Team-BHP - My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/196709-my-pre-owned-skoda-yeti-edit-remapped-wolf-moto-now-stage-3-a-10.html)

Head on, with a more contemporary player!

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-img_20220108_173646.jpg

ODO: 118xxx

The Yeti has been doing multiple Palakkad-Kochi drives regularly recently ever since we moved to Kochi. The drive only gets better! No issues to report at all. Recently got the Fog bulbs replaced with LEDs as well ( P8 6000LM) and yesterday, installed the Hella Chrome Trumpet. Total damage: Rs.8000. Will look to change the fluids in another 2000 km!

From a lazy (birding) drive in the evening today! @Palakkad

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-v61a12062.jpg

ODO: 119xxx

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-mvimg_20220227_204958.jpg

The yeti saw some serious cosmetic work. Got the silver-finished part on the bumpers (both front and rear) painted metallic grey professionally. The grill along with the lower chrome lip is now in glossy black. The Skoda emblem on the bonnet has been replaced with a new unit sourced from Bodmoo. Not much running for the yeti in the last month or so as we are kind of stuck in Palakkad for personal reasons.

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-img_20220212_203502.jpg

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-img_20220212_204100.png

The engine bay after a couple of hours of hard work recently!
My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-img_20220217_140117.jpg
My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-img_20220217_140215_1.jpg

I hate to be in a dirty cabin. Thanks to the quality of materials used in the Yeti, maintaining the interior has always been a joy!
My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-img_20220227_205405_1.jpg

Excellent thread !
Don't know how did I miss this thread for such a long ?

I'm the owner of Laura 2012 facelift 2.0 TDI 5-MT from 3 years( I believe the powertrain is exactly same as that of Yeti 110PS)

Though my car is in pristine condition with odometer running at 70k Kms, I have few complains though (I can live with it but, !!??)

1. Slight noise from Release bearing.
I guess it is not from the Flywheel. I have the entire DMF + Clutch Kit + release bearing replaced at 60K kms. I have been observing this prior to the replacement also since I have purchased when the odo was 35k KMS.

2. Gear shifter feels sloppy
My previous car was Polo GT 1.6 TDI and the gear shifts were meaty and were direct. However, I feel there is a slight vertical & horizontal play in the gear shifts that reminds me the age of the car. I have heard that the 5-speed gear shifter assembly in Laura/Yeti (110 PS) are prone to become sloppy very quickly. Have you been facing the same ? How to fix this ?

3. Low end torque is not so great. Car of this size and weight needs more low end torque. Also car comes to a halt if I'm not careful engaging into right gears.

4. Ride is plush but the extra body roll at higher speeds really kills the driving pleasure. I have replaced the rear shocks, connecting rods, steering tie rods, front shock bearings & mounts, Gearbox mount from Brand Meyle as a precautionary measure. Though the drive is decent but I'm still not able to enjoy the high speed drives on slightly uneven roads.

I am not a fan of highspeed cornering and rash driving etc, but even on a straight stretchy roads, above 100kmph, car doesn't feel stiff. However, case is entirely different with the passengers & luggage compartment occupied.

5. Mid range is good but lacks the punch.

Can you please help me address these issues that I am facing on my ~10 years old Laura. I am not able to let it go for its replacement because of the tank like built structure and the premium materials used in it. Especially the smooth 2.0 TDI engine.

I feel Yeti/Laura is a no non-sense car without any complicated electronic gimmicks under the hood. Having practical ground clearance serves the purpose and keep us smile every time we hit on the Tarmac.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeru (Post 5268791)
Though my car is in pristine condition with odometer running at 70k Kms, I have few complains though (I can live with it but, !!??)

1. It looks like a minor thing that you can ignore since it’s there even after the clutch overhaul. Not sure if it’s the clutch pedal or similar though!
2. The Gear shift in my Yeti is excellent and super precise. No sponginess or anything. Note that, even though I am a spirited driver, the gear changes are done gently always
3. Yes, the factory tune makes the low end a bit uninspiring. My Yeti is Pete’s remapped which has taken care of it. The 2.0 TDI is remap friendly and any reputed professional can do the job and the remap hasn’t given any trouble at all. But since you don’t go beyond 100 km/h, it might be an overkill. In fact, the remap has made the engine more refined (perceived) = quieter
4. The suspension is stiff even in the factory setting and the body roll is nonexistent which must be the case with your Laura too, if not better. Something isn’t right there. You will need a full suspension inspection that includes the state of the lower arm (and of course shock absorbers). Please sort this as the strongest point in these cars are the driving pleasure and handling. Also, which tyres are you on, and what tyre pressures you usually maintain (and how often do you check it?). Also check the alignment at a good place.
Also note that my Yeti is running on Bilstein B6 dampers. It has made the slow ride a bit stiffer, but the handling (at any speed) is extraordinary. It’s a leech on the highway on curves!

You can get the engine in a better state of tune (of your taste), but please, sort the suspension (and handling) prior to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M35 (Post 5269139)
1. It looks like a minor thing that you can ignore since it’s there even after the clutch overhaul. Not sure if it’s the clutch pedal or similar though!

Yes, I agree it is minor and I can ignore

Quote:

2. The Gear shift in my Yeti is excellent and super precise. No sponginess or anything. Note that, even though I am a spirited driver, the gear changes are done gently always

Gear shifts are proper but I'm not liking that extra sponginess in my car. I will post a video of it soon.

Quote:

3. Yes, the factory tune makes the low end a bit uninspiring. My Yeti is Pete’s remapped which has taken care of it. The 2.0 TDI is remap friendly and any reputed professional can do the job and the remap hasn’t given any trouble at all. But since you don’t go beyond 100 km/h, it might be an overkill. In fact, the remap has made the engine more refined (perceived) = quieter

I tried to get it tuned from TOT, Code6 etc, but I want to first address the high speed stability issues. Also I'm worried about the negatives that might crop post re-map like fuel pump failure, injector failure and ECU failure due to more heat generation etc., many times i stopped myself from getting it tuned for these reasons considering it is almost 9 + years old car.

Quote:

4. The suspension is stiff even in the factory setting and the body roll is nonexistent which must be the case with your Laura too, if not better. Something isn’t right there. You will need a full suspension inspection that includes the state of the lower arm (and of course shock absorbers). Please sort this as the strongest point in these cars are the driving pleasure and handling. Also, which tyres are you on, and what tyre pressures you usually maintain (and how often do you check it?). Also check the alignment at a good place.
Also note that my Yeti is running on Bilstein B6 dampers. It has made the slow ride a bit stiffer, but the handling (at any speed) is extraordinary. It’s a leech on the highway on curves!

I too agree that the suspension is stiff out of the factory but what i feel is, this car need more stiffer setup. I have explored enough on getting OE springs and rear heavy gauge ARB etc., but all these are experiments.
After reading your thread, I am more inclined towards upgrading to B6. But spending 1L for the suspension is way too much. I will try to source it by myself and i can save some 20-25k which i will use for other upgrades that i have in my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeru (Post 5269538)
Gear shifts are proper but I'm not liking that extra sponginess in my car. I will post a video of it soon.

No sponginess at all, in fact, a joy to go through!
Quote:

I tried to get it tuned from TOT, Code6 etc, but I want to first address the high speed stability issues. Also I'm worried about the negatives that might crop post re-map like fuel pump failure, injector failure and ECU failure due to more heat generation etc., many times i stopped myself from getting it tuned for these reasons considering it is almost 9 + years old car.
Understandable. I had gotten the remap done some 4 years ago on a 4/5-year-old Yeti then. It had run some 64000 km IIRC. Now the ODO reads 119xxx, almost double. I do push my Yeti, at the same time take care of it like a baby. I also use those injector cleaners (fuel additives) every 5k km. Haven't had any issues related to the remap so far.

Quote:

After reading your thread, I am more inclined towards upgrading to B6. But spending 1L for the suspension is way too much.
Agree, considering its already 10 years old. Again if you drive it sedately, you might not notice the difference as the OE is excellent too. Please give it a thorough examination, of the suspension components!

ODO: 120xxx

Replaced the engine oil and oil filter at an FNG. Back to Liqui Moly (3701) 5W-40 Top Tec 4100 after having flushed the engine with one from STP

Back to Kochi now as my daughter has a couple of weeks of school offline.
I am thinking of getting a Roof box from Pentair if it doesn't adversely affect the handling/body roll!

:D @Waterscapes Resorts (Kumarakom)
My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-img_20220402_135530.jpg

Update: Roof box

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-img_20220402_135628_1.jpg

Got one installed on the Yeti. It's from Pentair. The dealer had all their models available in Kochi. This is their XL model (top end). Had tested the rest of the models before deciding on this. It gives you an additional 400L cargo space in a very thermodynamically good and aesthetically pleasing design. The small depressions at the mounting points mean the fitment is tight to the roof. I had the crossbars with me and nothing protrudes outwards.

I got the brand stickers removed and fixed the genuine Skoda lettering sourced from the EVM Skoda, Kochi. Needed the original in spite of being too expensive.

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-img_20220402_135649.jpg

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
- Bob Marley

Chasing the rains at Munnar!
My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-v61a14813.jpg

Yikes!

Not sure how it ended up there! Got it repaired at a roadside puncture service place. Have clocked around 400km and looks fine. Was a bit worried as it’s close to the sidewall!

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-mvimg_20220410_210721.jpg

The Yeti went for another mini-birding this morning! @ HMT area, Kochi

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-v61a2143-copy.jpg

I am getting Michelin Primacy 4 235/55/R17 mostly tomorrow for the Yeti. The Conti Sports have been exceptional and almost brand new. Highways, the best rubber so far - exceptional grip and handling. Given the Kerala roads deteriorating quite fast in the rains etc, I am looking for some more cushion and ground clearance, hence the change.

PS: The Continentals are available for a quick grab for now :)

Got the 235 55 R17 rubbers on the Yeti. Had two options:

1. MICHELIN 235/55 R17 Primacy 4 ST
2. Continental Conti Sport 235/55 R17

I have been a great fan of the exceptional grip and high-speed stability/handling that the Conti Sport variant earlier. In rains, the grip has been exceptional on water-covered Kerala roads. While the Michelin P4 would have given a slightly better ride comfort, always felt the Conti 'SPORT' variants are specifically designed for better high-speed performance and way better wet-braking! Both were priced similarly though (Rs.13000/tire).

It was done at DBS, Edappilly/Kochi and I would recommend them for their class-leading professionalism and workmanship:thumbs up

Had a Kochi-Munnar and was back in the rains. The extra cushion does help smoothen those road joints while the performance front remains exceptional. The 235s are way more silent than the earlier 245s too! Aesthetically looks better too with the wheel wells filled in nicely.

On a different note, came across some high-run Yet's on web. This one on Olx has clocked 271000 km and counting !! Wow

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-screenshot-20220520-4.49.36-pm.png