Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2015, 09:15   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If the SA can dampen and arrest the rattle then no issues.

If not you'll need to do it yourself. Which is a bit risky but a good FNG that does see VW cars should be able to the job better. A rubber packing is what that could be needed to arrest the vibration/rattle.
But I am in a dilemma whether I should try dampen the rattle by manipulating the cluster or claim warranty. I don't want to play around with a new car. But I am not sure whether I will get warranty for this.
Old 4th January 2015, 16:36   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post

But I am in a dilemma whether I should try dampen the rattle by manipulating the cluster or claim warranty. I don't want to play around with a new car. But I am not sure whether I will get warranty for this.
Warranty claim is a better option, let the ASC do their efforts. If they fail then venture out or do some jugaad and put some rubber to dampen the vibration.
Old 4th January 2015, 20:08   #33
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo 1.5 - Rattling Instrument Cluster

Where is the cluster rattling? Is it the entire cluster itself (the two Torx screws might be loose; highly doubt that though) or the clear glass (the tabs might be loose and have not secured properly)?

Refer it to the service center and if all else fails, it is easy to remove the cluster and check it yourself. Refer this link.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 20:33   #34
BANNED

1. Rattles like the type described by you are best left untouched unless the source of the rattle is specifically identified. Trial and error rattle resolution will only result in additional problems being created for you.

2. Rattles are covered by warranty to the extent they have to be stopped by the ASC. This does not mean that they will give you a new dashboard. It only means that they will play around with your dashboard in the guise of stopping the rattle and most probably create a lot more problems for you (as mentioned in (1) above).

3. As of now, it is best not to do anything. Wait until the source of noise can be easily identified. Minor niggles such as this come with every car.

Don't convert it into a major one.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 20:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Where is the cluster rattling? Is it the entire cluster itself (the two Torx screws might be loose; highly doubt that though) or the clear glass (the tabs might be loose and have not secured properly)?

Refer it to the service center and if all else fails, it is easy to remove the cluster and check it yourself. Refer this link.
I am not able to make out the exact cause of the rattling. But when i apply pressure against the clear glass area, it subsides. Is there any possibility that the clear glass is loosely adherent to the remaining assembly? I meant to say that is the cluster a single piece or can it be dismantled? I had already shown to service center and they said to look into during the service interval. Mean while i checked your thread too. But i am not that confident in doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
1. Rattles like the type described by you are best left untouched unless the source of the rattle is specifically identified. Trial and error rattle resolution will only result in additional problems being created for you.

2. Rattles are covered by warranty to the extent they have to be stopped by the ASC. This does not mean that they will give you a new dashboard. It only means that they will play around with your dashboard in the guise of stopping the rattle and most probably create a lot more problems for you (as mentioned in (1) above).

3. As of now, it is best not to do anything. Wait until the source of noise can be easily identified. Minor niggles such as this come with every car.

Don't convert it into a major one.
Yeah, Even i am inclined to your suggestion. But how will i get rid of this rattle? I can't tolerate these kind of niggles in a new car. Even i had faced a rattling issue in my i20 during the initial few months from the dashboard area but was not able to identify the source. Later I came to know that it was the IRVM which was the cause and after replacing it was peaceful. The rattle is not at all a minor one. Its really irritating. My SA is also suggesting not to play with it. The most funniest part is even he is not confident to give it to the service guys.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th January 2015 at 21:34.
Old 4th January 2015, 20:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Minor niggles such as this come with every car.
Thats true, no car is perfect and no car stays perfect in usage, in the end its a machine and with usage especially on bad roads minor issues like some plastic part rattling might crop up.

My opinion too is the same as quoted above, if the issue is not major just leave it, or else try to address it on your own when you get time. Gannu's thread have the details to get you started.

I used to want to have the perfect car, then i thought my car needn't be as i'm not But doesn't mean that i treat or keep my car shabby, i take very good care of it but stops short of wanting it to be perfect.

Anyway its your car and decision, if you take it to the service center they will disassemble the factory installed dash/console and they may or may not do a good job about it and you may have to take it back again.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 15:54   #37
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline

Quote:
The rattle is not at all a minor one. Its really irritating.
Possible to capture it in a short video clip? Please do if you can and share the Youtube URL here.
Old 5th January 2015, 19:08   #38
BHPian

Best fuel efficiency recorded till date.
Less traffic + 30km state highway stretch + 30-40 KMPH + Less gear shifts + Massive low end torque + 1.5 TDI = 37.7 KMPL
Attached Thumbnails
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-10361510_10202448450891222_8551318457782506347_n.jpg  

nidhinsarath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 19:33   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Best fuel efficiency recorded till date.
Less traffic + 30 km state highway stretch + 30-40 KMPH + Less gear shifts + Massive low end torque + 1.5 TDI = 37.7 KMPL
Sorry to use the emotion:

For 30 kms you were on this speed to achieve this figure of 37 kmpl??

1000 RPM in 5th gear @ 35 kmph is BAD. You are lugging the engine very badly, it may have great low-end torque but the engine wasn't comfortable at this RPM:speed combo, Am I right? Wasn't it shuddering?

IMO, please don't try this again.

EDIT: Look at the Gear shift indicator. Shift to 3rd gear!

NOTE: No offence to you buddy.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th January 2015 at 19:36.
Old 5th January 2015, 19:50   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sorry to use the emotion:

For 30 kms you were on this speed to achieve this figure of 37 kmpl??

1000 RPM in 5th gear @ 35 kmph is BAD. You are lugging the engine very badly, it may have great low-end torque but the engine wasn't comfortable at this RPM:speed combo, Am I right? Wasn't it shuddering?

IMO, please don't try this again.

NOTE: No offence to you buddy.
No, not at all. I never mentioned that i was maintaining this speed and gear through out. First of all it was not at all a pre planned drive. I was a little early today, so i was driving in a sedate manner. I don't know the exact rpm and speed of the vehicle when i covered this stretch. But i can tell you one thing, i was not at all lugging the engine and i really hate people doing the same. The engine was never shuddering and i had not allowed anyone to do so in any of the cars that I am in. Since my wife was trying to take a snap shot, i just left my foot from the throttle to give way for the proper snap.
nidhinsarath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 13:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I visited A.S.S. and on inspection the SA(Mr.Gokul) couldn't appreciate the rattle. He said he will look into it during the 7500km service interval by removing the meter console. If its only from the cover then it can be dampened with some soft stuffs but if it comes from the console, then he said to claim warranty for the meter console.
BTW I added an additional horn today, a low pitch one from the A.S.S. Now by hearing the horn, enthusiasts can make out that there is a VW nearby.
To be frank, i would strongly suggest all new VW owners to go for this upgrade. The sound of the horn is really awesome.
Price: Rs.2686/-
Congratulations on the Tsi!! Im sure you cant get enough of it already.

My Tsi is nearly 3 months and 5000 kms old now. Im expecting the 7500kms landmark in mid feb. I have had this nagging rattling issue since the first time i ever drove it on a rough patch. Seems like its not a uncommon issue. Will update you if i find any resolution.
inomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 16:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inomad View Post
Congratulations on the Tsi!! Im sure you cant get enough of it already.

My Tsi is nearly 3 months and 5000 kms old now. I'm expecting the 7500kms landmark in mid feb. I have had this nagging rattling issue since the first time i ever drove it on a rough patch. Seems like its not a uncommon issue. Will update you if i find any resolution.
Hi, Thanks inomad but mine is a TDI and not TSI. Regarding the rattling, if its a common issue then we are on the safer side. Atleast we can claim for warranty. But we have to properly diagnose the cause before heading forward.
Old 7th January 2015, 14:58   #43
BHPian

There is a problem in my car which i forgot to mention. Usually all the doors in VW cars close with a 'thud' note and there is no need for an extra force to close it. Just a slight push will close the door. But in my car this is not happening. The door close with a thud but i have to give some force to close it firmly. When i raised this with the SA, he said it is due to the vacuum created inside the cabin. He showed me how easily it closes when another door or window is opened. But in my friend's Vento the door closes firmly with a slight push. What could be the reason and what can be done to overcome it?
Old 13th February 2015, 20:19   #44
BHPian

Today I swapped the stock IRVM with Gentex auto dimming mirror and upgraded the headlight knob with an auto option. The mirror quality is excellent and it gives a premium feel to the cabin. But there is no rear cover for the mirror to hide the wiring.

Auto function activates the headlamp when darkness falls and it also has a coming and leaving home lights. But in the new polo, only the park light activates instead of the headlamps in the previous versions. I will check out the functioning of this swap tonight. I am in a dilemma whether to go ahead with this or change over to a euro spec tail lamps.
Old 13th February 2015, 22:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I swapped the stock IRVM with Gentex auto dimming mirror and upgraded the headlight knob with an auto option. The mirror quality is excellent and it gives a premium feel to the cabin. But there is no rear cover for the mirror to hide the wiring.

Auto function activates the headlamp when darkness falls and it also has a coming and leaving home lights. But in the new polo, only the park light activates instead of the headlamps in the previous versions. I will check out the functioning of this swap tonight. I am in a dilemma whether to go ahead with this or change over to a euro spec tail lamps.

Need detailed 'how to' post pls with pictures. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks