle.

5. My colleague has completed one year and clocked about 9000 KMS. His first annual service cost him 7000 INR.

Good luck on your hunt!

Last edited by pannags : 6th October 2015 at 20:16.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 11:31   #128

Congratulations on your new Rapid and welcome to "Rapid" family.
Rapid is impeccable at gear shifts and such a smoothness is a dream of any manual transmitter. Keep an eye to unscientific speed breakers across.
" go miles to cherish smiles"
Old 20th May 2016, 20:24   #129
BHPian

Hi Rajeevraj, I too am planning to buy the DSG (diesel) variant soon. Request if you and other DSG owners can update their experiences with the car. It will be of great help.

Last edited by kapilsharma80 : 20th May 2016 at 20:26.
Old 20th May 2016, 20:58   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
Hi Rajeevraj, I too am planning to buy the DSG (diesel) variant soon. Request if you and other DSG owners can update their experiences with the car. It will be of great help.
Mine is the Petrol Vento TSI DSG and not the diesel. Has been 2.5 years ~28K Km, mostly uneventful ownership experience. Have kept my ownership report up to date. Have documented most of my feedback and inputs and experiences till now.

Thread Link

Hope it helps.
Old 21st May 2016, 00:28   #131
BHPian

Thanks Rajeevraj and details noted !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks