Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2016, 18:31   #61
BHPian

Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nice review Priya. Suffering from a little buyer's remorse is understandable but hope you learn to appreciate the good things about your GT TSI in due course.
At the end of the day it's a sub-10L car and when you consider all factors, you get value for what you pay. Hey maybe one day you get that V40 and rock a fanboy review out of it

Wish you many happy miles and keep posting. This particular car and its variants VW has milked to death with myriad engines and gearboxes (I have a primitive one myself) so always good to have an honest owner perspective.
I certainly do appreciate the car for what it does right. However since you did say you've owned a Polo, I think if you get as much time as I have driving both the 1.2 TDI and the GT you will realize the how quickly the GT's edge wears off. I know I am gonna get so flamed for saying that but this is just my perspective and it would mean nothing if you have driven both cars extensively and felt differently.

The only car I would rock a fangirl review out of is the Jaguar E Type, I do not care how bad that car ends up being to drive because I don't think it ever will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
I owned a polo TDi( lost her to floods) and I can relate to what you say. I agree no rear seats not much of a corner craver either but the build quality and high speed stability is a notch above the competition.
That's actually very sad, hope you have recovered from the loss. Those rains were a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Sure you can. Just go ask for a TD
Can't review a car which I just TD'd and cant TD a car that is not made anymore

Quote:
If you haven't already changed them, check this post for a plug n play replacement to your speakers. These don't need spacers.
I did see this thread, they look very interesting but also very pricey for coaxials.

Quote:
I have replaced mine with components, which improve the sound quality even with the stock head-unit. The speaker removal and fitment process at a normal accessories shop is a bit distressing, because they drill the rivets out and drill new holes to fit the components with a spacer. But you could try and find an installer who knows how to remove and re-install the rivets, or do less damage.
I would also be upgrading my speakers to components but on this car, I was thinking of challenging myself to build a completely passive system. In my Estilo I just used a Audison bit One to tune the system, but this time it is gonna be all passive, custom passive crossovers, finding ideal tweeter locations rather than correcting them after fitting them and so on. You must get the picture by now.
Old 27th February 2016, 19:26   #62
BHPian

Okay now coming to the other HU, the winCE one. This is is currently fitted in my friend's car

Link to the product
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Capac...368663851.html

Cost - I paid 172 USD (Including shipping), now its 156 USD (Including shipping). I was charged customs on this one as it was shipped through a courier and not EMS

This one has only 2 preouts (Front L and Front R) unlike the android one. The CANBUS decoder is built in and doesn't hang outside. It also has the video in video out, 2 USB's and a MIC in (Does not come packaged with a mic like the android HU, however this still has the better call quality)

Home

Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!-ce_home.jpg
This one mimics colours and visuals from the VW OEM player which makes all the graphics very clearly visible in bright sun light as well. Poor colour combinations in the Android unit tends to make it look a bit washed out.

Bluetooth

The bluetooth on this this is the same as the one in the android HU

Car Information

Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!-ce_car-info.jpg
This HU really excels here, beautiful graphics to display all the parameters at a glance. This screen pop's up when you open a door (showing which door is open) and stays on till you close the door, when you release the handbreak or when you have low fuel.

Radio

Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!-ce_radio.jpg
Reception on this HU is as good as OEM

Music

Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!-ce_music-player.jpg
Music player displays album art

IPod Player

Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!-ce_ipod.jpg
If you are someone who carries your music on you iPhone this feature is killer! You can access all the playlists from this screen, it displays all the meta data for the tracks. This is the only screen that doesn't follow the VW OEM colour scheme so it tends to look washed out in bright sun light.

Reversing

Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!-ce_rev.jpg
There is no camera attached in this car so that part is blank, however being the older highline it does has OPS so that is displayed. And the dynamic lines based on steering position are not shown, but I think this is because this car's BCM doesn't support it.

Navigation

Being winCE based you have a wide variety of options that you can use, including mapmyindia.

Sound quality is on par with the android HU however do note it has only front preout's so if you are going to install a amp you might need line level converters for the rear speakers outs. Of course if you plan to use a DAC front outs are all you need.
GTPower is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 08:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post

Okay now coming to the other HU, the winCE one. This is is currently fitted in my friend's car
Hey Priya, thank you for sharing the details on this WinCE HY. I have been contemplating of swapping the OEM HU on my GT and this seems to be the one that I am interested in.

As you have had hands-on experience and feel of this HU, I would really appreciate if you can spare some time to answer few of my queries:

- I have a the old 1.6 GT TDi with steering mounted controls only on the left of the steering wheel. Does this HU support these buttons?

- I am not a great D.I.Y guy, so would all the necessary components be bundled along with this package or should I order any thing separately?

- Is USB and SD card slots available on this HU or must be ordered separately?

- The seller on Ali-express claims the maps are available for India. So does this come preloaded with India maps?

- I have no immediate intention of installing Sub and Amp in my GT. So with the OEM speaker set up, is the sound quality acceptable?

Really sorry if I have bothered you with many questions, I am just making sure that I order something that is at least good if not excellent.
Old 29th February 2016, 09:35   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Reversing

Attachment 1480903
There is no camera attached in this car so that part is blank, however being the older highline it does has OPS so that is displayed.
But the display looks incorrect. Why are the front sensors shown instead of the rear?

Quote:
And the dynamic lines based on steering position are not shown, but I think this is because this car's BCM doesn't support it.
What variant of Polo is this? Which year, specifically? Pre-facelift?
Old 29th February 2016, 10:09   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Priya, thank you for sharing the details on this WinCE HY. I have been contemplating of swapping the OEM HU on my GT and this seems to be the one that I am interested in.

As you have had hands-on experience and feel of this HU, I would really appreciate if you can spare some time to answer few of my queries:

- I have a the old 1.6 GT TDi with steering mounted controls only on the left of the steering wheel. Does this HU support these buttons?
The HU is currently fitted on a 2013 1.2 TDI highline and it has the same steering controls as the preface lift GT TDI I think. They work with no issues.

Quote:
- I am not a great D.I.Y guy, so would all the necessary components be bundled along with this package or should I order any thing separately?
Nope its completely plug and play for the 2013 1.2 TDI. You might need a USD extension cable though as one of the USB ports terminates at a very short length.

Quote:
- Is USB and SD card slots available on this HU or must be ordered separately?
It has two micro SD card slots one for GPS and the other for data files. Two USB ports were built in.

Quote:
- The seller on Ali-express claims the maps are available for India. So does this come preloaded with India maps?
Yes it was bundled with iGO navigation, and it works in India. However there are lot of errors in the names of streets and it is hard to locate stuff at street level and it also tends to crash, that could be because its a cracked version of the software.

Quote:
- I have no immediate intention of installing Sub and Amp in my GT. So with the OEM speaker set up, is the sound quality acceptable?
This is a tough one, okay with the stock speakers sound quality can be made to match the stock player if you fiddle around with the 10 band EQ (its a really nice EQ and has good spread of frequencies) it has built in. If you are planning to upgrade your speakers add an amp and sub, below is a note from my friend

"The sound is a tad bright and rather forward, it tends to compress the sound stage. This works great for EDM and Rock (studio recordings) however for classical, jazz and live recordings this will not be my preferred source"

Quote:
Really sorry if I have bothered you with many questions, I am just making sure that I order something that is at least good if not excellent.
No problems hope I've answered all your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
But the display looks incorrect. Why are the front sensors shown instead of the rear?

What variant of Polo is this? Which year, specifically? Pre-facelift?
That is correct as the car does not have front senors the display always shows full proximity, the rear sensor OPS is what actually works and the were no obstacles when the picture was taken. Its fitted on the pre-facelift 2013 1.2 TDI Highline.
GTPower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 11:59   #66
mxh
BHPian

Just curious about why you changed the OEM HU? Which additional features were you looking for? Did you upgrade your speakers too? In my Honda City the OEM HU seems to do what I need, but I am considering a speaker upgrade to get some better sound out of it.
Old 29th February 2016, 14:03   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Just curious about why you changed the OEM HU? Which additional features were you looking for? Did you upgrade your speakers too?

I was looking for a OEM lookalike HU with preouts, and no my speakers are currently stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
In my Honda City the OEM HU seems to do what I need, but I am considering a speaker upgrade to get some better sound out of it.
This is a personal preference, as while upgrading to after market speakers might give you a wider range of frequencies when compared to the stock you usually tend to loose some bass. As a car door is a less than ideal enclosure the "fs" (I think that's what its called) of the speaker needs to be critically analysed. So even if you install speakers with lower bass extension you may still not feel it. Then come other aspects like sensitivity and so on. So if considering upgrading only the speakers I suggest you take a listen to someone who has upgraded to the same speakers you are planning to install and take a call.
GTPower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 15:33   #68
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase, I also picked up one 2 months back. I think the traffic in chennai is to be blamed for the FE you are getting otherwise it is a very fuel efficient car as I am getting over 14kmpl in chandigarh traffic.

I just recently upgraded the HU and speakers in my GT and you can try out the same speakers which are really worth and they connect with the stock VW connectors too. There are a lot of important options available in your HU which is great and Navigation is really a boon. I think you have made the right decision for that price. Here is the link to my audio setup :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...lo-gt-tsi.html
Old 29th February 2016, 17:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would also be upgrading my speakers to components but on this car, I was thinking of challenging myself to build a completely passive system. In my Estilo I just used a Audison bit One to tune the system, but this time it is gonna be all passive, custom passive crossovers, finding ideal tweeter locations rather than correcting them after fitting them and so on. You must get the picture by now.
With due respect to other ladies in our clan...

Someone pinch me and tell me if this is a dream or not! First time, i am seeing a member from fairer sex, who can talk enthusiast language when it comes to car, packs a subtle but effective sense of humor in write ups, Interested in Car Entertainment, Looks to build passive crossovers to get the sound right and talks about the need for Resonant freq analysis of the driver?

And where are you planning to do your installs. Please don't tell me 'DIY' and make a mockery of the stereotype we posses in our minds!

I am looking forward for your updates, in this regard! Do keep posting, mam!
Mi10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 09:29   #70
BHPian

Congratulations, GT Power, on getting yourself the best automatic hot hatch of the day.

Your review is very unusual and crisp. Reading through it was fun, though the comparison to the estilo was stretching it a bit. To quote:

"to be honest to myself I’ve had more fun revving the pistons off on my Dad's Estilo"

That's too bold a statement. Estilo IMO is nowhere close to a polo, what to say of the GT.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:37   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Priya,

Interesting review and views you have on your car there. Keep going with these reviews. However, not a fan of the Polo, but, its is the best Automatic Petrol hatch you can get. So, in the first place if you were looking for an Petrol Automatic, the critic in you should probably be having a lower or rather sub 10lac standards set, before penning down. And, yes, I know you had a good budget, but lets just say the market isnt mature enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Estilo IMO is nowhere close to a polo, what to say of the GT.
ummm.. Are you comparing the cars? I think Priya was comparing the engines. The 1.2 Petrol or Diesel polo with its 3 cylinders is no match to the four cylinder Estilo, which was actually fun.
Old 1st March 2016, 13:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

ummm.. Are you comparing the cars? I think Priya was comparing the engines. The 1.2 Petrol or Diesel polo with its 3 cylinders is no match to the four cylinder Estilo, which was actually fun.
Hey dhanushs, either you are way behind in the updates on Polo or probably completely confused yourself buddy

I am quite sure deepfusion was comparing Priya's GT TSI with the Estillo when he posted his thought.

Even if it was otherwise, there is only one 3 Cylinder 1.2 Ltr Petrol engine in VW Stable now. All the TDI engines are 4 Cylinder 1.5 Ltr versions.

I am sure you have driven the 1.2 TSI, 1.5 TDI (90 hp & 105 HP) versions of Polo. If not, please do and you will understand that these hatches offer sedans from a class above a run for their money buddy.

So Estillo may not even picture in the same frame

Last edited by Vik0728 : 1st March 2016 at 13:20.
Old 1st March 2016, 13:20   #73
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, GT Power, on getting yourself the best automatic hot hatch of the day.

Your review is very unusual and crisp. Reading through it was fun, though the comparison to the estilo was stretching it a bit. To quote:

"to be honest to myself I’ve had more fun revving the pistons off on my Dad's Estilo"

That's too bold a statement. Estilo IMO is nowhere close to a polo, what to say of the GT.
It's absolutely plausible. Powerful engine is actually lower down on the list of things that make a car fun. Communicative steering, suspension and rev happy engine note is far more important in a fun car.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 13:39   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey dhanushs, either you are way behind in the updates on Polo or probably completely confused yourself buddy

I am quite sure deepfusion was comparing Priya's GT TSI with the Estillo when he posted his thought.

So Estillo may not even picture in the same frame
Hi, please see the highlighted and underlined part in the quoted post below. I understand that he says, the regular polo is also so much fun that the estilo doesnt stand a chance? Sorry, I dont mean to go off-topic or start an Estilo Vs Polo, but, comparing both engines, "I" feel the four-pot estilo is better.
Quote:
Estilo IMO is nowhere close to a polo, what to say of the GT.
Old 2nd March 2016, 19:02   #75
BHPian

I read this review a couple of days ago and I decided to read it again and comment on it. The positive thing about this review is that it is brutally honest about the shortcomings of the GT TSI and all of us who own this car know exactly what they are however not everyone of us is so candid.

There are a lot of points in your review that just don't cut ice with most people. The fact that you purchased this car because of the prodding from one of your friends and not because you liked it in the first place is something most people would not do. When I purchase a vehicle I purchase it only if I am satisfied with what I am getting. Your comparison between the Polo and a 1990’s Merc in terms of the sturdiness or the noise levels in a Rolls Royce was totally unwarranted. Niche products such as the Merc and Rolls cannot be equated with a regular commuter vehicle such as the Polo. I feel that if you were looking for a car with a smattering of equipment levels in it then the newly launched Baleno (top end) would have been a better bet than a Polo. The most sacrilegious part of the review was when the engine of a car such as the GT TSI is compared with an Estilo . I was at a total loss of words after seeing that particular line. In all honesty I feel that you made a really big mistake purchasing the GT TSI when you should have gone for something way more expensive.
chase_nt is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks