Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 14:11   #46
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd

My experience with OBD II scanner-

To summarise it shorty, not good. I got this one delivered to me on 5th March-

https://www.amazon.in/Robostore-Indi...motive&sr=1-11

I had hooked up the same to my car and was trying out the various functions/readings that the Torque Pro App gives.

I drove around for some time and then switched off the car with the OBD 2 connected plugged in. About 15 minutes later, I started the car with the scanner plugged in and noticed that there was no light at all on the instrument cluster. The dials weren't working either. It had gone completely dead. The sound of indicators was also absent.

I tried to restart the car multiple times but to no avail.

I had to finally go the Ford ASS where this was rectified via some coding. This was covered under extended warranty.

I don't think I will be using these scanners anymore, at least not on the Figo. I agree that this may not be the best scanner out there but I have seen similar scanners being used by multiple people on various forums/videos etc. It could be a case of bad luck, but as they, better safe than sorry.

My experience with 3M cleaning at Bhavna Ford, Turbhe-

A few weeks back, a painting activity was taking place in a nearby building and since we have a dedicated space for only 1 car, my car faced the brunt of the falling paint and had paint spots all over it. Even after multiple washes, the spots were still present at multiple places. Also, a few days back, some idiot had ran his keys all over the right side of my car(spanning across both the doors). The scratch was not too deep though, nor was it too shallow.

I showed these to my allotted SA who suggested 3M cleaning for the same. The 3M supervisor along with his chaps took 3 hours to clean my car(both external and internal cleaning) and eliminate those paint spots. They also took care of scratches by the means of buffing and scratch removing compound. The scratches at the side are practically non-existent now.

The 3M cleaning service(officially referred to as- Surface Refinement) costed me about INR 3700 inclusive of all taxes. While I do believe that the services at an actual 3M facility would be better, the services offered at the showroom(atleast this one) is definitely good in itself.

After this experience, I'd say that it may not be too bad a decision to get the car thoroughly cleaned and getting those minor scratches removed at the showroom itself. Once every 2 years if not yearly.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 03:36   #47
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd

So, finally scratched the remap itch. Got it done from Code6.

The damage to the wallet was 18k. It is a stage 1+ remap and the quoted figure was 130Bhp/270NM. Have not dynoed it though and don't think I will. The map took hardly 45 mins to complete. Review-

1. Drivability/low end-

It has definitely improved. The slight hesitation which was there between 1500-2000 rpm is reduced now and the car starts to pull from 1500 rpm itself(earlier, this threshold was somewhere around the 2000 rpm).

The tendency of the car to lug has reduced. The car feels 'fine' even at lower RPMs.

Overall, I would say that the map has further improved the drivability of the engine.

2. The mid range-

The car definitely feels more powerful than before. The 'mid range' kick treads on the fine line between linear and sudden. Yes, it is not as explosive as the VAG engines but it is not as linear as before, especially in the second gear. There is a wee bit of torque steer as well.

The real difference is the way in which the car picks up speed. It is definitely quicker than before. On a stretch where I could reach a certain speed till a certain distance, I was now able to achieve 30km/h more.

Even if you get to 3000 rpm gradually, if you mash the pedal, you do get that kick which wasn't there before.

I was expecting some tyre spin but that did not happen though there is a very very slight feel of wheel spin when the turbo starts to spool. In Navi Mumbai, there was rain in some parts and I did pass through a patch of slightly wet road section and when I accelerated in the 2nd gear through the patch, there was wheel spin. Now I have passed through wet patches multiple times before at lower gears and have never experienced wheel spin before.

I wasn't sure how the 14 inchers would hold up, but so far, so good. Tyre upgrade is being planned in the next 18-24 months.

In Navi Mumbai, we have a place called Parsik Hills, which is like a township on top of a hill. The real fun is climbing up that hill which gives you the feeling of twisty roads while going to a hill station. I intentionally climbed up the hill on Monday and did the same today and was able to gauge the difference in the car's response. The car was able to climb up much more effortlessly and at locations which needed me to shift to second, I could navigate the easily in the third gear.

I have not revved the car in the 1st gear, nor do I intend do.

3. The top end-

The engine feels adequately powerful even at 4000/4500 RPM as compared to before. Of course, the engine is still at its power band at this rpm, but due to the increased torque, the feeling of power in enhanced.

4. Mileage-

I am going to need at least a couple tankfuls to gauge the fuel efficiency. And in the current times of Corona and more importantly these lazy control methods called 'lockdown', this might take a few months.

Future/suggestions-

I was supposed to travel to Pune today but that has been deferred till the start of next month. Would be great to travel across the expressway with the remapped Figo. Will revert with my feedback post this long drive.

Code6 has suggested a full EGR delete. Currently, it is a soft delete.

Stage 2 will involve EGR full delete and an upgraded K&N air filter. MAF sensor cleaning was also suggested to me.

I might get the stage 2 after a couple of years and at that time, get my MAF sensor cleaned.

To sum it up-

Pros-

1. Imporved drivability.

2. Better mid range.

3. Better top end.

4. The engine sound more 'strong' and 'throaty'. Basically, it gives you the vibe that the engine under the hood is eager to go.

Cons/improvements-

1. Does not give the push in the seat feeling as much as I was expecting. The stock Jetta is still better in this regard. However, in the 3rd gear, the remapped Figo gives you the better kick in the pants feeling.

The current ODO reading- 23,750km.

Attaching a pic taken from Code6's Instagram story-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-screenshot_20210413214412_instagram.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 14th April 2021 at 11:29. Reason: As requested
AYP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 14:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
1. Drivability/low end-
Quick question. I have a BS6 Ecosport, and have always felt that the driveability between 1500 and 2000RPM was anyways quite excellent. In fact it picks up power from around 1400 RPM onwards in a linear manner. Has there been any improvement in your car in levels below 1500 RPM - that is between 1000 and 1500 RPM? I would think that segment could do with a little more poke.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th February 2023 at 05:57. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 14th April 2021, 14:17   #49
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Quick question. I have a BS6 Ecosport, and have always felt that the driveability between 1500 and 2000RPM was anyways quite excellent. In fact it picks up power from around 1400 RPM onwards in a linear manner. Has there been any improvement in your car in levels below 1500 RPM - that is between 1000 and 1500 RPM? I would think that segment could do with a little more poke.
Yes, there have been improvements at RPMs lower than 1500 as well. Though they are not as pronounced as the higher RPMs.
Old 12th July 2021, 13:07   #50
BHPian

Hey AYP,

I am looking forward to remap my Ford Freestyle TDCi and I wish to know your long-term experience.

1. Does the car smoke on WOT?
2. How's the improvement in diesel clatter?
3. Did you get chance to enjoy the car on expressway? If yes, what difference the remapped Figo made over the stock?
4. Have you observed any changes in the fuel economy?

Please do share your additional observations with this remap.

Regards,
Viraj
Old 20th July 2021, 00:01   #51
AYP
Senior - BHPian

So, after an uneventful last 1 year(except for the remap back in April), the last few weeks were somewhat eventful.

Event 1-

Got the 4th year service done last month. Odo reading was about 23.5k.

The total damage to the wallet was about 12k. Yes, this also included the replacement battery as well as alignment and balancing. And 1 fused bulb as well.

From the past few months, I had noticed that the car took slightly longer crank than normal to start. I thought of mentioning this upfront to the SA but instead decided to wait for the analysis which is done during the service. And voila! the battery was indeed weak and I gave the go ahead for the replacement. The replacement battery was worth 4.5k which included INR 500 buyback for the old battery.

After removing the additional costs like battery, alignment, balancing, bulb etc. the effective price for the service was about 6k, which is reasonable.

Event 2-

Was finally able to take her out on a spin on the Mumbai Pune Expressway a couple of weeks back. The total trip was about 235km in total(to and fro).

Due to the rains, I was driving in a much more discreet way. I will definitely take her out on a spin again on the expressway post the monsoon season.

While I was able to observe the change in the low and the mid range of the engine even during the city drives and short bursts of speeds, it was on this trip that I realised that there is an improvement at the higher range as well. The car picks speed much more easily. To put it in the most appropriate way, I'd say that post remap, going from 100-120 now feels like 70-90 of the pre-remap. The same can be interpolated to other speed ranges as well.

The hesitation which creeped in while driving the car at a certain speed has vanished and has perhaps shifted to a higher level. I doubt I will ever be able to witness that threshold, nor do I intend to.

While we all like to keep our rides clean, there is something pleasing about a light coloured car covered in dirt, especially after a long trip. Don't believe me? See for yourselves-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20210709_114348.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20210709_105429.jpg

Event 3-

In order to save an auto which decided to stop not on his lane but encroach upon my lane(from the road on the left side) meant that I had to sway towards the right and a truck who was on my right swiped my right side ORVM.

This happened when I was 60km away from home but thankfully, the mirror was intact and the retract and adjust functioning was working fine. Pics of the damage-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20210711_153426.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20210711_153443.jpg

Took the car to the Ford ASS(Bhavna Ford Turbhe) the next day and thankfully, the part was in stock. The outer cover though had to be painted and was delivered after a day.

After repairs-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20210712_135529.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20210714_132202.jpg

The total damage to the wallet was 5.8k out of which about 4000 was for the mirror assembly and about 1800 for the outer cover which included the painting cost.

Event 4-

In my first real mileage test post remap, I got an MID reading of 18.5-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20210711_172157.jpg

While I do agree that this trip did involve more highway runs, but compared to my earlier highway runs, the trips done during this tankful actually involved more city drives. In my earlier highway trips, I never used to get more than 15-16kmpl and thus was pleasantly surprised at this reading.

Though after calculating the average via the tankful method, the average came out to be 17.5 kmpl which is not bad at all considering the fact that I drive with a heavy foot.

To summarise, I would say that the mileage has increased by about 2 km on an average when it comes to highway or mixed runs. This was further substantiated by my next trip to Ankleshwar.

I haven't yet got the chance to observe the mileage difference in pure city runabout.

Event 5-

Another trip came up last weekend. The trip was to Ankleshwar in Gujarat from Navi Mumbai with a total round trip distance of about 650 km. I was hopeful of completing the journey on a single tank of fuel but had no intention of adjusting my driving style to accommodate this wish.

At the end of the trip, I got an MID reading of 20.4 kmpl-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20210717_064346.jpg

However, I was sceptical of this reading mainly due to the fuel needle position as well as the DTE reading. I had travelled about 669km and DTE reading was about 50km. Considering the fact that the Figo diesel comes with a 40L fuel tank, this was indicating a mileage of about 18kmpl.

Filled the car up to the brim(until auto-cut) and the car gulped in 38.6L of fuel, which meant that the actual average was about 17.3kmpl.

While I am not disappointed at all with the mileage, I was surprised by the difference of almost 3kmpl between the MID and the actual. Generally, this difference has always hovered in the 0.5-1 kmpl range.

Can remap have such an effect on the MID readings? I don't think it should have an effect but just asking. Are there any other remapped(or non remapped) TDCi owners who have faced such a large discrepancy between the actual and the indicated mileage?

A few parting pics of the car after the Ankleshwar trip-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20210717_064528.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20210717_064533.jpg

Event 6-

While on the trip to Ankleshwar, I got to drive the new I20 for a short while. It was the NA 1.2 petrol Asta(o) variant.

The cabin does indeed feel premium. This was the first time that I was inside a cabin with a touchscreen bigger than a 7 inch size and man does the 10.25 inch screen look huge. It completely dominates the central area of the cabin and truth be told, does look premium. The combined effect of the touchscreen, the digital dials, the sunroof etc. does make the cabin feel premium. It makes the Baleno and the Polo look a whole generation old while making my car feel 2 generations old. I still feel that Hyundai should have offered some more sliver elements to break the black monotony.

On the other hand, the steering has no heft at all. It's like playing a racing game at one of those gaming zones. You know that moving the steering will have an effect on the car but there is no direct connection. None at all. The clutch is extremely light. I have driven the previous gen Elite i20 and this one has an even lighter clutch.

Overall, I am happy that I did not settle for an 80ish BHP hatchback back in the day and went with a turbo(diesel) engine which has a direct steering and a real remap potential.

The current odo reading is at 25,2xx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraj.515 View Post
Hey AYP,

I am looking forward to remap my Ford Freestyle TDCi and I wish to know your long-term experience.

1. Does the car smoke on WOT?
Yes, the car does smoke under hand acceleration but it used to do that earlier as well. I do not have a reference of earlier vs now so can't say if it has reduced or increased.

Quote:
2. How's the improvement in diesel clatter?
Haven't noticed any real change.

Quote:
3. Did you get chance to enjoy the car on expressway? If yes, what difference the remapped Figo made over the stock?
4. Have you observed any changes in the fuel economy?

Please do share your additional observations with this remap.
I have shared my observation on these points in my post above your quoted post. Additional observations are as per the post 47. Nothing else to report as such. If you have any specific query, do let me know.

It was raining a lot around Navsari last Friday during my trip to Ankleshwar.

Last edited by AYP : 20th July 2021 at 00:03.
AYP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 00:28   #52
AYP
Senior - BHPian

A few updates-

1. Mileage in city post remap-

While I have noticed an average increase of 1.5 kmpl during highway or mixed runs, when it comes to pure city runs, I am getting the same mileage as before. Hovers around the 15kmpl mark.

2. Gearbox issues-

a. 6 months after buying the car(early 2018), I started hearing a grinding sound while engaging the second gear. It used to happen intermittently. Also, I remember a couple of instances where the gears completely refused to engage. Went to Bhavna Ford Turbhe and was told to change the mats . Later though, IIRC, some 'locking rings' were changed and the issue was 'resolved'. However, even after this, on longer journeys(more than an hour long/15-20kms, I still used to hear this grinding sound while engaging the second gear.

b. I pointed this out to the SAs during my 2nd and 3rd yearly service at Bhavna Ford Turbhe, but was humbly offered their premium 'linkage greasing service' which did nothing to resolve this issue. At this moment of time, I had practically made peace with this issue/niggle and had accepted it as a part and parcel of the entire package.

c. Late October of 2021, I started hearing this grinding sound much more often and the sound was amplified by at least 5 times if not more. Have a look/listen-

I also started to face issues while engaging the 1st and the 2nd gear and had to often take off in the 3rd gear. Went to Bhavna Ford Turbhe on 9th November. While the issue of the gears not engaging was replicated, the 2nd gear grinding sound was absent during the test drive. I showed the above video to the technician and he said something about syncromesh not engaging properly and promptly advised the dismantling of the gearbox.

d. The car was finally delivered to me on 29th of November(3 weeks) and a total estimate along with labour was around 50k. However, thankfully, I had opted for Extended warranty for the 5th and 6th year and had to pay only about 8k from my pocket. I had practically decided not to avail the EW since I had remapped my car but the newly introduced EW plan for both the 5th and the 6th year for only an extra 500 over the EW plan for the 5th year only(15,500 vs 15,000) made me go for it. The SA called me a week after I gave in my car and 'recommended' me to change the clutch and the master cylinder. This was to make sure that all the components are new and there are no issues later on. I was sceptical of this approach, but ultimately relented to be on the safe side. The silver lining is that I was not charged any additional labour charge for the clutch and the slave cylinder. I am attaching the pics of the old clutch. Now I am no expert when it comes to determining the clutch life and would request the experts to chip in about the condition of the clutch. The marks which we can see on the clutch, are they due to the wear and tear?

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211215_153220.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211215_153233.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211215_153248.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211215_153302.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211215_153406.jpg

e. Clutch slave cylinder-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211215_153139.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211215_153143.jpg

f. Attaching the pics of the invoice with the list of parts changed-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211214_223348.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211214_223407.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211214_223423.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211214_223436.jpg

3. Aftermath-

a. Well, it seems like the issue has been finally resolved. It feels like driving an all new 2017 Figo diesel. The gearbox feels much more tactile to use(though this could purely be because of the oil change). The gearbox also feels much more direct and not vague like before.

b. The clutch feels much smoother to operate. The occasional juddering, especially in the lower gears, has reduced considerably.

Overall, I am pleased with the work(even though it took 3 weeks). Shall be able to pass final judgement only after clocking more miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I am eager to know the issues you faced with your Gear Box and what repairs did you carry out. I have been facing terrible times with the Gear Box and cables. It gets stuck on 1st or Reverse gear. Ford ASS advised to change the entire clutch assembly, which I did and paid 20K for the same. That hasnt resolved the problem and had to get it checked from a local mechanic. Such minor to medium level niggles assure me that a warranty extension is a must. However once I drive the car, these things are forgotten.
I have described my issue and the resolution in the above post. Hope it helps. Getting the EW is highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Recently had a blast on Lonavla Ghats and then pulling it on Amby Valley Air Strip.
Hey man, can you elaborate more on the Amby Valley Air strip? Can anyone go and have a blast? What's the scene exactly? I do know that a couple of weeks back, there was some drag race event which took place there.

Last edited by AYP : 16th December 2021 at 00:41.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 00:29   #53
AYP
Senior - BHPian

In continuation with the above post, the left seek/call accept button on the steering stopped working. I asked the SA to arrange for a replacement under extended warranty. However, on closer inspection, it was found that the crack is in the screw housing in the silver steering trim. Some pics as shared by SA-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-img20211127wa0034.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-img20211127wa0035.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-img20211127wa0036.jpg

I promptly asked the SA to order the trim to which the SA responded that the entire steering(worth 8k) has to be changed. As per the SA, Ford does not provide only the steering trim as a child part. On the top of that, the SA said that since this issue is related to the steering trim and not the steering itself, it will not be covered under warranty.

I on the other hand insisted the SA to cover this replacement under the extended warranty stating that it is the diagnosis of Bhavna Ford that the entire steering needs to be changed for a small fault in the steering trim and that this should be treated as an issue related to the steering and should be covered under the EW.

Finally, on the day that I took delivery of my car after the extensive gearbox job, the SA asked me for a day or two and then called me later to tell me that steering wheel is not covered under extended warranty. I am attaching the PDF containing the what's covered and what's not covered details under the extended warranty. Prima facie, I am unable to see the steering being covered.

Booklet Ford Protect.pdf

The technicians at Ford did some jugaad and were able to fix the issue at least temporarily by the use of glue-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20211214_221538.jpg

Another thing to note is that if you zoom in on the sections within the red and orange markers, you can see scratches and abrasions on the steering trim which weren't there before. The jugaad work and these fresh scratches are really triggering my OCD. Question to members-

1. Can this, i.e. steering replacement, be covered under extended warranty?

2. Can this steering trim be sourced from Ford? I find it unlikely that Ford wouldn't have made a child part for this. Is the SA pulling a fast one on me?

3. Can the trim be sourced from outside? If yes, link please. Will prefer to get it done via Ford only though.

4. Can anything be done for the service centre induced scratches? Or do I just accept this as a part and parcel of the overall service experience? When I confronted the SA about this, he indirectly mentioned that you can never know if these scratches are fresh or whether they are from before and nothing can be done. The only thing which I could do was give a poor rating in car 'cleanliness' section of the feedback. So, am I being too picky? How do you guys deal with issues like these?
Old 23rd November 2022, 10:00   #54
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The car breached the 30k mark last week, after more than 5 years and 2 months of ownership.

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20221113_131721.jpg

Got the car serviced in June(5 year/30k). The total damage to the wallet was INR 7,100(inclusive of wheel balancing and alignment). Also got the front passenger power window switch changed under warranty.

Ford has introduced extended warranty for the 7th year as well. I guess it is their way of extracting the maximum from the Ford owners of India, but mainly to ensure that the service centres keep getting business from customers. I do plan to get the 7th year extended warranty next year. The car is still on stock tyres and I do plan to get them changed next year before the rains. I plan to stick to the stock size. Any recommendations for tyres in the stock size? Is Michelin available? If not Michelin, what are the other options in the stock size? Is Continental UltraContact UC6 any good?

https://www.tyremarket.com/Continent...-82-H-Car-Tyre
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:40   #55
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Any recommendations for tyres in the stock size? Is Michelin available? If not Michelin, what are the other options in the stock size? Is Continental UltraContact UC6 any good?

https://www.tyremarket.com/Continent...-82-H-Car-Tyre
You can go with 185-65-R14 without any issues. If warranty is a concern, go with 175's.

Michellin energy xm2 are good but expensive. I'm running Pirelli p6 centuaro. They are amazing and give a cushy ride compared to Michelins. You won't go wrong with either of them .
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 16:31   #56
AYP
Senior - BHPian

A couple of events took place recently-

Event 1-

I got to use one of the least used feature of the Figo, or for that matter, any car. The warning triangle .

The gear lever came loose and wasn't slotting in any gear and as a result, my car came to a halt right on top of a bridge on the Thane Belapur road, just before Ikea in Turbhe. This happened on 13th January at around 6:30 pm. I wish that it had stopped a few hundred metres before as stopping right in the middle of a bridge was frustrating and embarrassing at the same time. I called HDFC Ergo and the pickup truck was allocated within 30 minutes though it took him an hour to arrive at my location. Some pics from the unfortunate event-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20230113_195931_exported_1675142455580.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20230113_202510_exported_1675142495299.jpg

It was good to see that they had sent a pickup with a flatbed at the back-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20230113_204004_exported_1675142527215.jpg

I sat in the car while they transported the car to the Ford service centre. When the flatbed was being lifted, it felt like I was on a ride since I was sitting in the car while looking down from the bridge-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20230113_205307_exported_1675142566051.jpg

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20230113_205310_exported_1675142588199.jpg

What was the problem you may ask? The same old gear shifter bush which costs 500 bucks. This part generally fails after 5-6 years and I have heard many people being stranded because of this. This was an issue with the previous gen Figo as well since it also had the same gearbox. Our earlier Fiesta(2007, 1.4 petrol) never encountered this problem for all the 9 years it was with us. Truth be told, the gear shifts(especially the 3rd and the 4th gear) had become extra rubbery since the past few months but I chose to ignore it. I have made a mental note to myself that I will get it changed again proactively in 2027. If you do own a car with the IB5 gearbox, it is better to get it changed proactively. Will hardly cost you 500 bucks. The part number of the bush-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-camscanner-02012023-15.41.jpg

I also got the break pad changed. I had changed my pads earlier at 17k, 2nd service. The replacement pads lasted for about 3.5 years and 14k kms. I also got the rear bumper replaced under insurance. A bike had rammed into my bumper a few months prior during monsoon. The damage was minor though.

On my vehicle check up report, I observed that my rotors are in the 'yellow' category(green being good and red being bad) and may need replacement next year if not in 2023. Has anyone got them replaced? How much do they cost?

The damaged bumper-

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-20230114_114421_exported_1675142642714.jpg

Event 2-

Visited the Samruddhi Expressway on 25th from Navi Mumbai. I only went till Aurangabad which is 98km from the Shirdi interchange. The total distance was slightly over 700km.

The detailed post can be found at this link-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5486699 (Samruddhi Mahamarg: 701 km super expressway will connect Nagpur to Mumbai)

The current odometer reading is at 31,750 kms. Next update is mostly going to be about the tyre change. I plan to stick to the stock size to avoid warranty issues and to avoid any error in speedo reading. I also plan to take the extended warranty for the 7th year in July.

Last edited by AYP : 1st February 2023 at 16:45.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 16:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:

What was the problem you may ask? The same old gear shifter bush which costs 500 bucks. .
BTW, you could have done jugaad assuming you know where exactly this bush is. People have tied the gear shift cable to the gear box shifter using thread to reach nearest workshop. Usually the cable dislodges itself from the shifter once rubber gives away. I myself have managed to put the gear cable back and shifted to 2nd to reach the service centre.
Quote:

I also got the break pad changed. I had changed my pads earlier at 17k, 2nd service. The replacement pads lasted for about 3.5 years and 14k kms.
Not sure if the parts are different or the quality has gone down, but I replaced the first set at 70k mark in 1st gen Figo. Currently at 124k and this set still should go for additional 15k.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 21:53   #58
BHPian

Quote:

The gear lever came loose and wasn't slotting in any gear and as a result, my car came to a halt right on top of a bridge on the Thane Belapur road, just before Ikea in Turbhe. This happened on 13th January at around 6:30 pm. I wish that it had stopped a few hundred metres before as stopping right in the middle of a bridge was frustrating and embarrassing at the same time.
We own a Fiesta for little over a decade, and have faced this issue several times. The bush goes bad and leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere (at times), but you can always predict it happening.

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-img_20200130_0003368612.jpg
Pic from 2020. We got stuck in the midnight at around 12:30am on a pretty deserted road (Besant Avenue, Chennai) due to the bush going bad. Called the Ford service, and they asked Rs.4250 for any assistance (the nearest service center is 20kms from this place). So we decided to call a family friend for rescue (who owns a new Gen Fiesta), to tow the car back home.

While the car was being towed, we realised the 3rd gear got engaged somehow, and drove the car back home in 3rd gear (being midnight, it was not an issue). Next day, drove the car in 3rd gear(despite being a Petrol car, it was not very difficult to get moving in 3rd gear from rest) to the service centre, and got the part replaced.

Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-img_20200130_000416687.jpg

The bush has given away 2 times since and we replaced it prematurely, whenever we felt the gear was getting loose. Infact we always keep an extra bush with us in the car.

The problem occurs depending on your driving style and the car usage.
DocwithFiesta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 13:31   #59
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
BTW, you could have done jugaad assuming you know where exactly this bush is. People have tied the gear shift cable to the gear box shifter using thread to reach nearest workshop. Usually the cable dislodges itself from the shifter once rubber gives away. I myself have managed to put the gear cable back and shifted to 2nd to reach the service centre.
Do you know how this Jugaad can be done? Any pointers, posts or videos available online for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Not sure if the parts are different or the quality has gone down, but I replaced the first set at 70k mark in 1st gen Figo. Currently at 124k and this set still should go for additional 15k.
Could be the driving style as well. But 4 times more mileage? Pheew! Thankfully, the disks do not cost too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocwithFiesta View Post
We own a Fiesta for little over a decade, and have faced this issue several times. The bush goes bad and leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere (at times), but you can always predict it happening.

While the car was being towed, we realised the 3rd gear got engaged somehow, and drove the car back home in 3rd gear (being midnight, it was not an issue). Next day, drove the car in 3rd gear(despite being a Petrol car, it was not very difficult to get moving in 3rd gear from rest) to the service centre, and got the part replaced.

The bush has given away 2 times since and we replaced it prematurely, whenever we felt the gear was getting loose. Infact we always keep an extra bush with us in the car.

The problem occurs depending on your driving style and the car usage.
Good to know that you were not inconvenienced much. We also had a Fiesta 1.4 petrol from 2007-2016 but we never faced this problem even though it had the same gearbox. Where did you source the bush from? Ford Service centre?
Old 25th February 2023, 00:20   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know that you were not inconvenienced much. We also had a Fiesta 1.4 petrol from 2007-2016 but we never faced this problem even though it had the same gearbox. Where did you source the bush from? Ford Service centre?
Yeah, we got lucky that time.

And nope, we didn't source the part from service center. There's a Ford Authorised Spare parts store in the city, where almost all the parts are available.
Conquering the heart & mind with my Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi Titanium! Now Code6'd-img_20220522_1355035662.jpg

And, as far as I remember, we once sourced from a local shop as well.
DocwithFiesta is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks