Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 08:00   #256
BHPian

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebinth View Post
Do you think they were able to adjust toe, camber and caster. BMW service team advised against having it done outside since they'll not be able to adjust all three.
The caster angle is not adjustable. BMWs have a forward (+ve) caster but, while you can get a reading during alignment, it is not adjustable.
Moontan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 21:44   #257
Team-BHP Support

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebinth View Post
How has the tubeless been so far compared to the RFT? Also with the current square setup, is it mandatory to change alloys or was it due to issues with the alloys? Is there an option to use the space saver incase of emergency considering that you have a square 245/45/18. On a related note, have you tried wheel alignment outside BMW? If yes, do you think they were able to adjust toe, camber and caster. BMW service team advised against having it done outside since they'll not be able to adjust all three.
The tubeless have been doing great so far. The tires are quite grippy and at the same time very comfortable. I changed the alloys as three of the OE alloys developed some bend. You can go for a 245 squared setup with the OE alloys as well.

Yes. I always do alignment outside. They adjusted toe and camber. As I have changed to M Sport suspensions, got them to use the M Sport lowered version in their database. With the lowered version, there is a slight negative camber for the rear wheels.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 15:07   #258

I did not find a better place to post this, since there is no official 3GT review post. I was looking into the entire BS4 (BSIV ?) vs BS6 fuel and BS4 engines running the newer "less lubricating" fuel which might cause long term damage.

Another gentleman by the name debuda on a thread right here on team-bhp (Why I think BS6 / BSVI diesel won't harm BS4 / BSIV engines) cleared most doubts that such an issue would never happen and going by the details he seems to know what he's talking about. But then something came across my mind when I recently took my GT for its first service. They are still selling the 3GT shadow edition, which happens to be a slightly modified (cosmetic) 3GT M Sport itself. And I am pretty sure BMW did not go for an entire engine overhaul to make it BS6 compliant just to clear the final stocks. I enquired with my sales guy as to how were they selling a BS4 engine now and he mentioned that the engine has not been altered since it was already BS6 compliant. So I looked through the BMW user manual and found this

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-bmw-manual-fuel.jpg

Notice the sticker on the right side under Diesel quality. It says that the engine is designed to run on BSIV or later. Heres what is actually written under the sticker. I got this from the BMW app

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_5bc80a1394f61.jpeg

10ppm or lower is basically the BS6 standard and I am guessing these being german engines had to be compliant with the much stricter European emission norms.

So here's are the possibilities I can think of from all of this.
  1. The BMW engines were always BS6 compliant but since there was no such standard present in India, BMW just registered them as BS4.
  2. Even though the engines were BS6 ready (can work with the fuel), they were tuned back for BS4 until now (worse emissions but better performance and efficiency) and now have been tuned for BS6.
  3. The petrol engines were always BS6 compliant but the diesels need AdBlue which was not added until now since it wasn't required.

The second and third point come to mind since the newer diesel engines do seem to have an AdBlue tank. If the engines were always compliant, they would never need it.

One thing I am pretty positive about is that these engines can definitely work with BS6 fuel without any harm, though they might not meet the emissions standards.

FYI, I am an expert in none of the above. I might be completely off in inferring something here. Feel free to correct me.
nadeem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 19:54   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
Notice the sticker on the right side under Diesel quality. It says that the engine is designed to run on BSIV or later. Heres what is actually written under the sticker. I got this from the BMW app

Attachment 2089776

10ppm or lower is basically the BS6 standard and I am guessing these being german engines had to be compliant with the much stricter European emission norms.
Thanks for sharing screenshot from BMW App. Even in my 2018 X1 20d BS4 manual, same sticker is present. I was intrigued what was mentioned there.

20d engines were EU6 compliant. In BS4 avatar they didn't have Ad-Blue hardware. In fuel cap you could see provision for it.

So it can be concluded BS4 20d engines are compatible with BS6 fuel and will have no adverse effect.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 18:06   #260

Hi @GRAAJA (Raja) - What a splendid detailed review.

I used to follow yours and Chetan’s post before I bought my Jetta AT IN 2014 and planning to upgrade now to a Bimmer. Was initially thinking of 530d/E class, but a lot of friends advised me to go the SUV route (as I am not selling my Jetta yet).

I have zeroed in on X5 but again lot of inputs to go the diesel route rather than petrol (40i). I had couple of questions to you and the team here on advice

1. What is your expert opinion or take on Diesel vs Petrol (on this category and size of vehicle)

2. Test drove both, have to admit the Torque on the diesel is addictive albeit it is slower to 100 than the petrol

3. I would pull the trigger on diesel but only one thing is confusing me. 40i comes with M badge and thus HUD whereas Diesel does not.

The question here is now that you have used HUD in your car the last couple of years, what is your take on HUD? Is it really useful. In your next car would your purchase be dependent on if the car has the HUD or not?
vikrishn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 21:10   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrishn View Post
The question here is now that you have used HUD in your car the last couple of years, what is your take on HUD? Is it really useful. In your next car would your purchase be dependent on if the car has the HUD or not?
TBH, the reason I went for the F30 328i without hesitation was the pretty amazing, projected HUD. It's feels like the readouts are at the end of the bonnet. Very spatial. Now that I've had CC and LIM display on it, I don't think I can 'downgrade' to a car without this type of HUD. And yes, I do use NAV on it all the time.
Moontan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 12:56   #262
BHPian

Quote:
I am also a fan of @Graaja. Bought the same 330iGT and then upgraded the suspension also to M. May not have done so if he had not shared his experience and that too so well.

In my 330iGT, the HUD does not integrate well with Apple Car Play. I don't know if the new X5 has one which integrates better or not. With Car Play, there is not much information available on HUD other than Speed. If I don't use Car Play then it does show phone calls, song information, route etc. But once I switch on Car Play, none of that appears. I like Car Play and don't want to switch it off.

Unless the new X5 has a better integrating HUD, this would not be a deciding factor for me.

Hope it helps. Best wishes to you.
aseemsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 16:31   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi @GRAAJA (Raja) - What a splendid detailed review.

I used to follow yours and Chetan’s post before I bought my Jetta AT IN 2014 and planning to upgrade now to a Bimmer. Was initially thinking of 530d/E class, but a lot of friends advised me to go the SUV route (as I am not selling my Jetta yet).

I have zeroed in on X5 but again lot of inputs to go the diesel route rather than petrol (40i). I had couple of questions to you and the team here on advice

1. What is your expert opinion or take on Diesel vs Petrol (on this category and size of vehicle)

2. Test drove both, have to admit the Torque on the diesel is addictive albeit it is slower to 100 than the petrol

3. I would pull the trigger on diesel but only one thing is confusing me. 40i comes with M badge and thus HUD whereas Diesel does not.

Apologies for the delay in responding. I was on my annual pilgrimage walk from 25th to 28th and was off grid.

My responses to your questions:
1 & 2. Personally, I like the high revving petrol than the diesel. The 40i engine with its 340bhp and 450Nm should be fun to drive. One advantage you would have with diesel is the long range on a tank of fuel. If you are fine with the lower FE and the lower range, I would suggest you to get the 40i.

3. I love the HUD. Though Apple CarPlay is not integrated with HUD, all other information like speed, cruise control, warnings (seatbelt, door open etc) are very convenient. Having said that, like aseemsood has mentioned, if you use CarPlay for navigation, calls and music, all these will be gone from the HUD. So, choose the model based on the performance of the engine instead of the HUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
I am also a fan of @Graaja. Bought the same 330iGT and then upgraded the suspension also to M. May not have done so if he had not shared his experience and that too so well.
Thank you for your kind words
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 18:44   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
opinion or take on Diesel vs Petrol (on this category and size of vehicle)
Go with the Diesel, get the side wheel arches painted in the body colour, maybe upgrade the alloys to a different design and you should be good. Having owned diesel X5 & petrol - a similar engine in 740, Diesel is a no brainer on the X5 given how quiet and efficient it is. I got a tank full at Ahmedabad and there was still around 60-70 Km range when I reached, I went inside the Udaipur too,

Quote:
40i comes with M badge and thus HUD whereas Diesel does not.
Correct, I do miss HUD on some of the cars that do not have this but it's not something which is a must. The touch screen idrive is super useful and you won't miss anything.

If you are not getting any Year-end deal, do wait for the 2021 model, I am expecting small changes like cooled seats. But this is not 100% sure as everything is based on kit allocations from HQ.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 22:32   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I would second lamborghini's suggestion to go for 245/45 tubeless all round. Advantages...
1) Comfier and quieter ride.
2) Lower cost
3) Long life from the tyres. Tubeless tyres tend to last longer than RFTs
4) Possibility of doing 4 tyre rotation at fixed intervals, extending life further

My X3's first set of Pirelli RFTs lasted only 25K kms. Thereafter I switched to Pirelli tubeless and love the feel of the car so much that I cannot imagine going back to RFTs. The tubeless Pirellis have done 22k kms so far and still look like they have almost 50% life left! I do a 4 tyre rotation every 7.5k kms.
Hi

I've just worn out my rears on my BMW330i M Sport (2019) and am considering going for Tubeless on all four perhaps as I have less that 2k on my fronts plus a small bubble.

Have been quoted very competitive rates foe Pirelli
255/40/18 Rear @ 21400 DOT is 2019
225/45/18 Front@ 18400 DOT is 2016
Concern is the 2016 date
Also offered
Goodyear Elfs set of 4 @ 76K

Alignment Balancing free from outside dealer not BMW

I tend to drive a bit harsh on the rumblers and tiny speed breakers and BMW service manager was kind enough to say with my Driving style go for Tubeless
Having read yours and Lambhorginis advise to Graaja and the thread on this wanted expert advise

Just wondering if this advise still stands or would you recommend another set of tyres and ride quality would remain decent or improved

I need to decide by Monday on the set that i want fitted

Am hoping that you being online perhaps Ill see a reply by then
BTW though I'm not a regular contributor
I'm an avid follower of the threads
PS: @Graaja & co read your travel Blog mighty impressed
Would appreciate a heads up on some driving adventures if ever we are able to when the Pandemic recedes
Old 10th January 2021, 06:29   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsi View Post
Have been quoted very competitive rates foe Pirelli
255/40/18 Rear @ 21400 DOT is 2019
225/45/18 Front@ 18400 DOT is 2016
Concern is the 2016 date
Also offered
Goodyear Elfs set of 4 @ 76K
A change from RFT to tubeless definitely makes a huge difference. My experience with the Yoko Advan V105 has been very good. They have the perfect balance between sportiness and comfort.

I wouldn't go with 2016 batch of tires. It is more than 4 years old and has lost a big part of it's life. Search for a later batch.

Also, consider changing to 245 profile square setup. The advantage of this setup is that you can do front/back tire rotation that will give you better life and even wear.

Quote:
PS: @Graaja & co read your travel Blog mighty impressed
Would appreciate a heads up on some driving adventures if ever we are able to when the Pandemic recedes
Thank you for the kind words. We do many drives from Bangalore. Would be great if you could join in any of these drives. Even I am looking forward to the next TBHP group drive after the pandemic subsides.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 16:20   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
A change from RFT to tubeless definitely makes a huge difference. My experience with the Yoko Advan V105 has been very good. They have the perfect balance between sportiness and comfort.
Thanks for your reply appreciated I'll enquire if the dealer has these.
How are they for Speed and Road Holding ? My Average speed is not below 120 Kmph +
Plus how do they handle mini Speed bumps my approach is not below 30
Quote:
I wouldn't go with 2016 batch of tires. It is more than 4 years old and has lost a big part of it's life. Search for a later batch.
Had my doubts Cheers Will see what can be done
So you do not suggest the Pirellis at all ?
If Yokos are not avail
How about another Make ?
Quote:
Also, consider changing to 245 profile square setup. The advantage of this setup is that you can do front/back tire rotation that will give you better life and even wear.
I take it you are saying don't do the staggered set up ?
Or in plain simple English it means a complete set of identical 4 tyres
Sorry not a tech spec expert
Mines not a GT its the saloon so suspension though M sport as yours Chassis I think differs?
Just a straightforward petrol head ! Thrill seeker now slowing down
Would not a same set of 4 affect the ride and handling
BTW I carry a 5th Alloy too in the boot don't like the Doughnut.
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. We do many drives from Bangalore. Would be great if you could join in any of these drives. Even I am looking forward to the next TBHP group drive after the pandemic subsides.
You are welcome actually
it's me thats thankful for your input
Am residing in Goa Look forward to a better 2021 Next time touch base
You can PM me and I'll exchange nos
I'm classified as a newbie as I do not make much contributions to the forum so I can't PM you
Thanks again
Old 10th January 2021, 17:13   #268
BHPian

Quote:
BBS SR Alloys and Yokohama Advan Sport V105 installed:
I Had not read this page in the thread.

So, apologies on some questions in my reply that are now repetitive. Only a point for clarity may need to be addressed.

My questions on the ride and handling are answered by this thread. The only query would be due to the change in profile, how does it handle the speed breakers? The original Bridgestone staggered set up really was wonderful at riding some mean ones.

Another concern would be the speed and the carelessness I conduct over some pot holes and not slowing down on unfinished roads. This resulted in a bubble in the tyre obviously.

But I am confident having checked the above thread and inputs of SanthoshBhat and Nikhil towards your decision. I'll go with your advice since you are really taking care of your car.

Just need to know about alternates in case the Yokos are not available at my preferred dealer.

Thanks Team-BHP. You've got some good Guru(s) and we novices get enlightened.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th January 2021 at 19:47. Reason: Language, sentence formation, spacing, punctuation
Old 10th January 2021, 18:16   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsi View Post
Only query would be due to the change in Profile how does it handle the Speed Breakers

The Original Bridgestone staggered set up really was wonderful at riding some mean ones
Other concern would be the speed and the carelessness i conduct over some pot holes and not slowing down on unfinished roads.
This resulted in a bubble in the tyre obviously.

@graaja Just need to know of alternates in case the Yokos are not avail at my preferred dealer.
I haven't had any serious issues with the slightly lower profile tires. I have maybe slightly scraped in a couple of really huge speed-breakers. Otherwise I have taken the car on really bad roads with huge potholes etc. and haven't had any issues.

Regarding speed, I think you will have to be careful with both RFTs and tubeless while taking big potholes. With RFTs, there is always the chance of the alloys getting damaged due to the stiffer side walls transferring all the force to the wheels, whereas tubeless will offer some cushioning thus giving a little more protection to the wheels.

In case Yokos are not available, check out Conti Sport Contact 5 tubeless. They have very good reviews. I had this option as well when I was looking for tires for my car. I went with Yokos as I already had experience with the Conti CSC5 RFTs and wanted to try something new.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 22:39   #270
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't had any serious issues with the slightly lower profile tires. I have maybe slightly scraped in a couple of really huge speed-breakers. Otherwise I have taken the car on really bad roads with huge potholes etc. and haven't had any issues.
I'll just have to change my driving style. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Regarding speed, I think you will have to be careful with both RFTs and tubeless while taking big potholes. With RFTs, there is always the chance of the alloys getting damaged due to the stiffer side walls transferring all the force to the wheels, whereas tubeless will offer some cushioning thus giving a little more protection to the wheels.
Well it's going to Tubeless for sure Moving away from RFTs by your experience, having seen your reply and that of @SantoshBhat

Quote:
In case Yokos are not available, check out Conti Sport Contact 5 tubeless. They have very good reviews. I had this option as well when I was looking for tires for my car. I went with Yokos as I already had experience with the Conti CSC5 RFTs and wanted to try something new.
Have asked for quotes for both the Yokos and Conti in a 245/45/18, square, set up on the factory fitted existing Alloys
I am not changing those as you have

Hope this is right AND WORKS for the Sedan too ( I don't have a GT)?

Would you in your opinion or knowledge suggest getting a quote for Pirelli's too In the office my colleagues have Pirellis on 1) Merc Glc 2) Range rover Discovery both averaged over 40,000 km on them they are biased towards this Marque obviously!.

Or are they not robust enough to handle the power of the 330i?

I've countered saying I'm relying on Distinguished - BHPian advise.

finally, a Thank you to you @graaja + @ TeamBHP for educating us novice enthusiasts and Steering us right ( no pun intended )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks