Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 12:26   #106
BHPian

Re: The 5th-Gen Hyundai Verna: 1st Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Attachment 1700129

It is SX+AT DSL. Too bad Verna doesn't have separate FE calculators for the trip meters.

Has anyone managed to get rid of the annoying lock/unlock sound? The horn sound is way too cheap for this car. I am planing to change the horn soon.
Hi clevermax, as per my SA and other owners of accessory shops, it is as simple as disconnecting a coupler. You can get this done at any accessory shop or at Hyundai itself. No, it does not void any kind of warranty. The same procedure will be there if you change the horn. That single tone horn beep is irritating as hell
CarLoverJosh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 14:09   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Hi clevermax, as per my SA and other owners of accessory shops, it is as simple as disconnecting a coupler. You can get this done at any accessory shop or at Hyundai itself. No, it does not void any kind of warranty. The same procedure will be there if you change the horn. That single tone horn beep is irritating as hell
Thanks CarLoverJosh. I am doubtful if the new Verna supports installing a dual tone horn as they come in two units, not sure if I can fix the second unit without having to do additional clamping / welding. I am sure it can be done but it may not be straightforward?

Last edited by clevermax : 28th November 2017 at 14:12.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 16:17   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone managed to get rid of the annoying lock/unlock sound? The horn sound is way too cheap for this car. I am planing to change the horn soon.
"Has anyone managed to get rid of the annoying lock/unlock sound?". Yes, it is the most annoying thing on quiet nights when we have to park the car at home. But I don't think there's a way for a user to do that.

"Horn sound is way too cheap for this car". Completely agreed - it is way too cheap and does not go well with the car's personality. In fact, even without a comparison, it is too meek and uninspiring. So, changing it makes all the sense - I did replace it with a wind-tunnel horn set (Lumax, cost some 800 bucks for the pair).

These are 2 different things though - if you thought that changing the honk will take care of the tone of lock / unlock sound, then that's not the case. The lock / unlock buzzer is a separate speaker. In my case, even after getting a great sounding pair of horns installed, I could not improve the tone of lock / unlock sound

The silver lining though is that in such a case, one may opt to disconnect the buzzer completely OR change it to something like in the Marutis (don't know if that's possible though - yet to check). At least it does not irritate the hell out people with its tone.
RaghuChn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 17:34   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I am doubtful if the new Verna supports installing a dual tone horn as they come in two units, not sure if I can fix the second unit without having to do additional clamping / welding. I am sure it can be done but it may not be straightforward?
It is pretty straightforward and no welding is required. However, the front bumper has to be taken down to access the horns / replace them. And yes, the connectors that come come stock with Verna can't be used (in most cases) with the horn of choice (Hella, Bosch, Lumax I know for sure). So, an aftermarket-type customization becomes essential to add the simple wire-plugs that will connect to the horns. FYI.

As stock, Verna comes with 2 horns, bolted to different parts of the frame. If you go with a set of wind tunnel horns, then only one of these bolt points is where both the horn units will have to be fixed.

Here is a pic to give you a quick idea of the workaround - taken through the honey-comb of the front grill. (Please ignore my skills behind a shutter )
The 5th-Gen Hyundai Verna: 1st Ownership Review-horn-installation.jpg

Last edited by RaghuChn : 28th November 2017 at 17:40.
RaghuChn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 18:13   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuChn View Post
This feature is given with SX(O) variant only. If you have bought the top end (Petrol or Diesel), please check with your dealer. I do however believe that it can be installed on other variants too - just that it does not come default.
Yes, I bought the top end Diesel.I will check with my dealer over the weekend and hopefully can get it done.
Quote:
On the MID - top left corner. It comes up only when you outside of the recommended RPM range for a certain gear.
I will check that and update you.
aneeshtn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 00:13   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan View Post
Auto link is by far the most useless feature of this car.
Would disagree. Autolink feature is a useful feature

Go to statistics -> Eco driving. Very good view of your ranking, how your mileage compares to other drivers and also a record of the number of hard brakings and rapid accelerations

Quote:
That's strange. Mine is working flawlessly on Android. Yes, it is not as exhaustive as the Aussie version.
How does it compare with Honda's? Any idea anyone?
Mine is working flawlessly as well and is a very useful feature
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 00:38   #112
BHPian

Hey guys, I got my Verna Diesel SX(O) on the 10th of November, have been enjoying it ever since. It's covered nearly 285 Kms as of today and the car has been performing well. A special thanks to RaghuChn, clevermax and X-factor for their help in answering all my doubts in regard to the car. Raghu, especially you were instrumental in us choosing the white colour as the stunning pics of your steed made us go for white. Hope you darling is performing well too. The only complaint I feel in regard to the car is the brakes. They definitely feel inferior to the ones in Rapid in terms of feel and progressivness even though the performance is on par. The brake pedal feels as if it is already nearing its limits as you start pressing it whereas Rapid's pedal feels way more progressive giving you a better idea of where exactly the car will stop and how much more the pedal has to be pressed. This is the only thing missing from Verna for me for now, maybe will change as we clock more Kms. The pickup is nice and linear, and also definitely feels more powerful and other cars in its class including the new Rapid. Our Rapid, without the software update feels more punchier but with more lag comparatively, along with more noise. The CRDi engine by Hyundai is a gem and I shall surely appreciate it more in the years to come. Will be posting an ownership review soon. Thanks a lot once again, sorry for hijacking your thread Raghu
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-Gen Hyundai Verna: 1st Ownership Review-20171128_221744.jpg  

CarLoverJosh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 22:09   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only complaint I feel in regard to the car is the brakes. They definitely feel inferior to the ones in Rapid in terms of feel and progressivness even though the performance is on par.
Oh yes, the brakes are definitely inferior to some other cars in the segment or cars one level below. For example, Punto has much better brake feel. The problem with Verna is, the feel (one can say the 'bite') differs by a tad bit from time to time. Sometimes it feels ok, sometimes it gets you little scared.

Another aspect is the ride quality - the suspension is nowhere near a Punto/Linea's suspension. On rough patches, Punto simply glides. In Verna you really feel those unevenness. Imagine a road where a new layer of tarmac begins over an existing layer from some point. It is like a small bump - when Punto goes over it, you just don't feel it, there is just a mild 'thud' and that's it. In Verna, that shockwave really gets transmitted to the seats and steering.

Quote:
This would even stop the security alarm from going off when it is required, right? If that's the case, not a proper solution.

BTW, Congratulations on your new car!!

Last edited by clevermax : 29th November 2017 at 22:20.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 23:12   #114
BHPian

True, taking the buzzer out of equation is not a solution since the security alarm won't sound when necessitated.
Possibly, it could be replaced with the one Maruti provides - if nothing, it is not irritating to say the least. But, don't know if --
a) There are electrical specifications that could prevent a swap
b) There could be implications on warranty (Verna comes with a class leading warranty of 3 yrs & unlimited kms!)
Old 30th November 2017, 07:58   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
b) There could be implications on warranty (Verna comes with a class leading warranty of 3 yrs & unlimited kms!)
That is a big plus and definitely don't want to mess with that. Need to see if it is an easy swap with a better sounding beeper (which sounds more like "plup-plup" instead of the current "keeee-keeee" ) so that it can be reverted back to the stock one before making any warranty claims!

Last edited by clevermax : 30th November 2017 at 08:02.
Old 30th November 2017, 16:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, I got my Verna Diesel SX(O) on the 10th of November, have been enjoying it ever since. It's covered nearly 285 Kms as of today and the car has been performing well.
Many congratulations CarLoverJosh !! Wishing you many thousand miles of smile with the new Verna

Quote:
A special thanks to RaghuChn, clevermax and X-factor for their help in answering all my doubts in regard to the car. Raghu, especially you were instrumental in us choosing the white colour as the stunning pics of your steed made us go for white. Hope your darling is performing well too.
Glad to note that some of my notes were helpful. Yes, mine has done over 7800 kms till now (took the delivery on 1-Sep). Have done three return trips to B'lore from Hyd and one to Chennai from Hyd as well. Have enjoyed every moment of driving it around on the highways and within the cities.

Quote:
The only complaint I feel in regard to the car is the brakes. They definitely feel inferior to the ones in Rapid in terms of feel and progressivness even though the performance is on par. The brake pedal feels as if it is already nearing its limits as you start pressing it whereas Rapid's pedal feels way more progressive giving you a better idea of where exactly the car will stop and how much more the pedal has to be pressed. This is the only thing missing from Verna for me for now, maybe will change as we clock more Kms. The pickup is nice and linear, and also definitely feels more powerful and other cars in its class including the new Rapid. Our Rapid, without the software update feels more punchier but with more lag comparatively, along with more noise. The CRDi engine by Hyundai is a gem and I shall surely appreciate it more in the years to come. Will be posting an ownership review soon. Thanks a lot once again, sorry for hijacking your thread Raghu
Since I have not driven a Rapid, and since my last steed was a Hyundai as well (with similar braking experience), I can't complain much about the Verna's braking capabilities. On the city drives (typically below 60 kmph), the brakes are as good as (or better than) those of i20 or Figo or Swift (diesels). Having said that, I would agree - on higher highway speeds, the braking is a bit vague (lack of instant, confidence inspiring bite) and if I was slightly late in spotting a speed breaker, then a heart-in-mouth feeling is inevitable.

Oh ! And you have contributed to 100s of folks looking for more information about the car on Team-BHP - no hijacks . Looking forward to your ownership review!

Last edited by RaghuChn : 30th November 2017 at 16:29. Reason: Adding content
Old 30th November 2017, 18:41   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, the brakes are definitely inferior to some other cars in the segment or cars one level below. For example, Punto has much better brake feel. The problem with Verna is, the feel (one can say the 'bite') differs by a tad bit from time to time. Sometimes it feels ok, sometimes it gets you little scared.
Loved the new Verna which I drove last week. About the brakes, even I had same feeling but not just with Verna even with my current Jetta. I was used to Punto's excellent braking and so Jetta's braking feedback felt vague.

After clocking some 3-4K KM, I now feel comfortable with Jetta's braking. You will get over this feeling once you start clocking KMs. Another area where Punto scores over both Verna and Jetta is its steering feedback.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 20:02   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Loved the new Verna which I drove last week. About the brakes, even I had same feeling but not just with Verna even with my current Jetta. I was used to Punto's excellent braking and so Jetta's braking feedback felt vague.

After clocking some 3-4K KM, I now feel comfortable with Jetta's braking. You will get over this feeling once you start clocking KMs. Another area where Punto scores over both Verna and Jetta is its steering feedback.
Just completing 2K Kms on the Verna. Palio is still with me, 1.4 Lakh Kilometers and counting. Driving it daily. Punto is about 90K Kms.

Started liking the new Verna the moment I TD'ed it. Much different than the older Hyundais whose handling characteristics are usually compared to boats . Four of us BHPians TD'ed it together and everyone liked it, and two of us were Punto owners!

The braking, suspension, steering feedback - some of the areas where a Punto gets you spoiled. I think one has to learn to let go!
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 17:18   #119
BHPian

Re: Review - Next Gen Verna (Diesel) unplugged, on a highway

Quote:
Thanks X-Factor. Yes, the HID takes about 4-5 seconds to get to its full glory. Unfortunately, I do not have a pic of the Halogen projector's throw from driver's seat. I will click those of the HID and share soon.
Can you post some pictures of the throw on low beam & high beam from the Osram Xenarc, as well as the cutoff from the stock projectors?

Also, since the fog lamps are projector units, is it possible to drop an HID in those, as they won’t cause glare to the oncoming traffic like the usual reflector based ones do?
Old 1st December 2017, 18:42   #120
BHPian

Re: Review - Next Gen Verna (Diesel) unplugged, on a highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Can you post some pictures of the throw on low beam & high beam from the Osram Xenarc, as well as the cutoff from the stock projectors?
I am overdue on posting these pics. In fact, I am trying to figure out where and how best to click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Also, since the fog lamps are projector units, is it possible to drop an HID in those, as they won’t cause glare to the oncoming traffic like the usual reflector based ones do?
I did check if the projector fogs could house a HID as well - the response at least from the guy I got my headlamps done, was a 'No'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks