Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2019, 21:03   #46
BHPian

Re: My Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI : The bad boy in a suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanttalwar View Post
I recently bought a pre worshiped w212 e250 (2016) just run 23k kilometres.
Congrats on your car!

Quote:
Should I get the extended warranty?
Even if I do will it matter if I get my car serviced from somewhere else?
If the car has been trouble-free, then perhaps not. However, if you do get extended warranty, it's unwise to get your car serviced anywhere else.

Quote:
On another note has anyone put apple car play/android auto on their w212 e class, its apparently possible with 2016 models, also has anyone upgraded the stock speakers. If so do let me know
We haven't.

We too have a 2016 W212 E250 CDI that has clocked over 40,000 kms.

We did not buy the extended warranty for our E, because at the time we did not feel like we needed it. As it turned out, we have had our share of niggling issues in it's 1st year.
  • Steering adjuster stopped working
  • Fuel lid refused to open
  • The tiny light under right ORVM (puddle lamp) stopped working
All of that happened during the first few months of ownership, after which the car has been trouble-free, until now atleast.

Recently, we realized that the aircon isn't as effective as it used to be. Our Honda City is a true chiller in comparison. Service personnel diagnosed it -- after having kept the car for 2 full days -- to a faulty compressor, and recommended us to get it changed under warranty. We will get it changed within a month.

The start-stop system -- the feature that shuts the engine while waiting at traffic signals -- though active, hasn't actually been turning off the engine for a few months now. Not that we really miss the feature, but the fact that it doesn't work could be a sign that something is amiss. Forgot to mention this during the last service; we will mention it when the car goes in to get the aircon fixed. The start-stop system has a few preconditions before which it activates -- engine temperature, difference between cabin temperature and temp set on the aircon, and a couple of others I don't remember right now. Perhaps the issue has something to do with the aircon not working optimally?

We opted for the service pack, which turned out to be a smart decision as we've had routine services that costs upwards of Rs. 50k. For instance, the 40k km service done last month was billed at Rs. 89k, including labour charges. Yeah I suspect they're taking us for a ride, but I couldn't find much amiss even after scrutinizing the receipt.

One might assume now would be a great time to opt for extended warranty (though I'm not sure if that's possible at this stage), but nope, we wouldn't take it. If our car continues to give us big troubles, we might sell it and get something like a Honda CRV or a Camry. My senior-citizen parents (primary users of the car) are sedate drivers, and don't care about outright performance; they like something hassle-free.

Last edited by voldemort : 9th March 2019 at 21:30. Reason: Accidentally submitted incomplete post.
voldemort is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 11:14   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I recently bought a pre worshiped w212 e250 (2016) just run 23k kilometres. I am loving the car and ownership experience
Congrats & welcome to the pre-worshipped fan club .

Quote:
The problem is it costs 1.5 lakhs per year which seems a little to much, if extended warranty was bought with the car then it would have costed 80k per year
Quote:
I also do not plan to service the car from Mercedes as I know a few good mechanics in town
80k a year = worth it. 1.5 lakhs a year = ripoff. Anyway makes no sense as you are going to get the car serviced outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
If our car continues to give us big troubles, we might sell it and get something like a Honda CRV or a Camry.
Please don't, you will lose too much money in depreciation and pay too much money for a brand-new CRV / Camry (both overpriced). In 99% of the cases, it is always cheaper to hold onto your existing car - despite repairs - than buying a new one - related thread (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 15:39   #48
BHPian

Thanks GTO and voldemort, I do not think I'll be going with the extended warranty but seeing the problems you faced in your e250 makes me consider it!

I took my car to Mercedes for the second time due to some rattling coming from the sunroof.It usually comes on rough roads and potholes.The people at mercedes cleaned and put grease on the sunroof and doors but the rattling has started again specially when driven on a pothole. Have you faced any such issue?
Old 12th March 2019, 23:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO and voldemort, I do not think I'll be going with the extended warranty but seeing the problems you faced in your e250 makes me consider it!
I did not mean to scare you. After the initial hiccups in the first few months (which were all resolved within a few hours by the A.S.S), the car has been troublefree.

As GTO mentioned, the extended warranty at Rs. 1.5 lakhs per year is hard to justify.

Quote:
I took my car to Mercedes for the second time due to some rattling coming from the sunroof.It usually comes on rough roads and potholes.The people at mercedes cleaned and put grease on the sunroof and doors but the rattling has started again specially when driven on a pothole. Have you faced any such issue?
Maybe it's not the sunroof. Check the IRVM area including the box right in front of it (supposed to house the camera or sensors or something, in international models at least. I'm not really sure). Get somebody else to touch those areas when the rattles occur and see if they stop. Though we don't have rattles in our car (touchwood), we diagnosed similar minor vibrations from IRVMs on our other cars this way.
Old 17th March 2019, 19:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Should I get the extended warranty?
Yes.

Quote:
Even if I do will it matter if I get my car serviced from somewhere else?
Why would you do that? if you have an extended warranty you would be better off getting the service done from authorized MB.

Quote:
On another note has anyone put apple car play/android auto on their w212 e class, its apparently possible with 2016 models, also has anyone upgraded the stock speakers. If so do let me know
Following this. I would love to get apple car play on mine as well.

Quote:
Raj981 your thread is very well written and motivated me to go ahead with buying the E250 car,I would have picked up a e350 but did not find any in good examples in the used market.
Thanks. Appreciate it!

Quote:
My car has some fair share of rattling that I have come to know sitting at the backseat.
1) Sun roof rattle when the curtain (first layer) is open. Got it fixed.
2) Rear left armrest squeaking noise. Need to get this fixed.
Factory warranty does not cover these. Shaman said its only covered if these are encountered in the first year of ownership.
Old 17th March 2019, 20:26   #51
BHPian

How did you fix the sunroof rattle? I have sent the car twice to mercedes and they just put grease and tighten bolts etc. Last week a mechanic from mercedes came to hear the rattle but somehow when he came the rattling stopped ! The rattling comes sometimes specially over potholes etc.

Also I have not been told that rattling etc are not covered under warranty .

A helpful link for apple car play (w212)

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/unlock-...comand-ntg5s1/
Old 29th June 2019, 13:02   #52
BHPian

Work and travel has again got the better of my blogging time. Nonetheless, the bad boy has 11,000 kms under its belt now and here are a few things that’s noteworthy.

The vehicle has a brilliant ride quality and the V6 under the hood puts the broadest grin on my face whenever I get a chance to use all the ponies.

I notice a lot of new gen W213 now on the road and while the look has started to grow on me I still like the masculine lines of the W212 more than the rounded look of its newest iteration. What do you think?

On a side note have you all noticed the design language BMW is adopting. Absolutely distasteful with what they doing to that kidney grill and who heads their marketing campaign anyways. Seen that x5 campaign? BOSS EVERY ROAD…lol my 12 year old will do a better job.

Rattles have resurfaced: The vehicle has rather oddly developed some rather uncharacteristic squeaks around the rear left armrest when you rest your arm on it. Didn’t notice it before. Also the sun roof curtain when retracted wobbles a bit and makes an irritating rattling sound and so is the rear windshield. Have told MB about it and they will remove and reinstall the rear windshield on a chargeable basis. These are not covered under the factory warranty.

This one is a bummer: of the noises and rattles, I also noticed a sound emanating from the left rear side, which I thought to be something in the boot. Sent the car to MB and got to know that the rear shock absorber needed replacement. MB replaced the entire assembly under factory warranty. Very strange for a car that at that time had done less than 10,000 kms.

On one of the long ride swapped cars and got behind a friends GLS 350. And boy that vehicle is a beast. Feels like you driving a battle tank. The engine is the same as that of my E350 so makes it a sluggish performer but the creature comfort that it has to offer is just a different level altogether. Ride is slightly bumpy and in no way should you compare the ride quality of a sedan with that of a SUV. Point being I was very impressed and something like that might be my next vehicle when the time is right.
raj981 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 00:35   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
Work and travel has again got the better of my blogging time. Nonetheless, the bad boy has 11,000 kms under its belt now and here are a few things that’s noteworthy.

I have the e250 and the sunroof rattling like you are saying has started with me . Mercedes in Noida and Delhi have luckily been fixing it under warranty but haven't been 100 percent successful yet.

Last edited by GTO : 30th June 2019 at 07:38. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 07:46   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The vehicle has a brilliant ride quality and the V6 under the hood puts the broadest grin on my face whenever I get a chance to use all the ponies.
6-cylinder diesels are as good as things can get in India.

Quote:
I notice a lot of new gen W213 now on the road and while the look has started to grow on me I still like the masculine lines of the W212 more than the rounded look of its newest iteration. What do you think?
I like the W212's look more for its shorter wheelbase. The LWB is a limousine!

Quote:
On a side note have you all noticed the design language BMW is adopting.
Horrible. BMW loses it in every alternate generation (case in point = weird E60 -> clean F10 -> weird G30).

Quote:
Rattles have resurfaced
Am surprised because Mercedes was always better at controlling rattles than BMW. My C220 had no rattles, even @ 60,000 - 70,000 km.

Quote:
Very strange for a car that at that time had done less than 10,000 kms.
True. Mercedes' reliability has improved, but is still not "there" yet.

Quote:
On one of the long ride swapped cars and got behind a friends GLS 350
Quote:
Point being I was very impressed and something like that might be my next vehicle when the time is right.
The recently released next-gen GLS is on another level altogether. If you are thinking of buying one in the coming 1 - 2 years, wait for that one.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 16:43   #55
BHPian

The car completed 11,000 kms under my ownership last month. Took all of 23 months to cover those many kms, so yeah it has been a steady progress.

It has been a very good and a hassle free driving experience with the car with the following things worth mentioning:-

1) There was a noise emanating from the left rear suspension which was audible only when I was at the back seat. Got it checked with Shaman and they had it replaced under warranty. The struts and struts mounts were found to be the culprit.

2) The vehicle does grab a lot of eye balls, guess mostly due to those AMG kits and the blacked out rims, and I have never once not looked back, heading home, after parking the car.

3) The car's rear bumper already had a hit when my driver kaka while backing up scraped the rear bumper on the puzzle parking metal sheet. The second incident that happened was again a hit to the rear bumper when my driver braked hard to avoid rear ending a motorcycle who cut lane and then decided to apply brake to avoid a pothole. we stopped well in time only to be rear ended by a Santro.
My Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI : The bad boy in a suit-file1.jpeg
My Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI : The bad boy in a suit-file2.jpeg
My Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI : The bad boy in a suit-file3.jpeg

4) The E-class is a great highway tourer. What it does not like is water logged roads; but living in Mumbai you get a fair share of that. This particular incident happened while I was in entering the Pune - Mumbai expressway from Lonavala. Just after the toll there is a crater type formation that had almost 18 inches of water. While driving through that the under carriage's insulation came off from the front left side.
My Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI : The bad boy in a suit-img_0138.jpg
My Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI : The bad boy in a suit-img_0139.jpg

The car is currently at Shaman to get the rear bumper and this underbelly carpet/insulation fixed. Will update soon!
raj981 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 16:40   #56
BHPian

Work is going to put me back in the US effective March of next year. This time for good!

So an early call for sale as the bad boy will be looking for a new home.

I will be posting the AD soon on the classified section of T-BHP. Car just came in after servicing and the rear bumper paint job. PM me if you need any information.

The ownership thread says all about the vehicle. But just to summarize. It is a W 212, E 350, 2015 manufactured, 2017 registered vehicle. Done 11500 kms. Has extended factory warranty and has an AMG kit worth over 5 lacs installed by Shaman Mercedes.

Mods, I hope this is not a violation of the posting policy. Please delete if it is.

Regards
raj981 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 20:42   #57
BHPian

UPDATE:
The lockdown has basically thrown our plan of migrating off by atleast 6 months. I was supposed to be flying 1st week of July but don't think that's going to materialize.
Was thinking off letting it go but didn't get any great offers. So will continue to hold it and cash it on olx or cars 24 near to date when i am flying.

The bad boy needs new rubbers. One of the tyre seems to have chipped off. Any suggestions?

Last edited by raj981 : 8th June 2020 at 20:44. Reason: typo
raj981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 20:28   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
IF this pack includes the tyre change as well, then considering that 4 tyres of this car cost about 16k each, that equates to 64k. I would consider this a good deal honestly. I have already changed the tyres on our car and it cost me 56k all inclusive for Michelins.

Congratulations once again, and wish you many happy and peaceful miles on this beast.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Quoting my own post here. After driving the beast with Michelins since past 2 years, I can recommend them with full confidence for Bombay roads.

Your other options would be Continental sportcontacts and yoko/goodyears.

IMO, best to avoid goodyears and yokos for this car. 2 years back, Mercedes was recommending Continentals, and the dealers were pushing hard for the same.

Personally, I did not go for Continentals due to the price. I paid 11k per piece for the Michelins (Conti's were retailing for 16k per piece at dealers and 14k outside) and have no complaints.

Have also dropped you a PM.

Regards,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 00:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

The bad boy needs new rubbers. One of the tyre seems to have chipped off. Any suggestions?
I got the Michelin primacy 4st on my w212 recently,the ride is good and gives good mixture of drivability and comfort. The PS4 were around the same price but didn't go for that due to the ride quality and short life.
jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 20:28   #60

Hi Raj...Great post. Detailed and how. Have the opportunity to purchase a E350 CDI 2014 done 40k kms from a second owner. What would you pay having immense experience with the beast. Thanks.
podaraditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks