Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2018, 04:49   #46
BANNED

Re: CROSSing the line: My pre-worshipped Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha

Congratulations on your great buy. Mean capability and Understated looks - those are the preferences I have come to like in most of the things. I opted for my New Figo 1.5D and VW Ameo 1.5 D based on that. Can make one bite dust! Really!? I should not endorse street indiscretion but for which I would have been hollering out "TRY ME!".

Nah, I hold my pace on highways and am satisfied with flinging the mental math at those overtaking that they are 'technically slower or too pricey or having poor FE'!☺

Wishing you an awesome ownership!

Last edited by COMMUTER : 25th January 2018 at 04:50.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 09:10   #47
BHPian

Holy molly! What an exhaustive and brilliant microscopic review! I can only imagine the pains that writers go through when drafting. No wonder it took you 3 months.

Ever since I have been in the market, S Cross is one vehicle that was ever present in my shortlist purely because of this alpha predator. Having read all those astounding praises to the 1.6, I was awed. One thing is for sure, this engine has a loyal and dedicated fan base. The owners speak with such passion, I wonder if they love the car more than themselves. After gobbling up each word of yours my views have only strengthened.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 09:52   #48
BHPian

Thanks once again guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
...I know how difficult it is to find a 1.6 in the used market. Had a tough time looking for a used 1.6 for my cousin and couldn't find one to our requirements...
Yes, you have to diligently look on each website. Most of the cars I came acrsoss were too high on mileage or absurd on price. There were a few 1.3s trying to pass off as 1.6s. I had to wait patiently for a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Convinced about the proposition of buying a pre-worshipped vehicle. However, it is not easy to check, at least for a person with limited knowledge as me.... At best I check- (i) TBhp classifieds, (ii) Maruti True Value website (iii) Mahindra First Choice and (iv) BMW certified and Mercedes certified pre-owned cars.

I cannot get myself to take ads on Olx seriosuly. At a pinch, I check 'CarWale' used car section, to cross-check the prices being quoted. , but it will be super helpful if you could mention which all sites or other avenues which you explored while hunting....
Websites I used very actively: Tbhp classifieds, car trade, carwale.
You will notice that the serious olx sellers and most Maruti Truvalue, etc will have a parallel listing on either of these sites.

I followed this procedure for my case:
1) Check the listing
2) Speak to the owner and try to gauge his seriousness, authenticity, level of negotiation etc
3) Once Im sure, checked vehicle history with Maruti (I have good relations with a service centre and they helped me out on phone).
4) If all above are true then fix an appointment and check the car

Since I was looking for a model that was less than 2 years into production, I had a lower chance of finding bad examples. I checked it myself and took a cousin along who can also assess the car. If you are unable to do so, I suggest taking a mechanic along. Best will be if after you check it and are totally convinced, get it checked at an authorized service center. They will charge you for it, but that cost will be worth for the peace of mind it will bring to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
...If possible can you post a picture of the intake mouth from the side...
I hope this helps. Pic source: Tbhp official review:
CROSSing the line: My pre-worshipped Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha-marutiscross05.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
If the cluster brightness for the MID or screen is set to max, it will not go to night mode, reduce the MID brightness and it should change to night mode once the main headlamps are on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
Like govigov above has written - the right stalk of your MID controls the brightness - It's not just a push button it is also a rotary controller...
What I meant was the brightness of the central touchscreen and not the MID on the cluster. In any case, I will look for it in the manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
...And the perspective from your 4 year old was great, he has much in common with my 6 year old daughter who pretty much loves the same things (maps, unlocking etc.)...
They're all the same, the children of this age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
You could also look at swapping over headlights to the newer make as that is a modification that Maruti themselves now offer...
I dont like the new design at all. That was another reason to speed up my searching process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
... the previous owner ran it in for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
There is a simple fix for Sun-glass holder & parcel tray rattles...
Thanks !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Mean capability and Understated looks - those are the preferences I have come to like in most of the things. I opted for my New Figo 1.5D and VW Ameo 1.5 D based on that....
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
...The owners speak with such passion, I wonder if they love the car more than themselves.....
...and their better halves

Last edited by benzinblut : 25th January 2018 at 10:19. Reason: spellings
benzinblut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 12:53   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
What I meant was the brightness of the central touchscreen and not the MID on the cluster. In any case, I will look for it in the manual
Please do. Both of them are linked. I found it pretty silly as well... Android Auto's night mode takes its information from the head unit. MID - HeadUnit - HVAC controls and all LED surfaces that are dimmable are controlled by this one singular dial.
valhallen.282 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 10:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations! Great choice of car.
Hope it serves you well.

Getting it to the Pune AutoPrix?

Quote:
[
First Attempt: Feb 2017: Mahindra First Choice had an Aug 2015 : Alpha : Grey : 17,500 kms : No extended warranty : Asking 11.3 lakhs.
Hey,

I remember checking this car out too when I was on a look out. The sales guy had finally come down to Rs 9.90L which I thought was a pretty sweet deal, but I finally let it go. Yes, that wood trim and some chrome bits on the bumpers looked horrendous, but was easily reversible.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 11:45   #51
BHPian

First of all S2!!!, your official review was excellent. Because it was so detailed, it took me quite some time to cover points beyond your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Getting it to the Pune AutoPrix?
I would have come in Oct/Nov 2017 had it not been rescheduled to this weekend. Due to other plans I wont be able to make it this time unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I remember checking this car out too when I was on a look out. The sales guy had finally come down to Rs 9.90L which I thought was a pretty sweet deal, but I finally let it go. Yes, that wood trim and some chrome bits on the bumpers looked horrendous, but was easily reversible.
It was not only that trim. I didn't get that confident feeling after testing it. So I just let it go. They followed up but I clearly told them that I wasn't interested.

Last edited by benzinblut : 26th January 2018 at 11:46. Reason: editing text
benzinblut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 19:58   #52
BHPian

Great review I must say. I personally love petrol cars but I was very impressed by the S-Cross when I drove it. It’s all about the torque and the way it was dished out was very wicked. Handling was quite competent as well.

Very unfortunate of Maruti to discontinue this brilliant car. I’m sure you have gotten a good example of this car. Have fun.

P. S. Thanks for mentioning my thread in your review.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 26th January 2018 at 20:02.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 10:46   #53
BHPian

Hey @benzinblut! Bumping up your year old thread for a very selfish reason! I am currently in talks of buying a used (can't say pre worshipped as I don't know the actual owner - it's through a dealership chain) 1.6 Alpha. It's got about 35k on ODO. I simply loved testdriving this beast but confused about few things. Would really appreciate if you could clear up some doubts to help me make up my mind! All experts and other 1.6 owners are also requested to pitch in.

1) My driving is about 15km daily in city. And probably a 500-1000 km highway trip once in 2-3 months. Does it make any sense to go for this diesel beast where I know I'd be facing a lot of city traffic and the infamous turbo lag? I currently own a Honda City Vtec which is old but still an extremely capable everyday car.

2) Since you have this car for over a year now, any issues/problems that you have faced? Including parts availablity since its a discontinued model?

3) My prior cars have all been petrol, and if I finalized on this, it would be my first diesel. Since you have owned all turbo charged diesels in the past any pointers that I need to keep in mind regarding driving / maintaining diesels?

4) What's your take on the car currently, after posting that lovely exhaustive review an year back?

Looking forward to your inputs!

GD.
Old 25th February 2019, 12:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Allow me to butt in with some responses based on my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagzie View Post

1) My driving is about 15km daily in city. And probably a 500-1000 km highway trip once in 2-3 months. Does it make any sense to go for this diesel beast where I know I'd be facing a lot of city traffic and the infamous turbo lag? I currently own a Honda City Vtec which is old but still an extremely capable everyday car.
I drive around 20km per day and more on weekends + highway drives and have not found the turbo annoying. You will get used to it, not to worry

Quote:
2) Since you have this car for over a year now, any issues/problems that you have faced? Including parts availablity since its a discontinued model?
Not much problems but there will be irritations. For example, I broke my oil sump and had to wait almost a week for the part to arrive as the stock was not there in entire TN. And the cost of the spare will be higher than the 1.3 variant, especially things related to the engine. Again, the oil sump of the 1.6 costs 11300 while that of the 1.3 variant costs ~3000 per the service advisor.

Quote:
3) My prior cars have all been petrol, and if I finalized on this, it would be my first diesel. Since you have owned all turbo charged diesels in the past any pointers that I need to keep in mind regarding driving / maintaining diesels?
Nothing particular to be kept in mind. Only thing I do different from my Swift is that when I stop after a speed run on the highway, I give the car about 2 minutes for the turbo to spool down. Rest all should be routine

All in all, it has been a very good experience with the car. Go for it
arvind71181 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 13:23   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post

Not much problems but there will be irritations. For example, I broke my oil sump and had to wait almost a week for the part to arrive as the stock was not there in entire TN. And the cost of the spare will be higher than the 1.3 variant, especially things related to the engine. Again, the oil sump of the 1.6 costs 11300 while that of the 1.3 variant costs ~3000 per the service advisor.

Nothing particular to be kept in mind. Only thing I do different from my Swift is that when I stop after a speed run on the highway, I give the car about 2 minutes for the turbo to spool down. Rest all should be routine

All in all, it has been a very good experience with the car. Go for it
Now that is what scares me a bit. Being a lazy guy, I would definitely prefer a vehicle with spares readily available. If after just 3-4 years of launch (and discontinuation), one has to wait for parts for a week or 2, then what would be the scenario say about 5-6 years down the line? Whatever vehicle I end up buying, I would want to retain it for at least 5 years (I usually keep a vehicle for about 7-8 years before changing). And then I doubt that, apart from few enthusiasts, anyone would be interested in taking this vehicle off my hands, if the spares get even more scarce with time!
Gagzie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 08:30   #56
BHPian

Update long overdue.

The car had been for its 40,000km service in the first week of April 2019. I have switched back to Nexa (Sai Service) Dadar as I have a long relation with Sai Service. Other than the routine service, major issues were:
1. Check suspension for “very choppy ride”
2. Noises from the rear suspension when reversing on uneven surface.

The reports from their tests:

CROSSing the line: My pre-worshipped Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha-susp.jpg

CROSSing the line: My pre-worshipped Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha-wa.jpg

Based on the reports they concluded that the suspension is OK, even though I am not convinced.
To add to the irony, I could not reproduce the noises from the rear suspension so that issue was also left unattended.

Ironically, just a day after I got the car back there were noises when braking slowly. It was that kat-kat sound coming from the front. Initially I decided to ignore it and give it some time. But it increased to alarming levels since last week. Additionally, I again noticed the noises from rear suspension when reversing on uneven surfaces. This time I was annoyed with it and decided to turn the car in for service and settle both the above issues.

The car was given to Nexa (Sai Service) Dadar last evening and I was able to re-produce the sound after repeated trials. Finally they acknowledge the sound exists. The car is with Nexa and I expect to hear from them next week.

On the S-Cross 1.6 group we know this is an issue with the pre-facelift S-Cross 1.6 which is caused by faulty “Rear-Beam”. My car being in Extended Warranty is eligible for Rear-Beam change. I have highlighted this to Nexa and hope they don’t make me escalate the case to get justice.

To give an idea, the sound and the circumstances under which its heard are exactly like this:

Old 6th May 2019, 18:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Now that is what scares me a bit. Being a lazy guy, I would definitely prefer a vehicle with spares readily available. If after just 3-4 years of launch (and discontinuation), one has to wait for parts for a week or 2, then what would be the scenario say about 5-6 years down the line? Whatever vehicle I end up buying, I would want to retain it for at least 5 years (I usually keep a vehicle for about 7-8 years before changing). And then I doubt that, apart from few enthusiasts, anyone would be interested in taking this vehicle off my hands, if the spares get even more scarce with time!
After getting scared few months back, I bought myself a pre-owned S-Cross 1.6. Went for a test drive, loved it to the hilt and decided to finalize the deal. So now I am also a 'proud' owner of this gentle giant.

Quote:
Update long overdue.

On the S-Cross 1.6 group we know this is an issue with the pre-facelift S-Cross 1.6 which is caused by faulty “Rear-Beam”. My car being in Extended Warranty is eligible for Rear-Beam change. I have highlighted this to Nexa and hope they don’t make me escalate the case to get justice.

To give an idea, the sound and the circumstances under which its heard are exactly like this
I did mention being a proud owner in quotes because just 2 days back I have started hearing an extremely faint clack sound when I am driving at, basically, crawling speeds. As of now its faint, its irregular, but learning about the rear beam fault for the first time I have this heart-sinking feeling. Moreover my car is not even covered under extended warranty. If this sound worsens, should I take my car to the Nexa Auth. SS or my local FNG? This little sound is driving me crazy and to think of it, past 2+ months I have been driving crazily in love with this beast.

Gagz

Last edited by ampere : 6th May 2019 at 20:13. Reason: removed video link from quoted post
Old 7th May 2019, 08:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that is what scares me a bit. Being a lazy guy, I would definitely prefer a vehicle with spares readily available.
When I went for my 60k service, I found a Breeza jacked up with a missing transmission. Casually asked my mechie on the issue, as per him the SVC is waiting for the spares since 3 weeks. The oil filter cover of my car got damaged by the mechanic. The part wasn't available in any of the dealers in Pune. Will be able to replace only in the next service.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 18:39   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Update long overdue.
... On the S-Cross 1.6 group we know this is an issue with the pre-facelift S-Cross 1.6 which is caused by faulty “Rear-Beam”. My car being in Extended Warranty is eligible for Rear-Beam change. I have highlighted this to Nexa and hope they don’t make me escalate the case to get justice.
Finally, got the car back from Nexa Service last week.

The Rear-Beam was changed under Extended Warranty. I am glad I didn't have to escalate the issue and Sai Service Nexa did it all on their own.

Also, the front sound was diagnosed to front Discs and Pads. Replaced both and the sound was gone.

Despite the rear beam change, I still feel the suspension to be choppy. The shock absorbers are the same and I think they are the main culprits.

Quote:
...I did mention being a proud owner in quotes because just 2 days back I have started hearing an extremely faint clack sound when I am driving at, basically, crawling speeds.
Congratulations!!

I suggest you to investigate further and try to find the source of the sound. Take it to Nexa and let them identify the problem. To get the job done from them or elsewhere you can decide later.

FYI: Extended Warranty can be purchased provided your car is less than 2 years old.

Last edited by benzinblut : 7th May 2019 at 18:39. Reason: Formatting
benzinblut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 13:00   #60
BHPian

The battery is not 3.5 years old and it has started showing signs of giving up. Based on the recommendations from other S-Cross 1.6 owners, I decided to go for Amaron FLO over Exide.

I got a significantly good deal on batterybhai.com. This was my first experience with them and I am mighty pleased.

Oven fresh battery from May 2019:
CROSSing the line: My pre-worshipped Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha-20190601_110816.jpg

Special mention:
It was a hot summer day and the technician, Abdulbhai, was fasting for Ramadan. He came all the way on a scooter and immediately finished the job. After the hard work in the heat I took him inside my office for the warranty/billing process. I also offered him to sit some more time to cool down, to which he politely refused as he had other calls to honor. A big thumbs up to this guy's dedication.
CROSSing the line: My pre-worshipped Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha-20190601_110305.jpg

Last edited by benzinblut : 1st June 2019 at 13:02. Reason: Arranging photos
benzinblut is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed