Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:38   #76
BHPian

Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
There are a lot of points in your review that just don't cut ice with most people. The fact that you purchased this car because of the prodding from one of your friends and not because you liked it in the first place is something most people would not do. When I purchase a vehicle I purchase it only if I am satisfied with what I am getting.
Well having driving a Polo TDI a lot over the last few years, I had some idea what to expect, and unless a car is majorly flawed I personally can't judge much from a simple test drive.

Quote:
Your comparison between the Polo and a 1990’s Merc in terms of the sturdiness or the noise levels in a Rolls Royce was totally unwarranted. Niche products such as the Merc and Rolls cannot be equated with a regular commuter vehicle such as the Polo.
I agree but was it unwarranted? When the POLO was to said to have the famed "thud" so I added that to state the Germanic thud is not all a consistent level of evaluation. And the comparison with the Rolls was on a lighter note, Im sure that was understandable.

Quote:
I feel that if you were looking for a car with a smattering of equipment levels in it then the newly launched Baleno (top end) would have been a better bet than a Polo.
Never mentioned the car needed better equipment, the ICE was probably the only thing I mentioned and unless the Baleno has Burmester ICE I would most probably not be happy. ICE is a very subjective thing

Quote:
The most sacrilegious part of the review was when the engine of a car such as the GT TSI is compared with an Estilo . I was at a total loss of words after seeing that particular line. In all honesty I feel that you made a really big mistake purchasing the GT TSI when you should have gone for something way more expensive.
I think the only mistake here is thinking paying a lot more is the only way to get a fun car. I am going to respond to this by stating what I feel, I in no way wish to start a argument or make a point as I'm sure you love your GT as I love mine (perhaps for different reasons)

The VAG engines of late have seem to be robbed of character only in turn to be very liner and predictable, I am guess this has something to do with the VAG's wide spread implementation of low cost DSG's which simply cannot handle the "torque shock" (I am not talking about maximum torque an engine produces). This also probably explains why VW probably ditched the twin charged engines in their long term strategy for low cost cars. And also keep in mind the engine fitted to the Estilo made its debut in the current form on the Alto Vxi (early 2000's) and continues to have a certain fun factor which the VW engine misses out on. Make no mistake though the 1.2 TSI is a very good engine, all I said was it has no character that will leave a lasting impression, it's a bit too commuter like. (if I may steal a term from your post)

And the words I would use to describe the GT are "mature", "stable", "well built" none of which can be attributed to a "fun hatch". This is of course my opinion and I'm sure many would agree and many would not

And to everyone my apologies for
GTPower is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 23:50   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTPower Why don't you consider tyre upsize or changing the spring/struts for better handling? TRW struts is a cheaper option to fix the stock soft suspension. I have driven a remapped polo gt tsi and it was insane.
Old 21st March 2016, 12:13   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
@GTPower Why don't you consider tyre upsize or changing the spring/struts for better handling? TRW struts is a cheaper option to fix the stock soft suspension. I have driven a remapped polo gt tsi and it was insane.
I could but that will mess with my warranty.

Sorry I have been away for a while, but I just got my car detailed, details can be found in the link below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...y-vw-polo.html
Old 21st March 2016, 21:22   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
Well having driving a Polo TDI a lot over the last few years, I had some idea what to expect, and unless a car is majorly flawed I personally can't judge much from a simple test drive.

I agree but was it unwarranted? When the POLO was to said to have the famed "thud" so I added that to state the Germanic thud is not all a consistent level of evaluation.
Was the thud evident in the Polo TDI you've driven a lot over the years?
Old 21st March 2016, 22:03   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Was the thud evident in the Polo TDI you've driven a lot over the years?
I'm not sure I never specifically paid attention to it. However what I can say is the metal used in my polo may different. As when I was polishing it the reverberations from the bonnet was much higher as the polisher was going over it. However this is a 'maybe'. On that note my friend has sold his tdi and will be picking up the abarth punto tomorrow
Old 22nd March 2016, 02:53   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
I'm not sure I never specifically paid attention to it. However what I can say is the metal used in my polo may different. As when I was polishing it the reverberations from the bonnet was much higher as the polisher was going over it. However this is a 'maybe'.
Oh .... you have polished your friend's Polo too!
Do you remember applying the same amount of pressure on the bonnet when polishing both . Isn't it possible your hand was stronger then or weaker now or vice versa?

Was the same polisher used with the same speed ?

Are the thuds from slamming down the bonnets identical?

(This somehow reminds me of the court scene from" My Cousin Vinny")!
Old 22nd March 2016, 06:28   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I read this review a couple of days ago and I decided to read it again and comment on it.
You were so late to the party

That's quite an interesting list of cars you have owned. Browsed through the BHP Garage as well to read the story behind each car. Nice read.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:16   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Oh .... you have polished your friend's Polo too!
Do you remember applying the same amount of pressure on the bonnet when polishing both . Isn't it possible your hand was stronger then or weaker now or vice versa?

Was the same polisher used with the same speed ?

Are the thuds from slamming down the bonnets identical?

(This somehow reminds me of the court scene from" My Cousin Vinny")!
No me but we. I was thought how to on his car. Yes polisher speeds are the same, 3 on the initial sweep and 6 for the remaining.

And no I don't normally play around slamming doors and bonnets to hear their sounds so honestly can't answer that. If you are that serious on the sounds you'll probably need measuring equipment.
GTPower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 20:20   #84
BHPian

Very interesting take on a car that's very popular amongst the Indian enthusiasts. I've just TD'd the car yesterday and I'm seriously considering getting it too. I'm waiting to drive the Figo automatic before I take a call. My requirements are simple. I'm looking for a small automatic that doesn't bore me to death if I take it out on the highway. I'm mentioning this because this is how I set expectations before I drove the car
My first text to my wife as soon as i was done with the TD was.. This car is awesome.

Let me be clear it does have its down points. Cramped rear seats. Light steering, especially after the BMW I drive everyday. Handling at triple digit speeds is something I want to try before I write a cheque but at speeds upto 80-90kmph it seemed fine.

It's all about setting realistic expectations I guess. When i test out the Figo I'm going to lower my expectations further or else it would just not make sense.
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 20:37   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
Very interesting take on a car that's very popular amongst the Indian enthusiasts. I've just TD'd the car yesterday and I'm seriously considering getting it too. I'm waiting to drive the Figo automatic before I take a call. My requirements are simple. I'm looking for a small automatic that doesn't bore me to death if I take it out on the highway. I'm mentioning this because this is how I set expectations before I drove the car
My first text to my wife as soon as i was done with the TD was.. This car is awesome.

Let me be clear it does have its down points. Cramped rear seats. Light steering, especially after the BMW I drive everyday. Handling at triple digit speeds is something I want to try before I write a cheque but at speeds upto 80-90kmph it seemed fine.

It's all about setting realistic expectations I guess. When i test out the Figo I'm going to lower my expectations further or else it would just not make sense.
Was in the same situation as you - required a daily driver and let me tell you that the figo stands zero chance compared to the polo in terms of grunt. Also the interior and creature comforts in the figo are really low rent. Just buy the GT TSi.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 21:02   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Was in the same situation as you - required a daily driver and let me tell you that the figo stands zero chance compared to the polo in terms of grunt. Also the interior and creature comforts in the figo are really low rent. Just buy the GT TSi.
Did you get the GT tsi? My brother wants me to try out the Nissan micra too before I take a call and that's only because it's almost 4 lakhs cheaper than the Polo and about 1.5 lakh cheaper than the Figo
Old 3rd September 2016, 21:42   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
Did you get the GT tsi? My brother wants me to try out the Nissan micra too before I take a call and that's only because it's almost 4 lakhs cheaper than the Polo and about 1.5 lakh cheaper than the Figo
Yep got the GT not so long ago. Don't bother with the rest they will not impress you at all.

Micra is just horrible - noisy clattery 3 cylinder engine with cvt and the car looks like a frog.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 3rd September 2016 at 21:56.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 06:12   #88
BHPian

My feelings towards the GT are exactly the same as OP. A good car masquerading as a great car, simply due to the lack of any real competition.

It is only natural to feel a little underwhelmed, when what you buy does not match up to its hype or big-ticket billing. I fail to understand why this thread is so charged up.
Old 7th September 2016, 11:30   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
My feelings towards the GT are exactly the same as OP. A good car masquerading as a great car, simply due to the lack of any real competition.
I'm not sure what you'd want from it in order to qualify as a "great" car - indeed what yardstick should one use to judge if not the car's competition at its price point?
Old 7th September 2016, 12:17   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I'm not sure what you'd want from it in order to qualify as a "great" car - indeed what yardstick should one use to judge if not the car's competition at its price point?
I get you what you are saying. Honestly, I realize that I'm not being objective at all. Being objective is not everything, when it comes to cars or other hedonistic pursuits. And, I don't expect anyone to make their purchase decisions based on my claptrap.

I just felt underwhelmed after driving the GT a few times. I couldn't fathom what the fuss was all about. I guess this has a lot to do with one's preconceived notions of a car and past car experiences.

So, the yardstick is I should feel excited when I get out and get in to drive a car, to qualify as a great car, irrespective of price-point, etc.

Now doubt that the Polo TSI is the BEST automatic small car that you can get in its price-point, but it does NOT automatically qualify it to be a great car. Truce?

This situation will only change if VW decides to locally manufacture a 5-door Polo with a 1.4 TSI or 1.8 TSI engine, or if Fiat decides to plonk in an automatic tranny into its Abarth Punto.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 7th September 2016 at 12:36.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks