Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2017, 17:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My 2017 Mercedes C220d Avantgarde - Wows every time you step in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I have a W205 - C250d. I haven't noticed any underbody noise. Yes you will hear the suspension thud through if you hit a pothole at speed.

I have set 36 psi on all 4 Tyres and they seem alright. The stock tyres are Bridgestone Turanza RFTs.

Yes the acceleration is linear , but have to say that in sport+ and in kick down the car can be really quick. Not sure if it's down to the difference in torque and the gearbox between the two variants. Are you by any chance comparing it in comfort mode ?
Thanks for the revert - was following your thread on picking up the C250, and it is a beautiful car!

Suspension thud is fine, in my case it is as though there is no underbody insulation and whenever going over a manhole cover / steel ridge you can hear it seep into the cabin quite loudly (and only from the underbody)! Guess i should show it to Mercedes, and check if it is normal.

Engine is in Sport whenever I get the opportunity for a spirited drive - just feels a lot more linear than the 3 series.

Will get my tyre pressure checked once - thank you!
Old 6th March 2017, 17:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the best member written reviews I've come across on T-BHP in the past few years. It's on T-BHP level of car reviews!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The spare wheel sits in the dickey eating luggage space. Biggest con ever when planning out of town trips - which is a shame as the car truly shines on such trips, munching away miles effortlessly!
I am very surprised that a car like this doesn't have a dedicated provision for the spare wheel storage under the mat in the dickey. What's under the mat in the dickey of the C-Class?
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 17:28   #18
BHPian

The C is definitely very royal feel and look both inside and out, but the spare tyre eating up most of the trunk space is a big turn off.
Old 6th March 2017, 18:50   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on the car mate. The colour on the car really feels majestic and royal
Old 6th March 2017, 19:45   #20
BHPian

Congrats on the sexiest luxury merc! The 3/C/A4 range has always been a nice balance of luxury/comfort/performance/handling. It looks really royal in that deep blue.

C looks more youthful and fresher than its larger brothers. Any particular reasons for not going for c250d?
Old 7th March 2017, 06:49   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride!. It looks fabulous and classy and the choice of colour is great.
Thank you for your very detailed review of your car. As far as reviews go, can't get better than that.
Mercedes seem to have really topped the design language, among the three premium German brands. IMO, the new class of mercs look the best with their flowing smooth curvy lines.
Have you taken STAR EASE comprehensive service and maintenance package?.
Wishing you tons of fun with your ride.

Cheerio!
Old 7th March 2017, 07:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Great review! Could you tell me some more about your trim and how it differs from the Cs, please?
Hi AbelAFC

As far as i could gather, The C class comes in 3 diesel variants ( C220d Style, C220d Avantgarde and C250D Avantgarde ) and 1 petrol variant in c200 Avantgarde. Mercedes India also seems to have done minor revisions with small updates within these. For e.g. The pricelist I had showed Avantgarde 1 , 2 and 3 and Style in an old and new price.

The feature wise difference between Avantgarde and Style in C Class is this.
My 2017 Mercedes C220d Avantgarde - Wows every time you step in-features-avantgarde-over-style-c-class.jpg

But for me , there were only 2 things that made me go for the higher priced Avantgarde ( Got it at about 2 L higher )
  • Panoramic Sunroof
  • Ambient lighting system ( Wasn't there in the previous revision of Avantgarde itself)

Having made up the mind to spend so much , my wife's was questioning why hesitate on the last 2 lakhs and that was the last push I needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
1. Can you tell more about the post purchase experience

I am looking forward to your pre-buy research. Your observation on a choice for every Rs 2 lakhs from 30 to 50 is very interesting. I am in the market for a purchase in the 35 to 65 range and would be most keen to read your post on this. Thanks in advance for your efforts. Narayan
Sure, I intend to write a longish post on these two topics in a few days.

Quote:
2. Is the spare wheel set in a cavity in the dickey or does it sit on the top eating into luggage space
Yes - its sits in the boot and eats into the space. Mercedes doesn't customize the base of the car for India and there isn't simply enough of a cavity in the frame to allow for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations! The C in my opinion, is one on the most sorted out design in the current Mercedes line-up. It looks modern and still have a very mature and elegant feel to it; something which is important for a graceful ageing. Only thing I don’t like about the C is the iPad like screen. They should have kept that design only for the FWD models (A, B, CLA and GLA).
I have a similar view , and its not so much about the "stick-on" design that a lot of merc owners seem to hate. I hate the response speed of the system , its like an android phone from 5 years ago - super slow. Will write up more details in a separate post on the infotainment unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Congratulations Redindian. The C is stately and mature looking with fantastic interiors. The Cavansite Blue does look really good.

Do you also get Garmin Pilot maps with your Avantgarde 3 model ?

Looks like they have added ambient lighting and illuminated door sills for the Avantagatde 3 variant.
I got some version of the Garmin Navigation system , not sure if it's all the same. In my opinion all of these pale in comparison to simply implementing carplay or android auto and connecting to google maps - you get up-to date directions, traffic and more. The new CLA gets android auto and carplay functionality. Mercedes might bring that in the C Class in Avantgarde 4 maybe

Quote:
What else are in the feature list ? How much more are they charging over the Avantgarde ?
Posted this a couple of replies back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpkumar View Post
BTW, I too am curious about why you felt that the C is a better driver's car than the 3 series. Like most others, I was under the impression that the 3 is a better driver's car. Would love to hear your thoughts behind this.
I know it's a controversial statement before I made it even. I will attempt to give a slightly deeper perspective on this shortly , but in a gist - I am not debating that C feels better to drive than a 3 series in the way a lot of folks assess it. Instead I am actually trying to look at what a driver's car means for me in a slightly different lens and question - "is it a package that makes you feel excited every time you step in" and in that the C Class came closer to what I wanted than a 320D Sportline. More on that in a separate post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Congrats on the sexiest luxury merc! The 3/C/A4 range has always been a nice balance of luxury/comfort/performance/handling. It looks really royal in that deep blue.

C looks more youthful and fresher than its larger brothers. Any particular reasons for not going for c250d?
The 250D was coming at a much higher price and the engine felt a bit more gruffy when you start it up . I started this new car journey with a budget for a CLA / GLA / X1 range and ended up almost 30% higher ! Didn't want to keep pushing it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Have you taken STAR EASE comprehensive service and maintenance package?.
Wishing you tons of fun with your ride.

Cheerio!
I have actually leased the car thru Orix and included an all inclusive maintenance & insurance package along with a change of battery and tyres once in the 3 year period - so for the first three years, I am clear. Hope it doesn't get worse after that if I decide to keep the same car with me.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2017 at 22:52. Reason: Merging back to back posts
redindian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 10:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redindian View Post
I have actually leased the car thru Orix and included an all inclusive maintenance & insurance package along with a change of battery and tyres once in the 3 year period - so for the first three years, I am clear. Hope it doesn't get worse after that if I decide to keep the same car with me.
Please can you explain how the package works? Also did you get any discounts? Was this purchase end of 2016? Thanks in advance.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 18:09   #24
BHPian

Congratulations @redindian. What a beauty! The blue color looks amazing and the way you described the interiors in words with ambient lighting etc. and as seen in pictures, it just 'Wows' me. Great choice!
Old 8th March 2017, 10:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations redindian! A friend of mine has the same variant and trim and I had the good pleasure of driving it from Bangalore to Chennai. I found the car to be simply fantastic. Cruising in the 3-digit mark with barely any throttle input and the revs hanging at a low 2000rpm. Extremely responsive and the cabin is so well insulated that there was no way of telling it was a diesel engine.

I think you've made a great choice. All the best and wish you many miles of happy motoring!!
Old 13th March 2017, 14:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redindian View Post
But for me , there were only 2 things that made me go for the higher priced Avantgarde ( Got it at about 2 L higher )
  • Panoramic Sunroof
  • Ambient lighting system ( Wasn't there in the previous revision of Avantgarde itself)
Actually the Parktronic system with sensors were missing with the previous revision of the Avantgarde too.

Mine is a 2016 one and in addition to that, the one thing that I miss is memory seats. My older X1 had those and this does not....irritating if you have more than one member of the family driving the car. And to imagine Mercedes thought to leave out memory seats for driver on a C class.
Old 13th March 2017, 20:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpkumar View Post
Congratulations Redindian on the C! Love the colour of your car - has a very deep richness to it - great colour choice!

BTW, I too am curious about why you felt that the C is a better driver's car than the 3 series. Like most others, I was under the impression that the 3 is a better driver's car. Would love to hear your thoughts behind this.

Enjoy your new drive

Best,
anandpkumar

I too share this query. We have a C200 and 320D at home, and my view is that the 3 series is significantly better to drive.
- 8 speed ZF is miles better than 7G, especially in downshifts
- I find steering of the 3 more direct vs. the C
- outright performance in Sport+ seems superior in the 3 (I know diesel vs. petrol is not a fair comparison)

The C does have several advantages though:
- much better NVH
- vastly superior interiors
- nice airy back seat, although space is similar

To summarize: my dad prefers to be driven in the C, while I prefer to drive the 3 😊

I would love to hear your take.

Take care and thanks for a great review!
Old 10th May 2017, 12:19   #28
BHPian

Nicely written review, redindian. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!!

The new C class is truly amazing in terms of interiors design and quality.

Is the seat memory function absent in all three models or is it there in C250?
Old 8th July 2017, 21:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
- I find the ride in the C to be excessively bumpy! What tires are you using, !
I have a 220D (W205, 2016 model) and it was running at 36 PSI as per Mercedes recommendation, extremely bumpy to say the least. In a casual conversation with Merc rep he expressed surprise that I was running at 36 and recommended 32 psi. Now the ride is far more supple and befits a Merc ride, suggest you do that if you are a lone rider without suggest most of the time, like me.
alabjarus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 21:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Nicely written review, redindian. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!!

The new C class is truly amazing in terms of interiors design and quality.

Is the seat memory function absent in all three models or is it there in C250?

No memory function in the C250 as well. If you don't mind it doesn't matter. The thrills in the C250 are elsewhere. These features feel trivial after some time. The 9 speed auto is a gem and the 204 horses along with the 5oo nm of torque is there to be enjoyed. What was your question on memory seats ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks