Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2017, 15:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Driven: Volvo V90 Cross Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Spare wheel is an 18" steel space saver shod with 125/80 section rubber. It is small and skinny and leaves a massive gap in the wheel well:
So no matter if you buy a Maruti or Volvo, you are always in for a shock as far as the spare wheel is concerned. 125/80 R18 (if I read that correct). Seriously?? That's thinner than a stock Nano's tyre.

Thumbs up for the review!
vjkamal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 15:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
Great review. Rated 5 stars.
However I didn't like the tail lamp design. Looks like a 'Ganapati' Decoration IMHO
That is how Volvo tail lamps have been for a long long time now and they have had this design long before the Tatas. Nothing new in that!
Old 15th September 2017, 15:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkamal View Post
So no matter if you buy a Maruti or Volvo, you are always in for a shock as far as the spare wheel is concerned. 125/80 R18 (if I read that correct). Seriously?? That's thinner than a stock Nano's tyre.
I would say, that is still better than having no spare wheel at all (some BMWs) or having an impractical Spare wheel placement (Mercedes C Class, GLA, CLA etc).
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 15:40   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However I didn't like the tail lamp design. Looks like a 'Ganapati' Decoration IMHO
And predictably nobody would question this so called 'outdated' design which Tata cars got bashing all the time.
V is better than T in logo I guess
buddy! Where did TATA come from!

Beauty sure is subjective! Yesterday only we had this discussion about the V90 cross country in a group chat and the majority was of the opinion that it an a sexy design. I honestly feel that if any car could make estates looks sexy in the market again - it is this one.

The lines are solid like most Germans without swoopy curves, but that would ensure it would age well too! Tail lamps might look outdated in pics, but look signature Volvo out on the roads.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th September 2017 at 15:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 16:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Thumbs up for the review!
That is done purposefully by all manufacturers. Reason being - driving with an uncomfortable tyre will push the driver to get the punctured tyre repaired ASAP.

Why do they want you to repair the tyre ASAP? So that you always have a replacement tyre available when required.
Old 15th September 2017, 17:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baahubali View Post
That is done purposefully by all manufacturers. Reason being - driving with an uncomfortable tyre will push the driver to get the punctured tyre repaired ASAP.

Why do they want you to repair the tyre ASAP? So that you always have a replacement tyre available when required.
Agreed. On a lighter note, what's your take on the manufacturers who don't provide a spare wheel? They want you get stranded on the road in case of a flat tyre?

My point here is that when the cars, that are far below the segment can provide full sized alloy spare wheels, it is surprising to see why can't Volvo do it with the V90 considering the mammoth size it has to offer behind the 2nd row. At least, they could have provided a decent cross section steel unit as a spare.
vjkamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 17:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Tail lamps might look outdated in pics, but look signature Volvo out on the roads.
Sure. After all it is Volvo!
Any way, we'll conclude that beauty lies in the eyes of the admirer
But hey, no questions about its presence. As you said, it surely is best looking estate in the town. (Except those neon sign type tail lamps of course!)

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2017 at 10:04. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 15th September 2017, 18:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
On a side note, in view of recent bad experiences reported by a few Volvo buyers on TBHP, I feel that the dealerships part of the Cons section could be modified to state the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rice-list.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-mumbai.html
First issue was resolved after I contacted Volvo India.

Second one was resolved within 24hours and OP did PM me saying he got the RC , not sure why he hasn't updated the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Imo, massage/heated seats should have been optional, either in the front or the back. Majority of these cars will be chauffeured so makes no sense to give them in the front as standard. Also does the rear seat recline back? This was a major concern while my fayher bought his luxury SUV a few years back. None of the flagships had this feature while Innova and Xylo had them since forever.
I had the same question when I got my XC90 and mailed Volvo India asking same , their logic is that the car was designed with EU being the major market where cars are self driven and not chauffeur driven. The cars sold here are of UK specifications and hence the heated seats in the front and rear.

Quote:
And predictably nobody would question this so called 'outdated' design which Tata cars got bashing all the time.
V is better than T in logo I guess
The tail lamp design is Volvo's signature since ages, it's easy to notice a Volvo on road with those lights.

Quote:
My point here is that when the cars, that are far below the segment can provide full sized alloy spare wheels, it is surprising to see why can't Volvo do it with the V90 considering the mammoth size it has to offer behind the 2nd row. At least, they could have provided a decent cross section steel unit as a spare.
Space in the boot is the answer mate. The cars with air suspension have cylinders in the spare wheel well area. I don't see anything wrong with the small spare wheel size. It's a norm across all German brands (if they give one).In the last 7+ years of driving and owning close to 6 cars only once i have used the spare wheel.

Last edited by mjumrani : 15th September 2017 at 18:34. Reason: Added more information.
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 11:56   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Imo, massage/heated seats should have been optional, either in the front or the back. Majority of these cars will be chauffeured so makes no sense to give them in the front as standard. Also does the rear seat recline back? This was a major concern while my fayher bought his luxury SUV a few years back. None of the flagships had this feature while Innova and Xylo had them since forever.
Most Volvo's globally are self driven. Considering the expanding Chinese segment, this could be a later addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I would say, that is still better than having no spare wheel at all (some BMWs) or having an impractical Spare wheel placement (Mercedes C Class, GLA, CLA etc).
As far as I know, Volvo SUV's apart, none of the existing Volvo's excluding the S90 come with a spare. Later on, they did provide a space blocker a la Mercedes/BMW

Quote:
It's not easy, the only way is to mount it upright in the boot like the Audi Q7 but I dont think there is enough space. Back in my younger days, wheels barely crossed 195mm in width and boot floors were deeper.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 21:28   #25
BHPian

A beautiful vehicle and a fantastic review. This looks like the only car you will ever need. It can take care of business, leisure, work and play all with equal aplomb.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2017 at 10:49. Reason: Typo fixed. Thanks
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 07:50   #26
BHPian

This is one heck of a car. It does everything. Superb review, Rated 5*.
Old 18th September 2017, 11:43   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
A beautiful vehicle and a fantastic review. This looks like the only car you will ever need. It can take care of business, leisure, work and play all with equal aplomb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
This is one heck of a car. It does everything. Superb review, Rated 5*.
What I find disappointing is that I have not seen any on the road since I tested the car during early July. It deserves better!
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 17:23   #28

What a fantastic review. I feel wagons in general deserve a much better places in Indian roads. After driving s station wagon ( Subaru Outback 2015) for last three years I couldn't have been happier. Volvo V 90 Cross country takes wagon life to a new level. Here are few station wagons that I see here in US in day to day basis :--

Subaru Outback
Volvo V 90
VW Golf Sportswagon
Audi All road
hearsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 22:35   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
What I find disappointing is that I have not seen any on the road since I tested the car during early July. It deserves better!
I spoke too soon, saw a white one in the Club today
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 00:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
A full sized spare is not provided because a full 20" wheel with a tire mounted can be quite heavy and Volvo does not expect the owner to undertake an impromptu weight training session if there is a flat. That small wheel and tire combo is very easy to swap and owner is expected to stop at the next possible repair shop to get the flat fixed and the wheel put back on.

We are used to swapping a full sized spare (usually wheels are smaller than 16") on our indigenous cars and then fixing the flat at a later date at which point the previously punctured tire now stays on as the spare.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks