Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2015, 00:06   #46
BANNED

My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Today I swapped the stock IRVM with Gentex auto dimming mirror and upgraded the headlight knob with an auto option. ps.:l

Would love to hear about all the details. Coming home leaving home lights can be activated using VCDC. Try that. I thought that the connector was different for the light switch.
What was the price of the gentex mirror?
$150?
I'll be getting a magnetic sunblind for the rear to help with the high beam idiots.

Quote:
i have to give some force to close it firmly.

Cheap build quality on the facelift is to blame. Check any pre facelift polo. They close in a smooth way. Now they're pretty pathetic.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 14th February 2015 at 00:08.
Old 15th February 2015, 10:54   #47
BHPian

Auto dimming mirror and headlamp knob with auto option

A few pics of the latest upgrades as mentioned earlier.
Auto rotatory knob
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2758.jpg
Knob in park mode
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2761.jpg
Night view
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2757.jpg

Functions:
1. Auto park light and headlamp activation according to light intensity
2. Coming and leaving home lights (Only park lights) on locking and unlocking. It fades off after a few seconds.

Gentex auto dimming rearview mirror
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2771.jpg
Night view
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2775.jpg
Rearview with exposed wires which I didn't like though
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2769.jpg
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2767.jpg
nidhinsarath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 11:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

The mirror really looks nice, but apart from taking care of the glare does it provide a better view compared to the stock one. I feel, for glare a 3M sunflim would be a much cheaper option. Same mirrors, I think, comes standard in i20. VW should make these standard on polo - a premium hatch .
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 11:42   #49
BANNED

My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline

Yes, the i20 does get the same auto dimming mirror.
A sunfilm that is dark enough to prevent glare would be :
1. Illegal
2. Menace in night driving

EDIT: Have you installed the light/rain sensor? If so, try activating the settings from VCDS. no reason that the lights shouldn't work apart from the parking ones as coming/leaving.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 15th February 2015 at 11:46.
Old 15th February 2015, 11:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
A sunfilm that is dark enough to prevent glare would be :
1. Illegal
2. Menace in night driving
CR-70 will not take care of the glares? Ya, dark sunfilms are not good .
Old 15th February 2015, 23:25   #51
BHPian

Re: My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
The mirror really looks nice, but apart from taking care of the glare does it provide a better view compared to the stock one.
The mirror has a wider field of view than the stock mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Have you installed the light/rain sensor? If so, try activating the settings from VCDS. no reason that the lights shouldn't work apart from the parking ones as coming/leaving.
I just swapped the knob and added an auto headlamp module. Sugesh (Vagtune) asked for a week time to grasp the correct coding for activating the headlamps instead of park lights. If it doesn't work, I will swap this with some other mods
Old 17th February 2015, 15:30   #52
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.5 - Rattling Instrument Cluster

Quote:
Keeping aside all the pros of my Polo, I have an issue with the car from the day 2 of the delivery. There developed a rattle from the dashboard while the car goes through bad stretches especially over the uneven roads.

Earlier I couldn't appreciate the origin of the rattle but later, on repeated checks I found out that it's the front cover of the instrument cluster that irritates. Daily I have to cover around 8 km in an uneven road before entering into highway. So every day during this initial period the car rattles very badly and is really annoying me because I really don't like any kind of minute vibrations in my cars. The rattle stops once I press against the cover over the right corner bottom end. I had raised this issue with the S.A.( trust worthy guy Mr.Gokul) but he couldn't appreciate it during the TD. He advised to have a look into it during the 7500 km service interval by removing the cluster and checking the cause and any possibility to dampen the rattle. In the mean time I had discussed this issue in my ownership thread but the discussion didn't grow up. Even bhpians anshurao and mnitdevil have experienced the same issue.
My Polo highline( bought last tuesday) too chirps like yours :(. The instrument cluster is the culprit.
Old 17th February 2015, 17:29   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I visited A.S.S. and on inspection the SA(Mr.Gokul) couldn't appreciate the rattle. He said he will look into it during the 7500km service interval by removing the meter console. If its only from the cover then it can be dampened with some soft stuffs but if it comes from the console, then he said to claim warranty for the meter console.
BTW I added an additional horn today, a low pitch one from the A.S.S. Now by hearing the horn, enthusiasts can make out that there is a VW nearby.
To be frank, i would strongly suggest all new VW owners to go for this upgrade. The sound of the horn is really awesome.
Price: Rs.2686/-
Am sitting at VW gurgaon for my horn upgrade, sharing the details of yours. These guys have no clue on how to go about it. I am being updated that it won't work. Could you please advise if it was a straight plug and play or some software changes too were carried out to make the dual horns work?
Old 17th February 2015, 17:38   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hardcore View Post
Am sitting at VW gurgaon for my horn upgrade, sharing the details of yours. These guys have no clue on how to go about it. I am being updated that it won't work. Could you please advise if it was a straight plug and play or some software changes too were carried out to make the dual horns work?
Unless you intend to splice the stock harness, you will need a dual horn harness like this:

My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-dualhornharness.jpg

And an additional bracket and nut to mount it to the existing one:

My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-69a5713b651fd94778e82f0966bb63f7.png

Image source: Google

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th February 2015 at 17:40.
Old 17th February 2015, 22:39   #55
BHPian

Some more pics of the auto headlamp knob and the module
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2782.jpg
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2783.jpg
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2784.jpg
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2786.jpg
Price: 9500/-
Source: Vagtune
Old 18th February 2015, 11:22   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Price: 9500/-
Source: Vagtune
Man, that is a ripoff!

The same module costs less than Rs. 4k landed from Aliexpress (link). Pretty sure Sugesh gets his stuff for a lot cheaper since he imports them in bulk from China.

Such a simple DIY as well - take out the stock headlight connector, plug the stock connector to the box, route the sensor to the bottom of the driver-side A-pillar, mount the box, connect the new headlight switch to this box. That's it.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 11:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Man, that is a ripoff!

The same module costs less than Rs. 4k landed from Aliexpress Pretty sure Sugesh gets his stuff for a lot cheaper since he imports them in bulk from China.

Such a simple DIY as well - take out the stock headlight connector, plug the stock connector to the box, route the sensor to the bottom of the driver-side A-pillar, mount the box, connect the new headlight switch to this box. That's it.
Oh . I had no info about this. That was a pure daylight robbery.
Old 19th February 2015, 14:29   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Unless you intend to splice the stock harness, you will need a dual horn harness like this:

Attachment 1340968

And an additional bracket and nut to mount it to the existing one:

Attachment 1340969

Image source: Google
Arranged a concall between VW gurgaon and service advisor from Apple Auto Banglore ( Mr Saddam, he was too supportive and clear on process), still these guys can't carry it out and are giving all possible excuses varying from load on wiring, short circuits and fire.

Has someone in Delhi NCR got the additional horn installed? if yes, please help.
Old 21st February 2015, 18:19   #59
BHPian

10000 km Update

Today my polo crossed 10000 km in a span of four months and 20 days. After the 7500 km service, the vehicle has become even smoother than before. The new 1.5 engine is a welcome move from VW. It gives a wonderful performance and better efficiency. The ride quality and performance has increased remarkably too.
My Glistening Night Blue VW Polo 1.5 TDi Highline-imag2794.jpg
nidhinsarath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 20:08   #60
BHPian

Hi I am in process of purchasing a VW Polo TDi Highline 1.5 Metallic Grey (fyi..I forgot what VW calls it every car company has their own take on colors).

I just wanted to know how much would it cost to add a backup camera in the new Polo? and would it be as good as say the hyundai elite i20 camera. For me, this is a glaring omission on the top end model. None of the VWs have a backup camera in their top models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks