Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 17:14   #241
BHPian
 
manishk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 443
Thanked: 389 Times
Default Re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

Its a complete rip off by BMW to charge 40k for something that is already built into the car's system, but not activated by the company.

I had to get it done outside for my 2017 (Oct) 530D as BMW refused to activate it for me at that time. All it took was sending my vin no. to the vendor, who then checked and confirmed that it was possible to activate it on my car. He then sent me a small file on email which i had to download on a usb drive and then insert it into the front USB port of the car and within a few seconds it was activated.

The only setback is i can never update the car's software now as the fsc codes are deleted by the method i used.

Also, I doubt you need any additional wifi antenna installed as mine works flawlessly from anywhere within the car.

Sucks that I had to resort to such things after spending nearly 80 lacs on a 'luxury' car!
manishk123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 17:43   #242
BHPian
 
Speedshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

I can't wrap my head around the fact that BMW charged you 40k just to activate carplay. A humble Alto which costs less than 5 lakhs comes with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

May be I am a cheapskate as I can't seem to understand how everyone is okay paying this much for the activation of what is essentially a basic feature in modern cars, but I also don't own a luxury car and therefore maybe these things are beyond my comprehension
Speedshift is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 19:46   #243
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 6,807 Times
Default Re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Congratulations for CarPlay activation and thank you for the information.

Did you go for CarPlay mainly for Google maps? if yes, BMW's navigation is not good in India?
Thank you. Yes. I went for CarPlay mainly for Google Maps. BMW's navigation is not as good as Google maps in India. The integration is fantastic. But the selected routes are not as optimal and also last mile connectivity is not great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
On the other hand, Apple CarPlay was announced somewhere in 2013 and launched in 2014. I remember very vividly seeing BMW in the list of manufacturers that were supposed to get carplay at launch. And even in 2018, a GT shipped without carplay...

I could buy a NEW HEAD UNIT with CarPlay AND Android Auto!!! FOR 40k
Actually, only in India, BMW did not enable CarPlay. In other countries, they had CarPlay as subscription based service. Maybe they were considering options to make it a subscription based service here and that is why they were delaying this. True, new head units with AA and CarPlay can be bought even cheaper. But with BMW nothing comes cheap. A small price to pay for the joy the car gives while flooring the accelerator.


Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
The pricing (33803INR as per the invoice) seems a little bit on the expensive side for a release code (FSC - Freischaltcode). I am not sure if it classified as a CKD part or something, to add import/customs duty which might justify the increase in price.
This may be possible. Maybe this is also considered as some spare part (software component) and maybe some taxes are levied.


Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Its a complete rip off by BMW to charge 40k for something that is already built into the car's system, but not activated by the company.

I had to get it done outside for my 2017 (Oct) 530D as BMW refused to activate it for me at that time. All it took was sending my vin no. to the vendor, who then checked and confirmed that it was possible to activate it on my car. He then sent me a small file on email which i had to download on a usb drive and then insert it into the front USB port of the car and within a few seconds it was activated.

The only setback is i can never update the car's software now as the fsc codes are deleted by the method i used.

Also, I doubt you need any additional wifi antenna installed as mine works flawlessly from anywhere within the car.

Sucks that I had to resort to such things after spending nearly 80 lacs on a 'luxury' car!
Totally agree. It is really frustrating when the car has all the necessary hardware and BMW is not willing to activate the feature. Even I was thinking about getting the USB based activation. But then I read about a software update where BMW disabled the execution of scripts from USB port. I did not want the hassles of telling the service guys not to do any software update everytime I took the car for service. If by chance even after my telling them not to update, if some technician by mistake hooked the car to the server and performed an update, it could disable all other features like BMW navigation, bluetooth etc., and make the iDrive just a glorified media player. That would have been a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
A humble Alto which costs less than 5 lakhs comes with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

May be I am a cheapskate as I can't seem to understand how everyone is okay paying this much for the activation of what is essentially a basic feature in modern cars, but I also don't own a luxury car and therefore maybe these things are beyond my comprehension
Am I happy that I had to pay 40K to activate CarPlay that is available in even entry level cars today? No. Not at all.
Am I pissed off with BMW that they refused to activate the feature for almost two years and then they charged 40K? Yes. Very much.
Is my anger or frustration going to change the way BMW makes their polices? No. Definitely not.

Considering the above, and the fact that the car with the 250bhp engine and the 8 speed ZF gear box and M Sport suspensions is a hoot to drive, and the peace of mind it brings to have a 6 year warranty and a 6 year service package, I considered 40K a small price to pay
graaja is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 21:26   #244
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 27
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

40k that's a rip off but a small price to pay when you do not want to hang your phone in a phone stand along with charging cable.

I so can relate graaja with you, when I was buying my car and putting 50 big ones last year, one thing I said to me I can't hang it off with a stand I need AA in my case where I have a comfort of maps neatly integrated. So it was only the top model I had to go for and that was a premium wrt features offered but AA was thr ������.

I love the color of your car that was my first choice and if it was BMW it had to be Estoril Blue. X1M sport in Estoril blue was car I started with and ended up buying altogether a different one.

I also bought 5 year warranty +5yrs 100ks service package
Puneet0051 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 21:43   #245
BHPian
 
viXit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Hyd
Posts: 208
Thanked: 585 Times
Default Re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Actually, only in India, BMW did not enable CarPlay. In other countries, they had CarPlay as subscription based service. Maybe they were considering options to make it a subscription based service here and that is why they were delaying this. True, new head units with AA and CarPlay can be bought even cheaper. But with BMW nothing comes cheap. A small price to pay for the joy the car gives while flooring the accelerator.
Yes,

I'm sorry for my tone , I was just reading too many stories of luxury car owners being ripped off from morning.

The screen looks absolutely stunning with CarPlay, these guys make everything look so sexy. No wonder we lust upon them.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th October 2020 at 19:28. Reason: formatting
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 22:43   #246
BHPian
 
azeemhafiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 287
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

Congratulations on adding CarPlay to the car. It’s an absolute must have addition. A few months ago, my CarPlay was not functioning properly (I think it was down to a dot release of iOS by Apple), in that time I had to use the standard phone integration and I really realized the value of CarPlay. There is no turning back for me.

I agree with you, the inability to have “full screen” on CarPlay is frustrating. My favorite screen is the summary page, that provides map, turn navigation and the ability to skip forward current track or skip 30s in podcasts (invaluable when you have to get rid of ads).
azeemhafiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 02:30   #247
BHPian
 
carthick1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CJB-Driel
Posts: 73
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This may be possible. Maybe this is also considered as some spare part (software component) and maybe some taxes are levied.
Once again looking at your invoice revealed the HSN/SAC code specified as 87089900 which is the HSN code for the import of accessories/parts of a motor vehicle. This attracts 10% basic customs duty and 28%IGST and probably they used a very high value of EUR>INR conversion to come to ~33800INR
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:29   #248
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 6,807 Times
Default Re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

Rubbing Noise on Acceleration

Last week, noticed some rubbing noise coming from rear right side of the car on hard acceleration. The noise was as if something plastic was rubbing against metal or another plastic part. This noise occured only on hard acceleration like performing overtaking etc. On gradual acceleration or steady speeds the noise was not there. Called up Mr. Karthik the service manager and fixed an appointment for Saturday. Took the car on Saturday, and we went for a few kilometers of test drive. Mr. Karthik and a service engineer accompanied me. Within a few minutes they identified where the sound was coming from and we returned back.

They put the car on the lift and the service engineer inspected the drive shaft area and within a few minutes located the issue. The plastic clamp that holds the rear right hand-brake cable had broken and the cable was hanging loose. It was not resting on the drive shaft, but on acceleration, the G-Force would move it down and it would touch the shaft. There was also a small ring where the shaft was clean of dust. This matched with the broken clamp that was stuck to the cable.

As they did not have the clamp in stock, they have placed an order for the clamp and have temporarily fixed the cable using a cable tie. We then went for another test drive and the sound is gone.

The car on the lift.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-lift.jpg

A small video clip showing the loose cable.



The area on the shaft where the cable had rubbed.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-rubbing-area.jpg

The cable secured with a tie.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-secure-tie.jpg

Workshop Experience:

Was in and out of the workshop in 90 minutes. Very happy with the way the engineer located the problem and fixed it. Another 5 star experience at the dealership. The positive streak with the service support continues

A Much Needed Wash

The car was very dirty from the monsoons and had not been washed after the previous visit to the workshop. Took the car for a wash at a new outlet called NextGen.

The dirty car.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-dirty-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-dirty-2.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-dirty-3.jpg

Being washed.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-washing.jpg

As good as new after the wash.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-clean-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-clean-2.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-clean-3.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home-clean-4.jpg

Thats all folks, I have for now.

Next week, have a long drive to Shimoga with "Windows Down Motoring" team. Will post some pictures after the drive.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:52   #249
BHPian
 
dealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jaipur
Posts: 87
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Rubbing Noise on Acceleration

Last week, noticed some rubbing noise coming from rear right side of the car on hard acceleration. The noise was as if something plastic was rubbing against metal or another plastic part. This noise occured only on hard acceleration like performing overtaking etc. On gradual acceleration or steady speeds the noise was not there. Called up Mr. Karthik the service manager and fixed an appointment for Saturday. Took the car on Saturday, and we went for a few kilometers of test drive. Mr. Karthik and a service engineer accompanied me. Within a few minutes they identified where the sound was coming from and we returned back.
Hey graaja, this may be a big coincidence that the same issue popped up in my car just last week. Seems like you've been driving your car hard too :P . I performed the temporary fix myself using cable ties and would get the clamp changed later. Can you tell me what the part costs?
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 20:39   #250
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 6,807 Times
Default Re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Hey graaja, this may be a big coincidence that the same issue popped up in my car just last week. Seems like you've been driving your car hard too :P . I performed the temporary fix myself using cable ties and would get the clamp changed later. Can you tell me what the part costs?
Ha ha. Yes. The 30i engine begs to be driven hard

The SA mentioned that the part costs some 550 INR. I guess they will change this free of cost under warranty.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks