Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 18:22   #1
BHPian

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up

JTSV Tiago JTP: Amazing anti-aging treatment on four wheels

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9578_edit_2.jpg

Review summary

What I like:
  • Poweerrrrr! And the fact that such a compact car has so much power. The power delivery is very addictive past 3000 rpm.
  • The ease with which power is delivered. The car remains planted and surefooted under acceleration and at speeds as well.
  • Additional power makes it so much better on highways and sparse traffic. Overtakes don’t need planning and neither do they need dropping two gears.
  • Doesn’t sacrifice practicality in the quest of outright performance. Driven sedately, it will work perfectly as a daily driver.
  • Absolute bang for buck. For the premium over regular Tiago, JTP gets a lot in terms of equipment, tuning, customisation and features.
  • Tata and JTSV have stayed level headed while making JTP visually different than Tiago. The difference is subtle and functional.
  • Did I mention that this little car makes a lot of power?
What I didn’t like:
  • Fuelling is very jerky at crawling speeds. City mode and very gentle throttle input prevents jerks but snatchy behaviour is still noticeable.
  • Tata cars are always known for their supple ride quality and JTP will feature right at the bottom of list.
  • While refinement and NVH is definitely better than Tiago, it is worse than everything else.
  • While the car punches above weight in performance terms, the fact that it is based on budget hatchback shows in the hard cabin plastics and other cost cutting measures.
Tiago JTP’s official Team-BHP review is really a special one in the way it passionately describes the experience of driving JTP twins. This thread is not intended to be a standalone review of Tiago JTP but only to add personal experience of ownership. Everything upto the Initial Impressions section is boring read and context setting exercise. For those interested in further reading about my adventures, please feel free to scroll below for the detailed read. Others may kindly jump to initial impressions.
Prologue and the Shortlist
From Launch till the Day of Delivery
Initial Impressions: Exterior Design
Initial Impressions: Interior Design
Initial Impressions: Driving Experience
Small but Significant Details
Conclusions

Last edited by Aditya : 25th January 2019 at 10:05. Reason: Corrected hyperlinks as requested; Correcting index
ksameer1234 is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:34   #2
BHPian

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage!

Prologue

The ball was set rolling when JTP twins were announced during Auto Expo 2018. I had always liked Tiago and the power/torque figures from JTP were amazing for a small hatchback. Seeing Tiago JTP during the Expo and going through released spec sheet was what started my daydreaming!
Fast forward countless scoops/leaks and closer to the launch of JTP, I started my groundwork; of getting approval from the home minister! To be honest, I didn’t really need a car. With proliferation of Ola/Uber, cars are simply not needed in city. Lack of parking spaces further makes a case against cars. However, what swung the decision in favour was a bit of thoughtful discussion I had with wife. While the car may not be needed today and necessity might only arise when the family grows, we may not have enough time or inclination at hand then to make use of car. We do some mild touring on RC390 but there are limitations; both practical and those due to the bike itself. The idea was to have a car and fulfil travelling ambitions where a bike falls short.

The Shortlist

Tiago JTP made it to my shortlist the moment it was announced. I was looking at hatchbacks around 8L on-road so there were few contenders. Also, the car-buying decision was more aspirational than need-driven, hence the shortlist was a bit unique.

Fiat Abarth Punto
Of course it never fit my budget but this true hot hatch deserves to be at the top of any enthusiast’s wish list. However, for all the amazing performance figures, I could not get myself to accept the car as complete package. And since this was going to be our first car, I looked for practicality along with performance hence Abarth never moved past my dreams.
P.S: Flash sale for Abarth Punto started shortly after I went all in for Tiago JTP. The prices at which Abarth Punto are retailing warrant a rethink on my above statement. Answer, I would have still gone with JTP even though Abarth Punto is superior.

Volkswagen Polo GT TSI
Another car topping every enthusiast’s wish list. Again this was way out of my budget. Further, the autobox was something I didn’t really need. Now I have read (and briefly experienced) how wonderful DSG is but there are horror stories in equal measure. I am someone who likes to keep vehicles with me till practically possible. As a reference, my parents’ garage and mine collectively has a 15 year old M800, a 13 year old Activa and 10 year old Discover. Obviously then, our first car was going to be a keeper. This further made me apprehensive of even leaning towards TSI.
A note on above two cars: To be honest, if I had 11 lakh to spend on a car, I would have gone ahead with either of them. But then, there was no way I could breach my budget hence had to drop the plan.

Baleno RS
I went through the specs, read Team-BHP review and also saw a few videos for Baleno RS, purely from academic perspective. I think the only positive about Baleno RS is presence of all four disc brakes. Modest power for the price and nothing much to speak of in terms of ride and handling setup meant RS was quickly struck off the list.

Ford Figo / Figo S
Now this was the only car that I seriously evaluated, to the extent that I walked into the showroom to test-drive one. Simply put, Figo pulls all the right strings in heart for me. However, the only Figo worth buying is diesel and this was an issue. The clutch action for diesel cars makes them a pain to live with in the city and wife is not a big fan of diesel cars. Also, with no daily running needs and the prospective car being a keeper, diesel option was not favoured.

Tigor JTP
I believe Tigor JTP is an extremely practical package. It gets all the power and has big boot and comfortable rear seat as bonus. Depending on how much does one need a boot, the additional 1 Lakh over Tiago JTP may or may not appear VFM proposition. To me though, Tigor appears a compromise in design compared to the well-proportioned Tiago. Also, budgetary constraints meant that Tigor JTP was out of reach as well.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 24th January 2019 at 15:27.
ksameer1234 is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:47   #3
BHPian

The Launch and ensuing confusion
While JTP rumours were filtering in, I had mentally prepared myself for Tiago JTP being priced about a lakh above Tiago. Launch of cars in October and price announcements helped me firm up my decision. To be honest, the thought initially was to test-drive JTP along with other candidates to decide if it was worth stretching the budget. However, incessant delays in JTP reaching the dealerships put a spanner in those plans.

With every passing day without any news on when test-drive cars would arrive, my desperation was only increasing. To the extent that I walked into Ford showroom which was half a km away from Tata showroom just because Tata had absolutely no information on when JTP cars were expected to reach showroom. Brief discussion with advisor there and he shared a price of Figo S which was higher than better specced Freestyle. I made him an offer and told that he was racing against time since my offer was open only till I don’t get positive news on JTP. In the end, my Figo S offer was never accepted and that was that.

The Godsend moment
The month of December was one of the most frustrating one for me. Every Saturday, I would religiously call up all three JTP assigned showrooms in Pune only to be told that they have no visibility on availability. With my frustration seeing no end, I resorted to replying to Tata Motors’ tweets on JTP. It was two months since launch and there was no information with anyone. Honestly, I had no expectation of getting any reply to those tweets apart from canned replies to send direct message with more details.

Then something special happened. I got a call from someone who claimed that he handled Tata Motors’ social media and saw my tweet. In a flash, I was put on priority list and got to book the first Tiago JTP to be delivered in Pune. I later searched for the person I had spoken to only to find out that he was heading the commercials at JTSV!

From the booking onwards, I thought the rest of journey up to delivery would be pretty smooth. Alas! It was not to be. The car was received alright at the stockyard and complete payment was also made. Next step was to pay the road tax, get the RTO inspection completed and I could ride my JTP gloriously into the sunset! However, there was one problem. This isn’t Tata Tiago JTP but JTSV Tiago JTP and there was no manufacturer named JTSV registered with RTO against with the car could be registered. Finally, impatience got better of me and I decided to take delivery on 12 January.

The D-day!
Since the whole experience till now had been a roller coaster ride, it was apt that the delivery experience would be no different. What was supposed to be a 30 min affair stretched to almost three hours. To start with, I got a call from Gaurav Sharma from JTSV Commercials team that he wanted to be present during delivery to audit the process and ensure that all PDI procedures are followed. To his credit, he informed me that it will take him some time to reach and that I also start from home accordingly. However, me being my excited self, reached showroom well in advance and killed time doing my favourite pastime activity, ogling at the beautiful Tata cars!

The car was washed, detailed and delivery bay was cleared for special delivery of the day. There was red carpet, JTP banner and the car stood covered waiting to be unveiled.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190112_161602_edit.jpg

The delivery experience was one of a kind due to the fact that this was first JTP delivery in Pune! There was a cake cutting ceremony to enhance sweetness of the occasion.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-delivery_1.jpg

This was followed by unveiling of the car and was accompanied by many photo sessions.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-delivery_2.jpg

I had gone armed with Team-BHP PDI checklist and had even rehearsed it while waiting. However, Gaurav ensured that the checklist was never needed. He did a far thorough PDI while I was busy clicking pictures. During this PDI, he noticed that JTP branded floor mats were missing. In their place were regular Tiago mats. What ensued then was 10 minutes of him trying out all possible options of getting the mat procured. I was informed of this and I was okay getting these mats at a later date. This incident cemented my faith in the JTSV team and showed how seriously they are taking this venture.

The enthusiasm from JTSV team deserves a special mention here. The sales team is as excited selling the car as the customer buying one. The passion was visible during delivery and it made the moment all the more special. Having a separate entity different from parent company makes all the difference here. If JTP cars were sold through regular Tata channels, the sales and delivery teams would have taken them to be one among several Tata cars. However, JTPs are only cars that JTSV sell and they recognise that anyone opting for them is passionate about the cars.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 24th January 2019 at 15:36.
ksameer1234 is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:06   #4
BHPian

Exterior Design
While there are opinions that JTP exterior could have been more differentiated from Tiago, I personally find it classy and aggressive without being tacky. Red shade with black roof/mirrors looks smashing. I find the treatment at front especially interesting since slight tweak to the bumper has actually changed the stance, making it aggresive when viewed head-on.

Losing all the chrome from grill has helped the front appear decidedly sportier. Also, the air-dam is large in order to accommodate the intercooler. While Tiago front looks warm and cheerful, there is a subtle hint of meanness that JTP demonstrates.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9567_edit.jpg

Also, blacked out headlamp units help increase the overall style quotient. The functional benefit is significant improvement in illumination at night. Another worthy addition here is the rear fog lamp. I was pleased to see this since Tiago never came with rear fog lamp. However, the happiness was shortlived. (More on that later)
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9577_edit.jpg

The side profile is majorly unchanged, which is actually good. The only addition here are side skirts which lend a sporty look. I am glad the design team didn't fall for the lure of pasting unnecessary stickers.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9621_edit.jpg

Further differentiation for JTP is achieved by making the roof as well as rear spoiler black (unique to Tiago at JTP launch but now available in XZ+ variant as well). This goes well with the red colour scheme.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9626_edit.jpg

Speaking of changes, there are a few cosmetic and functional ones at the rear. The rear bumper now comes with a black diffuser (albeit fake) which adds to the sportiness and some fake vents above that help accentuate the character.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9564_edit.jpg

What’s not fake however is the sporty twin barrel exhaust that’s particularly meaty and helps in creating an exhaust note befitting intentions of the ride. The exhaust tips are finished in brushed aluminium look instead of shiny chrome. I am sure this was done intentionally and looks much better. A chrome tip would have looked gaudy.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9573_edit.jpg

Continuing with functional mods and moving to the front, there is a hood vent which actually serves purpose. Again, finished in black, it creates a visually distinguishing feature while also helping take out hot air from the engine bay.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9581_edit.jpg

There are similar vents along sides as well which also feature JTP badging.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9579_edit.jpg

The gorgeous alloys deserve special mention here which are the only part finished in shiny metal. Honestly, I don’t mind that one bit since they look amazing!
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9568_edit.jpg

JTP comes shod with 185x60 R15 tyres which are Apollo Alnac make with 84T rating. I gave a lot of thought on upsizing them to 195 section and going for Michelins, only to drop it later. Reason being that I am not someone who will push the car to its limits and don’t think these tyres are particularly bad. In the end, I decided to stick with what JTP thought was right and saved money which I never had, having run dry of Vitamin M after paying for the car!

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 24th January 2019 at 15:42.
ksameer1234 is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 16:27   #5
BHPian

Interior Design
The interiors in JTP are mostly identical to Tiago. Differentiation is created by use of black as choice of colour for everything (more on this later) and liberal use of JTP badging. The infotainment system gets upgraded with a touchscreen unit found in Zest / Hexa / erstwhile Tigor. Also notice the piano black finish and bright red accents around AC vents breaking the monotony of black.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9589_edit.jpg

There is prominent JTP badging on seats along with contrasting red stitching. The seats offer slightly more bolstering than Tiago.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9586_edit.jpg

The biggest draw however has to be leather wrapped steering wheel. Tiago steering wheel was anyways compact and addition of leather wrapping has made it meaty to hold. This treatment really makes it a joy to be in the driving seat. Don't miss the premium looking instrument cluster finished in black. The binnacles have chrome rings and even get JTP logos inside.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9599_edit.jpg

The red stitching looks classy and fit and finish is superb.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9591_edit.jpg

Keeping true to the sporty intentions, pedals get some slick aluminium treatment. Personally, I find the pedal feel better than Tiago, I guess these pedals play some role in that. Do note that the floor mats are from Tiago instead of JTP branded ones which have red borders. These have already been dispatched to the showroom and I need to get them fitted.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9597_edit.jpg

The fact that JTP is designed by hard-core enthusiasts reflects in the choice of interior colours. I can imagine some enthusiast designers getting laughed at by bosses for suggesting black interiors for Tiago. Getting free reign with JTP, these designers went berserk and painted everything black on the inside. Everything is so black that I half-expected cabin light to also be black! Personally, while I don’t mind black, at least the roof liner could have been grey (a shade darker than Tiago).
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9611_edit.jpg

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 24th January 2019 at 16:36.
ksameer1234 is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:12   #6
BHPian

The Driving Experience
At the heart of matter is 1.2 liter turbocharged engine that has been tuned to generate 114ps @ 5000 rpm and 150NM @ 2000-4000 rpm. Mechanically, the engine is same as the one found in Nexon but JTSV team have tuned it to extract a bit more power and made it a lot more fun to drive.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9605_edit.jpg

My first experience driving the JTP was post-delivery. Now since delivery experience was such excitement filled, I decided to stay calm behind the wheels and not try anything adventurous. While driving from showroom to home, the revs were below 2500 rpm, I was working the gearbox and everything was normal. So normal that JTP didn’t feel much different than a Tiago. Yes, it pulled slightly better but that was it. After that first drive, I reached home a bit underwhelmed, expecting fireworks but only getting some warmth.
The second drive then happened and this time, I decided to not restrict myself to 2500 rpm. In 3rd gear, at 30 kph, I gave the car some beans. Revs crossed 3000 rpm and what followed was pure unadulterated fun. JTP has some serious top-end power and the journey to red-line actually offers rewards other than coarse noise from engine.
This spirited drive then led me to a few observations:
  • My left land can divorce the gear lever – With Tiago, I could hardly take my hand off gear lever, such was the need to work gears to stay in usable power band. JTP, in contrast, pulls cleanly from 30 kph to 100 kph in 3rd gear eliminating the need to shift gear when in moving traffic. I love the freight train like in-gear pull that diesel cars offer and JTP comes pretty close to that.
  • NVH is better than Tiago – I know this comparison has little value since Tiago would probably feature among bottom of the pile while comparing NVH levels. Regardless, I was pleasantly surprised with this. That being said, NVH levels in JTP will qualify as crude at best, with only saving grace of leather wrapped steering wheel isolating them from palms.
  • Fueling is extremely snatchy and jerky – This is a problem. How big? Depends on the driver and conditions. Engine tuning is such that even a slight tap on throttle causes the car to lunge forward. Lift the leg off throttle pedal and there is aggressive engine braking. The net result is crazy head bobbing unless driver is feather light on the throttle. Luckily though, this issue is amplified only in Sport mode and a partial solution is to stay in city mode. Now, the city mode isn’t perfectly smooth but jerkiness is controlled to quite an extent.
  • Steering is sharp and responsive – Again, I am only comparing with Tiago and the steering is slightly sharper. In comparison to other manufacturers, I like the way Tata tune their steering. They are precise and light at slow speeds warranting little effort. At high speed though, it could have done with little more weight.
  • Suspension is firm – The suspension is noticeably firm than Tiago but not significantly. Body roll however is nicely controlled. The bounciness which Tiago exhibits is gone now. I guess suspension and better tyres both have a role to play here. On the ride front this has to be stiffest riding Tata badged car, a trait rarely associated with Tata.
Driving JTP aggressively made me feel like a teenager. Given the beans, JTP is violent and loud. There is no suave mannerism of Europeans or refinement of Japanese but this is an unforgettable experience in itself. Just to clarify, the car is perfectly fine when driven sedately. Drive between 1500 -2500 rpm, keep shifting gears and one won’t feel significantly different than a regular Tiago. Of course, drive with a feather-light foot and don’t give sudden inputs to make the ride comfortable for everyone. Or hold the gears, go pedal to metal and scare the wits out of passengers!

Drawing brief comparison with KTM 390s, those bikes can make a sane adult take stupid decisions out on road, like a teenager. Why so? Because they instill a confidence in rider that he can power out of any situation, worst of them by simply dropping a gear. JTP, with its compact form, stiffer suspension and power on tap manage to do something similar.

I had read the official review and thought that the below expression was bit farfetched:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Basically, it brought out the inner racer in me. I drove like I hadn't since my younger days.
Well, I can now testify to that. I don’t redline cars. Heck, I don’t redline my RC390 often. With JTP though, I just don’t want to shift gears, staying as close to redline as possible! Revving out JTP isn’t like slicing butter with hot knife, but it is so enticing that I just don’t want to stop doing that.

Feedback from wife: Wife is not a fan of Tata and she finds Tiago owned by her mom convenient, but nothing exciting. No surprise then, that she did not have a lot of expectations from JTP. However, a 30 km drive changed all that. The biggest thumbs up she gave was for the superior in-gear acceleration and dallops of mid-range power allowing to stay in same gear far longer than Tiago. All these positive initial impressions were for city mode. With Sport mode, she was grinning from ear to ear being able to effortlessly complete overtakes without worrying about downshifting or upshifting. At the end of that brief drive, she was positively happy about the purchase decision and was actually looking forward to the next drive.
It then confirms that JTP manages to bring more Joy apart from the already proven more Torque and more Power!

Fuel Economy
So what if it has a JTP suffix, this is a Tiago! It will be foolish to buy JTP with fuel efficiency as top priority but there is no way I can afford to maintain a car with single digit fuel efficiency figures. Thankfully, JTP is kind enough. When driven like a Tiago, fuel efficiency akin to a Tiago is on offer. Of course, petrol prices being what they are today, there is a lot of temptation to floor the pedal and efficiency figures nose-dive then. After about 140 kms, MID shows 14 kpl. This is post-delivery and 100% driven by me and wife. For the distance which has included either spirited driving or bumper to bumper traffic with little relaxed driving, I will happily take these figures.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9661_edit.jpg

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 24th January 2019 at 15:55.
ksameer1234 is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:43   #7
BHPian

Small but Significant Details

VIN
Remember me harping on the fact that this is JTSV Tiago JTP? Well, take a look at the VIN number and chassis plate.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9610_edit.jpg

VIN is not in Tata Motors format and is something like MDxxxxxJKxxxxxM, x being digits. My guess is that J and K in middle represent year and month which when decoded gives October 2018. The plate mentions "Manufactured by JTSV" and not Tata Motors. Implications, extreme delay in registering the car since RTO does not know any manufacturer named JTSV.

Service Centers
JTPs can only be serviced at what are called JT Special Vehicles Authorised Service Centers. There are only 40 of them across 11 states. The list of authorised service centers is actually slightly more that dealers who are selling JTP cars (35 across 11 states).

Owner’s Manual
While the owner’s manual may be just another mandatory document to be delivered with the car, JTSV guys have gone ahead and designed the cover page in a stunning fashion. That the cover page of owner's manual indicates car doing burnouts speaks volumes about the intentions of manufacturer.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190119_111332_edit.jpg

Instrument cluster
JTP twins continue to get what Tiago/Tigor/Nexon have lost at the altar of cost-cutting; detailed instrument cluster with temperature gauge and instantaneous fuel economy display. I don’t think lack of this will be deal-breaker for many but I was very particular about this, especially because 4-year old Zest at home has it. Thankfully, I was lucky. However, I wonder how long this will be available given that Tiago/Tigor/Nexon don’t get detailed MID in any variant now.

6.5J wheels and undersized tyres
The car comes shod with 185 section tyres on 6.5J wheels. Simple web search indicates that 195 section tyres are better suited for 6.5 inch wide wheels. Looking at the wheels, they do look a bit undertyred.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9571_edit.jpg

Rear fog lamp fiasco
JTP cars come with rear fog lamp but the lamp connector is not connected to anything. Effectively, there exists a fog lamp but there is no way to turn it on. More details on this issue here (link (Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?)).

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 24th January 2019 at 16:17.
ksameer1234 is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:46   #8
BHPian

Conclusions

The decision to go for JTP was purely an emotional one. While I didn’t need a car, convenience of having one at home pushed me towards it. To that end, a regular Tiago would have met all my needs. But since the decision was to be made from heart, I wanted to buy a car which could pull me towards it even parked in the garage. Tiago would have been just another car but JTP definitely isn’t. With JTP, I get a nicely packaged car and 1L extra is what spend for thrills. In my personal opinion, the extra cost is a bargain for the kind of thrill on offer.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_9617_edit.jpg

Tiago JTP is a youthful expression of what can be achieved when enthusiasts work with passion. Execution is classy without being gaudy. The best part is that this passion is not limited to just making the car but also translates into the sales experience. JTSV clearly knows that every buyer for JTP is an enthusiast and they match the enthusiasm in equal measure. While the car features Tata logo, JTSV team is all new and this is their first car, something which shows in their outlook. The car itself is amazing in the sense it has performance to match the noise. Bigger tyres, better suspension and sharper steering all help create a big car feeling when driving.

There are two ways to look at Tiago JTP, one in isolation and the other as a premium version of Tiago. Seen in isolation, Tiago JTP manages to hold its fort in terms of performance. Further, due to the attention from JTSV team, this is a well-rounded performance car with suspension, steering and tyres all getting some treatment. That being said, there are certain shortcomings in terms of refinement and lack of power at lower rpms. For someone looking at performance, there are hotter hatchbacks beating JTP in terms of outright performance. Anyone gunning for hottest hatch in town will probably give JTP a miss.

However, when seen as an upgrade from Tiago, JTP offers terrific value. Tiago was always competitive in city and in JTP avatar, it is good for highway runs as well. There is a certain level of maturity on display in terms of ride and handling. On top of that, it manages to put a smile whenever given the beans.

To conclude, Tiago JTP isn’t the best nor favourite hot hatch in India, not my words but votes from bhpians indicate that (link (Your favourite hot hatch in India?)). Frankly speaking, I agree. Comparing spec sheets, GT TSI and Abarth are better is some parameters or the other. However, JTP certainly has more drama than both of them. When it goes fast, it doesn’t mask speed, it lets you know that but prod it from there and it keeps going. It reminds you visually and aurally of its sporty intentions. JTP on boil is a complete act, a theatrical performance. It will be some time till I grow out of JTP and yearn for something else. Till then, JTP will continue to make every ride full of fun and tug my heart. For this reason, JTP is my choice because the whole is greater than sum of its parts.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 24th January 2019 at 16:09.
ksameer1234 is offline   (111) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 08:08   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on buying one of the best enthusiast cars on sale today! Your car looks fantastic in red. You've turned a lot of us green with envy, dude . Nice garage too - one JTP, the other an RC390.

Hope you're planning a fun highway drive this Republic Day weekend. Wish you many years of pleasurable ownership!
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 08:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow ! The Tiago JTP .. CONGRATS, Sameer ! I will be following this thread

One small question - did you try the Tigor during the buying process ? I have not driven either, but from the outside the Tigor seems to make a little more sense (the higher price apart) - both for storage and possibly better ride between the two ?
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 08:37   #11
Team-BHP Support

What a nice budget dream garage - Tiago JTP and KTM RC390.

Congratulations and wishing you many happy miles of ownership. How do you select which key to grab every day - KTM or JTP?

PS: Was really amazed to read the feedback from your better half. So that means the lag must be well controlled and enjoyable. Nice indeed.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 08:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on getting the Tiago JTP home. Red color looks smoking hot.

Test drove it again recently and I concur with you on the fueling at near idle rpms, it feels a bit vague.

Happy mile munching.
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 08:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your write up. The JTP edition of the Tiago really stands out compared to the normal car. Looks absolutely fantastic in red! Hats off to the design team. First the Hexa and now this - rare Tatas the make me turn my neck to get a good look.

Enjoy the car and drive safe. Such cars really make me happy
Santoshbhat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 09:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post

Service Centers
JTPs can only be serviced at what are called JT Special Vehicles Authorised Service Centers. There are only 40 of them across 11 states. The list of authorised service centers is actually slightly more that dealers who are selling JTP cars (35 across 11 states).
Congrats Sameer. One of the very few Test drive & Initial ownership report, which I thought was at par with TBHP official reviews.

Can you please post a photo of the JTSV Authorised Service Centres from the Owners Manual? I vaguely recollect reading somewhere during official launch that, though JTP cars can only be purchased from select few dealers, it can be serviced at any TATA Authorized Service Centre. I'm not sure now!

We don't have a dealership handling JTP cars in South Kerala yet, so that means the closest one is at least 220kms away at Cochin/Ernakulam.
arif_t01 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 09:40   #15
BHPian

Very well written, detailed and passionate review. I like it how the minor things are observed and detailed. This will surely help others to decide.

I drive a 1.6 Ikon. The below two points are sort of standard in it.
Car lunging at the tap of A pedal. I have learnt to live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
[*]Fueling is extremely snatchy and jerky – This is a problem. How big? Depends on the driver and conditions. Engine tuning is such that even a slight tap on throttle causes the car to lunge forward. Lift the leg off throttle pedal and there is aggressive engine braking. The net result is crazy head bobbing unless driver is feather light on the throttle. Luckily though, this issue is amplified only in Sport mode and a partial solution is to stay in city mode. Now, the city mode isn’t perfectly smooth but jerkiness is controlled to quite an extent.
[*]Steering is sharp and responsive – Again, I am only comparing with Tiago and the steering is slightly sharper. In comparison to other manufacturers, I like the way Tata tune their steering. They are precise and light at slow speeds warranting little effort. At high speed though, it could have done with little more weight.
Keep updating this thread.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2019 at 07:51. Reason: Minor formatting for improved readability
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks