Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 22:05   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Congrats mate. And an awesome report too. Rated 5 stars .
Thanks a lot mate, for the kind words and the 5 stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by binish View Post
Congratulations graaja.

I read the entire report. very very detailed. I am waiting for my GT Tsi's delivery and hence was super excited to go through the various features. The way details are expressed with photo gives a very good idea to the readers.

Your enthusiasm has deleted all my suspicions and doubts regarding VW issues, and I am now double excited to get the car in my hands.
Thank you for the kind words and wishes, binish. I am glad that the report was useful. Once you lay your hands on the GT, nothing else will matter. Wishing you a smooth delivery and tens of thousands of fun filled miles and smiles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Awesome ownership report! The car looks great and I feel that grey is the most suited color for Polo. The shade is just right and it goes along very well with the polo's matured minimalist design. All the very best with your new ride and wishing you many happy miles!!
Thank you very much for the kind words and wishes, Praveen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Lovely acquisition, and an equally passionate review.

Congratulations.

One observation though, based on my experience with ABS. IMO on gravel, its very hair raising and risky braking hard when on ABS. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes. On Gravel, ABS would definitely be scary, but locked wheels on gravel would be a bigger disaster. The main function of ABS is not just stop the car, but to maintain steerability of the car under slippery situation, be it gravel or wet road. When the wheels lock, you will totally lose steering control and will not be able to avoid any obstacles. However, ABS prevents wheel lock up and hence steering control will be retained. Though the stopping distance will be high, you will still be able to keep steering clear of obstacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Hearty congrats and welcome to the GT club, from one Ganesh to another!

Looks like the DSG box has spoiled you. A fuel-efficient diesel sedan for the long drives and a high-revving petrol hatchback for the city and day-to-day commutes. Lovely combination! Have fun and drive safe!

It used to be for the co-driver airbag deactivation switch and the TPMS' set switch. From the newer 6C models, the airbag deactivation switch has been relocated to the central dash.
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome to the GT club, Ganesh. Indeed, there seems to be a connection between me and the DSG, especially the DQ200. It is ironic that I had rejected Vento TSi (during the Jetta purchase adventure), just because of the unreliable DQ200, and now landed with the Polo TSi with the same DQ200. My only concern now is Jetta is going to lie idle waiting for those highway runs. I have to balance the miles between the two cars to keep them both happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post
Congratulations graaja and a very well written review. The car looks fantastic in this shade and wishing you many more happy miles

Some where in our forum it was mentioned that this is given to add controls for disabling the passenger side airbag. I guess i read it in some Ford Ecosport/Fiesta thread. Our guru's can confirm this .
Thank you for the kind words and wishes, RJ411. As Gannu has confirmed, looks like I was wrong about those dummy face plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Congratulations on the TSI! For a car that drives like a bullet (the projectile, not the bike), you've picked an appropriate colour. It looks phenomenal.
Thank you very much for the wishes, Arun. Looks like you and I were wrong about those dummy faceplates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth View Post
I hope you meant head-lights/side-lights/city-lights by parking lights?
It's not the same as an auto light switch, but there is an alarm if you open the driver door with key not inserted and any of the lights on. So safe to assume you wouldn't end up draining the battery at least.
I am not sure how it behaves for other doors, emergency lights etc.
In the head light assembly, there are a couple of lights that come on when we put the head light switch in the parking light position. These lights stay on when the head light switch is in On position and the key is removed. Yes. I today noticed the warning when you try to open the driver side door after removing the key, but without turning off the head light switch. As I have hearing loss, this warning is not strong enough and I would not notice this most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta_la_vista View Post
Congrats graaja sir on your GT TSI baby. The all black seat covers look hawt. Sun Enterprises had done a great job.

Happy motoring
Thank you very much for the wishes, Asta_la_vista!
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 23:26   #32
BHPian

re: Carbon Steel Grey VW Polo GT TSI comes home! EDIT: 10000 km up + OEM bi-xenon headlamps upgrade!

That's one hot hatch you have got. Indeed, the VW drama will continue for sometime but for all the alleged cheats they've used they surely make some solid long lasting cars. I like the way that you prioritize safety features. Its a simple case that India was neglected for a long time and the cars offered were heavily stripped down versions of their European counterparts without the absolutely necessary bells and whistles.

Even in countries like Indonesia, the cars get alloys as a standard(just how long we will have to cope up with steel rims) that's irritating to some extent. Also, the car specs you see on auto magazines hardly make their way into the final product which is sold here.
Raulspace999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 10:27   #33
BHPian

Congratulations graaja on your recent buy. You are going to be spoilt for choices between these two fantastic cars!

Good luck on your forthcoming mods, which I'm sure is works in progress.
ventoman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Driving the jetta already, Din't you feel you had to landup buying another german!
Love your garage and Damm i like this shade on the Polo, Its not commonly seem plus it looks really elegant! Very detailed review too! Wish you many many miles of happiness with both the german beasts!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:59   #35
BHPian

Congrats graaja on your new ride. Excellent write up & can easily be rated 5* twice. Now all you got to do is drive safe & pollute less
RedDevil_KP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 13:35   #36
BANNED

Regarding the lights
1.You can either retrofit projectors
Or
Upgrade Fog to H11 Philips XV
UPgrade low and high to H7 Philips XV
Be sure to turn off the cornering lights through VCDS if you choose to go with H11 fogs
(Stock are H8 35w)
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 15:18   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulspace999 View Post
That's one hot hatch you have got. Indeed, the VW drama will continue for sometime but for all the alleged cheats they've used they surely make some solid long lasting cars. I like the way that you prioritize safety features. Its a simple case that India was neglected for a long time and the cars offered were heavily stripped down versions of their European counterparts without the absolutely necessary bells and whistles.

Even in countries like Indonesia, the cars get alloys as a standard(just how long we will have to cope up with steel rims) that's irritating to some extent. Also, the car specs you see on auto magazines hardly make their way into the final product which is sold here.
Thank you for the compliment Raulspace999. Yes. Only after seeing how different the euro spec car and India spec car behaved in a crash test, I decided not to take any chance and went for the Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Congratulations graaja on your recent buy. You are going to be spoilt for choices between these two fantastic cars!

Good luck on your forthcoming mods, which I'm sure is works in progress.
Thanks for the wishes, ventoman. I can already feel that I am spoilt by the Jetta and the GT TSi

Regarding the mods, I am very cautious about warranty etc, and hence will keep away from extreme mods like Xenon headlights, steering wheel upgrade etc. For now, I am just looking for some safe mods like center armrest, auto light switch etc which can be done the DIY way without any warranty concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil_KP View Post
Congrats graaja on your new ride. Excellent write up & can easily be rated 5* twice. Now all you got to do is drive safe & pollute less
Thank you very much for the wishes and kind words RedDevil_KP. I think I just compensated for the polluting Diesel with the non-polluting petrol (hope there is no cheat software installed in the TSi!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Regarding the lights
1.You can either retrofit projectors
Or
Be sure to turn off the cornering lights through VCDS if you choose to go with H11 fogs
(Stock are H8 35w)
Hi, Thanks for the bulb suggestion H_Dogg72. I have a few follow up questions.

1. Do you know what is the rating of the stock low and high beams of the GT TSi? I read in many threads that the stock bulb rating was 55/60W for the single bulb version. In the present generation, there are two independent bulbs for low and high beams and I could not find the specifications for these (have not checked the manuals yet).
2. Are the Philips H7 XV rated at same power as the stock head lights? No wire changes or void warranty?
3. What is the reason for your comment about disabling cornering lights to go with H11?

Thank you once again for the information.
Old 15th October 2015, 18:29   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Regarding the lights
(Stock are H8 35w)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi, Thanks for the bulb suggestion H_Dogg72. I have a few follow up questions.

1. Do you know what is the rating of the stock low and high beams of the GT TSi? I read in many threads that the stock bulb rating was 55/60W for the single bulb version. In the present generation, there are two independent bulbs for low and high beams and I could not find the specifications for these (have not checked the manuals yet).
2. Are the Philips H7 XV rated at same power as the stock head lights? No wire changes or void warranty?
3. What is the reason for your comment about disabling cornering lights to go with H11?

Thank you once again for the information.
I found answers to my questions #1 and #2. Talked to a senior person in VW dealership and got a response that the stock bulbs for high and low beams are rated at 12V/55W. Philips H7 Xtreme-Vision bulbs are also rated at 55W and hence will not require any wiring changes or warranty concerns.

Got another follow up doubt with the Philips H7 XV. The dealership person said this comes in two colors - white and yellow. He recommended to go with yellow as white would be inefficient in front of the yellow glaring lights of lorries. What is your opinion on this?
Old 16th October 2015, 07:26   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Driving the jetta already, Din't you feel you had to landup buying another german!
Love your garage and Damm i like this shade on the Polo, Its not commonly seem plus it looks really elegant! Very detailed review too! Wish you many many miles of happiness with both the german beasts!
Thanks a lot for the wishes, Tanveer.

I think I and VW have a deep connection. Almost till the end, I did not have Polo TSi in my list at all. If Maruti guys had delivered the Celerio on time, my review would have been on Celerio. Looks like destiny that I had to end up with another German. Now thinking back, after driving the DSG in Jetta, I may not have been happy with the AMT in Celerio. However, now with two Germans, the risk factor has gone up several notches!!!
Old 16th October 2015, 14:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the wishes, Tanveer.

I think I and VW have a deep connection. Almost till the end, I did not have Polo TSi in my list at all. If Maruti guys had delivered the Celerio on time, my review would have been on Celerio. Looks like destiny that I had to end up with another German. Now thinking back, after driving the DSG in Jetta, I may not have been happy with the AMT in Celerio. However, now with two Germans, the risk factor has gone up several notches!!!
Has to be the destiny! And for the good. Love the black interiors of polo, Wish i could turn the jetta's interior black too, Do you recommend seat covers for the jetta? Since Jetta has the airbags i am skeptical about putting on any seat covers, But have seen several international jetta's where people have done it.

AMT of Celerio and DSG with the 1.2TSI, Are poles apart isn't it? Well life is short and some risk are worth taken
Old 16th October 2015, 15:52   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Love the black interiors of polo, Wish i could turn the jetta's interior black too, Do you recommend seat covers for the jetta? Since Jetta has the airbags i am skeptical about putting on any seat covers, But have seen several international jetta's where people have done it.
With side airbags in the Jetta, I would not recommend going for seat covers for the Jetta. It is better not to take chances with something like airbags. Even if there was a way to add a seat cover without affecting the airbag function, black seats in the Jetta may not gel very well with the biege / faux wood interior theme.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 21:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With side airbags in the Jetta, I would not recommend going for seat covers for the Jetta. It is better not to take chances with something like airbags. Even if there was a way to add a seat cover without affecting the airbag function, black seats in the Jetta may not gel very well with the biege / faux wood interior theme.
Absolutely my thoughts regarding the seat covers, Not worth the risk, Though the wooden interior parts can be easily swapped with silver ones (Available on several websites) Still, Seat covers are major concern and i don't want to risk it too.
Old 17th October 2015, 11:05   #43

Graaja .. That's is a very nice car. I was using my friend's polo for a year but that's had the manual. I really love the quality of handling that the car carries during turns. I'm yet to try the AT segment of polo. I was told that using paddle shift on this model definitely will take over your concerns of immediate power delivery during overtakes. I am not sure of the airbag issue by changing the stock steering. Anyways the machine is a beauty and it definitely needs a auto dimming IRVMs. I am tempted to take a get drive after your review. Enjoy the drive. And congrats.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 19th October 2015 at 07:42. Reason: Excessive dots
WCHURCHIL is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th October 2015, 19:10   #44
k36
BHPian

Congratulations Graaja on owning this beauty. And thanks a lot for the great detailed review.
I'm waiting for delivery of my own GT TSI and your observations, comments and pictures have been very helpful in keeping my patience.
k36 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 20:53   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHURCHIL View Post
Graaja .. That's is a very nice car. I was using my friend's polo for a year but that's had the manual. I really love the quality of handling that the car carries during turns. I'm yet to try the AT segment of polo. I was told that using paddle shift on this model definitely will take over your concerns of immediate power delivery during overtakes. I am not sure of the airbag issue by changing the stock steering... Anyways the machine is a beauty and it definitely needs a auto dimming IRVMs. I am tempted to take a get drive after your review.. Enjoy the drive.. And congrats..
Thank you for the wishes, WCHURCHIL. Yes. For the lag in D mode, paddle shifts will be the perfect solution. Maybe a few months down the line, I will give in to temptation and go for the paddle shifts. An autodimming IRVM is in the wishlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36 View Post
Congratulations Graaja on owning this beauty. And thanks a lot for the great detailed review.
I'm waiting for delivery of my own GT TSI and your observations, comments and pictures have been very helpful in keeping my patience.
Thank you for the wishes, k36. The wait for the car is the most painful of the car buying process. Hope you get your GT soon and have tens of thousands of miles with smiles

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks