Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2018, 20:19   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI : The bad boy in a suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
This is what i woke upto today early morning. Some kids used permanent marker on the door. tried to wash it off with some soap water but not able to get it off. Some online fix recommends acetone but some other forum says it will thin the paint. One fix is colgate, it seems. Lets see how that goes!
Here are some pics!
Really sorry to see the damage. I would advise against touching the paint for now.

A mixture of salt and cement fell on my Jetta. In a desperate effort, I used vinegar which worked but left permanent scars and stains on the paint surface. I still have to get it buffed.

Take it to a 3M outlet or qualified shop to get these marks removed. Don't be in a hurry.

Regards,
Vishy
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 23:24   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is what i woke upto today early morning. Some kids used permanent marker on the door. tried to wash it off with some soap water but not able to get it off. Some online fix recommends acetone but some other forum says it will thin the paint. One fix is colgate, it seems. Lets see how that goes!
Here are some pics!
Always a terrible feeling to see someone else do damage to the car on purpose. I would suggest you go to a 3M or even better call someone good like Kamyo home and get it sorted out. A marker should go with some sanding, if not by normal polish.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 09:02   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here are some pics!

Attachment 1756274

Attachment 1756275
Before trying anything abrasive, like acetone or sanding, try these 2:

1. Clay bar with detailer spray. Should go with this easily
2. Tar remover/APC. This will definitely go.

After the above 2 get a simple Kamyo detailing done on it.

This is not a big deal vs using a sharp object.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 14:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Its always disheartening to see such things on our cars but you should thank your stars that the kid didn't use any sharp object. Some permanent markers are just permanent for the namesake. Try out rubbing alcohol or dry ink eraser. Some people have tried wd40 too.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by ampere : 9th March 2019 at 21:08. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 29th April 2018, 16:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Its always disheartening to see such things on our cars but you should thank your stars that the kid didn't use any sharp object. Some permanent markers are just permanent for the namesake. Try out rubbing alcohol or dry ink eraser. Some people have tried wd40 too.
Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Before trying anything abrasive, like acetone or sanding, try these 2:

1. Clay bar with detailer spray. Should go with this easily
2. Tar remover/APC. This will definitely go.

After the above 2 get a simple Kamyo detailing done on it.

This is not a big deal vs using a sharp object.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Always a terrible feeling to see someone else do damage to the car on purpose. I would suggest you go to a 3M or even better call someone good like Kamyo home and get it sorted out. A marker should go with some sanding, if not by normal polish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Really sorry to see the damage. I would advise against touching the paint for now.

A mixture of salt and cement fell on my Jetta. In a desperate effort, I used vinegar which worked but left permanent scars and stains on the paint surface. I still have to get it buffed.

Take it to a 3M outlet or qualified shop to get these marks removed. Don't be in a hurry.

Regards,
Vishy
Thanks a lot to all the suggestions gents. So here's what I tried and worked like a charm.
-Wiping the area clean with some water and micro fibre cloth
-Applying Colgate to the area and rubbing it gently with the micro fibre cloth
-Letting the paste dry for around 10 mins
-With a slightly wet micro fibre cloth gently (in circular motion) buffing the area
-The paste comes and along with it the permanent marker

MOST IMPORTANTLY

Now keeping the car under covers by default

My Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI : The bad boy in a suit-inkedimg_20180415_0806525_li.jpg
This is the car during my trip to Lonavla. Notice the left side without the Leonardo's masterpiece.
raj981 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 17:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot to all the suggestions gents. So here's what I tried and worked like a charm.
See I told you that permanent markers are never permanent
Glad to see that your trick worked. I have read on many forums that colgate also has abrasive content just like compound (althought negligible). My suggestion is to apply a thin coat of wax to protect the paint.
Just my 2 cents.
Akib Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 15:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just finished reading your review in detail. Firstly, heartiest congratulations on bringing this elegant sedan home . White & silver are my top choices for these cars; yours looks just fantastic with that kit! The E-Class is far more practical than a 5-Series and I'm extremely happy that you chose the 6-cylinder. In this class of car, a 6-cylinder motor is a MUST. If you can't afford it new, buy it used, but get 6 bad boys under the hood.
I went to test drive an E350 CDI 2010 done around 38k kms. The car is clean inside out with some switches showing their age (worn out)
The drive was not what I expected. I was expecting a surge in power (V6), but it didn't happen. And I'm not comparing it to 520/30d . Is it normal? I didn't get to floor the pedal though. I found the 2013 E250 peppier.

The car has been maintained at MB and the seller is willing to get the inspection done at any service center of my choice.

Whats your take GTO?
Old 26th June 2018, 12:23   #38
BHPian

My workplace contemplating a move to the BKC or Lower Parel area has meant that the E has made many visits from Andheri to BKC and Lower Parel, thereby clocking a lot of kms in these months.

Just love the way it drives on our monsoon effected roads. The super quite cabin keeps the outside world outside. And since I got my trusted old driver to drive the E, the back seat is a cherished place on the way back from BKC especially at the stretch from Kalanagar to the start of APJ Abdul Kalam flyover; which is a drag.

Took it to Sheshadri at 3M and pampered it with some treatment along with the installation of the 3M mats. All our family vehicles have been pampered by his workshop all these years.

Good as new, isn't it??
My Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI : The bad boy in a suit-img_9641.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
My Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI : The bad boy in a suit-inkedimg_9642_li.jpg  

raj981 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:39   #39
BHPian

Service package?
The car will complete a year in a week's time and will be headed for the first annual service and this has made me thinking if I should go for the service plan or not.
In a year the vehicle has done about 5500 kms but going forward it would do 10k kms/year so is it worth it?
An annual service cost is in the range of 50k and a major service would be anything between 80k to 100k, once every 4 years.
The package, if taken would cover everything possible, from wiper blades to consumables to nut bolts to tyres. So the big question on my mind. IS IT WORTH IT!
I do have the extended factory warranty and intend to keep the vehicle for at least 6 years.
For the number crunchers
Present value of 50k spent annually with an increase of 10% and one major service of 100k with an opportunity cost of 12% gets me a present value of Rs. 302,348/- and the service plan is 30k more than this number.
Suggestions?
raj981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 03:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Service package?
The car will complete a year in a week's time and will be headed for the first annual service and this has made me thinking if I should go for the service plan or not.
In a year the vehicle has done about 5500 kms but going forward it would do 10k kms/year so is it worth it?
An annual service cost is in the range of 50k and a major service would be anything between 80k to 100k, once every 4 years.
The package, if taken would cover everything possible, from wiper blades to consumables to nut bolts to tyres. So the big question on my mind. IS IT WORTH IT!
I do have the extended factory warranty and intend to keep the vehicle for at least 6 years.
For the number crunchers
Present value of 50k spent annually with an increase of 10% and one major service of 100k with an opportunity cost of 12% gets me a present value of Rs. 302,348/- and the service plan is 30k more than this number.
Suggestions?
Woah! How did I miss this thread!!
Belated congratulations on owning an awesome car .

I have one in my family which completed 3.5 years now. Absolutely adore this beast. I honestly like it over the 530d because of its far more useable nature for Bombay roads. Didn't know there was an owner on this forum that too from Bombay :-)

Coming to your dilemma, I would like to give you some perspective from my experience. The E350d in my family was purchased with the service package as part of the deal (it used to cost 2.5 lacs then). However, it did not cover the tyres/nuts/bolts. Can you please provide more details of this package? That would help a lot in making the right decision.

The number one reason for purchasing this service pack is PEACE OF MIND. When we were buying this car, I insisted on including this pack in the deal due to a straightforward calculation:
- each service will cost at least 50k
- 4 services: 200k
- The 4th service would be a major one/ plus change of brakes or discs: add another 30k (I am optimistic here).

- Total: 230k
- Additional 20k for peace of mind for next 4 years --> worth it for MY case.

And my thinking has proved correct for our case. No more hassles of going through what the dealers are including or not including. No more troubles for overbilling labour hours. And best of all, the dealer changes the wipers and other small stuff proactively. Each bill to us has always been more than 50k (obviously we don't pay anything).

IF this pack includes the tyre change as well, then considering that 4 tyres of this car cost about 16k each, that equates to 64k. I would consider this a good deal honestly. I have already changed the tyres on our car and it cost me 56k all inclusive for Michelins.

Congratulations once again, and wish you many happy and peaceful miles on this beast.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th August 2018 at 11:13. Reason: Reducing double spacing between lines
Simple_car is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 14:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Woah! How did I miss this thread!!
Belated congratulations on owning an awesome car .
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
I have one in my family which completed 3.5 years now. Absolutely adore this beast. I honestly like it over the 530d because of its far more useable nature for Bombay roads. Didn't know there was an owner on this forum that too from Bombay :-)
Yes bhai from Bombay. Liked the address in your status "Dance bar city"

Quote:
Coming to your dilemma, I would like to give you some perspective from my experience. The E350d in my family was purchased with the service package as part of the deal (it used to cost 2.5 lacs then). However, it did not cover the tyres/nuts/bolts. Can you please provide more details of this package? That would help a lot in making the right decision.
My bad. It does not cover the tyres. This was told to me by my sales manager but he called me yesterday stating that he erred and put me with the Service executive. So there are two plans on offer; Compact and Compact Plus. The inclusion and exclusions are as under

Compact Maintenance Package
Included: Replacement of Engine Oil, Engine Oil Filter, Air Cleaner Element, AC Filter, Fuel Filter, Radiator Coolant, Brake Fluid, Transmission Oil & Transmission Oil Filter as per schedule. Topping up of Windshield Washer Fluid, as per requirement. Short Test (STAR Diagnosis), Interior & Exterior Cleaning (Vacuuming), Tyre Rotation, Visual Inspection.
Excluded: Tyres, Replacement of Brake Pads, Brake discs, Brake Wear Sensor, Wiper Blades, Spark Plugs, V-Belt, Wheel Alignment, Wheel Balancing, Accidental Repairs.

Compact Plus Maintenance Package
Included: Replacement of Engine Oil, Engine Oil Filter, Air Cleaner Element, AC Filter, Fuel Filter, Radiator Coolant, Brake Fluid, Transmission Oil & Transmission Oil Filter as per schedule, Topping up of Windshield Washer Fluid, as per requirement. Short Test (STAR Diagnosis), Interior & Exterior Cleaning (Vacuuming), Tyre Rotation, Visual Inspection, Replacement of Brake Pads, Brake Discs, Brake Wear Sensor, Wiper Blades if required, Wheel Alignment, Wheel balancing.
Excluded: Tyres, Spark Plugs, V-Belt, Accidental Repairs.

The pricing of the plans (Pre taxes) is attached here. With my annual run I'm leaning towards not opting out for it but still not very sure. Do let me know what you think. Thanks and Regards, Rajesh
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 123.pdf (52.3 KB, 473 views)

Last edited by raj981 : 26th August 2018 at 14:07. Reason: Pic not clear
raj981 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 02:35   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The pricing of the plans (Pre taxes) is attached here. With my annual run I'm leaning towards not opting out for it but still not very sure. Do let me know what you think. Thanks and Regards, Rajesh

The compact pack is worth it IMO (I assume that each service will be billed at 50k). The compact plus pack is pricey for what its worth.

I have been happy with the option. However keep in mind that my go to dealer has always been Autohangar.

Do let us know your final decision.

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. If it helps in your calculations, you can safely assume that the brake pads are changed every 30k kms (front and rear). Unfortunately, I do not recollect the prices.
Old 13th November 2018, 10:36   #43
BHPian

It’s been a while since I last posted on the group. Work related travel has left me with no leisure screen time at all. Anyways...

The E350 is proving to be what I thought it would be - Hassle free.

First service done and dusted with a total spend of 65k, but ran into some rough weather with the dealership with respect to my vehicle service plan and factory warranty. Working with them on a solution.

So here’s the deal.....
My vehicle was bought by Shaman as a display vehicle in Oct 2016 from Mercedes Pune plant. I purchased the vehicle from Shaman in August 2017 and I immediately extended the standard factory warranty of three years by another three years, to what I thought will be six years under my ownership.

I have been contemplating to buy service package for the vehicle and started getting the quotes from MB for various options (3 years, 5 years etc...)

I sent my vehicle for the first service in Sep 2018 and here is where things started to unfold. The service department sends me a quotation of second service, 20,000 kms and has an invoice date written as Oct 2016. I immediately called up Shaman and here’s when I get to know that since Shaman got the car from MB as a display car MB invoices it as at that date and the factory warranty along with the service days starts from there. Meaning even if my car was purchased by me in Aug 2017, the factory warranty would start from Oct 2016 (thereby I get only 5 years factory warranty under my ownership). That’s the story w.r.t the factory warranty.

Now lets talk service plan -

The way that service plans are priced, you pay a higher amount if you taking the plan after first service vs taking it before.
To my amazement.....Before delivering the car to me in Aug 2017, Shaman serviced my vehicle and that service which I though was a goodwill gesture was actually the first service of the vehicle. It seems that since the system locks the invoice date from MB to Shaman as Oct 2016 and the dealership in that case has to undertake the service as per the service interval timeline. Was I told about it? Yes, they did but I was not told that this will be counted as a first service of the vehicle.

Long story short, I am very pleased with the vehicle and here is what I told MB and Shaman in two separate communication.

My factory warranty should be from my date of purchase that is Aug 2017 till August 2023 AND If I want to go for the service package I should get the rates that applicable before first service, that cost is nearly 1.6 lacs less than if one gets it post service.

Shaman, has accepted that I have a valid case and are taking the 6th year factory warranty upon themselves just in case there is a need. Appreciate their stance.

On the service plan, I await for a response by this week.

Based on my experience, would like to request all members to look at these issues while buying a vehicle that’s a display vehicle or a demo vehicle (stay away from demo vehicle).

My car will be clocking in big miles, already done 1000kms in the past 10 days so will be going for the service plan if it comes reasonably priced.

The car has been trouble free and I have no complaints at all. Drove my partners new E350 and must admit if you are being chauffeur driven the new E class is a better place to be. Or for that matter just get the E220D. For self drive the W212 E350 V6 gets the biggest smile on your face.

Incidentally got to know that the newer E350 now get the inline 6. The V6 got discontinued for not being BS6 compliant.

Signing off for now.
Regards,
Rajesh
raj981 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 15:01   #44
BHPian

Lo and behold, the bad boy got a nick on its rear bumper.

With my office shifting to BKC I thought it necessary to use the services of a chauffeur (kaka) so that my commute time can be put to good use. After dropping me at my office kaka took the car to the basement parking and scrapped the rear bumper on the puzzle parking metal strip.

Not the one to bear even a single blemish on my car I need to take it to Shaman for the repair work. Will post pictures in a bit.

My uncle called me and told me to keep it as it is so that "Nazar nahi lagegi" and my colleague tells me "its Mumbai, aise toh hote rahega" No wonder they are not on TBHP.
Anyways.....whats done is done.
raj981 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 12:14   #45
BHPian

I recently bought a pre worshiped w212 e250 (2016) just run 23k kilometres. I am loving the car and ownership experience but I am confused if I should go with the extended warranty. The warranty is obviously very useful, I got my battery and engine+transmission mounts changed after getting the car.In the car service history I saw the headlights were changed due to moisture build up under warranty which cost 2.5 lakhs each! The problem is it costs 1.5 lakhs per year which seems a little to much, if extended warranty was bought with the car then it would have costed 80k per year. I also do not plan to service the car from Mercedes as I know a few good mechanics in town and with our family travelling a lot, getting routine OEM parts like brake pads etc is easy.

Should I get the extended warranty?
Even if I do will it matter if I get my car serviced from somewhere else?

On another note has anyone put apple car play/android auto on their w212 e class, its apparently possible with 2016 models, also has anyone upgraded the stock speakers. If so do let me know

Raj981 your thread is very well written and motivated me to go ahead with buying the E250 car,I would have picked up a e350 but did not find any in good examples in the used market.

Thanks
Jayant
jayanttalwar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks