Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 13:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

GTPower, Your review seems harsh. We are close to replacing a hatch in the family and the GT Tsi had the Maximum fun amongst all cars tested till 10 Lacs. The Hondas and Balenos did not even come close to the instant pickup this automatic offered. I felt that the engine seemed quite in comfort zone revving, so not sure what a revv happy means if not this. It was as revv happy as my daily drive the HondaCity G3 iVtec.

At the same time I have not driven more expensive cars extensively. So don't know how much better are the Mercs, Beamers and the Volvos.

I think you should have waited for the Gti. There is no point buying something that you are just living with and not enjoying to the fullest so quickly into the purchase.

Now that its done, I hope you can reconcile with what you have bought and have happy, safe and fun miles ahead. There is always an equilibrium between anticipation and acceptance
manishkapadia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 14:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP and congratulations on the new car! Please drive safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
That is the biggest problem we have here in India, there are no hatchbacks in the 10 to 25 lakhs range! I set out a budget of 20 lakhs only to find out that the Merc A class, BMW 1 or the Volvo are in excess of 30 and the Mini is 40 lakhs!
IMHO, A few more months and you could have got a GTI. After all, we buy a new car only once in a while - Right?

Would be interested to know your take on the Punto Abarth.

Quote:
The problem is its such a low car so I should be forgiven for expecting brilliant body roll control. However as it turns out VW just slapped on taller springs and didn't really pay much attention to variable valving or simple stuff like that which would have made it much better in the corners.
Could not understand this. Not sure what I am missing here. Can you please elaborate?
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 14:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I have to say that this is one of the most honest reviews I've read about the GT in a while!

After reading all the hype about the vehicle, I just didn't feel the same level of excitement when I drove the Polo and the Vento TSi.
Yes, the engine is great, aided by an excellent gearbox - but a month later, I am over the engine. The ride and handling too are just about average.

Heck, months after TD-ing the Fiesta, it has still left a lasting impression - if only the headroom was better. Can't say that about the GT though - drove it, enjoyed it, and forgot about it
But at the same time, there is no other combo of ride/handling + power at this price bracket - just wish the GT had a little more excitement though, especially as it tries to be a hot hatch.

I have more fun pushing my Etios to the limits, primarily because it manages to surprise you when you least expect it; unlike the GT from which you already have high expectations.

The only part of the review I don't agree with is the comment on the bangled E60 BMW. It would have been fine if you were referring to the bangled 7 series, but I personally love the 5 series

PS: Before I am flamed by other members, let me just get it out that I am very seriously considering the Vento TSi as our next family car. Not because the engine and handling is fantastic, but just because it makes sense.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
GTPower, Your review seems harsh. We are close to replacing a hatch in the family and the GT Tsi had the Maximum fun amongst all cars tested till 10 Lacs. The Hondas and Balenos did not even come close to the instant pickup this automatic offered. I felt that the engine seemed quite in comfort zone revving, so not sure what a revv happy means if not this. It was as revv happy as my daily drive the HondaCity G3 iVtec.
See, that's the thing. The GT is the best bet for an automatic fun to drive hatch because of lack of options.
However, maybe I've been spoiled, but the car is no where close to what the Ford Ikon was during it's era; or the Fiesta 1.6, or the T-Jet, or even the Abarth! Those cars have a soul.

Last edited by lamborghini : 24th February 2016 at 14:47.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 15:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
+1. There's some serious expectation vs reality issue here.
Your most certainly right. I have heard a lot about the car for Youtube videos raving on about it to reviews right here on teambhp so yes there was an set expectation. But the most serious expectation setting thing is the "GT" badge, a badge adorned by cars like Alfa Romeo Guilia GT the Ferrari 250 GT. A badge that tells you this car is going to get you places not just fast but in comfort and style. So yes I would expect the manufacturer to take it seriously.

Quote:
<15L which car let's us choose a Sunroof? Forget about that, there's practically nothing as selecting options in India as abroad. The car comes in a certain variant. Take it as it is and add overpriced accessories at the dealer.

<15 lacs and its ok to be treated as second class? Saying that's true for all manufacturers does not make it any better. I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to add something like a sunroof without having to worry about voiding your warranty or poor installation.

Quote:
Steering has zero feedback, agree but you couldn't corner past 40kmph in the GT TSi? I hope you didn't get sold a lemon.
Its really hard to tell if I have a lemon, lets hope not. But no I didn't say you can't corner faster than 40 kmph but does it make you? Does it impress with its poise and feel to push it further? No it does not. Sure I can change to aftermarket coilovers, fat tyres and say see the car is so much better now. But is really isn't my point. Even a Ferrari can be made better with after market mods.

Quote:
What's with the "hot hatch pretention" you seem to mention more than once in your review?
The "GT" badge like i mentioned earlier.

Quote:
After all the negatives you have listed, you say there's nothing the car refuses to do. I'm confused.
I was never looking for a hot hatch, if I did I would not have considered the Eco Sport or the Jazz.

Quote:
Entry level automatic hatch? What's the next level automatic hatch available?
In India there is none, at least none which I can afford.

Quote:
It just pains to read when you say the engine has no character and compare it to the Estilo. No car is perfect. I feel you are being too critical of the car. I sincerely hope you revisit some of the negatives you have listed out.
Please don't take it personally, but I own the car it pains me even more to say it. But I did say the engine is perfect, but that doesn't mean it has character.

Quote:
P.S: I don't own a GT TSi but have test driven it quite a number of times before getting a Aspire 1.5L DCT. A head over heart decision.
Trust me the front differential on the Ford should actually be making you a really happy person right now. The steering feel on recent Ford's FWD vehicle is certainly something most manufacturers can learn from and I am sure the Aspire is no exception.
GTPower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 15:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I have to say that this is one of the most honest reviews I've read about the GT in a while!

After reading all the hype about the vehicle, I just didn't feel the same level of excitement when I drove the Polo and the Vento TSi.
Yes, the engine is great, aided by an excellent gearbox - but a month later, I am over the engine. The ride and handling too are just about average.

Heck, months after TD-ing the Fiesta, it has still left a lasting impression - if only the headroom was better. Can't say that about the GT though - drove it, enjoyed it, and forgot about it
But at the same time, there is no other combo of ride/handling + power at this price bracket - just wish the GT had a little more excitement though, especially as it tries to be a hot hatch.

I have more fun pushing my Etios to the limits, primarily because it manages to surprise you when you least expect it; unlike the GT from which you already have high expectations.

The only part of the review I don't agree with is the comment on the bangled E60 BMW. It would have been fine if you were referring to the bangled 7 series, but I personally love the 5 series

PS: Before I am flamed by other members, let me just get it out that I am very seriously considering the Vento TSi as our next family car. Not because the engine and handling is fantastic, but just because it makes sense.

EDIT:

See, that's the thing. The GT is the best bet for an automatic fun to drive hatch because of lack of options.
However, maybe I've been spoiled, but the car is no where close to what the Ford Ikon was during it's era; or the Fiesta 1.6, or the T-Jet, or even the Abarth! Those cars have a soul.
Really Honest. My mom still misses our Renault Logan which had the best ride quality in its segment & maybe a couple of segments above. And i'm saying this with full responsibility.

Mom prefers sitting on the backseat of the i10 rather than the Vento. And fully agree on the grouse of the puny engine they've thonked in the engine bay.

Anyways, enjoy your ride!
anilkalvani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 15:27   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The steering feel on recent Ford's FWD vehicle is certainly something most manufacturers can learn from and I am sure the Aspire is no exception.
Aspire is a disappointment when it comes to steering feel. It is no Fiesta / Ikon / Figo. Even the suspension and build for that matter are more Maruti than the Ford we know.

Congratulations on the car Priya. Had to cross check if its actually a lady writing the review, or husband writing about wife's car. You seem to know a lot about cars!

Anyways - GT TSi may not be a 'hot' hatch, but it sure is the best automatic choice available now. Turbo petrol engine, dual clutch transmission, Stability control, Cruise control - nothing else comes close to the tech. And even coming to steering and handling - its better than the other choices available (except for FIAT but they dont have any new products, let alone automatics). You should forget the 'GT' hype and just get back to enjoying the car.

The 10 - 20L hatchback market will take its own sweet time to mature. Hyundai launching the i30 would mark the start of this segment, with showroom prices crossing the 10L barrier for the first time.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th February 2016 at 15:33.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 15:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Aspire is a disappointment when it comes to steering feel. It is no Fiesta / Ikon / Figo. Even the suspension and build for that matter are more Maruti than the Ford we know.

Congratulations on the car Priya. Had to cross check if its actually a lady writing the review, or husband writing about wife's car. You seem to know a lot about cars!

Anyways - GT TSi may not be a 'hot' hatch, but it sure is the best automatic choice available now. Turbo petrol engine, dual clutch transmission, Stability control, Cruise control - nothing else comes close to the tech. And even coming to steering and handling - its better than the other choices available (except for FIAT but they dont have any new products, let alone automatics). You should forget the 'GT' hype and just get back to enjoying the car.

The 10 - 20L hatchback market will take its own sweet time to mature. Hyundai launching the i30 would mark the start of this segment, with showroom prices crossing the 10L barrier for the first time.
Well I have never driven the Aspire, but I wonder why Ford would mess up their steering feel. It was one of the best things about them. And fortunately or unfortunately I am not married, I hear husband's are not cars that can be replaced in 6 months that easily and I think I love cars more anyway hehe
GTPower is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 17:40   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your most certainly right. I have heard a lot about the car for Youtube videos raving on about it to reviews right here on teambhp so yes there was an set expectation. But the most serious expectation setting thing is the "GT" badge, a badge adorned by cars like Alfa Romeo Guilia GT the Ferrari 250 GT. A badge that tells you this car is going to get you places not just fast but in comfort and style. So yes I would expect the manufacturer to take it seriously.
Eureka moment! We have found out the culprit There's a mile long difference between hearing and experiencing oneself.

It's just naive to say you pegged your expectation based on the GT Badge and reviews. It's India for god sake; badges like VRS, Sports, GT, RS etc. are expected to be taken with a sense of humour.

Quote:
<15 lacs and its ok to be treated as second class? Saying that's true for all manufacturers does not make it any better. I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to add something like a sunroof without having to worry about voiding your warranty or poor installation.
There's no doubt that Indians get a raw deal wrt car pricing, options etc. in comparison to mature markets abroad. So before you get to the point of being able to add sun-roof as an option, I'd first like to have engine options. Don't single out the GT TSi.

Quote:
Its really hard to tell if I have a lemon, lets hope not. But no I didn't say you can't corner faster than 40 kmph but does it make you? Does it impress with its poise and feel to push it further? No it does not. Sure I can change to aftermarket coilovers, fat tyres and say see the car is so much better now. But is really isn't my point. Even a Ferrari can be made better with after market mods.
Yes it does impress. I can say with confidence.

You have a VAG car. Plug n play mods are available in plenty. Maybe you can spend the remaining million of your 20L budget in customizing the car as per your needs. It's not the end.

Quote:
In India there is none, at least none which I can afford.
When we are in BHP India sub-thread, shall we stick to available options in India please? Because a Jetta owner isn't going to be happy when I tell him that he owns a compact car since I'm talking with USA in my mind.

Quote:
Please don't take it personally, but I own the car it pains me even more to say it. But I did say the engine is perfect, but that doesn't mean it has character.
As an enthusiast, it pains.

Quote:
Trust me the front differential on the Ford should actually be making you a really happy person right now. The steering feel on recent Ford's FWD vehicle is certainly something most manufacturers can learn from and I am sure the Aspire is no exception.
Again hearsay

Others learning from Ford? Ford itself un-learnt it's driving dynamics DNA and went the mass market way with the Aspire. While it has lost the charm of the Fiesta, it still IS the best in it's class on driving dynamics.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 18:02   #24
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the new acquisition, the GT TSI is an awesome hatchback indeed and the DSG is superb too.
Wishing you miles of safe drives
Excellent review, thanks for sharing. Seems like it's raining GT's on the forum what with quite a few reviews of it.
Just wondering:
1. Did you decode the VIN to check manufacturing month/year ? Asking since the dealer took about 2 months+ and suddenly offered a car from the yard
2. How did you manage to keep the car safe during the Chennai rains/floods, since you seem to have bought it around that time ?
Old 24th February 2016, 18:20   #25
BHPian

Congratulations on the car!

Agree with your observations. Steering is lifeless and is the biggest letdown for driving fun but the convenience of the gearbox is mighty hard to resist. Happy and safe miles with the car.
Old 24th February 2016, 19:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car!
Quote:
The problem is its such a low car so I should be forgiven for expecting brilliant body roll control. However as it turns out VW just slapped on taller springs and didn't really pay much attention to variable valving or simple stuff like that which would have made it much better in the corners.
Low cars should ideally roll less (due to low CG). Such cars also have 'short travel' suspensions (they could be soft).
Old 24th February 2016, 19:51   #27
BHPian

Re: Priya's Polo GT!

Hearty Congratulations on the GT. That was one hilarious review I have thoroughly enjoyed reading.

Quote:

Interior & Equipment

Auto-dimming mirror Check
Lumbar adjustment Check
Electrically adjustable seats Check
TPMS Check

Yes all these are features you DO NOT get after paying an equivalent of 15000 USD.
That reminds me of a selection exam I attended in my teens. The officer came out with the result sheet and said, "I shall call out the numbers, all the candidates whose numbers are called out shall come up to the verandah and stand besides me". He proceeded to call out numbers and the ones who got called were looking pretty pleased. At the end he announced, "OK, all you guys on the verandah have failed the test. You may leave now; the remaining candidates out there, you have passed, so come up to complete the formalities". That was mean but it was also funny for the ones who were not on the verandah.

Quote:
But you do get the ‘Milan' Titanschwarz (read fabric) seat covers, ah ‘Milan' Titanschwarz seat covers! what enthusiasts around the world have been lusting for all their lives….rrright.
That was a nice mix of sarcasm and humour. I like your kind of humour. I will be looking forward to your posts with interest.
Old 24th February 2016, 20:24   #28
BHPian

Congratulations GTpower on the new car! Getting a new car is a special event for the buyer - enjoy the new car feel

The GT TSI, along with the Abarath Punto is one of the few hot hatches available in India today, though, if you want an automatic, that leaves you with only choice - the GT TSI! great car with a fantastic transmission.

Best,
anandpkumar
Old 24th February 2016, 20:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Priya's Polo GT!

Quote:
I was initially opening and shutting the door a lot, I was trying to find that germanic "thud" everyone refers too. I think we have got to the point were people just assume if its German you are going to hear a "thud" and if its not what are you supposed to hear? a "dung"? The car is set up for bad roads, so there is more body roll than you would expect in a car with a GT badge. <snip> feedback letting you know when you are at the limit of grip, but there is none of that either!! Attempts to go faster on the curve felt more like suicide and less like lunacy.
Just picked out the parts where I to a large extent felt the same way. Yes the door thud in Polo, I never understood that either. Let me clarify in advance that I know its all galvanized steel with pipe beam crossmembers in each door etc, but it closes in a rather loud *dhang* than a muted thud like in premium marquees like BMW. Ok irrelevant anyway but just added to what you wrote about.

This is relevant though - the steering. I've test driven TSi and so I can say with enough confidence that the steering is indeed numb, and a bit on the light side too. To go more in detail if the car is driven very slow the palms can pick up on borderline appreciable levels of feedback, you know what terrain you are on and it has some control dead-centre with a certain point-&-shoot nature within 45 degrees of centre position. As the speeds pick up the steering completely changes nature, remaining light and lifeless and at speeds in excess of 60 I require a ton of weight on the forearms so that the car can tug at me to take it in the right direction. A little exercise always helps.

Now to clarify I do think the TSi today is the best value for money hatchback in the automatic segment, there are no two ways about it. With the current design and feature upgrades it is a steal even without the discounts. I also think the 1.2 105 hp engine is more than enough if not overkill for a country like India. If there is one point I differ from that in this review, it is that the suspension is too soft. I took it over some average roads and the car was throwing me about when it hit a pothole or even marginal undulations with audible thud sounds from the rear suspension, for city I think the suspension is tight enough, any tighter and it can be a great corner carver but in city roads at average speeds it'll carve the backs of most drivers.

All cars have their minuses & pluses, be it in space, price, drivability, economy, service, brand value what not. In the end the TSi is a great deal, the only one from VW I'd go for eyes closed (as long as the DSG is proven to be fail-proof). Congrats on the buy. The only other options would've been used Mini's/BMW's at sub 20L.
Old 24th February 2016, 22:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP and congratulations on the new car! Please drive safe!

IMHO, A few more months and you could have got a GTI. After all, we buy a new car only once in a while - Right?

Would be interested to know your take on the Punto Abarth.

Could not understand this. Not sure what I am missing here. Can you please elaborate?
Variable valving if that's how its called, is basically where the amount of hydraulic fluid through the compression and rebound valves can be varied. Not saying this will cure body roll, a combination of this, proper spring rates and sway bars can. Its very easy to make the car hard and uncompromising with after market parts, but it will be a huge challenge to arrive at the perfect combination of comfort and handling (the kind of handling a true GT should have ) due to the number of parameters involved, however I'm sure VW with its huge R&D budget could have and should have.
GTPower is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks