Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 14:22   #121
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
This is what I mentioned sir, is it not better to buy something that offers us what we need and stay on the right side of the law, than modify and jump to the other side?
Yes, it is better to buy what is available than buying something and then trying to make it better. Agree with that. That said, when we find ways and means of making what we already own better, then we do it. Some are easy, like a tyre upsize or installing stiffer springs and lowering ride height, while some are more involved like remapping. All of them are illegal, unless endorsed by the RTO.

BTW, my car was remapped to 150 HP way before FIAT even considered bringing Abarth to India. It is not as if I am doing it now, so that my car matches what is available. Ironically, it seems to be FIAT that is matching what I do to my car - from something as complex as Cruise Control to something as simple as painting the T-Jet lettering on the engine cover. Wonder what they will do when I complete the ESP installation

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 28th October 2015 at 14:36.
Old 28th October 2015, 14:28   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post

is it not better to buy something that offers us what we need and stay on the right side of the law, than modify and jump to the other side?
Hey autocrat appreciate your view for being on the "Right Side of the Law" but I guess you may have a tiny bit confusion here buddy.

From what I know:

- Remapping a car with a software is not illegal, until unless this results in excessive emission, causes loud exhaust notes, etc. From what I have read/heard, this seldom happens.

- It is illegal to change the engine on a car, colour of a car, etc without RTO endorsement of the RC book.

- Only illegal stuff you may encounter by remapping your car will be voiding of warranty by the manufacturer.

- Swapping an OEM silencer is also not illegal, until unless the exhaust sound is curtained below the allowed level. It is a big problem if you install a loud sounding silencer.

At least IMO, PatchyBoy has not done anything illegal other than risking an existing warranty, by remapping his already potent machine.

Experts please correct me if my understanding is wrong here.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 28th October 2015 at 14:30.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:55   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey autocrat

At least IMO, PatchyBoy has not done anything illegal other than risking an existing warranty, by remapping his already potent machine.

Experts please correct me if my understanding is wrong here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...want-read.html

The RTO registers only vehicles type-approved by ARAI. The type approval includes the performance numbers too.

If you uprate the engine, you change the performance numbers. Have you also uprated the brakes to stop in time? Is you chassis capable of handling this power? Do you have the uprated tyres?

If you violate the type approval, forget warranty, you risk getting the car impounded.

You may want to cross-check with the knowledgeable forum though.
autocrat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:55   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
The reviewers in this thread have mentioned - Notice the bigger inetrcooler, with a picture and also mentioned

There is no revised intake or bigger intercooler. While TBHP is source of great info, sometimes incorrect info gets published. Infact, when the review of Linea T-Jet was published, it was claimed that the car does not have an intercooler, which is factually incorrect.
I have only quoted your earlier post reference in my post. Hence the usage reviewers* is not applicable here I believe. Will just let the respective member reply.

Frankly I'm not so technically gifted to identify such minute internal technical differences just by looking at the engine bay of a test drive car.

Anyways, can get more clarity whether it's right or wrong once the respective part numbers are available.

Quote:
Ironically, it seems to be FIAT that is matching what I do to my car - from something as complex as Cruise Control to something as simple as painting the T-Jet lettering on the engine cover. Wonder what they will do when I complete the ESP installation

Probably you should ask them for payment for rendering them R&D. Now, if they could take marketing ideas also from someone. They definitely need some.

When do we get to hear the details of the cruise control mod?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th October 2015 at 15:08.
Old 28th October 2015, 16:31   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Will just let the respective member reply.
Sure. Let us wait for the respective member's reply.

Quote:
Probably you should ask them for payment for rendering them R&D.
No buddy. These features already exist. They just did not make them available for the Indian market and I am finding ways to unlock these features and make use of them

Quote:
When do we get to hear the details of the cruise control mod?
That was done more than 2 years back. I doubt if anyone is interested to know how it was done. AFAIK, it can only be done on the T-Jet and 1.4 FIRE. Doesn't work on the MJD, for some strange reason.
Old 28th October 2015, 16:33   #126
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, my car was remapped to 150 HP way before FIAT even considered bringing Abarth to India. It is not as if I am doing it now, so that my car matches what is available. Ironically, it seems to be FIAT that is matching what I do to my car - from something as complex as Cruise Control to something as simple as painting the T-Jet lettering on the engine cover. Wonder what they will do when I complete the ESP installation
It will be interesting if you can somehow get a comparison of the torque curve (vs rpm) between your remapped T-jet and FIAT Abarth Punto.
Old 28th October 2015, 17:18   #127
BHPian

Quote:
That was done more than 2 years back. I doubt if anyone is interested to know how it was done. AFAIK, it can only be done on the T-Jet and 1.4 FIRE. Doesn't work on the MJD, for some strange reason.
I remember following your experiments (elsewhere) and was hoping I could do that too one day. But there were conflicting statements from various people about the feasibility on MJD. When I wanted to check with the source, you had left the forum(s). Anyway, I got the answer now, not the one I wanted, though.
Old 28th October 2015, 20:00   #128
BHPian

Great review.

Just trying to find some good time to get a taste of the beast, saw white one from Hyson Kochi a few times. Well the interesting part is never saw the her parked in the showroom premises and every single time she was on road. May need to check with Hyson if they can offer an early morning drive which is much required to feel her to the very best.

Price looks really good for a 145 BHP hot hatch. Though sorely miss some features, especially crusie control as it's being already offered with T-jet Linea. Hope FIAT release an updated version of Punto Abarth or Abarth Linea by the end of next year, well that's when I'm planning to buy an Abarath home.

Does anyone know if the Abarth Punto alloys are still 98 PCD ones ?
Old 28th October 2015, 20:09   #129
BHPian

Excellent review and well deserved 5* rating from my side . Few pictures from my end .

Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-1.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-2.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-3.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-4.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-5.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-6.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-7.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-8.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-9.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-10.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-11.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-12.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-13.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-14.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-16.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-17.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-18.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review-abarth-19.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th October 2015 at 08:42. Reason: Removed Youtube clip = speeding on public roads. Not permitted on the forums.
ARAY is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 20:23   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aritraray View Post
Attachment 1432394
And last but not the least a video to add fuel to the fire !
Wow! It looks smashing in red & white!

I'm guessing this is your car, and not a test drive vehicle?
Old 29th October 2015, 06:44   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aritraray View Post
I had set the speed limit trigger at 130kmph before the test drive , I started at 00:29 and the alarm triggered at 00:41 sec , please do the Math

Nice, thanks for sharing. The video says it all, what kind of acceleration is that, the car undoubtedly is wicked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Wow! It looks smashing in red & white!

I'm guessing this is your car, and not a test drive vehicle?
Hey Sourav,
I can confirm that this is a TD car, as I can clearly make out the second voice in the video is of Naresh - sales lead @ AV Motors.

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 29th October 2015, 09:32   #132
BHPian

Now when we have news about Punto Evo Sportivo being launched soon and Abarth Punto already on showroom floors, Fiat seems to have covered much wider bandwidth of the customer demand.

For the customers looking for just the fancy features they have Sportivo edition and for performance and safety oriented buyers they have Abarth Punto.

But still these cars may get sales number rising 10 -15 % for Punto (that translates to 50-60 units) only.

Let's see..
Going to visit the Fiat showroom soon for TD of this Scorpion

P.S.: This is my first post in Team-BHP forum and I devote this to my beloved brand - Fiat.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 10:21   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Now when we have news about Punto Evo Sportivo being launched soon and Abarth Punto already on showroom floors, Fiat seems to have covered much wider bandwidth of the customer demand.

For the customers looking for just the fancy features they have Sportivo edition and for performance and safety oriented buyers they have Abarth Punto.

But still these cars may get sales number rising 10 -15 % for Punto (that translates to 50-60 units) only.

Let's see..
Going to visit the Fiat showroom soon for TD of this Scorpion

P.S.: This is my first post in Team-BHP forum and I devote this to my beloved brand - Fiat.
Firstly, welcome to Team - BHP

Could you tell me which showroom to visit in Pune for a TD? Mumbai guys have no clue yet and all they say is that it would be launched in Mumbai, but don't know when

Is a TD possible at the Fiat Caffe too in Pune?
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 10:42   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Could you tell me which showroom to visit in Pune for a TD?
Hi!
Have PM'd you the details.
driveanddrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 11:09   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Firstly, welcome to Team - BHP

Could you tell me which showroom to visit in Pune for a TD?

Is a TD possible at the Fiat Caffe too in Pune?
Yes, It's available at Fiat Caffe in Koregaon Park.
You can coordinate with SE at following number : 8380044456
Sorry I don't remember the name though

Update:
Just had a callback from showroom.
The ex-showroom Pune price is 9.95 lakhs and they can deliver the car for customer in Mumbai by registering it under CRTM process and you have to further take care of registering it in Mumbai.
SE name is Varun

Last edited by DriveOnceMore : 29th October 2015 at 11:23. Reason: Additional Information
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks