Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2019, 20:29   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I guess that is fair! Loud enough to make one smile in person, but subtle enough to be missed by the usual recorders. And that is how it should be! It is a fine line. Else, it might drive you nuts on long drives or on specific days when you are not in the mood for it...
Agree - I have a custom exhaust on my Palio and it can be really tiring over a long drive. Even when you drive relaxed, the noise could be high. Once the enthusiasm tapers off (in the drive), you'll start cursing the high dBs. Plus, your non-enthusiastic passengers will never appreciate it.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 15:29   #62
BHPian

Nothing much to update on the ride since car sits as a dead paperweight for want of getting registered. Latest update is that registration may happen in coming week but I am not pinning many hopes on same.

Not going anywhere meant an opportunity for some TLC. I had gotten a Jopasu duster and Proklear waterless wash along with a few microfiber clothes online so put them to use. I already have designated a piece of cloth each for wiping and buffing and there is a spare one in car just in case.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190127_142927_edit.jpg

Using the duster is a revelation in itself. Even though I have a covered parking space, it is quite dusty here. Given that the car gets attention not more than once a week, there was a visible layer of dust and gently wiping it using the duster took it all off in a flash. I don't know how long the duster will last but the convenience it offers is unparalleled.

Next up was waterless wash. I won't say that it was necessary for the bodywork but I nevertheless went ahead and did it, just for testing it out. What it was necessary for and worked well was for windshield. I don't understand why the guys when getting car ready for delivery decided to clean the windshield from inside, leaving water spots all over. Careful use of waterless wash took off those marks. However, the liquid does leave a waxy residue which needs to be buffed off, especially more so on the glass. I'll probably get and stick with Colin in future. The end-result was satisfactory and I hope this will help keep swirl marks away.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190127_152903_edit.jpg

Also, received the JTP branded floor mats last week and put them in their place. These were missing during delivery but were promptly ordered.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190203_121313_edit.jpg

The quality is similar to regular Tiago mats except that these are jet black in colour while regular ones are grey. The contrasting red borders and JTP logo are eye-catching, to say the least.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190203_122500_edit.jpg

Fitting these mats while removing the Tiago mats which I had received complimentary during delivery made me realise that normal mats are far better for rear passenger area. JTP ones are quite small and don't cover the transmission tunnel either. Since, I am not expecting rear seats to be occupied much, went with the odd combination of JTP mats up front while retaining regular mats at rear.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190203_121843_edit.jpg

Meanwhile, a short drive in city meant that first milestone of crossing 1000 kms was brought up. If not for the registration delay, I would have been well past 2000 kms and would have reported on first service.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190202_184649_edit.jpg

Another observation I want to report is related to use of clutch when idling. The car idles at around 800 rpm when warm. However, depressing the clutch and letting go while staying in neutral causes RPM to jump to 1000-1100 rpm. This happens when the clutch is half released. The revs then settle down to 800 again with clutch fully released. The bigger challenge here is that jump in idle is not perfectly reproducible. At times, there is no jump and then sometimes the jump happens rapidly.

I have observed the car lunging forwards sometimes in traffic and I think that behaviour can be attributed to this. Is this behaviour due to some sensor (like secondary clutch switch in Figo S) which detects when clutch is half released and revs up in order to prevent stall? If so, I think the feature works as expected since it is very easy to get moving without the fear of stalling. But the downside is unexpected lunge forward in crawling traffic which can catch someone unaware.

I have captured this behaviour briefly in a video. There is no audio but notice the idle rpm moving around. Car is in neutral and rev counter moves when I release the clutch halfway.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 3rd February 2019 at 15:33.
ksameer1234 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 16:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

Images from small photo-shoot last weekend.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-jtp-tiago01.jpg

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-jtp-tiago02.jpg

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-jtp-tiago03.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 10:31   #64
BHPian

Again, 17+ kmpl on an enthusiast car. Even if there is a 10% variance in the actual mileage, it's still excellent figure for a car like this. I know, it is not fair to expect efficiency from a JTP, but if it does give good mileage, it will be a double dhamaka. Another reason to recommend these cars to our mileage-obsessed crowd.
motobliss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 13:57   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Have worked with Sameer to shoot exhaust video few days back with a borrowed GoPro; will share it in this thread soon.
Awaiting this video.

Congratulations Sameer! I'm sure the Tiago JTP will be the center of attraction of the recently planned Mumbai-Pune meet.

Keep revvin'
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 19:28   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I guess it will take something specific like a GoPro stuck in the most suitable places to capture these godly noises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Agree - I have a custom exhaust on my Palio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Awaiting this video.
Sharing first video for Tiago JTP Exhaust note, what better day to post/share it than Birthday for forum.

sukiwa is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 11:19   #67
BHPian

Quote:
However, now that I was keeping highway speeds, the issue with headlights’ adequacy manifested. I can’t imagine who decided that the high and low beams' alignment was fine. Both beams are never useful together. No amount of fidgeting with headlight level control works. When low beam is right, high beam points to the sky and when high beam is right, low beam shines no further than a few feet. I have lived with this same issue in Zest so either the problem is common with Tata cars or may be it is just me. Any which way, this is difficult to live with, if maintaining highway speeds at night.
Thank you such a detailed write up of your observations, it really helped know the JTP better.

Coming to Headlight focusing, so what is the solution..
after market projectors and HIDs ?

any solution you thought of for adequate lighting for night driving ?
Can't both High beam and low beam be set together and aligned ?
Sunsh!nes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 11:26   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Sharing first video for Tiago JTP Exhaust note, what better day to post/share it than Birthday for forum.
Amazing work by sukiwa! This was quite a difficult task since Tiago is just a tiny hatchback and fitting in there perfectly to record exhaust note was not easy feat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh!nes View Post
Coming to Headlight focusing, so what is the solution..after market projectors and HIDs ?

any solution you thought of for adequate lighting for night driving ?
Can't both High beam and low beam be set together and aligned ?
Have been quite busy over past few weeks so got little time to look at this issue. I hope there is an option to align high and low beam separately (KTM RC has this option and it is very convenient). As for the light, I want to upgrade but will need to check if there are potential warranty issues with it. Don't have much to update as of now though.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 15:18   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Fitting these mats while removing the Tiago mats which I had received complimentary during delivery made me realise that normal mats are far better for rear passenger area. JTP ones are quite small and don't cover the transmission tunnel either. Since, I am not expecting rear seats to be occupied much, went with the odd combination of JTP mats up front while retaining regular mats at rear.
Is it an option to keep the JTP ones over the regular mats at the rear? I however cannot figure why manufacturers ignore the transmission tunnel area while providing mats. Almost none provide mats for the boot either.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:14   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Have been quite busy over past few weeks so got little time .... Don't have much to update as of now though.

Sameer,

Any indications on real time mileage you are getting in city ?

I read in the normal Tiago thread that petrol version is giving around 9-10 kmpl in city !
Old 24th February 2019, 13:50   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Is it an option to keep the JTP ones over the regular mats at the rear?
There is an option to place JTP mats above the regular ones but there are some plastic protrusions below the mat to prevent them from sliding around. I was a bit worried if this might damage mats below hence chose not to place one mat on top of other. Honestly, the car is rarely going to see rear seat occupied so I am not particularly worried about not having JTP mats at the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Any indications on real time mileage you are getting in city ?
I read in the normal Tiago thread that petrol version is giving around 9-10 kmpl in city !
Good mileage is certainly not the strength of JTP. Also, the MID is hopelessly optimistic in displaying efficiency figures so I guess I should stop referring to those numbers.
To give you a perspective, my last couple full tanks have yielded 13-15 kpl for a lot of city traffic and highway drives staying at around 100 kph. Exclusively in bumper to bumper traffic, 9-10 kpl shouldn't be surprising. Effectively, when driven like it should be, JTP will deliver about 14-15 kpl. One can extract close to 17-18 kpl but that needs patience of a sage and feather-light control on throttle while maintaining 70-80 kph.

Meanwhile, last week, I did a lot of highway driving including Pune to Mumbai on expressway and Mumbai to Vapi on NH 48. The car is an absolute joy out on the highways. There was never an instance when car felt running out of breath. Keeping 90-100 kph is extremely easy and the car is utterly relaxed at these speeds. The best part is that there is more than enough power in reserve at these speeds for any overtake maneuver. 100 kph is clocked at a relaxed 2700 rpm and 120 kph comes at around 3100 rpm. The funniest part here is that turbo kick comes only post 3500 rpm. I am not going to report anything but leave it to the imagination of readers on what this car can accomplish. Every highway drive and I am falling deeper in love with the superlative performance on offer.

The car resting at a stop after belting it out on the highway. This little hatchback has deceptive looks and enough tricks under belt to surprise others.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190211_093333_edit.jpg

Several hours behind the steering wheel and I got irritated enough with misaligned steering wheel. There is someone at Tata Motors QC who likes to believe that steering must not be centered when wheel are straight. Thus, possibly every car since Zest days has been bestowed with off-center steering wheel tilted slightly to the left. Last week I decided to get this sorted and took car for wheel alignment. Getting the steering wheel pointed correctly was 5 minute job and also some values were out of spec which were put straight.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190217_103552_edit.jpg

This wheel alignment also gave me an opportunity to inspect the underbody when car was propped up on lift. It was good to see generous amount of rubberised coating which even prompted the guys there to exclaim that this is as good coating as offered by aftermarket options. I quickly took some crappy pics of underbody with my phone.
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190217_104455_edit.jpg

Seen here is the metal fuel tank and transmission tunnel housing exhaust with catalytic converter.

JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_20190217_104653_edit.jpg

Lots of running also meant that car was up for first inspection due between 1500-2000 kms. The inspection was a pretty quick affair getting done in about 45 minutes. Not much work was done apart from checking of all fluids and topping them up as needed. Irritatingly, the mechanic decided that he must fiddle with brakes and made the travel hard and feel wooden like Tiago. Luckily, about a 100 kms post that and brakes feel a lot better.

As for the service experience, it is exactly similar to getting any other Tata car serviced. There isn't any differentiation or even personalised treatment for the car / owner. Honestly, I am fine so long as activities happen as per maintenance schedule and service center does the job properly.

All in all, the car is very potent on highways and can easily keep up with cars from several classes above. The fuel efficiency though is nothing great to write about. I wasn’t expecting mileage figures like Tiago but had slightly better expectations thatn 13-15 kpl I am getting currently. Efficiency can be improved but that comes at the cost of fun, so tough choice there!
ksameer1234 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 20:14   #72
Senior - BHPian

Sharing images from a recent photo-shoot.

First glance
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7344afp.jpg

New day, new beginning for Tiago JTP
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7369afp.jpg
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7385afp.jpg
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7356afp.jpg

Truly apt key-chain
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7395.jpg

Notice the illuminated keyhole
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7403.jpg

Cabin
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7398.jpg

Sporty pedals in a sporty car
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7399.jpg

JTP badges
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7362.jpg
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7480.jpg

Hot hatch needs a panning shot
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7456.jpg

Some random shots
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7462afp.jpg
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7486.jpg
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7560afp.jpg
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7591afp.jpg

Object in the mirror is of a fast approaching hot hatch
JTSV Tiago JTP roars into the garage! Edit: 6,000 kms up-img_7610afp.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 17:08   #73
BHPian

Great efforts @sukiwa and @ksameer1234 seems you guys reached the destination before sunrise!

Who was driving 'The Gentle Giant', Innova? Sukiwa is giving media houses a run for their money with his photography/videography skills! Great work.

Recently spotted a Tigor JTP in the same color, Pune registered. Walked up to the owner and congratulated him on his purchase. The guy was smiling ear to ear. Good to see these cars on road.

Keep revvin'
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 10:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneeth2 View Post
A little correction. Tiago JTP is a petrol.
If one bought a Ferrari and didn't hear some sporty sound of the engine, the exhaust and so on would it have the same experience. I, for one, would be happy to live with some sound that gives one the feeling that one is driving a petrol engine with some horses waiting to get free!
Old 25th March 2019, 15:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Sharing images from a recent photo-shoot.
Thanks Sukiwa for these drool-worthy pics!! The photoshoot was absolute fun and made me completely my severe throat infection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Sukiwa is giving media houses a run for their money with his photography/videography skills!
Those superlative skills coupled with unbelievable enthusiasm made the day memorable. The thoughtfulness and attention to detail has made each picture stand out.

Quote:
Who was driving 'The Gentle Giant', Innova? Great work.
I helmed the Innova while wife was behind JTP wheels for those tracking shots. More often than not, I made a mess getting reprimanded as well.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks