Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2018, 20:35   #1
BHPian

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus

Hello All,

Penning down my test drive, booking experience and Initial Ownership Review of Tata Nexon Diesel XZA+. Do note below are my opinions and not intended to offend current owners, so kindly take it as such.

Background :

After 5.5 Yrs & 87000 Kms with my Chevrolet Beat Diesel LS, I knew from sometime it was time to get a new ride. Also niggles had started to increase over the last 1 to 2 years. Couple of brake failures, replacement of rear shocks, and Brake Rotors, Turbo Charger in the last two years meant servicing costs has risen and the pathetic Chevrolet after sales added salt to injury.

All said and done, the car has not let me down in any big way and for the money it was a good option for driving it in city and on highways. Its underpowered engine was perfectly complimentary to my pedal to metal driving style, being my first car about 5.5 yrs back. It was a good all rounder with no real downsides except the weak top end of the engine..

Also, the interiors of my Beat were a much better sight Vs similarly priced cars. I realized this when I started looking at my options and felt the interiors of some popular cars a couple of segments above ( read Brezza ) could not match the Beat and that limited my options..

My Search

My Requirements were pretty clear and made my search objective, though not easy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/assemb...conundrum.html (My <10 lakh ex-showroom new car conundrum)

1. Diesel as my monthly running is ~ 1200 KM to 1500 KM. Ex Showroom price of Rs 10 Lakh max.

2. Enough Boot Space, and Rear seat space, elderly friendly.

3. Ability to handle bad roads.

4. Power on tap to accelerate quickly out of traffic.

5. Automatic, Cruise preferable.

6. Family insists on a 'Big' car.

7. Dependent on Finance (~ 75%) so new car is preferable..

8. Will be keeping the car for atleast 5 Yrs / 1 Lakh KM. So needs to age well with time

Of the above requirements, Automatic gearbox started out as a good to have, but the more I thought about it moved on to the necessary bucket. I drove almost 6K Kms in the Last three months and started feeling pain in my left knee after 300 Kms + journeys especially on bad village roads. Rather than going for knee replacement surgeries or the like, I felt it is better to invest money upfront in a decent vehicle with auto gear box

My on-paper list of cars is as below along with a rough per KM calculation.

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-list-car.png

Cars Truly Considered and Test Driven.

I made multiple long test drives for each car. Atleast 40 KMs + on bad and good roads both. With SA’s permission, I made sure to go over bad potholes and understood the limitations and plus points of the car before signing on the dotted line. I told SA’s to back off when they tried to pressurize me into buying saying you need to book or else the offer will be over , delays, price increases etc. etc. From my point of view it was a big investment, something that I will have to live with atleast for the next five years, so I had to get it right.

1. Hyundai Creta E+ Diesel.

Pros :

• Big vehicle feel, E+ was immense value for money for a car that sells at 18Lakh OTR.
• Engine was not underpowered and fairly tractable in city and open roads.
• Interiors though not exciting felt premium and built to last.
• Did not come with Stock Stereo. My plan was to invest in a decent touch HU with Android Auto.

Cons:

• Automatic was super expensive with the S variant costing 16.5 Lakhs On Road.

I get why the Hyundai Creta is priced so really high and still gets away with it. My Cousin was on the lookout to buy car costing around 20 Lakh with Auto Gearbox. We tried XUV 500 Auto. The quality inside does not hold a candle to the Creta in this department. These is really no alternative to the Creta if you want a Diesel Automatic around this price range. However the price was way out of my budget.

2. Honda Amaze CVT.

Pros :

• The Interior space and packaging is brilliant. 400+ Ltrs of Boot space and big car like interior space.
• Smart interiors. Well laid out dashboard.
• Nice CVT + Diesel combination. Very little lag and easy drivability with in City and open roads.
• Well priced to start with.

Cons:

• Ground clearance though decent not mini SUV like. At 170 mm it does not scrape much.
• Interior quality could have been designed better. Beige in the car cabin is very prone to getting soiled and the dashboard glove box cover was of very poor quality and design.

I was sold on the Amaze, however one of the downsides of it soft suspension meant that there was a lot of wallowing and vertical movement in the rear seat. Vetoed down due to this reason. Average interior quality withstanding, this is one practical car for City and high way use.

3.Maruti Vitara Brezza:

Pros :

• Exterior Looks really funky and attractive. Does not look like a sub 4M compact sedan from most angles.
• Maruti’s After sales, service network and resale value.
• Not as tinny a construction as rest of the vehicles from the same stable.

Cons:

• That’s one really ugly interior cabin. The choice of plastic design is really yuck, Maruti should fire its interior design team.
• I have not driven Maruti’s 1.3 MJD in it’s manual gear box. But Maruti’s engineer who paired it with the existing AMT I’m sure were deaf. It is that horrible.

The Brezza appealed to my brain not my heart. This was a sane option with high resale and Maruti brand backing but heart kept reminding me of the yuck interiors. During my test drive, I found engine is confused and pulls very poorly below 2000 RPM. Above 2K RPM pull is decent but the engine drone is unbearable and the RPM needle jumps to 4.5K RPM with in no time making it even more painful to hear. During the test drive, I felt Manual mode and closely controlling for RPM’s to be for 2000 to 2500 RPM made for saner drives. However, after paying close to 12 to 13 big ones on road in Bangalore, I was in no mood to forgive the horrible engine – gear box combo.

And Finally the winner

Tata Nexon :

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180624_171105.jpg

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180624_171149.jpg

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180624_171239.jpg

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180624_171331.jpg

To be frank, this was not in my consideration set at all. I saw a lot of gray / red Nexons with the really tacky white strip running around. That coupled with the apparently curvy front end with the ‘Humanity’ line made me see this as an overgrown Celerio.

That said, I was taking a lot of test drives and none of my pre-planned cars made sense to me. With recommendations from BHPians in the what car ? thread, I asked KHT Motors to bring Nexon to my home and with in 3 Hrs the SA was at my home on a Saturday afternoon (The showroom is a good 1 Hr away from my place). Instantly, I could find a world of difference this engine – gear box combo worked. The interiors looked too good for a car at this price point. Its not just about the quality, its more about the effort put in to make it much more premium, the tambourine door, 6inch floating touch screen system, switches, Seats, all looked fab. The only thing out of place was the steering.. Tata should have put in some effort to give a brand new flat bottom, more premium steering.

Overall

Pros:

• Really awesome Interiors. Felt I was driving a much more premium car. We spend a lot of time in the driver’s seat and this should be one of the very important considerations. My colleagues felt this is a 30 Lakh Car for Rs 13 Lakh money interms of Interiors.
• The 110 BHP, 260 NM Revo Torq Engine and AMT gear box combination. It is leagues better than the AMT + Diesel combination of Brezza.
• 100 Kms comes at 1900 RPM in 6th Gear, 120 KMPH comes in at 2400 RPM. Engine doesn't feel stressed at all. Higher speeds possible.
• Car feels solid at all speeds. Even at ridiculous speeds it feels planted and gives confidence to push this more.
• High Ground Clearance. You just don't worry at any sort of road as this will conquer all road conditions.
• Exterior Looks fab esp. in the Orange Grey Dual Tone Color. Head turner this..
• Nice touch HU with Android Auto, this is a boon coming from a single din music system in my Beat.
• Supportive seats with decent travel.
• Premium drive mode selector is not for show but is functional as well.
• Sport mode is WoW.. Though I couldn't push it past 3K RPM. I got a taste of whats on offer. I am not moving out of sports mode post run-in. Acceleration is very encouraging.
• City mode suffices for most city runs.
• The suspension is mature and just hard enough to give the comfort on long rides, while not wobbling at every small pot hole. Any pot hole big or small gets dismissed with ease.
• Handling is very good. Much better than what was expected of a 1.2 Ton, 210 mm GC vehicle. Remember this is not a low slung sedan but a high GC Hatchback on stilts and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cons :

• It’s a Tata. A few folks asked my why I spent a small fortune on a tata. Perceptions are not easily changed.
• The creep function is delayed by ½ second probably from the AMT clutch operation. Unless we use the hand brake, about ½ foot backwards movement is unavoidable on inclines. This is dangerous in office and malls multi level parking lots. However if you are willing to use the handbrake, this is a non-issue.
• Side Mirrors could have been bigger. Though they do the job, I miss the view from my beat.
• Rear view courtesy the small glass area is almost non existent. Other than some light coming in, its of absolutely no use at all.
• Eco mode is for hard core mileage fanatics. I tried this on the open expressway and car feels lifeless.. Engine is super quiet and refined though.

Booking Process :

• My SA Mr. Vinod from KHT was very accommodating and helpful in making my purchase.
• He let me take an extended test drive and kept me in the loop on vehicle availability. From my side I told him I will co-operate without delay and at the same time will not tolerate any delays from his end.
• I took the test drive on Saturday, Finalized the car same day, asked for availability. SA asked me for color and I had finalized Orange / Gray DT same day. He said if it booked it immediately, he will get it within 10 days. I knew typically that they build in some buffer, so I said I need it with in flat seven days. He agreed.
• I paid the booking amount on Sunday and learnt all documents needed to process the loan from Tata Motors Finance at 8.9% Int. rate. Told him that the documents will be ready by Monday and he can collect from office at RMZ Ecospace. The loan person delayed collection of documents by one day and loan wasn’t submitted for processing till Wednesday. I escalated this and loan approval was on the only hiccup in my purchase process courtesy SBI car loan from my previous purchase, For about 100 Rs outstanding, they never made attempt to recover money, returned my NEFT transfers and marked me as a defaulter and screwed my CIBIL Rating.
• SA told me the vehicle is in the stock yard on Wednesday and I visited the Stock yard same day. Vehicle was May 18 manufacture and all 4 wheels were newer than April 18.

Pics from KHT Stockyarn in Kundalahalli

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180613_151134.jpg
My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180613_151357.jpg
My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180613_152016.jpg

• Transferred the down payment on Thursday and reminded SA to hold his side of the promise.
• The Shubh muhurat was set for Sunday 6/17 and as Saturday was a holiday, the loan approval and RTO registration looked doubtful. After I escalated to the Showroom GM, He said he will do a temp registration and deliver the car post loan processing which got approved on Saturday.
• Thus 7 days post my test drive, I made way to the showroom with my family on Sunday with a box of sweets for showroom staff and a small gift for the SA to take delivery of my new ride.
• Took delivery, tanked her full from an adjacent petrol bunk and driven for about 400 KM in the first week.
• Been careful to run the car in City mode only and RPM not exceeding 2500 in most cases below 1000 KMs. Post 1000 switched to sports mode and must say its a lot more fun.

pics from delivery at KHT showroom, Kundalahalli and bringing home post puja

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180617_111917.jpg

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180617_114248.jpg

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180617_114356.jpg

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180617_151235.jpg

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180617_151243.jpg

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180624_171244.jpg

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180624_171310.jpg

Overall Coming to price / discounts.

Incl 2 Yr Extended warranty and Gold AMC, amount quoted was Rs 13.68 Lakhs on road Bangalore, which included 5K handling charge, 3.4 K basic accessories.

Tata had a anniversary where they gave insurance for Rs 5K. So that was a save of almost 42K on quoted insurance. I also negotiated to waive off the basic accessories price and handling charge + corp discount of Rs 3K.

About a day before the delivery, the SA called to tell me Tata does not have my employer enrolled as a corporate. I asked him to give me acccesories instead and got good looking sunvisors of about Rs 2800 free.. Asked to remove Gold AMC as most maintenance spend was kicking in the third year only.

Sunvisors Pic: Note it has a silver chrome lining that compliments the roof rails
My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180704_105246.jpg

So overall costed me about Rs 13.02 Lakh on road.

I had some concerns on the Goodyear excellence tires provided, but the exchange offered on them were very poor, so decided to live with this for about 30K Kms and change to Michelin Primacy 3 STs or some thing better. Tyre Pic below.

The Machine cut alloys also look good for the vehicle. Ideally a larger thin 5 spoke rim with low profile tyres would look great but given this is a wannabe SUV, Current Machine Cut Alloys with thick sidewalls also work..

Goodyear Excellence + Machine Cut Wheels
My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180624_171349.jpg

I got the 2 yr extended warranty given the unknown about Tata quality.

My Experience and Observations so far

• Drive till date : Its been 14 days, 1300 Kms with the new Tata Nexon. With 50 -50 split between City and Highways. My daily usage is ~40 Kms two ways with about 10 Kms in Dense traffic. Both City driving and Highway driving are thoroughly enjoyable. In the City mode, the car does not leap post releasing the brake, but takes about 0.5 Secs to respond. This is not necessarily bad as there are less chances of rear-ending some one in traffic.

• Build Quality : Overall build quality is confidence inspiring. Paint quality is good and fit and finish does not leave room for complaints. The interiors are a couple of segments above and bring a smile every time I enter the cabin. Everything looks neatly tied up and very few loose edges. As of now there are no rattles and overall very satisfied.

• Ergonomics : I prefer a laid back driving style and the lack of Telescopic steering means I have to extend my arms (I am 5'7). Other than this I feel lack of support for my upper back when seat is reclined. This may not necessarily be a car issue, but something I need to account for based on my driving style, a neck pillow may be.

• Would have liked a more cool to look at Steering. The steering looks plain Jane especially in this car. However that said, it is chunky enough to hold and weighs up nicely as speed progresses. However this is no Ford Figo Steering and the car being a compact suv with high ground clearance can only take so much monkeying around with steering inputs. I felt it is better not to push this to extreme around the corners and treat it with respect.

• Front Visibility is good. However A pillar creates blind spots. These are not severe and most modern cars anyway suffer from this incl my beat.

• There is a visible reflection of the dashboard on the front windshield. This is not a great hindrance, but is noticeable. My cheap polarized sunglasses I picked from Flipkart do the job of minimizing the reflection to a great extent.

• The ORVMs feel a tad smaller than I would have liked, however I have gotten used to this. The IRVM on the other hand can only be used to check if there is a vehicle right behind you. Otherwise it is pretty useless. The reversing camera with guidelines is a god sent.

ORVM Pic
My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180701_141341.jpg

• AC : AC is chiller. Even with Auto AC, I had to switch on and off as it got too cold here in Bangalore. Will be a boon in other hot places though.

• ICE / Touch HU : Harman audio system is Home theater quality. It is that good ! The touch HU and the neat buttons below give this interface a very premium feel. I have found the HU to be of decent quality and works intuitively most of the time. Only miss is the voice command assist. It understands basic commands like call, play music etc, but not complex commands like "play so and so album". The navigation on the high mounted floating dash is super cool and convenient.

• Looks / Design : The car is a looker. especially in the Orange / Gray Dual tone ( May be I have a selection bias here ). My residential complex has all range of cars starting from a humble Nano to Audis and 20 Lakh SUVs are common. I parked this on the street (Ref pics above) and it attracted a whole lot of eye balls. I feel the Nexon does not have the brand value of a Maruti so It can not be an instant hit, but as more people realize the value proposition on offer, they will be forced to consider this and hence this car feels like it is here to stay. I was also pleasantly surprised when a couple of strangers stopped in my Office parking lot and sought to understand how this car is. I suggested Creta AT if they have the budget, but they said its too expensive for what it offers.

• Engine / Drivability / Handling / Braking / Ride Quality :

• I have mostly driven on City & Sport mode. The car is fairly usable on both City and Highway. However the biggest grin is from the Sport mode. This is where I see a world of difference from the Brezza, The Engine + AMT Gear work was literally unusable in the city.

• The drive selector creates different driving experience, complimenting the engine. In the Eco Mode, the engine is sluggish and does the job but there are wait times involved . In the City mode, it gets a little more noisy and much more responsive. This is the default mode for most use cases. However, turn it to Sport and you see a distinct change. The engine get noisier (in a good way) and you see instant difference in response to throttle inputs. The pull from any speed to 120 /130 is progressive and gives a lot of confidence. This engine is way better compared to the MJD in the Brezza interms of pull and noise/ vibrations. The engine pull is very confidence inspiring and literally pulls like a train to illegal speeds.

• There is a distinct lull / drop of power at around 800 RPM in first gear. I have noticed this especially during climbing incline in my office parking lot. A momentary loss of power and then it comes back on. It is unnerving.

• No turbo lag noticed at any RPM, Engine has enough pull.

• Given this is an AMT, I had reservations around the usability especially after the Brezza TD. But, Happy to report that this is not a deal breaker at all, far from it. Shifts are not lightning quick but work well and intuitively in most cases. However I follow the rule of releasing the throttle a bit closer to the shift RPMs else the car keeps accelerating in the same gear, which is good for over takes.

• NVH levels are acceptable, The engine noise is muted to a fair bit, and road and wind noise are also not deal breakers. Only in sport mode does it get tad bit louder in the cabin in a good way.

• Braking pedal is soft but effective. Sheds weight relatively well for such a heavy vehicle.

Front Visibility : Taken on an empty road at very low speed
My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180701_141347.jpg

• Handling on the car is pretty good considering the ground clearance on offer and much better than some popular tall boy cars. At crawl speeds on steep inclines on muddy / gravel roads, the car looses traction a bit. The manual may be better here. However the jumbo sized wheels means there is good grip.

• However at non crawl speeds, the car is very solid when attacking minor curves and a pleasant surprise. Pushed it quite a bit during a recent 600 KMS+ Highway trip and it felt very composed and solid. During the last trip, crossed the 1000 Kms mile stone.

• Ride quality is also good. It is the right balance between Hard and Soft. I typically pump pressure 1 to 2 psi more than the rated pressure. at 32 Psi the drive is comfortable for my liking.

• Accessories / Enhancements : Overall the XzA+ is fully kitted and you will be left searching for what additions to make, however I found a few.

• Bought a cheap pair of 3D Mats from Amazon at around 900 Rs. These have velcro strips and sit on top of the existing showroom supplied fabric mats. Overall nothing exciting but should do the job to help get rid of dirt on floor easier. Pics below.

3D-Floor Mat from amazon
My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180704_105349.jpg

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180704_105317.jpg

• Bought a neck rest from Flipkart, as I had to 'reach' the steering and my upper back and neck felt strained. This helps for short journeys. For long journeys I am thinking of getting a travel neck pillow. Has anyone tried this. Any risks other than that of falling asleep ?

• Got the side visors for free from the showroom. these look super cool and I would recommend them very much.

• Bought a Jopasu Duster combo External + Internal from amazon for 1000 bucks. Need to see its efficiency. May not need it most of the time as a college going student does the work of cleaning some cars in our community early morning to support his studies. I have a 3M car wash shampoo and cloth that he uses to wipe (Not wash). My beat did pretty well with this maintenance and will be continuing with the arrangement.

Headlights / Night Vision :

• The low beam on the car is for slow driving only I felt the throw is too short. The high beam throw is average and helps to a good extent. Brightness also is fine. I have not needed to switch on the fog lights as yet given Bangalore's moderate weather.

Mileage :

• Mileage is a respectable 12 in the city before first service, should improve but not too bothered..

• During the last tank fill up, I got a mileage of 15.1 KMPL including some hard driving in sport mode on the highways (~70%) and city (~30%). AC Was on at all times.

Small yet Significant? things..

• The dashboard plastic looks good compared to Brezza, but is super flimsy. I tried installing an idol of Vinayaka which was slightly heavy, the plastic almost caved in. As a result now the Lord sits near speedo unit.

The idol sits near the speedo. Idol given by KHT
My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180701_175020.jpg

• Not sure if it is an AMT thing, but the area near the dead pedal does get warm even with AC on.. Can feel it on my legs even with Jeans on and when I touched it to check, its was not super hot but warm..

• The central console has small vents at the sides, which help run the USB / Aux cables to the arm rest storage area with out interfering with the gear level. Nice touch.

My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus-img_20180704_105355.jpg

• The HU colors changes depending on the drive mode. Blue for City mode and Red for sport. Nice touch.
• Stalks look and feel premium and are chunky to hold and operate

BottomLine

Nexon is the best diesel automatic high GC vehicle this side of 15 lakhs. Will continue to update this thread based on my experiences, but as of now no regrets which is a big thing for me . The only exception is Skoda Octavia, which makes me wonder if I could have got a used one cheap enough, but that's wishful thinking as reliability is important to me as well.

Last edited by charanreddy : 8th July 2018 at 20:14. Reason: Adding more details.
charanreddy is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 08:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 11:07   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus

Congrats on the new ride mate! One accessory which I'd suggest you is steering leather wrap. The lack of which is the perhaps the only major miss in this otherwise well loaded car.

P.S.- You might want to request the mods to change the title of your thread as it reads XMA plus and not XZA Plus. I remember reading your post in the 'I booked my car thread' and when I saw this thread, I thought that you downgraded to the XMA variant, i.e. until I saw the actual post.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 12:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Tata Nexon Diesel XZA Plus

Thanks for penning down your experience with the Nexon. I have a few questions as I am also thinking of Nexon.

1. Does it make sense to spend more on XZ+ or just stick to XZ variant in terms of value for money
2. Did you inquire about sunroof that is being offered for extra money? If yes does it have to be given when booking the Nexon?
3. How is the boot space, I currently own Grand i10, I am sure the Nexon will have a larger boot than i10. Can it accommodate a large suitcase (aboard travel)?
4. You mentioned that the car moves back 1/2 foot on an incline, does it not have hill hold feature?
5. At what speeds does it creep & crawl without accelerator input?
6. During your travels, incase anyone was sitting behind in the backseat, do they have any comments on the comfort level. I did a short TD and felt it was slightly more jerky maybe due to stiffer suspension.

Last edited by motomaverick : 12th July 2018 at 12:41.
motomaverick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 00:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Thanks for penning down your experience with the Nexon. I have a few questions as I am also thinking of Nexon.

1. I picked up the XZA+ as automatic was only available in top trim. I believe the lower variants are a lot of value for money as the look is similar in mid- variants as well. If automatic is not a requirement you can go for lower variants, but in the last 3 weeks, I have come to appreciate the practicality and convenience of the XZ+.

2. I did think about the sun roof, but liked the premium roof liner a lot and didnt want to disturb stock build quality. I believe you can get it done later as well.

3. Bootspace is 350 Lts and more than enough to swallow your airport luggage.

4. It does have hill hold, but not sure it works effectively. Handbrake is still the way to go with this car.

5. Only from stand still to about at max 5 KMPH, post that accelarator input is needed.

6. I have had a range of people, elderly, young, men, women, 2 people , 4 people etc etc in the back seat. No complaints so far.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 09:44   #6
BHPian

Heartiest Congratulations on getting the car. You have penned down every aspect of the car really well that is going to help many folks.

I have a recommendation, please find another place for the Ganesh Idol. Reason? If you ever have a frontal impact (I pray you never do), that idol is going to come flying straight in your face and might cause some serious injury.

Just a suggestion with all due respect to your sentiments. My dad is an automotive insurance surveyor who deals with accidents day in day out and he mentions that majority of the times, the injury to the passengers in case of accidents happens from stuff that was lying around or idols on the dashboard that hit them due to impact.

Have an awesome driving experience and keep this thread active with how the ownership experience turns out to be. People like you are going to help Tata turn around its image, ofcourse provided that the vehicle lives up to its expectations.
Dieselritzer is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 10:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
• Not sure if it is an AMT thing, but the area near the dead pedal does get warm even with AC on.. Can feel it on my legs even with Jeans on and when I touched it to check, its was not super hot but warm..
IIRC it's a design flaw that plagued many Indica Vistas manufactured before 2010. It's probably due to the heater core element and not the AMT system.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 13th July 2018 at 10:04.
petroguzzler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 14:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the car. This shade does look awesome. Wish you a lovely experience with this wonderful machine

Good to see the forum helped you make a decision which you appreciate now. I remember you were checking out i20 Active diesel, Creta, Amaze initially and weren't too keen on the Nexon. But the test drive did it for you. That shows how great a product this NEXON is. It earned a customer on its own merit.

Lot of people don't even consider a test drive due to TATA brand baggage. I believe the numbers will only increase in future as and when people realize the absolute value proposition this car has to offer. Do keep this thread updated on the experience(good or bad).

Last edited by SoumenD : 13th July 2018 at 14:24.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 16:57   #9
BHPian

Congrats, the Nexon looks gorgeous

When I and another bhpian Roms test drove the Nexon, we found that the rear seat egress was a issue. To get out it was difficult and awkward position. The wheel arch angle was coming in the way and due to the high GC, it felt awkward getting out. We felt senior citizens will surely face issues getting out from the rear seats. Would like to know from you did you or anyone faced this problem?

Also found both the front seats quite like touching each other

We had driven the manual Petrol and the ride was stiff and decent. Hats off to TATA to produce such a nice attractive car loaded with good modern package.

P.S. I see Ecosport is missing in your evaluated cars list but understandibly coz on no AT in Diesels. How foolish of them to miss this time? Idiots.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd November 2018 at 19:42. Reason: Smileys - 2 per post. Thanks.
rudrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 09:38   #10
BHPian

Good review.
One thing Tata should consider is reducing the ground clearance from 210 mm to 195 or 200 mm or so for better ride stability. High ground clearance while avoiding potholes, provides a greater risk in terms of toppling chances and reduced stability.
Even Suzuki is now reducing GC of vehicles like Swift and Dzire.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 13:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
IIRC it's a design flaw that plagued many Indica Vistas manufactured before 2010. It's probably due to the heater core element and not the AMT system.
Was there a solution found ? More insulation may be ?? It is not a down right pain but an inconvenience none the less..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
That shows how great a product this NEXON is. It earned a customer on its own merit.
Agree. The Nexon ticks the most boxes and at this point in time is the most sensible option. However brand baggage, perception are unfortunately very real even amongst educated folks.. I guess folks in general don't 'invest' as much time as us bhpians thinking about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Congrats, the Nexon looks gorgeous

When I and another bhpian Roms test drove the Nexon, we found that the rear seat egress was a issue. To get out it was difficult and awkward position. The wheel arch angle was coming in the way and due to the high GC, it felt awkward getting out. We felt senior citizens will surely face issues getting out from the rear seats. Would like to know from you did you or anyone faced this problem?

Also found both the front seats quite like touching each other

P.S. I see Ecosport is missing in your evaluated cars list but understandibly coz on no AT in Diesels. How foolish of them to miss this time? Idiots.
Yes, Ingress and egress are a bit of a hassle, but in a 5 or 6 hour journey, ingress / egress is like a total of at max 4 times. The alternative was super soft suspension of the amaze with lot of wallow and less ground clearance. So went for lesser of the evils.

I found the front seats ok..except for the hand brake. I believe the hand brake and drive selector should have been interchanged as we use hand brake more than the selector, but minor things..

Agree on ecosport, though the super hard suspension on eco sport was a dela breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Good review.
One thing Tata should consider is reducing the ground clearance from 210 mm to 195 or 200 mm or so for better ride stability. High ground clearance while avoiding potholes, provides a greater risk in terms of toppling chances and reduced stability.
Even Suzuki is now reducing GC of vehicles like Swift and Dzire.
Having driven the Nexon for about 1500 Kms now, I think only a real stupid steering input will make this topple. This car is sure footed on most curves.

Agree. GC 210 MM sounds a bit much esp for a compact SUV with out 4WD, so no real off-roading application as well. Don't necessarily agree with Swift / Dzire GC , would want peace of mind as our infrastructure both cities and villages is highly unstable..
charanreddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 00:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Was there a solution found ? More insulation may be ?? It is not a down right pain but an inconvenience none the less..
IIRC, my FNG had removed the heating element and the issue disappeared. However, the heating function was also not available as a result.
Old 15th July 2018, 21:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
IIRC, my FNG had removed the heating element and the issue disappeared. However, the heating function was also not available as a result.
OK.. thanks .. that is not an option as you never know when you will need it .hope there is some solution to this obvious design flaw..
Old 16th July 2018, 16:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
OK.. thanks .. that is not an option as you never know when you will need it .hope there is some solution to this obvious design flaw..
IMHO Thick insulation of good quality is a simple solution.
sanagg1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 16:26   #15
BHPian

Congrats on the new car.
Nexon is surely a great vehicle. I saw it a couple of months back when I was in the market for a small hatchback, and saw Nexon during my TD of Tiago at Tata dealer. One of the best looking Tata cars around, without any doubt.

Wish you many more happy miles ahead. Keep the thread update going.

Didn't understand the question and your answer on sunroof. Is it offered by Tata as factory made or by the dealer? I have always a few apprehensions of such things from dealer. Even for my Ciaz, dealer offered to give me Sunroof for a "nominal" price of 80k, which I refused.

Last edited by advaitlele : 18th July 2018 at 16:28.
advaitlele is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks