Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2019, 21:08   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
That apart, it seems like the car has a mind of its own when it comes to squeaks and rattles. On some days, there is pin drop silence inside and then on other days, seats will squeak and dashboard will rattle to no end. There is no reproducibility to this and it thoroughly depends on what mood the car is in. I had actually planned to report this during service but felt confident that 10 rattles would be induced while fixing one so gave it a miss.
Well, I also face the same issue. But i have observed that these seldom rattles depends upon outside temperature. If outside temperature is warm and hot then there is pin drop silence in the car. If it is cold, early morning or at night then it will rattle a bit.

Last edited by manson : 27th March 2020 at 10:31. Reason: Typo and trimmed quote.
tushky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 22:58   #107
BANNED

A brilliant ownership review Sameer.
The last update was in August, so now I guess you must have been done with the third servicing by now. Any updates?

Also came across this post of yours in another thread. Is everything good with the Tiago, and with Tata ASC?

Quote:
I was in same position like you last year, even though I had an even lower budget of 8 lakh. I wanted a petrol+manual gearbox+enthusiast combo. I finally bought tiago JTP after running behind an old-gen Figo S diesel briefly. If I had to make same decision today, I would have waited few months for GT TSI with 6-speed manual to compare with JTP, watched JTP fade into oblivion in front of my eyes, sucked-up and paid premium for GT TSI. I feel new GT TSI will retail for around 9 lakh ex-showroom which would bring it within your budget.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 11:41   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
The last update was in August, so now I guess you must have been done with the third servicing by now. Any updates?
I admit I have been way too lazy to post updates. Partly this is due to the fact that ownership experience has been boring in the sense that car functions the way it is expected to do. Another reason why I kept delaying posting any update was the demise of JTP brand. I am pretty certain there won't be any JTP now so was not very sure if my experience would be much useful.

That being said, I have done about 16,000 kms now and done with third service (first annual service) couple of months ago. I got Amsoil Signature 5w30 poured which cost more than twice of what Tata service center would have charged for the oil. However, I don't really see any perceptible difference due to the oil change!

The car continues to be as fun it was on day 1, though I can now confirm a couple of observations. Engine NVH has reduced progressively and it sounds far better when revved. I am not sure if I should attribute this improvement to Amsoil because oil change anyways makes things better even with cheapest of oils. On the other hand, tyres have become significantly noisy. I had intended to change them at 30k kms mark and was expecting that to be early 2021 but times are extremely uncertain now.

I had another worry that gearshifts may become mushy over time like they did in our Zest. I am happy it hasn't been the case and shift quality is same as day 1. This isn't slick-shifting gearbox but good enough with no issues.

Speaking of unremarkable topics, minor squeaks and rattles come an go as per their wish. It just depends of how the car feels, sometimes it will be pin-drop silent, other times it will be an orchestra. I guess most of these can be fixed by service center but I have little confidence in them not making matters worse.

Finally about the fuel efficiency because Tiago is essentially a car on budget. My cumulative efficiency over 16k kms has been 14 kpl with best figures of 17 kpl and worst of 11 kpl, all full tank-to-tank calculations. However, if one wants to feel like a big car owner, driving aggressively can drop the efficiency to 7-8 kpl. May be it can go even lower but I don't have a heart to test that.

Quote:
Is everything good with the Tiago, and with Tata ASC?
Tiago is absolutely fine though I can't say same of ASC. Three services, three different centers, all equally incompetent. Getting a Tata car serviced is absolutely forgetful experience. I have about an year now to ponder upon where to take my car for second annual service but I am more certain than not, it won't be a Tata center.

The other regret (if one can say so) I have with this purchase vis-a-vis something like GT TSI and Abarth Punto (Abarth flash sale was happening while I got JTP so it was theoretically an option then) is about the ecosystem. While sky is the limit for safely and reliably modding those cars, the best I can do for JTP is add go-fast stickers. There was lot of potential in the JTP idea with Jayem being best placed to offer performance parts and building a brand but it's all a thing of past now. Nevertheless, the car has stayed true to it promise of being a fun fast compact car for me and serves its purpose of being capable on highway and city alike.

We JTP owners from Mumbai and Pune met couple of months ago for sumptuous lunch and everybody bashed Tata to heart's content! Yet, all of us agreed that JTP is one rare car for those who want something more out of a car than going from point A to B without having to break bank.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20191123_14301.jpg
ksameer1234 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:21   #109
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update. Happy to see that the car continues to deliver on it's promise.

Quote:

The other regret (if one can say so) I have with this purchase vis-a-vis something like GT TSI and Abarth Punto (Abarth flash sale was happening while I got JTP so it was theoretically an option then) is about the ecosystem. While sky is the limit for safely and reliably modding those cars, the best I can do for JTP is add go-fast stickers. There was lot of potential in the JTP idea with Jayem being best placed to offer performance parts and building a brand but it's all a thing of past now. Nevertheless, the car has stayed true to it promise of being a fun fast compact car for me and serves its purpose of being capable on highway and city alike.
Though JTP has folded up, Jayem is still around so should be able to facilitate potential modifications on the performance front if approached. The know how will still be there rt?

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 16:00   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Though JTP has folded up, Jayem is still around so should be able to facilitate potential modifications on the performance front if approached. The know how will still be there rt?
Though this option exists, I wonder about the practicality. AFAIK, Jayem don't have any B2C operations. There are a few owners from Coimbatore so if they get in touch with someone kind and Jayem agrees to do some mods, then nothing like it.

That said, I talked with JTSV marketing head when I had newly got the car and they wanted to organise an event at Coimbatore when 100 owners were up. I guess such endeavors need deep pockets and strong commitment, something which Tata could not muster.

A courageous attempt from Tata Motors saw slowest ever growth in car sales, stringent safety standards, BS6 transition, highest ever petrol prices, insurance cost hike, shift to EV and now the pandemic; all within 2 years of inception. There was no way JTP cars would survive such heaps of misfortune.
ksameer1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:17   #111

Quote:
Though this option exists, I wonder about the practicality. AFAIK, Jayem don't have any B2C operations. There are a few owners from Coimbatore so if they get in touch with someone kind and Jayem agrees to do some mods, then nothing like it.

That said, I talked with JTSV marketing head when I had newly got the car and they wanted to organise an event at Coimbatore when 100 owners were up. I guess such endeavors need deep pockets and strong commitment, something which Tata could not muster.

A courageous attempt from Tata Motors saw slowest ever growth in car sales, stringent safety standards, BS6 transition, highest ever petrol prices, insurance cost hike, shift to EV and now the pandemic; all within 2 years of inception. There was no way JTP cars would survive such heaps of misfortune.
I am from coimbatore. I own tiago JTP. Once , I got a chance to speak to a JTP employee, he said Jayem might nod their heads for future mods but might be expensive. As you said they are not mostly into B2C.

Quote:
I admit I have been way too lazy to post updates. Partly this is due to the fact that ownership experience has been boring in the sense that car functions the way it is expected to do. Another reason why I kept delaying posting any update was the demise of JTP brand. I am pretty certain there won't be any JTP now so was not very sure if my experience would be much useful.
I have AC problems in my JTP. I have changed my AC Filter 9 months ago. When checked in the service centre, all looks good. Yesterday, when I went out for work, AC temperature was turned to cold but AC air was normal. Have you faced this problem yet?

Last edited by bblost : 3rd June 2020 at 14:37. Reason: back to back
Abi_1403 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 02:28   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi_1403 View Post
I have AC problems in my JTP. I have changed my AC Filter 9 months ago. When checked in the service centre, all looks good. Yesterday, when I went out for work, AC temperature was turned to cold but AC air was normal. Have you faced this problem yet?
Get the condenser checked. If it's dirty the problem you have faced, occurs.

Condenser Blocked/Broken. A broken condenser is another genuine cause for which your car AC may not work properly. It's that particular unit in your car that keeps the refrigerant cool and then flows through the blower by converting the hot air into cool air.

https://gomechanic.in/blog/car-ac-not-cooling/
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 12:11   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi_1403 View Post
I am from coimbatore. I own tiago JTP. Once , I got a chance to speak to a JTP employee, he said Jayem might nod their heads for future mods but might be expensive. As you said they are not mostly into B2C.
Nice to hear from owners, especially from the birthplace of JTP! If you spoke to Jayem side of JTP, I am glad they have some interest in offering mods. However, if it was Tata side of JTP, I would take it with buckets of salt. JTP employees confirmed launch of accessories (some owners even saw the price list) only for the company to fold.

Honestly, I don't mind paying a premium for some OEM mods, in fact I doubt many JTP owners would mind it given we all have paid a premium for these cars.

Quote:
I haven't faced any issues with cooling which is actually pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
Get the condenser checked. If it's dirty the problem you have faced, occurs.
Either this or leaking gas due to bad plumbing or rat infestation could be the reason.
Old 23rd August 2020, 21:31   #114

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2020 at 08:25.
Marwan KT is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed