Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 17:14   #241
BHPian

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Its a complete rip off by BMW to charge 40k for something that is already built into the car's system, but not activated by the company.

I had to get it done outside for my 2017 (Oct) 530D as BMW refused to activate it for me at that time. All it took was sending my vin no. to the vendor, who then checked and confirmed that it was possible to activate it on my car. He then sent me a small file on email which i had to download on a usb drive and then insert it into the front USB port of the car and within a few seconds it was activated.

The only setback is i can never update the car's software now as the fsc codes are deleted by the method i used.

Also, I doubt you need any additional wifi antenna installed as mine works flawlessly from anywhere within the car.

Sucks that I had to resort to such things after spending nearly 80 lacs on a 'luxury' car!
manishk123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 17:43   #242
BHPian

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

I can't wrap my head around the fact that BMW charged you 40k just to activate carplay. A humble Alto which costs less than 5 lakhs comes with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

May be I am a cheapskate as I can't seem to understand how everyone is okay paying this much for the activation of what is essentially a basic feature in modern cars, but I also don't own a luxury car and therefore maybe these things are beyond my comprehension
Speedshift is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 19:46   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Congratulations for CarPlay activation and thank you for the information.

Did you go for CarPlay mainly for Google maps? if yes, BMW's navigation is not good in India?
Thank you. Yes. I went for CarPlay mainly for Google Maps. BMW's navigation is not as good as Google maps in India. The integration is fantastic. But the selected routes are not as optimal and also last mile connectivity is not great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
On the other hand, Apple CarPlay was announced somewhere in 2013 and launched in 2014. I remember very vividly seeing BMW in the list of manufacturers that were supposed to get carplay at launch. And even in 2018, a GT shipped without carplay...

I could buy a NEW HEAD UNIT with CarPlay AND Android Auto!!! FOR 40k
Actually, only in India, BMW did not enable CarPlay. In other countries, they had CarPlay as subscription based service. Maybe they were considering options to make it a subscription based service here and that is why they were delaying this. True, new head units with AA and CarPlay can be bought even cheaper. But with BMW nothing comes cheap. A small price to pay for the joy the car gives while flooring the accelerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
The pricing (33803INR as per the invoice) seems a little bit on the expensive side for a release code (FSC - Freischaltcode). I am not sure if it classified as a CKD part or something, to add import/customs duty which might justify the increase in price.
This may be possible. Maybe this is also considered as some spare part (software component) and maybe some taxes are levied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Its a complete rip off by BMW to charge 40k for something that is already built into the car's system, but not activated by the company.

I had to get it done outside for my 2017 (Oct) 530D as BMW refused to activate it for me at that time. All it took was sending my vin no. to the vendor, who then checked and confirmed that it was possible to activate it on my car. He then sent me a small file on email which i had to download on a usb drive and then insert it into the front USB port of the car and within a few seconds it was activated.

The only setback is i can never update the car's software now as the fsc codes are deleted by the method i used.

Also, I doubt you need any additional wifi antenna installed as mine works flawlessly from anywhere within the car.

Sucks that I had to resort to such things after spending nearly 80 lacs on a 'luxury' car!
Totally agree. It is really frustrating when the car has all the necessary hardware and BMW is not willing to activate the feature. Even I was thinking about getting the USB based activation. But then I read about a software update where BMW disabled the execution of scripts from USB port. I did not want the hassles of telling the service guys not to do any software update everytime I took the car for service. If by chance even after my telling them not to update, if some technician by mistake hooked the car to the server and performed an update, it could disable all other features like BMW navigation, bluetooth etc., and make the iDrive just a glorified media player. That would have been a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
A humble Alto which costs less than 5 lakhs comes with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

May be I am a cheapskate as I can't seem to understand how everyone is okay paying this much for the activation of what is essentially a basic feature in modern cars, but I also don't own a luxury car and therefore maybe these things are beyond my comprehension
Am I happy that I had to pay 40K to activate CarPlay that is available in even entry level cars today? No. Not at all.
Am I pissed off with BMW that they refused to activate the feature for almost two years and then they charged 40K? Yes. Very much.
Is my anger or frustration going to change the way BMW makes their polices? No. Definitely not.

Considering the above, and the fact that the car with the 250bhp engine and the 8 speed ZF gear box and M Sport suspensions is a hoot to drive, and the peace of mind it brings to have a 6 year warranty and a 6 year service package, I considered 40K a small price to pay
graaja is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 21:26   #244
BHPian

40k that's a rip off but a small price to pay when you do not want to hang your phone in a phone stand along with charging cable.

I so can relate graaja with you, when I was buying my car and putting 50 big ones last year, one thing I said to me I can't hang it off with a stand I need AA in my case where I have a comfort of maps neatly integrated. So it was only the top model I had to go for and that was a premium wrt features offered but AA was thr ������.

I love the color of your car that was my first choice and if it was BMW it had to be Estoril Blue. X1M sport in Estoril blue was car I started with and ended up buying altogether a different one.

I also bought 5 year warranty +5yrs 100ks service package
Puneet0051 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 21:43   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Actually, only in India, BMW did not enable CarPlay. In other countries, they had CarPlay as subscription based service. Maybe they were considering options to make it a subscription based service here and that is why they were delaying this. True, new head units with AA and CarPlay can be bought even cheaper. But with BMW nothing comes cheap. A small price to pay for the joy the car gives while flooring the accelerator.
Yes,

I'm sorry for my tone , I was just reading too many stories of luxury car owners being ripped off from morning.

The screen looks absolutely stunning with CarPlay, these guys make everything look so sexy. No wonder we lust upon them.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th October 2020 at 19:28. Reason: formatting
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 22:43   #246
BHPian

Congratulations on adding CarPlay to the car. It’s an absolute must have addition. A few months ago, my CarPlay was not functioning properly (I think it was down to a dot release of iOS by Apple), in that time I had to use the standard phone integration and I really realized the value of CarPlay. There is no turning back for me.

I agree with you, the inability to have “full screen” on CarPlay is frustrating. My favorite screen is the summary page, that provides map, turn navigation and the ability to skip forward current track or skip 30s in podcasts (invaluable when you have to get rid of ads).
azeemhafiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 02:30   #247
BHPian

Quote:
This may be possible. Maybe this is also considered as some spare part (software component) and maybe some taxes are levied.
Once again looking at your invoice revealed the HSN/SAC code specified as 87089900 which is the HSN code for the import of accessories/parts of a motor vehicle. This attracts 10% basic customs duty and 28%IGST and probably they used a very high value of EUR>INR conversion to come to ~33800INR
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:29   #248
Team-BHP Support

Rubbing Noise on Acceleration

Last week, noticed some rubbing noise coming from rear right side of the car on hard acceleration. The noise was as if something plastic was rubbing against metal or another plastic part. This noise occured only on hard acceleration like performing overtaking etc. On gradual acceleration or steady speeds the noise was not there. Called up Mr. Karthik the service manager and fixed an appointment for Saturday. Took the car on Saturday, and we went for a few kilometers of test drive. Mr. Karthik and a service engineer accompanied me. Within a few minutes they identified where the sound was coming from and we returned back.

They put the car on the lift and the service engineer inspected the drive shaft area and within a few minutes located the issue. The plastic clamp that holds the rear right hand-brake cable had broken and the cable was hanging loose. It was not resting on the drive shaft, but on acceleration, the G-Force would move it down and it would touch the shaft. There was also a small ring where the shaft was clean of dust. This matched with the broken clamp that was stuck to the cable.

As they did not have the clamp in stock, they have placed an order for the clamp and have temporarily fixed the cable using a cable tie. We then went for another test drive and the sound is gone.

The car on the lift.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-lift.jpg

A small video clip showing the loose cable.

The area on the shaft where the cable had rubbed.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-rubbing-area.jpg

The cable secured with a tie.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-secure-tie.jpg

Workshop Experience:

Was in and out of the workshop in 90 minutes. Very happy with the way the engineer located the problem and fixed it. Another 5 star experience at the dealership. The positive streak with the service support continues

A Much Needed Wash

The car was very dirty from the monsoons and had not been washed after the previous visit to the workshop. Took the car for a wash at a new outlet called NextGen.

The dirty car.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-dirty-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-dirty-2.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-dirty-3.jpg

Being washed.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-washing.jpg

As good as new after the wash.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-clean-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-clean-2.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-clean-3.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-clean-4.jpg

Thats all folks, I have for now.

Next week, have a long drive to Shimoga with "Windows Down Motoring" team. Will post some pictures after the drive.
graaja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:52   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Rubbing Noise on Acceleration

Last week, noticed some rubbing noise coming from rear right side of the car on hard acceleration. The noise was as if something plastic was rubbing against metal or another plastic part. This noise occured only on hard acceleration like performing overtaking etc. On gradual acceleration or steady speeds the noise was not there. Called up Mr. Karthik the service manager and fixed an appointment for Saturday. Took the car on Saturday, and we went for a few kilometers of test drive. Mr. Karthik and a service engineer accompanied me. Within a few minutes they identified where the sound was coming from and we returned back.
Hey graaja, this may be a big coincidence that the same issue popped up in my car just last week. Seems like you've been driving your car hard too :P . I performed the temporary fix myself using cable ties and would get the clamp changed later. Can you tell me what the part costs?
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 20:39   #250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Hey graaja, this may be a big coincidence that the same issue popped up in my car just last week. Seems like you've been driving your car hard too :P . I performed the temporary fix myself using cable ties and would get the clamp changed later. Can you tell me what the part costs?
Ha ha. Yes. The 30i engine begs to be driven hard

The SA mentioned that the part costs some 550 INR. I guess they will change this free of cost under warranty.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 19:46   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Next week, have a long drive to Shimoga with "Windows Down Motoring" team. Will post some pictures after the drive.
So yesterday evening, as I was driving down from Chennai to Palakkad, I was crossing the toll booth at Salem. I was in the Fastag lane next to the divider. I cross the barrier and I notice a blue 3GT with a cycle carrier on top, on the lane towards the Bangalore side!

What are the odds that this is Ganesh's 3GT?! I had his contact number saved on my phone so I ask Google to dial Ganesh Raja and I ask him, "Hi Ganesh, are you at the exit toll booth at Salem right now?" I can hear his wife in the background reply "Yes, yes we are at Salem!"

Hard to mistake this car with somebody else's! Will share the dashcam grab later. Safe travels and have fun Ganesh!

EDIT: Here's the dashcam grab:

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-untitled.png

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th October 2020 at 23:37.
Gannu_1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 09:17   #252
Team-BHP Support

A Drive to Shimoga

Last weekend, did a 1500km drive from Coimbatore to Shimoga. This was a drive organized by the "Windows Down Motoring" group and I have documented this drive in this travelogue (Holiges, a Coracle and a Banyan Tree - Weekend Drive to Shimoga).

Drove the GT in varying type of roads - 6 lane highways, beautifully winding ghat roads, slushy roads, and even some trails. The car performed brilliantly in all the roads and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. A few pictures of the GT and also of other cars from the drive.

Had to drive through some slushy road patch from the previous day's rains.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-slush-1.jpg
Picture courtesy: Dr_AD

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-slush-2.jpg
Picture courtesy: Nerd1200

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-muddy-wheels.jpg
The wheels and the side after driving through the slush.

The three Bimmers - The GT, RSUDARSANAN's 320d and Dr_AD's 320d
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-three-bimmers.jpg

A couple of pictures with the other steeds in the drive.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-convoy-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-convoy-2.jpg

A couple of solo pictures.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-solo-1.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-solo-2.jpg
Picture courtesy: Dr_AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What are the odds that this is Ganesh's 3GT?!...

Hard to mistake this car with somebody else's! Will share the dashcam grab later. Safe travels and have fun Ganesh!
Thanks a lot Ganesh. It was a pleasant surprise when I saw your call and when you mentioned you spotted me

Yes. We had an awesome drive and some fantastic experience during the drive.
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 08:53   #253
BHPian

graaja,

which roof rack, and bike carrier did you get?

I need one immediately too bro.

thanks,
Old 8th November 2020, 10:08   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucliomaniac View Post
graaja,

which roof rack, and bike carrier did you get?

I need one immediately too bro.

thanks,
Hello Nucliomaniac,

That is a Thule roof rack with the wingbar.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 19:32   #255

Quote:
BBS SR Alloys and Yokohama Advan Sport V105 installed:
Initial Impressions of Advan sport:
As I have driven only around 200km with the Advan Sport, it is too early to judge the tires. But they feel just as good as the Conti CSC5 RFTs that were in the car earlier. Tried a few tight corners and the cornering grip is excellent. The tires are very silent as well. But have read that they become noisy after 15k kilometers. The biggest surprise is I don't feel any big change in comfort levels going tubeless. As I have mentioned many times before, the CSC5 RFTs had a fantastic balance between comfort, sportiness and road noise. That is the reason I never thought about going tubeless. The biggest advantage of the Yokos is the cost. The rear tires of the CSC5 cost me 29k each last time I replaced them at 20K kilometers. The Yokos cost 15K per tire.
How has the tubeless been so far compared to the RFT? Also with the current square setup, is it mandatory to change alloys or was it due to issues with the alloys? Is there an option to use the space saver incase of emergency considering that you have a square 245/45/18. On a related note, have you tried wheel alignment outside BMW? If yes, do you think they were able to adjust toe, camber and caster. BMW service team advised against having it done outside since they'll not be able to adjust all three.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks