Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2019, 23:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
The delivery experience was one of a kind due to the fact that this was first JTP delivery in Pune! There was a cake cutting ceremony to enhance sweetness of the occasion.
You have masked the face of yourself and your wife in the photos. You want to maintain privacy, fair enough. But don't you feel the privacy of the sales folks too need to be maintained in the same manner? I suppose you have not taken their consent before posting their pics on a public forum. Please get the pics removed.
Jaguar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 11:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Sameer for this detailed Initial Ownership Report. I was eagerly waiting or this.

I was thinking about this Samuraisir's statement and I too thought that it's a bit farfetched.

Quote:
Basically, it brought out the inner racer in me. I drove like I hadn't since my younger days.
But then you too made the same statement.
Quote:
Driving JTP aggressively made me feel like a teenager. Given the beans, JTP is violent and loud.
These statements talk a lot about the character of this pocket rocket.

Quote:
No under-hood insulation. I don't think Tata was looking at reducing noise levels
Ok! we all love that diesel motor's clattering noise. However, I wanted to understand, hows the NVH level inside the cabin without under-hood insulation?
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 11:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
Can you please post a photo of the JTSV Authorised Service Centres from the Owners Manual?
Attaching the scan of relevant part from owner's manual.
JTSV_ASC_list.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am still refraining from TDing the car as I don't want to get smitten.
Do TD it once, it will certainly be a pleasant surprise and you may end up making crazy decisions!

Quote:
Is the JTP running on synthetic oil? And the service interval remains 10K kms?
The complete owner's manual is copy of Tiago so everything is same. Tiago, Nexon and JTP all use fully synthetic 5W30 ACEA A5/B5 spec oil. However, I feel JTP will need more care, since engine seems to run a bit hotter than Tiago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Like you, I am disappointed that the Figo S is only in diesel. But unlike you, I find driving my diesel Figo more convenient in bumper-to-bumper traffic. One just needs to keep the car in first gear and press or release the clutch--the car trudges along, without stalling.
Diesels are convenient indeed since one can ride the torque from much lower revs. However, I am pretty short at 5'4" so long-travel, stiff diesel gearbox clutches make me less than comfortable. I spotted quite a few Figos in past few days and kept telling wife that a Figo could very well have been in our garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
You must be enjoying the blow off valve sound which is very much addictive is what I’ve heard
That blow-off valve sound is best party trick that JTP has. Totally out of Fast and Furious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Can you please provide the OTR pricing details?
On-road price is 7.69 Lakh in Pune. Includes showroom insurance which is a bit high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
You have masked the face of yourself and your wife in the photos. You want to maintain privacy, fair enough. But don't you feel the privacy of the sales folks too need to be maintained in the same manner? I suppose you have not taken their consent before posting their pics on a public forum. Please get the pics removed.
Appreciate your concern and I share the same. The pics were not going to be posted till the very last moment. However, I did not want to miss opportunity to acknowledge the efforts of sales and dealership team. The pics are only meant to recognise genuinely passionate people. All the people in pic were informed before/post release of this thread and all are happy with the result.

As for me hiding my face, I am just too shy and consider posting my own pic a bit too much. Otherwise, I am a very common person. Please don't think I am anyone significant enough to hide my face in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Ok! we all love that diesel motor's clattering noise. However, I wanted to understand, hows the NVH level inside the cabin without under-hood insulation?
NVH inside will range from very good to very bad depending on where you come from. It is dramatically better than Tiago, but the clatter is very clearly audible in cabin. Vibrations however are very well controlled, so its only the noise part which makes its presence felt.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 28th January 2019 at 12:00.
ksameer1234 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 17:09   #49
BHPian

A passionate ownership take & buying experience of a car born out of passion from a perfect marriage ie JTSV

Though you had some cars in your contention but looks like your heart was already set largely on JTP

Tiago is already a looker in the segment & this is clearly a more meaner avtar of a already beautiful hatch; I am sure you will have more reasons to visit your garage often with her being parked there.

Enjoy cornering
yogeshsom29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 17:40   #50
BHPian

The best way to get to know a car is to drive it for an extended amount of time and over varied driving conditions. I was lucky then that I got to make full use of the Republic Day and put JTP through its paces, so early into the ownership. There is a lot of feedback which I have to share but while I pen down my thoughts, would like to leave a small teaser of:

700 kms in a day with 14 hours drive time..

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190126_223600_edit.jpg

..with the king of twisties!

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190126_080739_edit.jpg

Summary: JTP munches miles after miles with utmost ease and never breaks into sweat whether it be the serpentine roads or wide highways. I started at 4 AM on Saturday, did a fair bit of activities during the day and started back at 3 PM to reach home at 10:30 PM while still being fresh enough to make through an ultra-productive Sunday!
ksameer1234 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 21:19   #51
BHPian

17.5 kmpl? That would be awesome for a hot hatch. I know Nexon is too optimistic when reporting mileage but how about this car? So where did you go?
Old 29th January 2019, 16:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post

A little correction. Tiago JTP is a petrol.
puneeth2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 10:16   #53
BHPian

Congrats on the acquisition! Probably, the first ever JTP in team-bhp clique. I got to drive the same yesterday, via Malayalam Ford, Cochin. The car really surges ahead when needed and is a cracker to drive in traffic under heavy inputs. Atlhough the drive was limited, got only until 3rd gear and hopefully will experience its corner craving capabilities next time.

Btw, how do you feel about the vibrations inside the cabin.? My rear passenger too had his take on the same.

Attaching a few snaps from yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-48aef499c9f04935970d798eee455746.jpeg  

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-0d1f1f15944146858a4180419ef650cd.jpeg  

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-7168f886cbd24facb6c90410c59bc2de.jpeg  

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-be903e7f51e24e2ea093e5d8e02e2001.jpeg  

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-f7be982cdc6e4187bd91ddb24028cc5b.jpeg  

E = mc² is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 20:10   #54
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the JTP, and a great review – enjoyed reading it.

Kudos to Tata on delivering a no-frills affordable hot hatch. Drive safe and do keep updating the thread regularly!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 09:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
PS: If possible get us a video as well - with the noises from that turbo, the exhaust etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
That was the first thing I wanted to do. I even woke up at 4 AM to get to a long tunnel nearby. But road noise and wind noise made it difficult to capture anything. If I have to describe it in words, the roar from exhaust in a tunnel is simply unbelievable. And it is accompanied by turbo whistle and intake noise making it a proper symphony!
I guess that is fair! Loud enough to make one smile in person, but subtle enough to be missed by the usual recorders. And that is how it should be! It is a fine line. Else, it might drive you nuts on long drives or on specific days when you are not in the mood for it.

I guess it will take something specific like a GoPro stuck in the most suitable places to capture these godly noises.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 09:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I guess it will take something specific like a GoPro stuck in the most suitable places to capture these godly noises.
Have worked with Sameer to shoot exhaust video few days back with a borrowed GoPro; will share it in this thread soon.
sukiwa is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 10:13   #57
Senior - BHPian

I was shocked to find no JTSV dealer in trivandrum or kochi, only in TCR.
Then i found out that the TVM dealer in tata has shut down, and there is a dealer in kochi, but Tata thinks for some reason that kochi is in Tamil Nadu
Old 1st February 2019, 10:41   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc² View Post
Congrats on the acquisition! Probably, the first ever JTP in team-bhp clique. I got to drive the same yesterday, via Malayalam Ford, Cochin. The car really surges ahead when needed and is a cracker to drive in traffic under heavy inputs. Atlhough the drive was limited, got only until 3rd gear and hopefully will experience its corner craving capabilities next time.

Btw, how do you feel about the vibrations inside the cabin.? My rear passenger too had his take on the same.

Attaching a few snaps from yesterday.
I could see a Harrier parked next to the JTP. Have you explored that too?? If yes, kindly share your experience may be in the Harrier thread.
Old 1st February 2019, 15:23   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I was shocked to find no JTSV dealer in trivandrum or kochi, only in TCR.
Then i found out that the TVM dealer in tata has shut down, and there is a dealer in kochi, but Tata thinks for some reason that kochi is in Tamil Nadu
Trivandrum hasn’t yet got one. Cochin has two of them - Concorde and Malayalam. I’d suggest Malayalam Tata at Vytilla rather than Concorde. Those guys were more Courteous and arranged me a TD without any previous booking in just 15 mins. The sales executive who accompanied me had enough know-hows of the car even though he wasn’t the one who was supposed to join the TD, as the dedicated JTP team there wasn’t around at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I could see a Harrier parked next to the JTP. Have you explored that too?? If yes, kindly share your experience may be in the Harrier thread.
Unfortunately, no. Harrier was too busy doing TD rounds for customers who previously booked it. Going by people’s interest over the vehicle, the sales number isn’t going to shy anything away from how the market welcomed the Compass.
E = mc² is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 16:41   #60
BHPian

Ever since the JTP took its prime spot in the garage, I had had a strong itch to take the car out for a long drive. The opportunity presented itself on the Republic Day weekend.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190126_181248_edit.jpg

The Plan
Original plan was go to Parli (home to one of 12 Jyotirling and 350 kms away from Pune) on Saturday, stay overnight and return back on Sunday. However, I felt adventurous and suggested wife that we start early in the morning and return back the same day. While she felt this might be a bit too tiring, the convenience of being at home on Sunday prevailed.

Next, the challenge was to decide the route. I was aware that Pune-Latur route was not in great shape post Tembhurni/Yedshi. Further, Latur-Parli route was a mystery. Hence, decided to take Pune-Ahmednagar-Beed-Parli route.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-route.jpg

While in hindsight, this turned out to be a great decision, I had a specific reason for selecting this route. Given the plan was to start at 4 AM and return back by around 10 PM, I wanted to drive in dark conditions on roads I knew. Having done Pune-Aurangabad countless times, I was confident doing this stretch in dark hence the preference.

The Drive
Helped by a good night’s sleep, we drove out at 4:15 AM. Living with KTM which does duty very rarely, I have developed a habit of maintaining about 25% fuel in tank and topping up fully at the start of ride so as to start with fresh fuel in tank. Same habit kicked in and I was at Shell pump in Mundhwa at 4:45 AM.

Hitting the highway, first thing which struck me was the supreme cruising ability. Maintaining 90-100 kph is no problem at all. JTP seems to be at ease here and a gentle input to throttle is enough for any overtake. Compact dimensions and the mid-range surge of power makes it a highly potent tool.

However, now that I was keeping highway speeds, the issue with headlights’ adequacy manifested. I can’t imagine who decided that the high and low beams' alignment was fine. Both beams are never useful together. No amount of fidgeting with headlight level control works. When low beam is right, high beam points to the sky and when high beam is right, low beam shines no further than a few feet. I have lived with this same issue in Zest so either the problem is common with Tata cars or may be it is just me. Any which way, this is difficult to live with, if maintaining highway speeds at night.

Out on highway though, the suspension setup really shines. While other small cars and even few sedans were visibly bouncing around due to undulations, stiffer springs on JTP made things a breeze. There was not a single instance of car exhibiting bounciness and this led to wife’s observation that the ride quality on highways is totally unlike a hatchback. While the ride quality suffers at crawling speeds on bad roads, up the pace and car manages to glide over broken patches of roads. The suspension, thus, played an important role in reducing the fatigue and helped ensure I was fresh even after spending 14 hours driving.

Post Ahmednagar, highway made way for single carriageway twisty road, which to our utter surprise were very well-paved. Take well-paved twisty road, put a fast hatchback with stiff suspension on it and take away all the traffic. What you get is loads and loads of fun!

Driving through these ghat roads, I had so much fun while making most of the opportunity to sample sharp steering and controlled body roll. But try being adventurous and lack of bolstering in seats becomes evident. It’s not that there is no bolstering but high amount of grip and reduced body roll means it is much easier to throw the car around corners and seats then appear a weak link.

As for the fuel efficiency, MID showed 17.5 kpl at the end of 700 kms. I had tanked up at Parli (lucky to have found a Reliance pump there) on the way back and tank to tank calculations gave 16.5 kpl (for the onward journey). This included nearly all sorts of driving conditions plus crazy traffic in Ahmednagar and Pune during return. I am being greedy here but a Tiago would probably have returned 19-20 kpl for same journey so JTP is down by about 3-4 kpl from Tiago.

It is important to spend extended amount of time behind steering wheel to understand any car and I was lucky to have got this opportunity so early in the ownership. If I have to summarize, Tiago JTP offers all the practicality of a hatchback without showing weakness normally associated with a small car.

Special mention of turbo whistle and blow-off valve noise

I had read about the blow-off valve noise in JTPs but did not get a chance to experience it, simply because engine noise is loud enough to douse everything else. During this drive then, I finally had my Eureka moment! I was doing around 80 kph in 5th gear and gently pressed the throttle. First there was a very mild hiss and lifting off gave out the woosh!

Excited like a child having just learnt how to blow bubble-gum, I spent the next 10 minutes spooling up the turbo and lifting off. After trying many permutations, I finally found revving up from around 1700 rpm to 2500 rpm in fifth gear as the best spot to hear the turbo spooling up and then the blow off valve in action. If engine noise was better controlled, this would have sounded so much sweeter. Nevertheless, this is a nice party trick that JTP has up its sleeve!

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190126_181454_edit.jpg

P.S: An issue which I faced a lot was the lack of respect hatchbacks get on the highway. Please don’t be misled by my garage, I am a fairly sedate driver and prefer driving peacefully away from fast lane. However, impatience from other cars who would flash their beams incessantly expecting me to give way got on my nerves more than once and I activated Sport mode, dropped a gear and let things loose. The lights in rear-view mirrors started dimming away pretty fast and were nowhere to be seen few seconds later. I don’t think people expect a Tiago to be sprinting around on highway so I’ll probably have to get used to this.
ksameer1234 is offline   (26) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks