Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 23:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Uptown Red Racer - The Maruti Ignis Delta 1.2L Automatic comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Well, until, it becomes a common car, don't worry about the ungainly rear-end. That is a problem for the people following you! lol!I like how your wife helped you to clear the thought process.
Thanks! Tiago does seem very convincing with all the wonderful and loaded features until you realize that engine beneath could be better. I do see a lot of people complaining about the 3 cylinder engine on the Tigor but most people seem to accept the same with the Tiago, maybe due to the price factor. The sales figures of Tigor also seem to reflect this.

Agree with your point, the rear appearance is a problem for those following the car and not for those inside it Do update once you finalize on your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Congratulations! I love the colour you chose. Yes, the rear of the vehicle could've been better. Worry less, you learn to like it. that's the plus of ownership. Enjoy and drive safe.
Thanks! The Red has a bit of Orange in it and it looks different based on the amount of sun light falling on it. I should possibly post more pictures that show the color variance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmech View Post
Fantastic review, I am in the same boat as you. I have enjoyed your comparison chart.
Did you not consider Wagon R AMT?
I somehow liked the styling of the Celerio more as compared to the Wagon R and hence only test drove the Celerio AMT. But I agree, that Wagon R is yet another car that falls in the same price bracket. I have updated my comparison chart to include the Wagon R Vxi+ (O) for your reference.

Uptown Red Racer - The Maruti Ignis Delta 1.2L Automatic comes home-automatic_cars_v1.1.jpg
Comparison Chart v1.1 - Includes Wagon R (Click on Image to Enlarge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Congratulations on the new addition to the stable!
How would you compare the Ignis to the Swift Dzire? specifically the AMT to the 4 speed torque converter in terms of mileage and long term reliability? I'm helping someone chose between the Ignis, Dzire and Baleno (which may not be considered due to budget) and these are questions I need to address for them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
The Dzire also comes with the same AMT Setup as the Ignis and hence would be similar if not better than the Ignis. I am yet to test drive the 2017 Dzire and hence cannot comment on it. The 4 Speed Torque Converter is the one that comes on the Grand i10. The performance of that one in terms of the gear shift experience is definitely superior to the AMT on the Ignis. The Baleno comes with a CVT which is again different from the AMT and the 4 Speed Torque Converter of the i10. The Baleno Delta CVT is priced at 8.65 L and as you have called out its on the higher side of the budget. The CVT is a more superior technology as compared to the AGS technology. A CVT will not provide a Manual Mode but does have a "L" mode which can be used when driving up steep inclines.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th June 2017 at 00:00.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 18:52   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride. Wishing you thousands of safe and happy miles !

Nice color this. I haven't seen this color on the roads here. Also the Bridgestone Ecopia are pretty decent tires. Probably not fair if you compare them to Michelin ST3 or the likes in terms of noise.

Keep updating the thread and enjoying your drives.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 10:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Also the Bridgestone Ecopia are pretty decent tires.
Agree - the Bridgestones seem to be decent tires so far. Also for the Ignis stock tire specification, the Michelin P3ST is not available (175/65 R15) - only the XM2 is available in that spec. P3ST starts with 195/60 R15. I do have the XM2s on my other car and extremely happy with those as well
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 12:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Agree - the Bridgestones seem to be decent tires so far. Also for the Ignis stock tire specification, the Michelin P3ST is not available (175/65 R15) - only the XM2 is available in that spec. P3ST starts with 195/60 R15. I do have the XM2s on my other car and extremely happy with those as well
Yes I forgot the P3ST is Civic stock size compatible. I also have been using the XM2's on my Honda City for the last 30k km approximately and am pretty happy. My car came shod with stock XM1's which had considerably more tyre noise as compared to these.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 20:32   #20
BHPian

If possible for added stability and looks I would recommend to upgrade to 185/65/15 XM2s with the added benefit of increased GC.
drchernish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 21:45   #21
BHPian

If you wish to upgrade prefer 195/60 r15 size. Variation in size is minimum. Ground clearance of 180mm quite sufficient. Increasing ground clearance won't give any positive benefits.
hemen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 21:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
If possible for added stability and looks I would recommend to upgrade to 185/65/15 XM2s with the added benefit of increased GC.
Thank you for the recommendation - although i have not done very high speeds yet, I did do a decent 115 kph on the Ignis and the stability and grip levels of the vehicle with the stock tires are excellent.

Further, any tire swaps would need to be done immediately or within the first 100-150kms to get a good exchange value for the stock tires. Given that I have clocked 400+ kms already, its too late for the exchange to get me a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
If you wish to upgrade prefer 195/60 r15 size. Variation in size is minimum. Ground clearance of 180mm quite sufficient. Increasing ground clearance won't give any positive benefits.
Agree with your points. I have done the same upgrade on my primary car (Honda City iDTEC) - 195/60 R15. For the Ignis though, I feel the tire size is done right and does not warrant an upgrade. And yes, like you have rightly called out, the default GC of 180 mm is sufficient
Old 23rd November 2017, 18:24   #23

@vsrivatsa

Just curious, since you've had the car for a while now, how do you like the AMT unit in the Ignis? I'm in the market for an AT as well and Ignis is emerging as a front runner for my budget. But the thread out Maruti's AMT woes has me a bit worried. Could you please share your feedback - usage, expenses, transmission jerks, etc?
Old 23rd November 2017, 23:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnescrpy View Post
@vsrivatsa

Just curious, since you've had the car for a while now, how do you like the AMT unit in the Ignis? I'm in the market for an AT as well and Ignis is emerging as a front runner for my budget. But the thread out Maruti's AMT woes has me a bit worried. Could you please share your feedback - usage, expenses, transmission jerks, etc?
I have completed 4,600 kms on the Ignis AMT and not faced any kind of juddering issue called out in the "AMT woes" thread. I am also part of a Ignis Owners WhatsApp group where there are multiple AMT owners which includes Diesel and Petrol Ignis owners and nobody has reported any issue with the AMT so far. One guy has crossed 10,000 kms on
his Petrol AMT as well already.

I cannot comment much on the expenses as the first 3 services are free and I am leaving the car for second service soon. The car is giving me a mileage in the range of 13.5 km/L to 15.5 km/L in city driving based on traffic conditions. The handling of the car at speeds up to 120 kph is excellent for a car of this height and despite the lighter weight. Power is available in abundance and the car feels peppy at higher gears.

Now coming to the actual AMT experience - it is a bit clunky until you reach the second gear. This is an inherent weakness of this AMT technology and is present in all cars that use this technology. Compared to the Wagon R, Celerio or the Tata Tiago, the Ignis AMT experience is definitely superior

Also, the Change of gear does not happen at RPM below 2000 rpm which one needs to get used to. As an experienced driver the shift of gear from first to second was irritating many a times and took time getting used to. However, my wife who is a beginner loves the AMT experience and says it makes driving very easy.

If mileage is not a concern then the Torque Converter unit on the Grand i10 offers a superior experience to the Ignis but I believe the mileage on the TC is very low.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:19   #25

Thanks, it's good to know that you aren't experiencing the any of the AMT woes. The mileage seems decent too.

I did test drive the Ignis and felt like I had a good view of the road. Has it been same experience for you? Any blind spots noticed?

Maruti says that the Ignis is compliant with upcoming Indian safety regulations. Do you feel the Ignis lives up to this - I mean does it "feel" well built? I couldn't tell much during the very short test drive.

No i10 since there's one already at home. Plus some essential safety features are lacking in the i10.

Thank you!
Old 18th December 2017, 15:08   #26
BHPian

Hi vsrivatsa,

I have a pretty similar situation like when you had bought the Ignis.

I have a 2014 Honda City iVtech which I absolutely love. I need a second small hatchback for City that my dad can drive too. He current;y takes uber and for very short distances, his Vespa. He left driving almost 10 years back. We established that we need an automatic.

He is willing to spend 4-4.5 lakhs on a car and wants it on cash and no loans as he is retired. He refused the option of me taking a loan for any premium that he pays over his budget. He wants a car where we will spend the least in ASS. So Maruti is the only company we are looking at.

He wanted the Alto K10 but I told him, I would never drive it as I do not fit into it. I proved my point when I took him to the dealership and he himself said no.
I showed him Ignis and Celerio AMT. He liked Ignis but it is going way above his budget. I will talk about the prices in a while.

He has finally agreed on Celerio ZXi (O) AMT. It will cost us 5.7 lakhs. He agreed to pay more because he knows that he will not drive that often, so the car should be something that I too am willing to drive.
But I personally do not like Celerio that much when I know with a little more we can own an Ignis.

Igni Delta will cost us around 6.1 lakhs but it lacks rear defogger, wiper, and washer which is Important in Delhi.
The Zeta is 6.8 (1.1 lakhs over Celerio and 2-2.5 lakhs over his initial budget) but it has rear defogger, wiper washer, fog lamps and a lot of cosmetic touches like alloys wheels and wheel arch cladding and black roof....

I do not know how to convince him. I am willing to take a loan but he and my wife are against it.

Quote:
As some of the BHPians are aware I own a 2014 Honda City i-DTEC and have been enjoying my ride (Link). The City ODO stands at 41,500 kms as of today and it has ................more than what one could ask for!
car-o-phile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 19:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnescrpy View Post
Thanks, it's good to know that you aren't experiencing the any of the AMT woes. The mileage seems decent too.

I did test drive the Ignis and felt like I had a good view of the road. Has it been same experience for you? Any blind spots noticed?

Maruti says that the Ignis is compliant with upcoming Indian safety regulations. Do you feel the Ignis lives up to this - I mean does it "feel" well built? I couldn't tell much during the very short test drive.

No i10 since there's one already at home. Plus some essential safety features are lacking in the i10.
The view of the road is excellent. The A Pillar on the right is quite thick but one gets used to it. The Ground Clearance is good for the Indian Road Conditions. High Speed stability is also excellent - the vehicle is extremely stable at speeds like 120 kph. The braking too is sharp and confidence inspiring with ABS and EBD standard across all variants

Now, coming to the Build Quality, I think the Ignis has a better Build quality than the Baleno. That said everything is a relative comparison and it is a light car if you are to compare with cars like the Tata Tiago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-phile View Post
Hi vsrivatsa,

He is willing to spend 4-4.5 lakhs on a car and wants it on cash and no loans as he is retired. He refused the option of me taking a loan for any premium that he pays over his budget. He wants a car where we will spend the least in ASS. So Maruti is the only company we are looking at.

He has finally agreed on Celerio ZXi (O) AMT. It will cost us 5.7 lakhs. He agreed to pay more because he knows that he will not drive that often, so the car should be something that I too am willing to drive.
But I personally do not like Celerio that much when I know with a little more we can own an Ignis.

I do not know how to convince him. I am willing to take a loan but he and my wife are against it.
That's a tough one. Maybe you can showcase to him aspects like the benefits of going in for a 4 cylinder car. However, I must say the Celerio is not a bad deal either except for the Engine - it is total value for money at its price. But I hope you have gone thru the "Maruti AMT woes" thread ? - if not here is the URL...

In summary, as reported on the above thread, there are a lot of Celerio Users who are facing some issues with the AMT Module on the Celerio. While the same identical module is used on the Ignis, there are no issues reported so far. I have completed 5,200 kms till date and did not face any of the issues reported on the AMT Issues thread. This could be another potential reason to choose the Ignis...
Old 18th December 2017, 21:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:

That's a tough one. Maybe you can showcase to him aspects like the benefits of going in for a 4 cylinder car. However, I must say the Celerio is not a bad deal either except for the Engine - it is total value for money at its price. But I hope you have gone thru the "Maruti AMT woes" thread ? - if not here is the URL...

In summary, as reported on the above thread, there are a lot of Celerio Users who are facing some issues with the AMT Module on the Celerio. While the same identical module is used on the Ignis, there are no issues reported so far. I have completed 5,200 kms till date and did not face any of the issues reported on the AMT Issues thread. This could be another potential reason to choose the Ignis...
That's a tough one indeed. I just cannot convince my dad when it comes to money. He is a banker and always put money above it. :-D
Old 18th December 2017, 22:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a tough one indeed. I just cannot convince my dad when it comes to money. He is a banker and always put money above it. :-D
Would the Tiago Automatic work for him? While it is still a 3 cylinder - I think the Build Quality is superior to the Celerio and one gets loads of goodies. With the AMC schemes - owning a Tata may also be less risky.

But then for someone who has decided on Maruti - shifting to Tata may not sound like a good idea. But in my own analysis the Tiago came a close 2nd after the Ignis and was definetely ahead of Celerio. Further the AMT issues have not been reported on Tata vehicles such as Zest.
Old 18th December 2017, 23:23   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Look for a used Ignis Auto, if possible.

Buying a car that you don't like is just like marrying a girl whom you don't like. You will always repent when you look at it or drive it.

Try to convince him that Celerio and Ignis are cars those are from 2 different segments - Celerio is A+, while Ignis is B segmenter. Take a test drive, and you will realise the difference.

You can spend the remaining 2L.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks