Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2015, 15:09   #91
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review

Great review! It's Finally here!! Competitive pricing. As mentioned, the alloys are indeed drool-worthy. Should see a lot of these revving on the roads. I guess their primary target market would be the 18-35 age range. Hope this helps FIAT revive!

Any idea about the waiting period?
Old 27th October 2015, 15:19   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The Matt grey is expected to be introduced in Q1 next year.
Let us hope they atleast don't mess up the matt grey version with loud sticker job. Best would be to retain the looks of the matt grey version that went on display at the BIC.
Old 27th October 2015, 15:25   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
Any idea about the waiting period?
That would be the most optimistic question in a FIAT related thread. Unlike Maruti and Hyundai customers who wait months together for the car, the only waiting at FIAT would be the sales representatives waiting for the customer, and the current lot of owners waiting for the next generation of products.

In Bangalore, the dealers are KHT, Caffe and Aadya. They should be able to deliver the car as soon as the stocks start arriving from the factory. I believe token deliveries have already begun from the first lot of cars received by these dealers.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 16:54   #94
Senior - BHPian

The Abarth has a new high lift camshaft. Secondly the turbo provides a wide pressure ratio. What this means is that the fun starts at 2000 and continues till 4000+ rpms. The torque does not taper off unlike the usual tjet motor.
What this translates too is a total hoot car any damn enthusiast will crave for.
amit_mechengg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 16:59   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalytuned View Post
I will try to get my hands on one soon but the Abarth punto just looks a lot more of a gimmick than the real hot hatch in that useless sticker job. The abarth punto looks much better in the older generation car.
I would suggest Fiat India to do some changes such that it looks like a real hot hatch
-front and rear bumpers look useless with those red colour sticker jobs. I would prefer a newly designed bumper exclusively for the Abarth punto cars.
-rear bumper diffuser with proper exhaust placement
-matt black alloys with red colour calipers as option
-sporty seats with much more support
-After market exhaust which can be tuned manually.
-power upgrade options
-Electronic Stability program, traction control (switchable) and 6 airbags for added safety

I think so now it’s time that VW launches its much powerful polo GT car with a manual gearbox.
Bro you can always get those stickers removed. Abarth Punto's main emphasis is on the insane power along with stupendous braking, steering and handling. I feel it delivers on these fronts.

Gimicky would have been if there wouldnt have been a considerable power bump and a lot of Abarth stickering/badging

The features that you have suggested would pimp up the Abarth, no doubt, but it would also increase the sticker price, which is not good for a manufacturer that already sells in low numbers. Let the GTI come, and then Fiat can come up with a more powerful variant, as GTI would be insanely expensive.
Waspune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 18:00   #96
BHPian

Quote:

Blue Tooth Streaming now available, which is a welcome move. USB slot and the Aux port different from the regular Evo though placed at the same location

Attachment 1430707
Is the bluetooth streaming a result of a Blue & Me software tweak? In simpler terms can a Punto Evo upgrade to this functionality given that they share the same HU?

Thanks.
Old 27th October 2015, 18:13   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Is the bluetooth streaming a result of a Blue & Me software tweak? In simpler terms can a Punto Evo upgrade to this functionality given that they share the same HU?

Thanks.
No they have done away with the useless Blue & Me and brought in UConnect.
UConnect is a Chrysler product for MMI and if I'm not wrong this is the first vehicle to use UConnect in India.
madroxx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 18:18   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madroxx View Post
No they have done away with the useless Blue & Me and brought in UConnect.
UConnect is a Chrysler product for MMI and if I'm not wrong this is the first vehicle to use UConnect in India.
Well I wont call B&M useless as it serves its purpose as far as calling/receiving calls is concerned. The only gripe is the bluetooth streaming, but isnt a deal breaker.

Last edited by Waspune : 27th October 2015 at 18:19.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 18:20   #99
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has info on the Accessories prices.

Abarth Pedals
Alloys
Complete Badge and Sticker Set

Though I agree with Crazy Driver's post on waiting periods but AFAIK GT TSI once commanded one month waiting periods.
In fact, it would be an idea worth considering if Fiat try to maintain as low unsold inventory as possible so that the huge discounts need not be offered and which would not 'dilute' the brand value of Abarth. They can keep it as Made to Order but knowing the ego of Indian customer Fiat (infact No one) can't dare do it. Now please don't tell that all other cars are available 'off the shelf'.

I am sure Fiat would have incorporated the expected "massive discount" to the tune of 1 Lac while launching the car, by now they very well know their position in our market.

I am also surprised that if someone wants to postpone the joy of owning and driving this car just for the sake of discounts, how much does it matter even if the discount is say 1 Lac which is about 8% of the value of the car and Fiat would anyway deliver you the same car that was manufactured earlier. In the total calculation of EMI, it would hardly be 1500/-

Quite tricky our market is.
Old 27th October 2015, 18:40   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
+1 to that. It is also heartening to see that the naysayers seem to have vanished. As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating
Most of them are busy praising/buying Baleno. That might be keeping them away from this thread. But they will be back for sure because one just cannot ignore this car.

I am not, in anyway, bringing Baleno into the equation nor ridiculing it. It is a good car for the price. So is the Abarth Punto. People not seeing value in this car because it is not as feature rich as another car "X" will really do well (and will be a lot more happy) with a Baleno or i20. This is something different for a completely different set of people.

Good to see people coming back impressed after test drives. Hope this car sees some decent numbers comparable to TSi or we will again be stuck with light weight, mileage conscious cars for another 5yrs because no other manufacturer will think about bringing a performance variant seeing it's fate. This car can accelerate/decelerate the hot hatch scene in our country based on the numbers it can garner. I am really hoping for the best.
DieselAddikt is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 20:48   #101
BANNED

While I was on my way home, found one hoarding that I felt like posting here. It was an AD for the Fiat Punto Abarth.

Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-untitled.jpg

I know many here who have driven this car will agree with what's on the hoarding!
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 20:57   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
While I was on my way home, found one hoarding that I felt like posting here. It was an AD for the Fiat Punto Abarth.
Undoubtedly its the most powerful hatchback in the sub 10 lakh category but I wonder how did they manage such massive smoke coming from rear wheels in a front wheel drive car! Maybe I am missing something.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 22:54   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic report, guys! Hats off to the details shared by all 3 of you. Well done!

What a droolworthy option we have in the sub-10 lakh space now! The Abarth Punto has all the ingredients of being a blockbuster, IF:

- we had the roads to match the performance of this blazingly fast Fiat,

and

- improved After Sales Service.

But, Fiat India has taken a bold step in the right direction. By launching the Abarth Punto & Abarth Avventura at pan-India prices, they have ensured that true enthusiasts who can afford this pint-sized dynamite stick at places like Bangalore are not deprived of the same. The pricing, at around 11.50-11.75 lakhs OTR at most places, is a fantastic way of ensuring plenty of footfalls in Fiat Caffes & dealerships all around the country.

Also, advertising the car as a comparatively frugal machine while crunching through the speed numbers in a jiffy is also a smart move, since most Indians still go by Fuel Efficiency numbers. The Abarth Punto is certainly a niche product, and it will be a looker on the streets when one passes by. I am sure the first owners of this hatch would have realised it by now.

Now Fiat needs to tighten up their service aspects and give plenty of marketing boost to their Abarth twins (or triplets, if we count the 500 as well). Fiat India needs some serious improvement to their sales numbers and product planning, and maybe the Abarth brand might bring in these, even though in small numbers.

I wish the Fiat India team all the best. May the Abarth Punto taste some moderate success in the Indian market.

On a side note, would it be asking for too much for an Abarth Esseesse launch in the next 2-3 years maybe? If not the ECU, maybe with just the kit and the remapped (and more turbocharged) engine? Might find very few takers, but it would be exciting just to know that it's standing inside the showroom at the nearest Fiat Caffe.

My Fiat sources are mum on this regard, but one can only hope.

And wish for.

And dream on.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th October 2015 at 23:15.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 00:29   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Punto Abarth 2015

PPS Thanks to Crazy Driver accompanying me for the review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Big thanks to nkrishnap for taking me along for this review test drive.
Wow. Nice review here. I spotted you guys at Hebbal swapping driving seat. I was wondering how can someone owning an Abarth allow another person to drive. *Now makes sense.*

I was driving to Nandi Hills with my family.

I then saw you guys approaching on the rear view mirror and this was the conversation with my Dad.

Me: Watch this car that will zip by.
*Punto Abarth zips by and we loose sight*
Dad:Isn't that a Punto.
Me: Yes, it is a Punto Abarth.
Dad: What is the difference?
Me: This is 145bhp whereas the regular Punto is 89 bhp
Dad: What is the mileage?
Me: about 10kmpl I guess
Dad: What is the Price?
Me: About 11Lakhs.
Dad: Why will someone buy this when you get better mileage at a lower price with regular Punto?
Me: See all that fog around
*Topic changed*

I guess this will be the most common lines spoken about the Abarth.
fast_elegance is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 07:28   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Dad: What is the Price?
Me: About 11Lakhs.
Dad: Why will someone buy this when you get better mileage at a lower price with regular Punto?
Me: See all that fog around
*Topic changed*

I guess this will be the most common lines spoken about the Abarth.
I was taking a walk yesterday when I came across someone I know who works for a XYZ automobile company. We got talking and when we saw my Punto :

He : Hey, Punto Abarth is launched; priced close to 10L.

I got all excited that he's from the industry and I'll learn what people in there are thinking of it.

Me : yeah, it's a monster; everyone who did a TD is impressed. I should really find some time and take a TD.
He : It's overpriced at 10L; A 1.5 diesel also gives 100ps power. even mileage is low..blah..blah..
Me : You know why they're calling it an Abarth. The engine is a T-Jet Petrol with 145bhp?
He : No
Me : cool, it's already November and it's still sultry. Topic changed
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks