Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 11:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Condensation/Fogging on the Headlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
After coming to know about this issue in your car, I wonder if this a widesprad problem affecting other Gi10s/Xcents and if replacement of headlamp clusters guarantees that the problem won't happen again.
I've had a chat with my service advisor on Saturday about this problem, thanks to your post. He seems to be well aware of the fact that it happens with all of these vehicles, and according to him it's a no concern. He guarantees that it is not actually water seeping into it, but the humidity which causes the fogging . Now from your experience, it seems like there could be a few folks even in Hyundai who believes this shouldn't happen.

I never had this problem in any of the cars that I have driven around so far (except my old i10, but that's my mistake). Had this been a common factor of fogging due to humidity, I should have seen it in all of the cars of different manufacturers in the town.
roby.thomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 11:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I have. I have showed the SA the headlamp fogging & condensation and even sent an e-mail with the photos clearly demonstrating the problem. I am waiting for their reply.

One of the first questions the SA asked me was whether any mods were done to the car/headlamps. To which I said no. He took photographs to be forwarded to Hyundai for warranty claim and possible replacement of both headlamp clusters.

After coming to know about this issue in your car, I wonder if this a widesprad problem affecting other Gi10s/Xcents and if replacement of headlamp clusters guarantees that the problem won't happen again.
During my ownership of Grand i10, I had changed the bulbs 3 times ( another brand installation to replace OE, Ring Automotive defective bulbs and then finally the good set ). The fogging issue was not there.
A few of seniors and colleagues of mine also have grand i10 but are yet to face this fogging headlamp issue.

However, all, including me, complained of Fog Lamp having water droplet marks.
During my working to change bulbs, I found that Hyundai's headlamp insulation is pretty good, better than normal rubber sealing.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 16:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
I never had this problem in any of the cars that I have driven around so far (except my old i10, but that's my mistake). Had this been a common factor of fogging due to humidity, I should have seen it in all of the cars of different manufacturers in the town.
Agreed and clearly, it is abnormal, whether it is a design defect or whether a particular batch of cars got affected, that's for them to investigate. This is the first time I noticed such an issue in a car that we have owned. Even cars which we had for 5-6 years never had any such issue. Even our i10 has no such issue nor did our Santro or i20 before.

If they think it is normal and if that will be their stand, then thinking about it makes my mind float back to the horrible experiences with the dreaded i20 steering rattle; where they said it was normal and not to worry. Whereas the truth was that it was design defect and they had to rework the design of the i20's steering rack & column.

The worrying part for me is that the evaporated water droplets have left behind minute water marks on inner side of the glass, which can be seen when observed closely. Now imagine this happening over a period of time, such marks will be easily visible over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
During my ownership of Grand i10, I had changed the bulbs 3 times ( another brand installation to replace OE, Ring Automotive defective bulbs and then finally the good set ). The fogging issue was not there.
A few of seniors and colleagues of mine also have grand i10 but are yet to face this fogging headlamp issue.

However, all, including me, complained of Fog Lamp having water droplet marks.
During my working to change bulbs, I found that Hyundai's headlamp insulation is pretty good, better than normal rubber sealing.
The Fog lamp water leakage issue is a known one. I have started ignoring it, but of late, I have seen dirt marks inside the fog lamp housing, probably because of muddy rain water getting splashed under it/on it.Not sure what to do about it.
Old 2nd October 2015, 09:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Headlamps Changed under warranty

Another thing I noticed about the headlamp fogging/condensation was that the passenger side headlamp, where fogging & condensation was more, the glass seemed to have faded a bit and lost a bit of its clarity(due to dried water droplet marks and/or dust inside the H/L cluster):
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20151001_092347621_hdr.jpg

Thanks to the followup done by Mr Pradeep Kumar, our SA from Advaith Hyundai, Yesterday, both headlamp clusters were changed under warranty. On the previous day, I was asked by the Works Manager, Mr Shashikanath Shetty to get the car to the workshop for checking & possible headlamp replacement. Will be keeping an eye on the headlamps if the issue crops back up again.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 09:18   #35
BHPian

Re: Headlamps Changed under warranty

Quote:
Yesterday, both headlamp clusters were changed under warranty.
That's good to know. So it is definitely a complaint, so I shall also ask for the same !
Old 30th December 2015, 11:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

1Year/2nd Free Service

1Year/2nd Free Service

The White Knight turned one on December 26th and due for its 2nd Free service. Dropped the car for servicing at Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore on December 28th under the care of our regular SA, Mr Pradeep Kumar K with the following issues (apart from servicing).

1. Rattle from the rear seat
2. Wind noise above 70 km/h

Got the car back at 5 PM in the evening with the both the above issues addressed.

The wind noise was due to misalignment of the rubber beading. Total bill was Rs 2484/-
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20151230_110544821.jpg

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20151228_174226118.jpg

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20151228_174240129.jpg

Improvised foot rest
One of the things I missed in the car was a foot rest. There is enough space to have one.
I had retained our old i20's 3D mats, which fitted perfectly on the Grand i10. Since it was built for the i20, it has a scoop on the driver's side mat for the i20's factory fitted foot rest. The underside of the mats are made of velcro which stick on to the car's carpet. I stuffed news paper in the empty space between the foot rest scoop and carpet and it now works as a makeshift and an effective foot rest.
It took a little while to get the perfect shape for the paper foot rest and to prevent it from fouling up with the clutch pedal.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20151229_171447081.jpg

Headlamp Fogging
The issue pointed earlier in the thread has re-surfaced with the new headlamp clusters.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20151216_161324764.jpg

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20151216_140735520.jpg

Since I forgot to to point this out that morning, I have been asked to get the car some other time for a checkup.

I suspect this is a design issue, since the fogging seems to start right at the inner edge of the headlamps and spreads inwards along the edges.
Old 31st January 2016, 17:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Headlamp Fogging issue

Two days ago, I took the car to the workshop(Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore) to have the headlamp fogging issue which started recurring (on the replaced set of headlamps).

After checking the headlamps, they said there was nothing wrong with the headlamps. There was no leakage nor was anything loose.

As of now, I will have to learn to live with this issue. Imagine a squeaky clean car with fogged headlamps, it spoils the ownership experience.

It is frustrating for me to see the fogged headlamps, but unlike the i20's steering rattle issue, I do not consider this to be serious enough to pursue with Hyundai further. As co-operative and supportive Advaith Hyundai has been, they are powerless to do anything about it, till a fix for this issue comes from the company itself.

I suspect its a design issue of the Grand i10's Headlamps that's causing this fogging, as none of the other Hyundais we own/owned previously have/had this issue.
Old 21st July 2016, 12:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

3rd Free Service

Third Free Service
The car was due for its Third Free service. Booked a service appointment at Advaith Hyundai, Kuntikana, Mangalore for July 19, 2016 at 9:30 AM. Requested that our regular SA, Mr Pradeep Kumar K be assigned to take care of the car. SMS confirmation confirmed the appointment date & time along with the requested SA's name.

Reached the workshop on time and our SA, Mr Pradeep Kumar K was waiting at the entrance. Apart from the service the following issues/jobs were requested:

1) Front wipers not wiping properly (probably worn out)
2) Noise from rear passenger door (needed lubrication)
3) Unsatisfactory A/C cooling.
4) Clutch Pedal felt a little loose.
5) Wheel Alignment & Balancing

I noticed that the security was putting on plastic covers on the steering wheel and the driver's seat while the job car was being filled. I was promised that the car will be ready for delivery by 4:30 PM.

By around 4 PM, I received an SMS that the car was ready and the total bill was Rs 4134/-.

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-bill.jpg

1> Both Front Wiper blades replaced
2> Rear door noise gone after lubrication
3> A/C Filter Replaced
4> Clutch setting done
5> Transmission Oil Seal was replaced under warranty and mentioned on the bill (oil leakage was noticed during check up).

As expected, the car has become much smoother now after the service. The car has done 16,487 kms so far and I am happy to report that the car has had no major issues and does not seem to have any rattles , neither in the cabin nor from the steering or suspension.

The promptness and quality of service of Advaith Hyundai has become so good that I don't feel the need to double check after the car has been delivered. It is a given that any reported issue will be fixed by them. Kudos to them, specially to Mr Pradeep who takes his job very seriously and makes sure all complaints are attended to.

Vintage Cars on display at Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore
Also noticed that Advaith had put up two vintage cars for display in their showroom - 1948 models of Chevrolet & Humber. Both cars are a part of Advaith groups owner's personal collection. Mr Pradeep told me proudly that he worked on those cars during restoration when he was based in Bangalore and said both cars are roadworthy. Both cars have been detailed and restored beautifully with extreme love and care. Even the speedometer and all other gauges and dials have been restored and look brand new.

The Chevrolet reminded me of those old 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Taxis that I used to see in Vanthali near Junagadh, Gujarat till around 2008-2009.

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20160719_181931321.jpg

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20160719_181921456.jpg

Steering Controls - Tripmeter light stopped working
Somewhere in April 2016, the Tripmeter light on steering mounted controls stopped working.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-settering-wheel.jpg

This is what it looked like at night:
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-gi10-strg-ctnrnight.jpg

I took the car to Advaith Hyundai, Baikampady to have the issue rectified. The entire button set(Volume, Mite, Mode,Next/Pre track, Call receive/disconnect, Reset & Tripmeter) has to be repalced. The same was replaced under warranty and the set took a week to arrive.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 21st July 2016 at 12:41.
Old 15th November 2016, 12:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2

Have noticed something very weird with the car and this has happened twice now.

After pressing the engine start button (with the clutch fully depressed), the car went into a continuous crank mode without the engine starting. As if someone was again and again trying to crank start the car and the engine was not responding. Even after taking off my finger from the start/stop button, the cranking continued. Only after I pressed the start/stop button again(engine stop), did the cranking stop. Almost immediately, I tried a restart and the engine started normally. It happened again today( two days after the first incident).

I want to have it checked but chances are I will not a be able to re-create this incident in the service station because the car seems to be cranking normally and the engine is starting. Has anyone faced the same issue so far?
Old 11th December 2016, 12:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Engine Start/Stop Button Issue
Further to my earlier post about the engine start/stop button, the issue hapened agai nyesterday. On pressing the Engine Start/Stop button to start the engine (after depressing the clutch fully), the car went into a continuous crank mode (with out the engine starting). Pressing the Engine Start /Stop button stopped the continuous crank. Next attempt, it started working fine.

Yellow Key warning/Fuel tank level drop
Three days ago, the car was running normally in the 3rd gear. Suddenly I felt a jerk, as if the engine stalled. But the engine was running fine with the RPM hovering around 1200 and the car moving forward. In the speedometer, the yellow key warning light came on(as shown in the picture below) and the fuel tank level suddenly dropped to empty (from 1/4th tank full) and the yellow fuel low warning light came on. None of the other warning lights came on.

For a second or two, I couldn't make out what was happening. I pulled over to the roadside, switched off the engine and re-started. The yellow key light disappeared and Yellow Fuel low light also went out but the fuel tank reading was still showing tank to be empty. Wondering how could 1/4th tank worth of petrol suddenly go up in fumes, I thought of driving to the nearest fuel station to fill up petrol(which was around 15-20 kms away). As I was driving, I noticed the fuel needle slowly creeping back up. As I was nearing the fuel station, I noticed the fuel level was almost back to its original 1/4 the level (took nearly half an hour for it to climb up to 1/4th from Empty!!!).

EPS Motor malfunction
EPS motor has malfunctioned. The steering wheel which makes a grinding noise when turning it at parking speeds.

Had the car checked at Advaith Hyundai, Kuntikan and my SA, Mr Pradeep said that the EPS motor has malfunctioned and it will be replaced under warranty. The part wasn't in stock and has been ordered.

Arm Rest
I had got a generic arm rest for our Figo here . Found it to be quite comfortable to use. I enquired for a front driver's armrest from Car Decor, Mangalore and he said he had one for the Grand i10/Xcent as well for Rs 1300.
It sits wedged tightly in between the front seats. No drilling or screws were required and does not block the rear a/c vents. It extremely easy to remove or mount and doesn't rattle or squeak.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20161209_155106729.jpg

The top is slightly open because I had haphazardly kept my MMI navigator inside the storage.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20161209_155112798.jpg

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20161209_165229601_hdr.jpg

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20161209_165256486.jpg

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20161209_165323865.jpg

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20161209_165347305.jpg

Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20161209_165350989.jpg

Using the handbrake can be a little hard, but not something because of which I have to get rid of the arm rest.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-img_20161209_165409776.jpg
Old 16th February 2017, 13:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

First Paid/ 30,000 kms service

Got the car back after its first paid service (30,000 kms service). Last service was at 16,487 kms and it periodic 10,000 kms service was due as per the odometer reading.

Booked a service appointment for February 14th and dropped at the car at Advaith Hyundai, Kuntikana and our SA, Mr Pradeep Kumar was there to attend the car.

Other than the normal service, other complaints were:
1. Steering noise (as mentioned in my previous post). Inspite of changing the EPS motor, the same sound cropped up a week after replacement.
2. Left turn indicator in the headlamp not working, which was causing the left ORVM mounted & left tail light indicators to blink at a very fast blinking rate.

The car would have been ready the same evening but because of the steering noise, they needed an additional day to check the issue.

Got the car back on February 15th evening and total bill came to be Rs 10,278/-.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-scan_1.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-scan_2.jpg

After the service, the car is as smooth as new. I forgot to mention about the occasional brake noise from the rear brakes. That seems to have been taken care of in the service.
Steering noise- some adjustments were made in the steering and the noise is no longer there
Left H/L Indicator not working - loose connection. works fine now.

After nearly 27,000 kms on the odometer, the Car's Fuel efficiency with A/C on all the time is hovering between 12.5-14.0 km/l in a mix of city & highway driving. It has never gone down below 12.5 in any of the tank fills.
Old 16th February 2017, 14:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

That bill seems inflated! Following items seem unnecessary, unless you specifically asked for them:
  1. Decarbonising - Rs 1800
  2. Oil supplement - Rs 388
  3. Consumables (care plus) - Rs 226
  4. Brake bleeding - Rs 335
  5. Battery output checking - Rs 125
  6. Caliper pin greasing - Rs 170

I am not sure what oil supplement is. Did the SA explain this to you during delivery? Same for "Care plus" consumables. Note that Brake bleeding, Battery condition checking & caliper pin greasing are not mentioned in labor charges on Hyundai's website.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 11:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
That bill seems inflated! Following items seem unnecessary, unless you specifically asked for them:
I am not sure what oil supplement is. Did the SA explain this to you during delivery? Same for "Care plus" consumables. Note that Brake bleeding, Battery condition checking & caliper pin greasing are not mentioned in labor charges on Hyundai's website.
  1. Decarbonising - Rs 1800 - Yes, I was asked by the SA if it needs to be done. As the car is in its third year of ownership and has clocked nearly 27k kms, I opted for it. Pickup of the car has improved greatly. I remember getting this done on our i20 at 30k kms service as well. These are probably a part of preventive maintenance to ensure smooth running of the engine. I don't really mind paying for it, as the one thing that remained smooth as new in our old, troubled i20, was its engine.
  2. Oil supplement - Rs 388 - It apparently is added with the engine oil. Did not mind it.
  3. Consumables (care plus) - Rs 226 - Wiper fluid + other consumables during service.
  4. Brake bleeding - Rs 335 - Last time when I had complained about the steering noise, I had also complained about the brake pedal being a little sticky sometimes. As the service was due soon, it was pushed back to the service date.
  5. Battery output checking - Rs 125- wasn't asked for it. But they did it. I had pointed out earlier that the the engine had gone into a continuous crank mode after pressing the engine start button(this had happened twice). On checking, they found the battery water level was slightly low. More of a preventive checkup and it was probably the reason for the continuous crank.
  6. Caliper pin greasing - Rs 170- This is done with most Hyundai cars. This was always done during each service with my earlier i20. This is done to fix a rattle that develops in brake calipers over time(and the rattling sound is somewhat similar to the infamous Hyundai steering rattle)

As far as trust goes, I trust our SA, Mr Pradeep Kumar, completely. Point Nos. 4 & 5 were done based on an earlier complaint, which I forgot to mention while giving the car for service and he made sure those issues were checked and corrected. If he really had to inflate the bill or wanted to cheat me, he could easily have added the charge of a new indicator bulb as well. I was prepared for it as I thought the bulb had fused out. But on checking he found the bulb to be ok.

He has been good to me and has been our SA since 2013. He has sometimes gone of out of his way to procure small replacement parts for our car, which some of other Hyundai workshops refused to, citing various reasons like such parts cannot be replaced, cannot be ordered or not in stock. Unlike my experience with other Hyundai SAs(this includes some absolutely useless ones in Gujarat), he is quite experienced,knowledgeable, extremely polite and sees to it that all problems in the car are fixed.

I had also asked for wheel alignment & balancing to be done at the ASC, which further added to the bill. May be some of those things were not necessary, but if extra on the bill means the car is in good hands at the ASC, is checked properly and is in top shape after coming out, I don't mind paying a premium for it.
Old 17th February 2017, 11:55   #44
BHPian

Dear skanchan95 can you please tel me that what is that rust lick spray and where they used it.
Old 17th February 2017, 15:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Decarbonising - Rs 1800 - Yes, I was asked by the SA if it needs to be done. As the car is in its third year of ownership and has clocked nearly 27k kms, I opted for it. Pickup of the car has improved greatly.
Decarbonizing is not required for a petrol engine at 27k.
Quote:
Oil supplement - Rs 388 - It apparently is added with the engine oil. Did not mind it.
Again engine oil additives are not required, and some of the manufacturers recommend not to use them as they might alter the lubrication properties and may cause permanent damage to engine.
Quote:
Consumables (care plus) - Rs 226 - Wiper fluid + other consumables during service.
You have been already charged for Wurth screen wash in the bill.
Quote:
Brake bleeding - Rs 335 - Last time when I had complained about the steering noise, I had also complained about the brake pedal being a little sticky sometimes. As the service was due soon, it was pushed back to the service date.
PMS charges cover brake bleeding, front brakes cleaning, coolant change, caliper pin greasing. You have been charged separately for each one of them.
Quote:
Battery output checking - Rs 125- wasn't asked for it. But they did it. I had pointed out earlier that the the engine had gone into a continuous crank mode after pressing the engine start button(this had happened twice). On checking, they found the battery water level was slightly low. More of a preventive checkup and it was probably the reason for the continuous crank.
Battery checking is a part of PMS.
Quote:
Caliper pin greasing - Rs 170- This is done with most Hyundai cars. This was always done during each service with my earlier i20. This is done to fix a rattle that develops in brake calipers over time(and the rattling sound is somewhat similar to the infamous Hyundai steering rattle)
This is one of the biggest scams. This is a five minute job and removing the front wheels and inspecting the front brakes and cleaning them is a part of paid service.

Even if you had agreed for engine decarbonizing, consumables, caliper pin greasing, battery check, coolant change, brake bleeding, front brake cleaning charges are unjustified as these are a part of PMS. Dealers have made this a practice to make extra bucks.

Last edited by PraNeel : 17th February 2017 at 15:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks