Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 17:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Thank you and your concern is correct.
Like you,ever since the day we drove the car home, I have been thinking about situations when it could be unsafe to have smart key in or out of the car and how best to avoid unsafe situations.
You have pointed out Scenario 1. I almost drove away in a similar situation with the car once without the smart key. I had given the car to Carz Spa, Mangalore for Paint Protection Coating within a week of delivery. After the treatment was done, the key was lying in a box near the car. The technician who did the treatment, simply walked into the car and drove it out to the parking (the key still lying in the box inside the workshop). Having thought of such scenarios earlier, I checked for the key and asked the technician about it. He sheepishly smiled and ran back to get the key.
Scenario 2 that I was think about was what if on a hot day, you've parked the car somewhere with your family inside and you step out of the car to grab something quickly from a near by shop, keeping the car & A/C on. To avoid the Key out alarm, you ask one of your passengers to hold on to the key and ask them to lock the car from inside. I was wondering in such a scenario if anyone could come and open the door using the request button on the door handle, as the smart key is nearby(inside). Logic would say that the door should open but Thankfully, in such a case, the door cannot be opened from the outside using the request button. It will only open if the door is unlocked by the remote. Verified it myself.
The request sensor does not work when the key is inside the car. It should be outside the car and within 0.7m from the sensor is what I remember from the instructions manual. Correct me if I am wrong.
fazonater1911 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 14:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
....You have pointed out Scenario 1. I almost drove away in a similar situation with the car once without the smart key. I had given the car to Carz Spa, Mangalore for Paint Protection Coating within a week of delivery. After the treatment was done, the key was lying in a box near the car. The technician who did the treatment, simply walked into the car and drove it out to the parking (the key still lying in the box inside the workshop). Having thought of such scenarios earlier, I checked for the key and asked the technician about it. He sheepishly smiled and ran back to get the key....
In such a case, wont the inbuilt immobilizer kick in after some set time/distance and kill the engine altogether? Even on cars with just remote locking, there is a sensor in the car and it continuously communicates with another sensor in the key fob. If the signal from the keyfob gets cut, then the ECU is programmed to cut fuel to the engine. In my 2011 i20, the SA, during purchase told me that the maximum distance anyone with pirated/copied key can drive in such scenario is 1km.

I am sure Hyundai would have thought of such scenarios and many more as well and designed the system accordingly.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 09:25   #18
BHPian

Congrats for buying Grandi10. I too got the car on December 26th . The ownership review was very well written with lot of pictures and it will help the prospective buyers. Wish you many more happy miles ahead.

Quote:
nicely designed leather wrapped Steering Wheel.....I go another leather cover fitted for the steering wheel which looks clumsy bit does the job of protecting the underlying leather
It's very nice to hold the leather wrapped steering wheel and my personal opinion is another leather cover not required as it spoils the comfort and the looks.

Quote:
The car went in for the first service
What were the jobs carried out for the general check up ?

Quote:
I almost drove away in a similar situation with the car once without the smart key
Is it possible ? You cannot switch on the ignition when the key is out and system will warn you with the "Key Out" symbol.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 18th February 2015 at 09:27.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 12:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
In such a case, wont the inbuilt immobilizer kick in after some set time/distance and kill the engine altogether?.
Quote:

I almost drove away in a similar situation with the car once without the smart key.
I was wondering in such a scenario if anyone could come and open the door using the request button on the door handle, as the smart key is nearby(inside).
Hi Friends,

Well with my Grand i10, I have tried all possibilities. Here are some scenarios.

I could not start the Car with keys in hand outside the open window. The Car sensor looks for frequency emitted from inside of Car.

It is very difficult to forget the keys outside the car and drive away the already started car as the key-out yellow light is quite catchy.

When the key inside the car, the request button is disabled and I could not lock the car from outside.

I could not open the boot from remote without opening the driver's door and when the engine was running. (much required for security check-up in mall parking)

Last edited by Wanderers : 19th February 2015 at 12:48.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 14:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
It's very nice to hold the leather wrapped steering wheel and my personal opinion is another leather cover not required as it spoils the comfort and the looks.
Yes and you are quite right. Also, the fitting of that cover is also not quite right in our car.
But that being said, I had a bad experience in our 2001 Accent GLX which came with a factory fitted grey leather wrapped steering wheel. Thanks a combination of heat and sweaty palms, the leather got damaged and started coming off slowly. When I asked at the workshop what could be done about it, I was told to either change the steering wheel or put a cover on it, as the were was no facility in Rajkot to replace or re-stitch the leather on the steering wheel. Since then, I've always insisted on putting on a steering wheel cover on our cars. Its better to replace the steering wheel cover than to replace the leather wrapped steering wheel itself.

Quote:
What were the jobs carried out for the general check up ?
Fluid level checks, whether all systems are working right, Pedal play etc.

Quote:
Is it possible ? You cannot switch on the ignition when the key is out and system will warn you with the "Key Out" symbol.
After your post, I was puzzled how the technician at Carz Spa managed to start the car, as the key was lying outside the car in a box( driver's window was open). Today I checked and you are right, the key has to be inside the car to start the car. Without it, even the audio won't start. But if the key is placed just outside the car, slightly above the lower window line and near the B-pillar, the car stared twice for me. Chances are something similar happened at Carz Spa Mangalore that day and the car started without the key being actually inside the car.

However, how far the car can be driven without the key and whether the security system will kill the engine in such a scenario, is something that has to be checked.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 19th February 2015 at 14:11.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 12:52   #21

belated wishes on the car. Had a query with the braking feel. Do you feel the brakes to be super responsive? Reason being after getting my sisters car serviced for 10K, brakes seem to be very responsive so much so that i need to be very careful not to let anyone rear end the car.
rock* is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 08:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock* View Post
Had a query with the braking feel. Do you feel the brakes to be super responsive? Reason being after getting my sisters car serviced for 10K, brakes seem to be very responsive so much so that i need to be very careful not to let anyone rear end the car.
Initially, may be yes, but not any more. As with any new car that you drive, it may take time to get adjusted to it and I have adjusted and am quite comfortable with the braking( I haven't had to brake hard so far to avoid any animals(both the four legged types and the rash two legged types on wheels!!!), so cannot say how stable the car will be, in case of sudden braking(to stop).

Anyway, after a service, where they check & tune up the car, brake pedals may have been adjusted in your sister's car(if play was above acceptable limits) and that may be the reason you are feeling the brakes to be very responsive?
Old 11th May 2015, 19:20   #23
MSC
BHPian

Hi dear.
First of all , congratulations for new set of wheels. I too was almost on verge of buying out a Grand I10 but due to some reasons had to postpone .
I had 3 queries regarding the Asta-O variant?
1. Asta-O is having keyless entry and push button for starting / stopping the engine. Does the Asta o has the regular key slot also to start the engine ? Because in case the battery of flippy key dies out, it will be very difficult to start the car.
2. If I am not wrong , just like other cars , Hyundai Grand I10 too has the 2nd spare key as the regular one . Is it true that the spare key is the ordinary one ?
3. Is it possible to deactivate the auto folding ORVM'S ? My garage is a bit smaller in size and if the ORVM'S keep on unfolding on unlocking , the mirrors will end up getting scratched.

Last edited by MSC : 11th May 2015 at 19:24.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 19:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Hi dear.
First of all , congratulations for new set of wheels. I too was almost on verge of buying out a Grand I10 but due to some reasons had to postpone .
I had 3 queries regarding the Asta-O variant?
1. Asta-O is having keyless entry and push button for starting / stopping the engine. Does the Asta o has the regular key slot also to start the engine ? Because in case the battery of flippy key dies out, it will be very difficult to start the car.
2. If I am not wrong , just like other cars , Hyundai Grand I10 too has the 2nd spare key as the regular one . Is it true that the spare key is the ordinary one ?
3. Is it possible to deactivate the auto folding ORVM'S ? My garage is a bit smaller in size and if the ORVM'S keep on unfolding on unlocking , the mirrors will end up getting scratched.
I have an Xcent, but the ORVMs don't fold automatically - as in switching off/on the engine. There is a electric button to be pressed, and only then the ORVMs will retract.

Last edited by DCEite : 11th May 2015 at 19:48.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 20:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Asta (o) doesn't have a regular key slot to start the engine. Spare key is not the ordinary one and it's as same as the regular one. For the scenario stated by you, just remove the mechanical key from the smart key by pressing the release button in the smart key. Now insert the mechanical key into the hole of the outside door handle to unlock the vehicle.

Quote:
Why you want to deactivate ? It is very useful for the scenarios stated by you. Grandi10 has got the ORVM folding button so that in tight parking space you can press the button and fold the ORVM. If you lock the car with the ORVM in the folded state, while unlocking the ORVM's won't unfold until you manually press the button.
Grand Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 11:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, The Asta(O) trim does not have a regular key slot to start the engine.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-no-key.jpg

This is what the manual says about starting the car in a scenario where the smart key battery is running low. The manual also states that the battery has a very long life.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-lowbatt.jpg

Quote:
The spare key is same as the primary- a smart key.

Quote:
It should be possible for the Hyundai workshop to deactivate it(as the lower trims do not have this feature). However, regarding at your concern, you can override the default ORVM unfolding action during unlocking by folding the mirrors electrically before parking the car in your garage.

Position 1 : Mirrors out, car is in unlocked state
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-1.jpg

Position 2 : Mirrors folded using the electrical ORVM fold switch, car is in unlocked state
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-2.jpg

Position 3 : Car locked using the remote
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-3.jpg

Position 4 : Car is unlocked using remote, mirrors don't unfold(as mirrors were folded using the mirror fold/unfold switch)
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-4.jpg

You can check this for yourself if you decide to take a TD of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I have an Xcent, but the ORVMs don't fold automatically - as in switching off/on the engine. There is a electric button to be pressed, and only then the ORVMs will retract.
MSC was talking about the default and automatic ORVM folding/unfolding action during remote locking/unlocking the Grand i10 Asta(O) trim. The highest trim of the Xcent [Probably SX(O)] would have this feature.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 12th May 2015 at 12:09.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 09:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Condensation/Fogging on the Headlamps

There seems to be condensation and fogging inside the headlamp clusters. Condensation & Fogging on the headlamp seems to be more on the passenger side than the driver'side.

Passenger side(Water droplets and fogging can be clearly seen)
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-1.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-1_1.jpg

Relatively less on the driver's side
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-2.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-2_2.jpg
Old 24th September 2015, 16:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

First Scratch - a pinprick straight to my heart
On the afternoon of 19th September,Saturday, an idiot lady driver in an Alto cut me from the left and took a wild right turn right in front of me at KPT junction in Mangalore. I had to brake hard and in order avoid hitting her, turned to the right and brushed against the road divider. My heart sank hearing the grinding sound of the car hitting concrete. The stupid lady sped off and disappeared, probably not even realising her driving rashness.

I parked the car to check on the damage. I was expecting a big dent, deep scratches and a huge repair bill.But the car took the impact quite while. The protective layer on the running board got scratched, scraped and paint chipped off from two spots. No dents. As I stood there, I felt a sense of relief and anger at the same time. Relief that the damage was not much and anger at that lady driver for her monkey tricks!!!
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-rebef.jpg

Anyway, after finishing off some work in the city, I drove over to Advaith Hyundai, Kuntikan, Mangalore to find out the estimated time of repairs and cost. I thought that the protective layer which got scratched would have to be removed completely and that it cannot be pasted back. Mr Sukesh, after consultation with someone from their bodyshop said that the Estimated time of repairs was two-three days costing around Rs 2500. Since it was a Saturday, I told them that I would leave the car on Monday.

On Monday morning I left the car at the workshop under Mr Pradeep & Mr Pranam's car. On Wednesday evening at 4 PM, I was told that the car was ready.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-rep.jpg

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-bill1.jpg

Total Repair Cost - Rs 2316.

I was extremely happy with the end result and another job well done by Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore
Old 25th September 2015, 18:38   #29
BHPian

Re: Condensation/Fogging on the Headlamps

Quote:
There seems to be condensation and fogging inside the headlamp clusters. Condensation & Fogging on the headlamp seems to be more on the passenger side than the driver'side.
I can confirm that this problem is there in my recently purchased Xcent. The fogging is evident and affects both the headlamps equally, especially after a drive in rain or car wash.

Have you spoken to the service centre about a possible rectification for this? I've had a bad experience that in my old Hyundai i10 the fogging ultimately led to the heated water drop particles from inside causing permanent damage to the clear glass. The lens became opaque and rough. It would be an expensive replacement at that time, outside of warranty. But in my Hyundai i10, it wasn't an inherent defect. It was due to a shoddy job by an after market bulb upgrade. The local guy had cut open the rear cover of the headlamp assembly and had not sealed it correctly.

However my Xcent is brand new, in its vanilla condition and is now at service centre on account of ABS failure. But I forgot to log this complaint about headlamp fogging, since other major issues are at stake. Thanks for mentioning this trouble
roby.thomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 11:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Condensation/Fogging on the Headlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
Have you spoken to the service centre about a possible rectification for this?
Yes, I have. I have showed the SA the headlamp fogging & condensation and even sent an e-mail with the photos clearly demonstrating the problem. I am waiting for their reply.

One of the first questions the SA asked me was whether any mods were done to the car/headlamps. To which I said no. He took photographs to be forwarded to Hyundai for warranty claim and possible replacement of both headlamp clusters.

After coming to know about this issue in your car, I wonder if this a widesprad problem affecting other Gi10s/Xcents and if replacement of headlamp clusters guarantees that the problem won't happen again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks