Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2017, 23:04   #31
BHPian

Re: Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello

Congrats on the purchase and wishing you many many trouble free miles with this beauty. Once you get used to the driving dynamics of this car, you'll find it hard to let go of her.
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 23:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Update on AC:

After a long wait the AC was finally fixed. There were challenges with the replacement compressor. First, parts supplies were delayed due to GST-related issues. Second, the brand new Sanden compressor was found to be faulty after installation. Replacement under warranty meant a further week's delay. Anyway, got the car back today with the AC working well. Required VAG COM coding as well, and the new compressor had to be "learnt" by the ECU - which entailed driving it for at least 20 kms before the compressor started up. First time I've seen this sort of thing - apparently this is a feature in all post-2011 Skoda Lauras.

Update on Bluetooth:
The 9W7 BT kit was installed successfully at a nearby car audio shop recommended by a friend. I couldn't click any installation pics, but outlining the steps below:
- Opened up the HU and tested the BT kit, which included the BT module, mic and harness. Worked perfectly. In fact, I didn't have to do any VAG COM coding to see the BT phone menu in the Maxidot cluster as I had thought I would. Great! [actually not so great - will explain below**]
- Wiring the BT module wasn't easy as pulling the thick BT wiring loom behind the dash was tough. Wiring the mic was easier, routing it from the stock mic location in the map light cluster through the headliner, down the left A-pillar, through the side panel of the dash, behind the dash to the rear of the HU location. One casualty though, was the map light fixture frame - the installer had tried to pry the fitting open, and managed to crack and break one side of the frame. I had read about the proper way online (pop out the glass unit and then unscrew the fixture) but couldn't stop him in time. The frame was glued together and re-fitted. The crack is visible if you know where to look, but won't generally catch the eye. Will have to live with it.
- Fitted the BT module box behind the central console, accessed via the passenger-side footwell. Snug fit, with a foam padding, so no rattles so far. Avoided the stock location under the driver's seat as it involved more wiring and taking apart more panels.
- Didn't have a VAG COM handy so couldn't run a scan post install.

Car was given for AC compressor change the next day to Wagenwerkz. Even after installing the new compressor there were issues in starting it up. **A scan revealed a BCM error. The BT module had to be coded properly (telephone). Once done, things were fine.

Parking sensor issue

A weird issue popped up with the parking sensor after fitting the BT module. No clue if it is related. The left and right rear sensors were somehow interchanged on the head unit display. Another scan then revealed that the RHS rear sensor wasn't working. Needs to be replaced. I have ordered a replacement sensor (single piece) from Aliexpress. Hoping it will resolve the matter.

Feedback on the BT kit
It's an excellent upgrade. The 9W7 kit has allowed me to retain the stock HU and simply unlock a range of new features that were already built into the HU and maxidot cluster. No exposed wires, no aftermarket HU and I get to retain the excellent audio quality offered up by the Bolero + Skoda amp & speaker setup. Was listening to some rock today streamed off the phone (via Apple Music app) and it sounded really nice.

Some pics of the upgraded BT setup

Phone info and menu on Maxidot cluster:
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt1.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt2.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt3.jpg

BT Audio on head unit. Playing off iPhone Apple Music app. Great sound quality. Can pause, play, stop and change tracks via head unit directly. Can also use the steering wheel buttons to change tracks. Cool!
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt4.jpg

Audio info on Maxidot cluster:
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt5.jpg

Finally, a nice pic of the car after it came back. Note the exhaust tips!
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-ext11.jpg
razor4077 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 19:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Remapped!

So I bit the bullet and went in for the Pete's Stage 1 remap Which they claim takes the car to around 170 BHP and 400 NM. Whether that's true or not I don't know because I haven't dyno'd the car. Others running this same map have, however, and they have verified this claim. Remap is by Custom Code as per Pete's Mumbai representative.

Anyway, whatever the numbers are, this is what I FELT:
- Car pulls much cleaner now while driving normally in traffic and also open stretches. There was a "heaviness" (don't know how else to describe it) in the pickup earlier. I think that was a side effect of the post-dieselgate remap. That is completely gone now and the car feels much freer now.
- Stomping on the accelerator even in "D" causes wheelspin. Never had wheelspin earlier, even in "S"!
- Accelerating normally or slightly aggressively causes no wheelspin, and the car moves through the gears beautifully.
- There was a droning noise and vibration at low revs pre-remap. This again was possibly a post-dieselgate remap after-effect. Have driven other cars with the same 2.0 TDI engine in pre and post dieselgate-remap states and there was a marked difference in low rev NVH levels. This vibration and droning noise has all but disappeared post the new remap!
- Drove the car at a fair clip on a few stretches today and it felt great. The acceleration is much better and the car just leaps forward when you floor it. Couldn't test the top-end much given the lack of open stretches but this is something I'm looking forward to doing!!
- Have been told that the car will "learn" the new map over the next 200 kms and the performance will improve further thereafter.

Fingers crossed that all remains well and I really enjoy this upgrade!!

Last edited by razor4077 : 14th September 2017 at 19:40.
razor4077 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 19:53   #34
BHPian

Beautiful car and man! what an effort to get it right! Congrats on your acquisition and looks like you're able to follow YouTube quite well.

Did you get paddle shifters for the car? I remember another TBHPian do it on his Laura but not sure if they come standard on the L&K or not.

Yes, I am the devil to your bank account haha..
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 20:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Beautiful car and man! what an effort to get it right! Congrats on your acquisition and looks like you're able to follow YouTube quite well.

Did you get paddle shifters for the car? I remember another TBHPian do it on his Laura but not sure if they come standard on the L&K or not.

Yes, I am the devil to your bank account haha..
Thanks!

Paddle shifters - it was in my bucket list but have decided against it for now. I make do with the tiptronic shifts via the gear lever when I have that urge! Manual shifts are a bit of a novelty - hardly feel the need to move away from D or S with the excellent DSG shifts
Old 15th September 2017, 15:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

You have got a real nice deal there!!! I was in the same boat and settled for a VW Jetta TDI MT in May this year. As you said, maintaining these beauties is not as easy as buying them in the first place

May be by Dec will get my Jetta remapped as I heard good things about that map on this forum. Wish you many many happy miles !!!
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 13:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hey Avishek. How is your Laura treating you ? I just picked up a 2009 Tsi in Black, with odo under 29k. Couldn't resist myself.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 19:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Hey Avishek. How is your Laura treating you ? I just picked up a 2009 Tsi in Black, with odo under 29k. Couldn't resist myself.
Congrats on the TSI! It’s even more fun to drive, but I couldn’t stomach the fuel costs! Have fun with it.

My car’s doing good. Don’t get to drive it much on weekdays except the occasional office commute. But I enjoy it over weekends!
Old 18th September 2018, 13:47   #39
BHPian

Hi All,

I am so sorry to barge in again and again on multiple threads. 3 Weeks ago I started hunting for a used car for my friend. I ended up searching one for me. LOL.

I started loving DSG or Automatic since I started driving my uncle's Rapid DSG.

I TD'd the Linea T-Jet, Civic AT, Laura L&K AT and GT TSI.

Civic - No
Since I already had a CIVIC, I did not want to sail on the same boat again. It has low end torque issues either.

Linea - No
Linea was good but I prefer an Automatic now. Y'all know Bangalore traffic these days. It'd even help my wife drive easier since she's not really comfortable with MTs.

GT - No
Great car but No, because it is a Fuel Hogger, I think I would not need a petrol car for my usage but I ended up munching ~40K kms on my Civic in one year. Also, the space is no match for Civic/Rapid.

And now after countless hours of R&D here, reading many threads of ownership reviews I have thought of following my heart to buy a Laura (or Jetta) with DSG. Nothing was close to the happiness I got when I TD'd them.

In case I do not get an AT at all I might go to an MT

But here is the catch as usual the 'Bangalore used market' perks. Many dealers/owners have quoted like they wanted. I just could not see if it was genuine what they asked for.

After much calls and help from friends in searching I have listed the below.
  • Jetta CL MT, 2012, 40,000KMS. Asking Price 8L
  • Jetta CL MT, 2012, 78,000KMS. Asking Price 6.5L
  • Laura L&K PD 1.9 AT, 2007, 68,000KMS. Asking price 4,75,000

Yet to TD the Jettas. And all of them are negotiable

Help please ..

I did find other Lauras with ATs but none of them had steering mount controls which I badly missed in my Civic. The ones that I found are way out of my budget. I would spend not more than 6-7L now.

I also know CR >> PD. But will it be problem for spares availability now? If not I can live with the noise and lesser refinement for the price I am paying.
Old 18th September 2018, 14:02   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post
  • Jetta CL MT, 2012, 40,000KMS. Asking Price 8L
  • Jetta CL MT, 2012, 78,000KMS. Asking Price 6.5L
  • Laura L&K PD 1.9 AT, 2007, 68,000KMS. Asking price 4,75,000
For starters, the odo reading on the Laura is highly suspicious and I would not touch it with a barge pole. You see, it is not just about the NVH or the spares, Euro cars have a comparatively high rate of wear and tear across components as they get old and no amount of upkeep/preventive maintenance can stop that in our conditions.

The first Jetta seems ok if its full history can be verified and if it is a single owner vehicle, but at not more than 5.75L all inclusive if it has new tires and battery.

My two cents:

1. Be patient and avoid dealers, contact owner posted leads directly and check those cars out.

2. Do NOT buy a Euro car with more than 40k km on the odometer AND not older than 4 years unless the owner is personally known to you.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 14:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The first Jetta seems ok if its full history can be verified and if it is a single owner vehicle, but at not more than 5.75L all inclusive if it has new tires and battery.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply n.devdath.

Yes, I am aware of these EU car mishaps. I once argued/fought with Vinayaka dealers to get out Rapid fixed. And for the Jetta 5.75 inclusive all?

I am sorry I missed something, the 40K kms Jetta will have one year warranty too. So, what could I ask now?

Hm, that's intriguing..!

Last edited by sangam_mm93 : 18th September 2018 at 14:16.
Old 18th September 2018, 18:11   #42
BHPian

Guys, I TD'd the Jetta(2012, 45K KMS, Comfort Line). It was awesome and well maintained. Final price - 7.5 with one year warranty on engine and transmission.

Meanwhile I saw a 2011 Superb TSI (44K kms done)next to it and I TD'd it out of curiosity.

Guess what! I fell in love with what all it offers.

I have blocked both the cars by paying 20K.

Please suggest me either of these. I will have the car in 3 days at my places if I confirm them by tomorrow.

Head says Jetta, Mind says Superb. Both come with 1 year warranty on Engine and transmission. Both single owners. Please advise me.

Last edited by sangam_mm93 : 18th September 2018 at 18:14.
Old 18th September 2018, 23:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post
Meanwhile I saw a 2011 Superb TSI (44K kms done)next to it and I TD'd it out of curiosity.
Could you please share Superb’s asking price?
Old 18th September 2018, 23:39   #44
BHPian

Hi ishlinea7260, final price is 6.4L with one year warranty and free service.
sangam_mm93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 00:39   #45
BHPian

Are the used car dealer provided warranty authentic? What all parts are covered in the warranty (possibly engine and transmission?)
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks